• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 shows us that "chasing trends" works...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Absolutely. The ps360 era was the last huzzah for actual fun co-op.

Sure we get a few great games here n there like wildlands or HD2 but devs absolutely hate co-op these days.

Like basically all games at this point should be co-op barring very few titles.

Any call of duty campaign should be co-op, jedi survivor? How would that game have not been infinitely better with a bud doing dually sabers.

Elden ring seamless co-op mod is the best way to play that game I'm finding out on my 3rd playthrough with mates
I'm thinking lack of coop or couch MP is partly because of online play, but also an ulterior motive.

If a game allows too much couch or online coop play with buddies or family, a gamer will focus on having fun with them instead of being ultra competitive against randoms. If you focus on playing with friends, you'll probably care less about buying mtx. But if you play against randoms you'll focus more on winning, ranking up and buying mtx to compensate.

That's my theory at least.

Spyxos

Gold Member
There's roughly 4 genres that make waves in the multiplayer space nowadays...

1. Team based sports games.
2. Battle Royale/Extraction
3. Survival
4. Co-OP

Helldivers 2 blew up because it wasn't a fighter, it wasn't an arena shooter, it wasn't an RTS.

PlayStation identified a trendy genre, supported a studio that made games in that genre and...voila, it worked! Their "big gamble" paid off handsomely. What are the odds?

May this be a lesson to those who say publishers shouldn't "chase trends". No, they actually should.

671af244-89b3-4b77-ab9c-8c5a80fd857f_text.gif
It could just as easily have backfired. It was what 8 years in the making? If it takes that long, it might not interest anyone by the time it comes out because the market is oversaturated or other types of games are more popular.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It could just as easily have backfired. It was what 8 years in the making? If it takes that long, it might not interest anyone by the time it comes out because the market is oversaturated or other types of games are more popular.

Every game is a gamble. No game is guaranteed to be a hit.

However, releasing your game in a trending genre so very clearly helps. To deny as such is deny reality itself.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Every game is a gamble. No game is guaranteed to be a hit.

However, releasing your game in a trending genre so very clearly helps. To deny as such is deny reality itself.
Well, as far as I know, it's also the only game in this category that has had such an extreme impact recently.

StueyDuck

I'm thinking lack of coop or couch MP is partly because of online play, but also an ulterior motive.

If a game allows too much couch or online coop play with buddies or family, a gamer will focus on having fun with them instead of being ultra competitive against randoms. If you focus on playing with friends, you'll probably care less about buying mtx. But if you play against randoms you'll focus more on winning, ranking up and buying mtx to compensate.

That's my theory at least.
I understand couch co-op being dropped for sure. I mean I don't ever play except very few occasions.

You are absolutely right though that the pvp experience is always focused on more, gotta milk sales and skins and battle passes and all that also.

I just see so many SP games that have no reason not to include co-op. I mean sure I get it, then have to then develop their net infrastructure and net code and so on. But if most devs just knew they were making co-op they'd plan that out in pre prod anyway.

It just disappoints me because are so much more connected than ever. Processessors are stronger than ever and we still can't just get two players running around enjoying a campaign.

There are a few titles I get it because of how they are handling their loading and camera like God of War for example. But playing hogwarts and not being co-op is like why would you not do this 🤣. I don't need some in game lore reason or special co-op designed levels or cutscenes. Just be sp till it's time for gameplay then boop there's my mate, and we're off

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, as far as I know, it's also the only game in this category that has had such an extreme impact recently.
You got to talk about hit rates. That means "# of at bats vs # of hits".

If you looked at the # of quality effort co-op games released over the last 10 years and how many hit as a result, you'd find the hit rate.

Spyxos

Gold Member
You got to talk about hit rates. That means "# of at bats vs # of hits".

If you looked at the # of quality effort co-op games released over the last 10 years and how many hit as a result, you'd find the hit rate.
I don't understand that.

Hugare

I think those developers really only care about hitting financial incentives. They want steady work that benefits their bank accounts. You don't join a AAA studio if you're driven by making creative choices.
Devs working for Santa Monica, Naughty Dog or Rockstar, for example, dont care only about money. I can garantee you.

Devs working there are the best in the indutry. You can bet that they receive better offers all the time. But working on the best studios means way more than just money for some.

And that's not something exclusive to game dev, but to every industry. Specially those that are art driven.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Devs working for Santa Monica, Naughty Dog or Rockstar, for example, dont care only about money. I can garantee you.

