• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me do cool electronic stuff to my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

My house is nearing completion (end of next month) and I really want to do some cool stuff electronic wise.

Here's what I currently have to work with.

The basement is going to be like a blank canvas. So far there is a 55" LED, 5.1 system, blu player, fios cable and 360 that's going to go down there.

The living room I'm less concerned about. 55" LCD above the mantle and a blu player, that's it so far.

So what I need are ideas. I've been trying to watch more HGTV, but nothing on those shows ever seems to fill my interest.

Here are a few things I was thinking.

We definitely side with Apple products, so maybe Apple TVs in the basement and living room for streaming content off the iMac/using our phones as remotes?

What about a HTPC? What are the major advantages over just getting an Apple TV? Game playing wouldn't be that important to me, since I have he 360. And since most of the stuff is Apple, would a Mac Mini be a better (but more expensive) fit?

What about a second 360 in the living room? But could netflix be playing on one, and me be signed into my account in another? I'm guessing no.

Really the sky is the limit here. I want to do something cool, I just don't have concrete ideas and want to know what you guys have done/seen/would do.

Suggest away!

A doorbell. Your friends will be all impressed when they come to your door and you tell them that they don't have to knock.

Daheza

Personally I have always wanted to install ethernet outlets next to power outlets so i can have internets everywhere. also think LAN party

i guess this isnt a problem if you have wifi

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You want class?

Then you need a rackmounted minidisc player.
GX49e.jpg

Beautiful.

giga

Personally I have always wanted to install ethernet outlets next to power outlets so i can have internets everywhere. also think LAN party

I think a whole house wired gigabit network is still a good idea because you'll never have to worry about bandwidth, interference, or range. Throw in a NAS, Apple TV, and baby you've got a stew going.

quickwhips

I think a whole house wired gigabit network is still a good idea because you'll never have to worry about bandwidth, interference, or range. Throw in a NAS, Apple TV, and baby you've got a stew going.

I just got done doing this last year with a patch panel in the back room. It came out really nice. It beats wifi any day imho. I know everyone can't do it but if you can you should. I left 2 jacks at every outlet and coaxial cable at each outlet.

SeanR1221

Ethernet ports in every room isn't a bad idea at all, thank you.

Also, the mantle probably isn't as high as you're thinking. This is from the model home, but it gives you an idea.

127315462475af9ee1.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's too high for me. If sitting on the couch your head is not level to watch TV, its too high. And a 55 inch is monstrous at that height.

But i second the ethernet idea. Best electronic thing about our house, ethernet in every room, all centrally connected to a router panel. Wifi works but not as good as wired.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Ethernet ports in every room isn't a bad idea at all, thank you.

Also, the mantle probably isn't as high as you're thinking. This is from the model home, but it gives you an idea.

127315462475af9ee1.jpg

Would rather watch a 3 year old crappy 30 inch 720p tv near seated height than a 55 inch 1080p amazing quality TV at a height/angle like that.

dudeworld

All that stuff you listed can be done when the house is finished. What you should really think about is the internet jacks in every room like others have suggested (I have this in my house too, its great). Also, speakers in the ceiling. I've got these as well and depending on what control pad you get, you can control the volume/radio/input from any room.

also, consider getting ipod touchs or ipads in your walls

Y9NKRl.jpg

8EOUdl.jpg

Touch screen panel to control lights, heating, air conditioning etc.? Dunno how doable it is, but it would be pretty kick ass.

Edit: fuck beaten.

SeanR1221

All that stuff you listed can be done when the house is finished. What you should really think about is the internet jacks in every room like others have suggested (I have this in my house too, its great). Also, speakers in the ceiling. I've got these as well and depending on what control pad you get, you can control the volume/radio/input from any room.

also, consider getting ipod touchs or ipads in your walls

Y9NKRl.jpg

8EOUdl.jpg

But if I wanted speakers in the living room I'd have to get a separate 5.1 system, correct?

Also, I guess the Apple TV would be the best/cheapest way to configure that. Apple TV hooked up to the surround, and then an iPhone or iPad to control it.

dudeworld

But if I wanted speakers in the living room I'd have to get a separate 5.1 system, correct?

Also, I guess the Apple TV would be the best/cheapest way to configure that. Apple TV hooked up to the surround, and then an iPhone or iPad to control it.

You can use the speaker in the ceiling for the TV but you'd probably get better surround sound with a dedicated system

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Mounting an iPod/iPad in your wall is tacky. You're better than that, SeanR1221.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, using it as a remote is a great idea.

41lje.jpg

Get the Nest Thermostat. They learn your schedule after a few days of use and communicate with each other. Can also be controlled from your iPhone from anywhere.

Ethernet through out a house is very nice. I find wireless get's slower the more walls it has to pass through.

Also get a good receiver with speakers that have large drivers. Speakers with at least 2x 5.5" drivers for big sound. (I would look for speakers with much larger drivers, or have somebody build you a home theater if you can afford it.)

-Wire all your shades and thermostat to be controlled as you're coming and going/on a timer/to be controlled with your phone.

-set up a video security system that uses an input on your theater system. So you can hit a button and see what's going on if you need to.

-mount a screen/ipod dock in the kitchen... it'll make you a lot more likely to cook things and do dishes.

Mr. Robot

You could try getting those lights that change color depending on what's on screen, don't remember what they are called but i saw them here.

def sim

Put me in the group against placing the TV above the mantle. It's fine to look up while at a bar or some outdoor setting, but living with it will feel silly. I visited my father last summer and he had a similar set up; I didn't enjoy it much. It's not fatigue or anything like that, it simply feels unnatural not to watch at eye level when you have the option to.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sorry for the bump, but what did you end up doing.

I found this thread again because we may be buying a home soon and I wanted to look into the Nest Thermostats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom