• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me GAF, Losing my mind due to US gaming media PS3 hate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
First let me say I love what Sony and MS have both bring to the table. I loved Sega and even looked forward to M2- Matsushita’s console as well back in the day. So please no trolling or sarcastic comments

So I took a break from the gaming media around 2003 as I graduated college, still played but just looked at scores. So few months before 2006 E3 I started paying attention much more since I had just bought a 360 and was exited about PS3. I started reading blogs sites and other newcomers on the gaming scene. I quickly noticed there was huge criticism on the PS3. I thought to myself wow I have never seen major consoles be critiqued like this. What the hell are those fools at Sony doing!

Many sites started claiming Sony was going to charge $800-$1000 for a PS3 and that it will have few games. They claimed 1080P was undoable and that Sony could not possibly offer online gaming for free even if it was just gaming. I would see analyst and the media say that Sony would have nothing to show at E3 and that it would be all just movies. That it was impossible since they were not ready. Not to mention, Anonymous/MS developers were saying the 360 architecture was more powerful and better for games.

So naturally, being that I loved the PS2, I began to worry. How did it get this bad? I thought. So I did a bit of research, learned about the Cell, what 1080P was all about, and what little info Sony had released. I couldn’t find anything to justify all the criticism so I left it at that. Then E3 2006 came around and as I looked at the Sony conference. I thought “wow, every negative thing I heard was dismissed in a hurry.” 1080P games possible, Beautiful games out, Final Fantasy XIII, Lair, NG Big, Warhawk and MGS4! I was blown away! Even remember the guy from IGN being interviewed and he said "Yep Sony is going to take it again". So I go on the internetz to see some of the reactions and honest to god I thought “WTF, did I watch a different E3?” Everyone was down at Sony. I didn’t get it.

As the months went by it gets worse but every time I hear negative news I notice it's just negative spin. So I settled on GAF since it seemed to be much more civilized and less bias. I was still spending more time defending Sony than actually enjoying the gaming news. Negative or positive since it was most likely incorrect (no wonder SDF came about). Now the system is released and I love it. Using bluetooth headset, my keyboard, linux, Online store, and Resistance gives me everything halo2 did plus much more. Not to mention the Jap Motorstorm I bought along with Fight Night.

So now GAF, I ask you why is this happening to me? Is it because the competition has never been stronger? Is MS FUD strategy in the US really that strong? I am a developer and work with JEE which is a competitor of .Net and have seen the MS FUD machine at its best with Java and Linux but never like this. Is it just price hate? I just cannot justify it. I’m starting to hate the gaming media now and lose complete respect for them. My love for games has become jaded. Can you save me GAF?

7Th

I don't know why, but reading the whole post made me laugh.

Gaming Journalism - Serious Business: The Triology.

Zaptruder

Banned
Sorry man... as a Sony supporter, brother to brother, I have to say...

AHAHAHAHAHA.

GAF won't help. Nothing can save you except to distance yourself emotionally from Sony.

For what its worth, I think the lack of impartiality in the media is pretty annoying too; but it's not without some amount of justification. The media simply likes to magnify flaws; they like a good come back story (Nintendo), just like they like a good tall poppy falling story (Sony).

Kittonwy

Banned
TEH WEDGE OF GAF SHALL SAVE YOU!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

You don't deserve to be saved...sorry!
So yeah MS FUD campaign seems to be working...how...awesome?

Sony is going to win anyway so sit down, breathe deeply, and forget it.

Let me just repeat that okay?

Sony is going to win. Sony may have won already and we just don't know it yet. In fact Sony has probably won since the birth of videogaming. Everytime somebody masturbates no kittens die but instead Sony wins again.

So there you go.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Any ps3 news and every website from neoGAF to ******, to EGM and 1up will spin it to bad news.

I wouldn't be surprise if microsot have people on message boards spreading hate on the ps3 and some websites like 1up are being paid under the table to write negative stuff about the ps3.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
pilonv1 said:
The answer is to save yourself from GAF.

Was it this bad ever for any console? I remember Magazines would be good to all. The media was great that I would read more gaming magazines than anything else as a kid.

What has changed?

neojubei said:
Any ps3 news and every website from neoGAF to ******, to EGM and 1up will spin it to bad news.

Oh you're a big help. If you keep talking like that TheProfessor will surely jump off a building.

Sony won! Stop hurting yourself and believe it!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
PepsimanVsJoe said:
You don't deserve to be saved...sorry!
So yeah MS FUD campaign seems to be working...how...awesome?

Sony is going to win anyway so sit down, breathe deeply, and forget it.

Let me just repeat that okay?

Sony is going to win. Sony may have won already and we just don't know it yet. In fact Sony has probably won since the birth of videogaming. Everytime somebody masturbates no kittens die but instead Sony wins again.

So there you go.

You apparently have no idea what the post is about. Let me paraphrase it for you:

"The gaming media is being unfoundly negative and has not stopped. I can't just be fud, why wasnt it like this before. Help me understand"

GAF help me. I've decoded a message in the US gaming PS3 media that I think spells out MS' plan to delay the second coming and position the 360 as the king of the seven countries. But they are on to me! Everytime I look out the window into the night I swear I can see the sheen off MS' silent black helicopters coming to shut me up.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
If you thought the media hate on the Ps3 was bad, wait until microsoft pays off the media to hate on the Apple iPhone. :D

TheProfessor said:
You apparently have no idea what the post is about. Let me paraphrase it for you:

"The gaming media is being unfoundly negative and has not stopped. I can't just be fud, why wasnt it like this before. Help me understand"
Do you honestly believe that Sony deserves no criticism, and that the gaming media is just on some bizarre, unjustified vendetta against the PS3???

