• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Has Retroarch been updated to become more stable lately? I haven't updated mine since October since I'm still stuck with a 4GB card. The SNES and GBA emulation was still a bit lacking the last time I tried.

As on basically every other platform, mGBA is the way to go for GBA. SNES emulation seems fine through the snesx9x 2005 core in retroarch.

Glix

This is exciting. After I found out that Vita TV is hot garbage for remote play it just sits in a drawer and does NOTHING.

L.O.R.D

hmm,it doesn't seems that's why,i quote someone else about him
does this count?

https://twitter.com/aos_lord/status/830079891911634948

but what's his deal? why so angry about something like that?
i understand in the past people questioning him and tell him to quit and he steal other people work..etc and become angry,but he become angry about this thing?
it's compliment they put his name like that.

Gu4n

Considering this upcoming development of USB storage, I'm thinking about updating my Vita to the latest firmware and getting PSN access back, and keep my PSTV on HENkaku. What I wanted from HENkaku - transferring save files from one to another account - I already accomplished.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've never messed with plugins before, so is there a certain specific usage needed in the config file when adding netcheck_bypass? The instructions seem kind of vague instead of having a line to directly copy to the text file, if I want to block the net check in remote play do I need a specific line in there?

This is tangential, but:

Guys I'm sorry that I banned so many people. I love you all, but with 7k followers, I get shit commented on my tweets every second.

@theflow0 So basically if you don't have nothing useful to say, don't say. Is that understandable?

So it's basically his (?) way to deal with those notifications that are for one reason or another considered not a good idea to turn off. Understandable, really..

Wow damn, USB Mass Storage. The Dream. We may yet see an end to the tyranny of the Vita memory card, at least on PSTV.
Any idea if this could work with a USB and a female USB-to-microUSB adapter, on an actual Vita?

... Though it isn't released yet, is it. So I guess we're gonna have to wait.

again, theflow cares very little for his likability on twitter. he's made it aggressively clear he really just doesn't care and it's pretty clear he vents his frustration through the blocking mechanism. Why do people ignore obvious things until it effects them directly and then whine and moan?

Hey all! I'm currently rocking a N3DS as my main emulator machine, but I'm looking into Vita at the moment as well. Anyone here have both that can comment on pros/cons for each? I'm really wanting to replay a bunch of PSX classics in bed, and Vita looks like it would be better for that with emulation...?

Hey all! I'm currently rocking a N3DS as my main emulator machine, but I'm looking into Vita at the moment as well. Anyone here have both that can comment on pros/cons for each? I'm really wanting to replay a bunch of PSX classics in bed, and Vita looks like it would be better for that with emulation...?

The Vita is a beefier system both processing and graphics wise.

The downside is that it's a smaller community and that the abilility to run emulators with good system access is much less mature.

You also need to reactivate the Vita "CFW" every time its power cycled.

More emulation specific:

3DS has (excellent) VC implementation for many consoles which can be hijacked and there's only a few special games they never implemented support for on those (though those are often of significance).

Vita only really does PSP and PSX officially. The PSP back compatability is good but far from perfect (getting DLC on a system is hard, a security patch broke DLC / Cross Titke save reads for some games). There's also not a good way to take over the Psx emulator yet compared to the PSP/PS3 (missing sound and poor compatibility , though it's being worked on).

As a result I'd probably recommend the 3DS (if it's a New), the Vita has superior potential , but it just hasn't seen the support the 3DS has (something of a parallel to the official situation with the systems ).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, I just got a new PS4 and I'm feeling like there's no way to link it to PSTV 3.60 remote play. My old PS4 that was previously linked connects fine, but trying to register this new one seems impossible, even with this new PS4relink homebrew that's supposed to help this.

Lime

Man, I just got a new PS4 and I'm feeling like there's no way to link it to PSTV 3.60 remote play. My old PS4 that was previously linked connects fine, but trying to register this new one seems impossible, even with this new PS4relink homebrew that's supposed to help this.

Have you tried turning it off and on?

The Vita is a beefier system both processing and graphics wise.

The downside is that it's a smaller community and that the abilility to run emulators with good system access is much less mature.

You also need to reactivate the Vita "CFW" every time its power cycled.

