• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Games Sean Murray will be on the Late Show with Colbert next week demoing NMS

Man, if Colbert was a gaffer he should ask one thing and one thing only to Sean Murray..... What do you doooooooooooo?

On a more serious note, I find it weird that they listed PDP as a comedian. I guess to kids he's funny? I don't know I don't watch him.

Good that Sony and Hello Games are getting No Mans Sky more exposure. I have a feeling they're gonna need it, possibly for PSVR?

If you follow Murray on Twitter then you know he is partial to the not so cryptic cryptic tweet here and there. I came across this tweet weeks ago.

NAG72dv.jpg

Is it possible this might well be the release date announcement?

That's not Sean Murray. Sean Murray is at @NoMansSky. That's a fan account. Notice there's a 'The' at the start of the handle.

Plus, says this as its profile. "No-Mans-Sky.net Fan Community"

They previewed this game way too early. I know they got hit by set backs but still. My hype for this game has all but faded. I guess Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen have been a part of that. No denying that Sean Murray is a bit of a goofball and fun to watch interviewed.

charpunk

If you follow Murray on Twitter then you know he is partial to the not so cryptic cryptic tweet here and there. I came across this tweet weeks ago.

NAG72dv.jpg

Is it possible this might well be the release date announcement?

Isn't that a fan twitter account? @nomanssky is the Sean Murray one, not @thenomanssky.

Edit: and beaten

RexNovis

Banned
Off topic but, no offense to Sean Murray, the real news here is BILL WITHERS!?!?
We 9/30: John Oliver, Elizabeth Gilbert, Bill Withers, Ed Sheeran
Holy shit! Easily one of the greatest musicians of all time. No question. I would lose my mind if I ever met him.

Edit: For those of you unaware educate yourselves

No way is it going to be free, but I think the release date might be sooner than expected.

It would make sense... create massive hype for the console right before the major fall releases hit. I think game like this could sell PS4 consoles.... we will see though. Rocket League was a surprise when it turned out to be a PS+ game as well.

Haven't watched since week 1, is the show still unfunny and awkward? It felt like it could have been good after a few weeks so I might give it another shot.

It would make sense... create massive hype for the console right before the major fall releases hit. I think game like this could sell PS4 consoles.... we will see though. Rocket League was a surprise when it turned out to be a PS+ game as well.

Sure, but Rocket League didn't have two years of hype before it released. I think it would be foolish of them to give it away for free as the thirst for this game is real and people will gladly pay $20-$30 for it.

Do you guys think we'll have to wait until launch to find out how the vast majority of the game plays (we still haven't seen space combat, trading, teaming up with factions, economy, etc), and are we just going to get repeated demos of Sean landing on various colored planets and walking up to various colored animals?

That's awesome, didn't know Colbert was into gaming other than the politics of it like harassment campaigns or Jack Thompson. Or maybe it's his editors or showrunners who have good taste.

That's awesome, didn't know Colbert was into gaming other than the politics of it like harassment campaigns or Jack Thompson. Or maybe it's his editors or showrunners who have good taste.

He's pretty well known for being nerdy. It isn't hard to see him extending an interest into gaming, especially as it is becoming more mainstream.

The spread of this game is quite something. I've had proper non gamers ask me about this game. So, I've dutifully told them what I know and how it works. This is only going to spread it more.

One thing does concern me, I think myself and many others will certainly enjoy what this game has to offer, but I can't help thinking that so many people are going to pick this up and WTF. They may not get the open structure, not see the clever stuff going on behind the scenes in the game and just be lost and bored in it. Can Hello Games avoid this?

It's a legit concern but not as *much* a concern in a post-Minecraft world.

labx

Banned
Not really. It's only being made by 8 people. Dev cost has to be pretty low. It will sell decently I think.

Sony will milk NMS until the end. Made by 8 people and all, make the product more "valuable". "we are a small team with big ideas thats a pitch sale right there.

Rocket League had plenty of DLC to sell, and needed a large community to prosper as a multiplayer game. PS Plus was a smart fit. NMS needs none of that.

Will all the news and press this game gets it better damn well be fantastic. What a profound let down it'll be if it comes out and is a hot turd. Basically end that guys career, at least mainstream anyway.

I hope it is not super awkward.

Frankly, I think Shawn will draw people to this game. He's got a really honest, slightly awkward demeanor that feels more genuine than your average gaming spokesperson. Usually when games get demoed on TV, it's a PR person spouting the same list of bulletpoints with a canned personality. Murray genuinely cares about this thing, and it shows.

AND I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME... nobody thinks that MAYBE the game will bomb? I mean is a plausible scenario.

There is absolutely no way that tons of people don't love this game.

-It's huge. Infinite content means it's worth infinite dollars to the everyman. The second Sean scrolls out that galaxy map wallets open.

-It looks nice. Unlike minecraft, the graphics are stylized and work within a small budget without seeming so. At first glance, it looks like a game that someone could buy for $60. It looks like a "real game" to both casual and hardcore gamers.

-they keep selling that the player can do anything, and that it feels like a "real world to explore". They are selling it not as a game to be beaten or a story to be participated in, but as a de facto Holodeck that enables the player to simulate the experience of sci fi space travel and exploration. That's the golden ticket. Everyone wants to go to space.

There's a reason it's being demoed on the Late Show. Critics, hardcore gamers, casual gamers, nongamers, they all want to go to space. And that's all they need to know to make a purchase.

I am loving the Late Show with Colbert...basically the Colbert Report for an hour. The guy is brilliant and has more energy than Kimmel, Fallon and Conan combined. Glad to see he is having gaming industry guests.

What is PewDiePie's demographic, because it seems like it might actually be younger than what the Late Show is aiming for.
Are you not the least bit curious to see him out of character discussing life? This would be like having a kids entertainer discussing with adults. I'm definitely interested

What is PewDiePie's demographic, because it seems like it might actually be younger than what the Late Show is aiming for.

I imagine it's a demographic that this type of show needs to tap into to have any chance of long-term survival. I'm really enjoying the new Late Show so far but it's hard to shake the feeling that it's the last gasp of a dying format.

Top Bottom