Devs working there are the best in the indutry. You can bet that they receive better offers all the time. But working on the best studios means way more than just money for some.

And that's not something exclusive to game dev, but to every industry. Specially those that are art driven.

Was there a mass exodus when a percentage of them were working on Factions 2?

No. No there was not.

Imagine being in the war room at a giant publisher and they're talking about what games to make over the next 10 years.

If you blurted out "Let's just make good games everyone", it would be awkward AF. That's not particularly helpful when discussing industry trends.
It'd be fucking awesome. Don't lie to yourself, Hatorade.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You are really working overtime to come up with the worst threads possible
In this very thread, we have people claiming that trends stop at 7 years, that co-op games were more successful pre internet gaming, and the only things that's required is to make "a good game" to be successful.

Educating the public, though it may anger some, is a noble cause.

_76897294_dead-poets-society.jpg

Sir, please direct your criticisms where they are most beneficial.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

In this very thread, we have people claiming that trends stop at 7 years, that co-op games were more successful pre internet gaming, and the only things that's required is to make "a good game" to be successful.

Educating the public, though it may anger some, is a noble cause.

_76897294_dead-poets-society.jpg

Sir, please direct your criticisms where they are most beneficial.
Because making a Co-op shooter is trend chasing? Other people being wrong don't automatically make you right.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Because making a Co-op shooter is trend chasing? Other people being wrong don't automatically make you right.
Do you really think it was luck that PlayStation backed a studio with co-op experience over one making JRPGs, music rhythm games, RTSs, or puzzle ganes?

Certainly not.

ba4bdd6737dbe792f591f01f8ed088cb.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do you really think it was luck that PlayStation backed a studio with co-op experience over one making JRPGs, music rhythm games, RTSs, or puzzle ganes?
In your mind gaming industry should only makes games thats popular and trendy?

That fucking miserable, you literally want suck all the fun out of video game industry.....seriously WTF is wrong with you?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In your mind gaming industry should only makes games thats popular and trendy?

That fucking miserable, you literally want suck all the fun out of video game industry.....seriously WTF is wrong with you?

Wrong AGAIN my dear friend.

You always have to measure your capabilities with what you want to do. Large, capable, ambitious publishers should focus on healthy genres and leave the smaller targets to the rest of the industry.

Obviously, a small team may be better suited to make a JRPG for example.

nial

Gold Member

Certainly not.

ba4bdd6737dbe792f591f01f8ed088cb.jpg
I hope you realize that Sony is publishing a big Japanese RPG next month.

Back 4 Blood
Redfall
Strange Brigade
Payday 3
World War Z
Darktide
Vermintide

Among countless indie and PC only games that chased the trend and failed. What HD2 proved is good games at a good price will sell.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Back 4 Blood
Redfall
Strange Brigade
Payday 3
World War Z
Darktide
Vermintide

Among countless indie and PC only games that chased the trend and failed. What HD2 proved is good games at a good price will sell.

Barry Bonds career batting average is .298

Hit rate my friend. Hit rate.

nial

Gold Member
"Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is an upcoming action role-playing game developed and published by Square Enix."
I said next month.
Rise of the Rōnin is an upcoming action-role playing video game developed by Koei Tecmo's Team Ninja and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. The game is scheduled to release for the PlayStation 5 on March 22, 2024.

I mean HD1 is a thing right? HD2 is an iteration of that base.

for what i have seen I would say that is the opposite, they approached the "chasing trends" in their own way not just copy-paste.q

Exactly this.

Helldivers is a hit because it does the opposite of Ubisofting copy/pasting any current formula.

Besides, this game is an iteration of what they have been doing for years.

Haven and London Studio, on the other hand...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
May this be a lesson to those who say publishers shouldn't "chase trends". No, they actually should.
In last month+ we also got Palworld and Suicide Squad - so that's 2 for 3 as far as 'trend chasing works' this year. I'd argue you need a larger sample than - 3 - to argue your point though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In last month+ we also got Palworld and Suicide Squad - so that's 2 for 3 as far as 'trend chasing works' this year. I'd argue you need a larger sample than - 3 - to argue your point though.
I think if you look at the last 10+ years, you'll see the co-op genre outperforms many others.

Audiophile

setting trends with good execution > chasing trends with good execution >> setting trends with bad execution >>>> chasing trends with bad execution

Top Bottom