More emulation specific:

3DS has (excellent) VC implementation for many consoles which can be hijacked and there's only a few special games they never implemented support for on those (though those are often of significance).

Vita only really does PSP and PSX officially. The PSP back compatability is good but far from perfect (getting DLC on a system is hard, a security patch broke DLC / Cross Titke save reads for some games). There's also not a good way to take over the Psx emulator yet compared to the PSP/PS3 (missing sound and poor compatibility , though it's being worked on).

As a result I'd probably recommend the 3DS (if it's a New), the Vita has superior potential , but it just hasn't seen the support the 3DS has (something of a parallel to the official situation with the systems ).
Thank you. I really appreciate the write-up.

What does that mean?

It means they'll release the unencrypted Vita Secure Kernel. Though what they probably mean is that they'll release the method they used to get it (since the Secure Kernel is copyrighted). It's probably not going to be directly useful to the general user, since the main use of this would be going over it carefully looking for extra exploit avenues at that level (in case a current one is closed) or attack vectors (for a more secure area) or to increase the stability of existing exploits.

This was the final bit of Henkaku that hasn't been publicly documented yet.

(The Vita has 2 more levels more secure than the Secure Kernel but they aren't used in Henkaku and are more the permanent CFW kind of thing but the Vita apparently locks them down really well. )

RalchAC

I've been itching to play some GBA games lately.

Do you guys know if one of those awesome GBA emulators on the PSP work as well on the Vita? The progress in the native side isn't that good, and GBA was one of the best emulators available on the PSP.

I'm now seeing some conflicting reports that the above post was an actual F00D hack ? I have no idea what's going on here anymore. But there'll be no immediate change since either way this will take a few weeks at least before it can be used for something useful to the end user.

linkboy

I've been itching to play some GBA games lately.

Do you guys know if one of those awesome GBA emulators on the PSP work as well on the Vita? The progress in the native side isn't that good, and GBA was one of the best emulators available on the PSP.

I have gpsp installed on my Vita and it runs the same as it did on my PSP.

Is there any way to purchase berserk from the psn store and make it work in 3.6? or there isn't any spoofer anymore?

I believe the japanese retail one needs 3.61 as well.

Argh, that whitelist thing isn't working. I installed and ran the program they made (v1.1) and game is still locked. I try the manual way of replacing the file, but I can't even see the folder it's supposedly in.

I just want to play Gravity Rush on my Vita TV X(

Edit: MOTHERFUCKERS! Ok, got it. Had to turn off safe mode in the Henkaku menu. Good to go now.

Trogdor1123

im trying this on my pstv tomorrow am. it will strictly be for emulators. This issue is that i really dont know this stuff very well (or at all) and was hoping there would be a video guide for pstv, and emulators, start to finish. Anyone know a good one?

Trogdor1123

How do you exit molecular shell with a PSTV?

How long should it take to install the emulator as well? It seems really slow to me. 10 minutes for the snes one?

Now none of my games show up in my emulator... I what am i doing wrong? Edit: ... well, it found them now after I told it now to filter out unknown file types. F6 runs but the audio is kinda funky. Any tips?

Quick Question here:

I just bought an Orange Slim Vita (Holy shit, that looks AMAZING!) and want to swap my memory card from my OLED Phat Vita -> Is there any way to do that? If I plop the mem card into the Slim, it tells me to link the device to my account through PSN, but connecting to PSN means I'll have to update... Any way to do that without having to format my memory card?

RalchAC

Quick Question here:

I just bought an Orange Slim Vita (Holy shit, that looks AMAZING!) and want to swap my memory card from my OLED Phat Vita -> Is there any way to do that? If I plop the mem card into the Slim, it tells me to link the device to my account through PSN, but connecting to PSN means I'll have to update... Any way to do that without having to format my memory card?

Try installing this: https://github.com/SMOKE5/memcardswap/releases

It should allow you to change your memory card without it being rejected by the system.

Trogdor1123

Im kind of disappointed with Retroarch, I thought it might be a bit more elegant by default. How do you get some of these nice skins one vita with it? Or can you?

fvng

Using USB flash drive support as storage a possibility at all? Or would that require custom firmware? are custom firmware as even possible in the future?

I have a 128gb USB stick begging to be used🌛

Top Bottom