Come on, for serial.

TheProfessor said:

It's like this because hating Sony is the new loving Sony.

neojubei said:
If you thought the media hate on the Ps3 was bad, wait until microsoft pays off the media to hate on the Apple iPhone. :D

I know you have no proof that MS is paying off anyone in the media but that doesn't matter because this is about Sony.

Sony is going to win. It's in the cards.

If the PS3 was priced at $400, we'd be witness to an entirely different scenario.

So......uh, yeah. It's a "price hate" thing.

I wonder where the sneaky gaming media meet to orchestrate their insiduous plan??

My bet would be in some secret hidden base underneath the majestic Alps.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TheProfessor said:

Did you not get the memo to hand in your jacket or what? You are Xbot now. Embrace it.

Jiggy

TheProfessor said:

"The gaming media is being unfoundly negative and has not stopped. It can't just be fud, why wasnt it like this before. Help me understand"
It pretty much was, just aimed at Nintendo and Microsoft instead--Nintendo over the gimmicky GBA/GC connectivity, shape and color of the console, etc., and Microsoft for the "generic" console name and for their trying to enter a new market and so on.

Jeff-DSA

Meh, I feel that the criticism is fully warranted. Sony has underdelivered in many ways with the PS3 so far. Until they get their act together, and until prices start coming down, the criticism will continue.

I know that the $600 price tag can be defended by saying it includes a Blu-Ray drive, but if it doesn't matter to you and you like Sony games, you've got to be frustrated.

Mrbob

Mr_Furious said:
If the PS3 was priced at $400, we'd be witness to an entirely different scenario.

So......uh, yeah. It's a "price hate" thing.

Indeed.

599 US DOLLARS happened.

Sony turned the Playstation line from a mass market item into a luxury item.

Avalon

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I think you need to take a break.

Definitely. You would be surprised how much of this current news won't even matter in a few months. Relax, stop reading these doom and gloom PS3 threads and come back in a couple of months. PS3 will be doing fine...

... or it will be gone, the important thing is that you will know. It's all speculation at this point.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
The reason I wrote it is because I just bothers me to hear all the unfounded negativity. I know gaming journalism isn't as objective as most journalism but isnt there a duty there? I feel like the gaming media is just becoming a fanboy farmhouse where anything is reported without any foundation. Why should I even bother anymore?

Maybe I was too young then and the gaming media hasnt changed at all. I'll go sleep now and remembered those sweet days of gaming. Good night gaf.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Mrbob said:
Indeed.

599 US DOLLARS happened.

Back in the day when Kutaragi was saying you would have to work more for it - I honestly thought he was joking or that they would pull at 180 and say - surprise!

When the price was revealed, I was floored. I want one, but I have to wait for a significant price drop first (or something really killer needs to come out for it to make me lose my sanity for a while and get weak).

Avalon

Mrbob said:
Indeed.

599 US DOLLARS happened.

It's a real shame they didn't make the $500 model more accessible, maybe add more multimedia features to the 60GB model and turn the 20GB model into more of a pure gaming machine.

TheProfessor said:
The reason I wrote it is because I just bothers me to hear all the unfounded negativity. I know gaming journalism isn't as objective as most journalism but isnt there a duty there? I feel like the gaming media is just becoming a fanboy farmhouse where anything is reported without any foundation. Why should I even bother anymore?

Maybe I was too young then and the gaming media hasnt changed at all. I'll go sleep now and remembered those sweet days of gaming. Good night gaf.
Wait, so you are saying the gaming media isn't allowed to honestly criticize gaming consoles? Who are you to say they aren't being objective? WTF???

So just to get this straight, when publications criticize the PS3, they aren't being honest, they just be hating??? :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Mrbob said:
Indeed.

599 US DOLLARS happened.

Yes but the hate started even before the price was announced.

The...It is going to be more powerful than anything else bomb was dropped and then when it turns out there is hardly a diff in power one way or the other but you had to pay far more to get base level gameplay from the machine the attitude changed.

Last E3 was hardly stellar for them beyond that. 1/3 of the PS3 booth was giant video screens that played the live action advertising campaign and not game footage. The games they did show on the inside of the booth were pretty rough to dreadful (Gundam) with the better stuff being shown behind closed doors.

Then you have the build up of small things here and there like no rumble and the percieved theft with the sixaxis all the way to today with the scaling chip issue and tiny shipments we have today and you have a recipe for public antagonism.

Oh yeah, delays, delays, delays.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Honestly, take off your rose colored glasses and you will see the PS3 is not all roses. Mine is sitting collecting dust, if you own a 360 once you beat Resistance it's hard to find a use for it other than blue ray. But give it time and it will at least be decent and not just a blue ray movie player. The fact is as a hardcore gamer one has no choice....own both machines or miss out on some great games. But as it stands really the 360 is the clear leader. Better games right now, better online service, and a better controller. No this isn't a debate, no good can come from this.

Even my crappy graphics (and we all know I am a graphics whore) wii gets way, way, more play than my PS3.

let's see. the ps3:

1) costs $500-$600, depending on model
2) is slightly inferior from a pure game performance perspective, hardware-wise, to the 360
3) costs $500-$600, depending on model
4) is a trojan horse for a media format no-one asked for
5) costs $500-$600, depending on model
6) has a crappy library at this day and time
7) has an inferior network gaming infrastructure
8) is endorsed only by gaf's dubious moderation staff

-and-

9) costs $500-$600, depending on model

happy? negativity is warranted. buy a 360 and support gaming. or buy a wii and support an unhealthy fear of button presses. either way, quit bitching and get in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom