• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me make the ultimate Dual Class killing machine for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

Long story short: I want to get into the Baldur's Gate games. Played like 60 hours of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition years ago and want to plunge into both it and it's sequel now that I own both game's enhanced editions. I studied as much as I could on 2nd edition DnD rules to understand how to build characters and the mechanics but all that knowledge is lost on me now. I know that levelling from one class to another requires me planning ahead right from the beginning, from what I build on level 1, to which level I dual-class, to which level I return to my 1st class. Right now I'm thinking of making a Fighter/Mage. How should I go through this if I'm taking my character from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and both of their expansions?

Arkeband

Banned
I'm pretty sure F/M is the min/maxed best dual class but I also remember monks being ridiculous at high levels. That doesn't count as dual class though...

Patryn

Long story short: I want to get into the Baldur's Gate games. Played like 60 hours of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition years ago and want to plunge into both it and it's sequel now that I own both game's enhanced editions. I studied as much as I could on 2nd edition DnD rules to understand how to build characters and the mechanics but all that knowledge is lost on me now. I know that levelling from one class to another requires me planning ahead right from the beginning, from what I build on level 1, to which level I dual-class, to which level I return to my 1st class. Right now I'm thinking of making a Fighter/Mage. How should I go through this if I'm taking my character from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and both of their expansions?

Sounds like you want to do Kensai/Mage.

Traditional thinking is you dual at either 9 or 13 (for the extra 1/2 attack). The next conceivable beneficial point is 17, I believe, which would mean that you would only reactivate your fighter class at the very end of the game, and thus not really enjoy the benefits of dual-classing.

Also this:

to which level I dual-class, to which level I return to my 1st class.

Is basically the same question, in a way. You don't ever "return" to your first class. You regain its abilities when you hit the level you dualed + 1 in your second class. Once you dual, you can never progress in your first class ever again.

Brokun

This relevant to my interests. I've always wanted to dual class but felt lost with it's intricacies. Right now I'm just going straight Cavalier.

Mupod

I did a solo kensai/mage run once.

It ended up easier than a few full party compositions I've done. Hilariously OP.

Baldur's Gate is better suited for interesting unoptomized builds IMO.

Min/Maxing the perfect character ruins a lot of the "fun" about role playing games IMO.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Berserker/Cleric or Berserker/Mage
Ranger/Cleric
Kensai/Mage

Spellcasters are king once you hit BG2. Unless they changed to walk speed in the EE, archers are king in BG1. Kensai can't use bows. Berserker adds a nice melee buff to a cleric. Ranger is bugged so you get all the high level druid spells that you aren't supposed to get if they haven't fixed that in the EE. Kensai/Mage is rough in BG1 when armour actually is useful. By the time you hit the latter portions of BG2 armour class starts to become worthless because enemies have such minuscule THAC0 that they'll hit you no matter what and Stoneskin is better defence than anything else anyway.

IIRC, ranger needs to make sure they only select blunt weapon proficiencies because they won't be able to use anything else as a cleric.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Baldur's Gate is better suited for interesting unoptomized builds IMO.

Min/Maxing the perfect character ruins a lot of the "fun" about role playing games IMO.

This. I recommend goofing around with whatever classes sound engaging to you. You always have your core NPC members to pull extra weight in combat.

Fugu

Kensai/mage is the standard answer but it involves dual classing in Baldur's Gate 2 since the earliest point to do it is level 9 and the next viable point is 13. Broken as shit in BG2, though.

Simply due to the nature of dual classing it is probably the case that you are going to get no benefit at all from doing it for the entirety of BG1; it will only be once you start 2 that you will start leveling the second class and it’ll only be some time after that that you actually see the benefits (unless you are doing a solo run and use reading to level up).

What makes Kensai/Mage so OP?

Kensai are glass cannon fighters that can't wear armor but get absurd bonuses to attack and damage. Since mages already can't wear armor and cast spells as is, none of a Kensai's downsides actually negatively influence your mage class. Additionally the mage has access to powerful defensive spells that more than make up for the Kensai's lack of armor. So what you're left with is a character that rips apart everything they touch in melee while also having access to defensive magic that makes them virtually untouchable and offensive magic in case their melee attacking for some reason wasn't good enough.

The downside to the Kensai/Mage, and the reason I'm going to recommend against it for the OP, is that if you're starting out from BG1, you're committing to a frustrating experience playing through that entire game with a very squishy MC who can't used ranged weapons and will be prone to die very easily. It's not till BG2 your character will actually become an unstoppable engine of destruction.

OP: I'd advise going Berserker/Mage if you're not interested in struggling for half your playtime of the series. Berserker/Cleric is also very strong. As mentioned before, Ranger/Cleric takes advantage of a weird quirk that allows them access to Druid spells on their Cleric spell list which makes it a very potent combination as well. Another interesting option is Fighter mixed with Thief which will basically give you a free enemy one shot once per fight + another time for every invisibility potion you have.

Also you may want to consider multiclasses. A multiclass Fighter-Mage is not significantly less powerful than a dual classed one and won't struggle so much at early levels. Multi Fighter/Cleric and Fighter/Thief are also super good. A multi-class Cleric-Mage is possibly the most versatile character in the game and not only will you have access to an absurd amount of spells, mixing mage contingency and cleric spells can make for really interesting results.

Top Bottom