• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Toots

Gold Member
I don't know who got the idea for Super Earth (and the whole capitalistico-facist flavour of the game) but he is, as much as it rip my ass in half saying those antithetical words together, a marketing genius.

DelireMan7

I hope the friendly fire and frequent death element isn’t overdone.

It’s one of those things that is fun for an hour and then quickly gets irritating, especially if there’s nothing you can do to avoid it.
It was pretty fun on the first one. And you can get revive pretty quickly.

But now with the Shoulder view, I think there will be less friendly fire. Just have to have watch out for explosive and air strike.

Last edited:
R
I don't know who got the idea for Super Earth (and the whole capitalistico-facist flavour of the game) but he is, as much as it rip my ass in half saying those antithetical words together, a marketing genius.
Robert Heinlein?
He wrote Starship Troopers back in like, the 50s.. and while the satire is there, its much less modern and more focused on sci-fi than satire.

Would you like to know more?

The book is told a lot through letters, much like soldiers would have written in WW2 and satirizes how people would feel about the war. There's incredibly little action BUT the troops drop down via pods like Helldivers (one thing the movie dropped)
The movie is possibly the best war satire ever made. Far more action satirizing more the actions of war itself. Also is absolutely top shelf in general.

Im doing my part!

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
R

Robert Keinlein?
He wrote Starship Troopers back in like, the 50s.. and while the satire is there, its much less modern than satire today (or the movie).
Heinlein !
I know and even read starship troopers (étoiles, garde à vous ! in french ie Stars, stand at attention ! so poetic i remember it decades later). I mean the dude who wrote this game is inspired but he put his own spin which i like.
It's good to see vg writers being inspired to do cool stuff like that, and it's grat for them because they can shove politics down our throats through their art the way it was always intended, subtely.

Edit : Ok after watching a few vids it is realllllllyyyyyy Starship trooper inspired you are right a bit too much maybe for an unlicensed game. I gues the writers put their own bro-ish flavor to Heinlein material (the leave of absence certificate is much more tongue in cheek than Heinlein's tone in the book) which is different i guess...

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The fuck is wrong with yall? This is a PVE game, not PVP where pay to win matters.
Pay to win matters in all games.

If I go into a co op session and Joe Blow next to me has a 4 headed cock smacking rocket launcher that instantly melts the screen that normally would take 100+ hours to get to and be used in harder difficulties, but has it instead thanks to his $10 on easy mode level 3…. Yeah that’s a problem.

Accessing gameplay elements no matter the genre should never be behind a pay wall. Cosmetics are fine.

demigod

If I go into a co op session and Joe Blow next to me has a 4 headed cock smacking rocket launcher that instantly melts the screen that normally would take 100+ hours to get to and be used in harder difficulties, but has it instead thanks to his $10 on easy mode level 3…. Yeah that’s a problem.

Accessing gameplay elements no matter the genre should never be behind a pay wall. Cosmetics are fine.
No it does not. Stop with your bs fake concern. Nobody gives a fuck about pay to win in a pve game, stop trolling.

There are already single player games that offer early unlocks for money yet nobody complains about it because they aren’t forced to buy it.

Trogdor1123

No it does not. Stop with your bs fake concern. Nobody gives a fuck about pay to win in a pve game, stop trolling.

There are already single player games that offer early unlocks for money yet nobody complains about it because they aren’t forced to buy it.
This is one of the worst posts ever on gaf.

Do you always do what the wallet inspector tells you to do?

Trogdor1123

Your post is even worse, what are you even trying to get at?
Yes, mine is worse because I called you out for advocating for companies to lock things behind paywalls. You are saying in a multi player game it is totally fine for someone to be able to spend more money to be better than you? It’s not a f2p game either.

Do you understand what you are posting? Really?

Arsic

Discuss like an adult or you will be removed from the thread.

You may want to go talk to the doctor about mental retardation. You are clearly not diagnosed with severe downs, and somehow made it this far in life without someone telling you.

quantum-leap-mirror.gif

demigod

Yes, mine is worse because I called you out for advocating for companies to lock things behind paywalls. You are saying in a multi player game it is totally fine for someone to be able to spend more money to be better than you? It’s not a f2p game either.

Do you understand what you are posting? Really?
And I never did advocate them to lock it behind paywalls. Games with those paywalls you can unlock without paying. If it’s there, it doesn’t bother or affect me.

Now do you understand with your fake concern?

Arsic

And I never did advocate them to lock it behind paywalls. Games with those paywalls you can unlock without paying. If it’s there, it doesn’t bother or affect me.

If it takes you hundreds of hours to get a gun, but Joe can spend $10 to have it instantly, and this doesn’t bother you, then see my previous post.

It should.

You called my post trolling and now are calling the cops because your intelligence got called into question?

Yikes dude.

Trogdor1123

They will use this against you. That’s the point. They will railroad you into spending more money. That is the point. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. But I might have a bridge for sale if you are interested…

Toots

Gold Member
This is one of the worst posts ever on gaf.

Do you always do what the wallet inspector tells you to do?
Your post is even worse, what are you even trying to get at?

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

Giving yourselves entirely to the dark side you did.
Lost all mesure you have and cannot realize you guys are basically magic mirroring yourselves like third graders...

GAAS is truly a Palpatine plot to bring out the worst in everyone.

(Also stop sending yourselves flowers, it takes talent to be the best or the worst at anything.)

demigod

They will use this against you. That’s the point. They will railroad you into spending more money. That is the point. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you. But I might have a bridge for sale if you are interested…
Nope, does not affect me nor will I spend money on those DLC. Go make a new thread against those if it concerns you. I’d place my bet that you won’t.

Trogdor1123

Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

Giving yourselves entirely to the dark side you did.
Lost all mesure you have and cannot realize you guys are basically magic mirroring yourselves like third graders...

GAAS is truly a Palpatine plot to bring out the worst in everyone.

(Also stop sending yourselves flowers, it takes talent to be the best or the worst at anything.)
lol fair enough. I’m a total hypocrite here too as I like the gaas model. I’m definitely part of the problem.

Trogdor1123

Nope, does not affect me nor will I spend money on those DLC. Go make a new thread against those if it concerns you. I’d place my bet that you won’t.
Look, I don’t even know what you are saying now. I’m just going to say we disagree and leave it at that.

tmlDan

why does that matter? be grateful he can help you

Trogdor1123

- Stomach issues
- Cat kept me awake all night
- In-law passed
- A/C is out
- Kids are sick

trying out my call-out excuses for tomorrow
Explosive diarrhea is always a good one. Mention the digestive issues in passing today to plant the seed. Tomorrow you blossom in turd land!

STARSBarry

Gold Member
why does that matter? be grateful he can help you

Because even when a character is so OP due to a balancing issue no other character can have fun because everything is dead then guess what 3/4 people arnt having fun.

As a literal example of this in a GaaS after the ability patch on Darktide, Psykers where so OP that people started leaving the games they where in, Psykers started moaning on the forums that no one would play with them and it was no fun doing 4 man Psyker groups (gee I wonder why?)

And that was due to a BALANCE issue, having the ability for people to bypass that intentionally by paying money is fucking awful, and it's why Pay 2 Win matters in coop games, because there's 2-3 other people that want to play the game...

So go on, fucking help me, tell me why this event that literally happened is wrong.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Because even when a character is so OP due to a balancing issue no other character can have fun because everything is dead then guess what 3/4 people arnt having fun.

As a literal example of this in a GaaS after the ability patch on Darktide, Psykers where so OP that people started leaving the games they where in, Psykers started moaning on the forums that no one would play with them and it was no fun doing 4 man Psyker groups (gee I wonder why?)

And that was due to a BALANCE issue, having the ability for people to bypass that intentionally by paying money is fucking awful, and it's why Pay 2 Win matters in coop games, because there's 2-3 other people that want to play the game...

So go on, fucking help me, tell me why this event that literally happened is wrong.
well, if you're being dramatic to the extent they will help (aka be OP) then yea it could be a problem, but if they are just slightly better as a result and not breaking the game its not an issue, imo

Last edited:

Helldivers isn't the type of game where players are overpowered. You die easily no matter your gear and Weapons

Luipadre

Not preordering, but cant wait to play it. Im working tomorrow so i'll just gonna watch lirik plays it and see how it is and probably gonna buy it on friday

STARSBarry

Gold Member
well, if you're being dramatic to the extent they will help then yea it could be a problem, but if they are just slightly better as a result and not breaking the game its not an issue, imo

Your absolutely spot on, but then, that requires them not to overstep, and iv seen plenty of coop games overstep to push for more profit. The easy one is to release some premium broken piece of equipment. Get the youtubers talking about it, that it's OP, let it stay OP for a month as eveyone buys it, nerf it into the floor for "balance reasons," release the next OP piece of equipment the following week and repeat the cycle above.

Helldivers isn't the type of game where players are overpowered. You die easily no matter your gear and Weapons

Helldivers was, however helldivers didn't have a rotating shop front for gear either, see the issue? Your trusting based on past experience of the prior title and iv been through the whole Vermintide to Darktide experience to know how far assumptions get you on what a sequel is like.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a preorder down, but this "trust in the developers" needs to be proven to PC players after the nGuard debacle and the FOMO store front reveal, can't wait to see that every item is 2200 in the store and packs of Magic Money are sold for 2000 +100 free BONUS credits. With the lowest being sold in packs of 500. Trust is not the defualt position with a GaaS, it never should be.

Last edited:

draliko

P2w in a pve game is a concern only if it hinder me not if it make the game easier for who's paying. Don't screw normal people and if somebody want to pay to get a lift I don't care, not everyone has the same free time....
If it was PvP on the other hand....

Your absolutely spot on, but then, that requires them not to overstep, and iv seen plenty of coop games overstep to push for more profit. The easy one is to release some premium broken piece of equipment. Get the youtubers talking about it, that it's OP, let it stay OP for a month as eveyone buys it, nerf it into the floor for "balance reasons," release the next OP piece of equipment the following week and repeat the cycle above.

Helldivers was, however helldivers didn't have a rotating shop front for gear either, see the issue? Your trusting based on past experience of the prior title and iv been through the whole Vermintide to Darktide experience to know how far assumptions get you on what a sequel is like.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a preorder down, but this "trust in the developers" needs to be proven to PC players after the nGuard debacle and the FOMO store front reveal, can't wait to see that every item is 2200 in the store and packs of Magic Money are sold for 2000 +100 free BONUS credits. With the lowest being sold in packs of 500. Trust is not the defualt position with a GaaS, it never should be.
I understand being concerned down the line but I highly doubt it will be an issue at launch, where Sony wants to grow its player base. It would make little sense to have such predatory microtransactions on release.

Regardless, it is a PvE game, so you get to choose who you play with

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I hope the friendly fire and frequent death element isn’t overdone.

It’s one of those things that is fun for an hour and then quickly gets irritating, especially if there’s nothing you can do to avoid it.
But before there was unlimited respawn, people are gonna be way more salty with only 20 lives to waste:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
- Stomach issues
- Cat kept me awake all night
- In-law passed
- A/C is out
- Kids are sick

trying out my call-out excuses for tomorrow
"Hey -- so my cat passed my in-law in the stool, which is when I learned she had stomach issues. My kids ate the cat as revenge, so they are sick. I didn't sleep at all last night, not because of any of these reasons, but because my AC was out.

Anyway, Helldivers 2 is launching tomorrow. Can I have an off day so I can play it on day one? Thanks!"

Top Bottom