• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Using USB flash drive support as storage a possibility at all? Or would that require custom firmware? are custom firmware as even possible in the future?

I have a 128gb USB stick begging to be used🌛

You need hardware in order to operate as a USB host / controller , I doubt Sony would have paid for it because they had no plains to support it for the Vita but I haven't looked at any tech breakdowns to be sure of that.

fvng

You need hardware in order to operate as a USB host / controller , I doubt Sony would have paid for it because they had no plains to support it for the Vita but I haven't looked at any tech breakdowns to be sure of that.

doesnt the screenshot above say like usb:// indicating they figured out a way to make this possible? we already know the usb drive on the vita tv has the ability to read/write.. obviously this is more of a perk for VitaTV since normal vitas do not have usb ports

doesnt the screenshot above say like usb:// indicating they figured out a way to make this possible? we already know the usb drive on the vita tv has the ability to read/write.. obviously this is more of a perk for VitaTV since normal vitas do not have usb ports

Yeah, that's a VitaTV which has a USB ports
which is in host mode to sync the Dualshocks.

Vita also have USB ports (the charger / PC connector) but afaik they are only in client mode since their purpose is to let a PC treat the Vita as a USB device and charge things. If it can be run in host mode you'd be able to theoretically use a USB disk/drive with the appropriate adaptor cable.

Lagamorph

One question I didn't see answered in the OP.

Do you also lose the ability to use Remote Play by installing this? I'm not sure if Remote Play requires the latest firmware be installed like the store or not.

One question I didn't see answered in the OP.

Do you also lose the ability to use Remote Play by installing this? I'm not sure if Remote Play requires the latest firmware be installed like the store or not.

If you already had it setup it can be maintained but only in local mode last I checked.

Its possible to set it up , but that's a bit more work, you can find a write up on Wololo.

Lagamorph

If you already had it setup it can be maintained but only in local mode last I checked.

Its possible to set it up , but that's a bit more work, you can find a write up on Wololo.

I've only ever used it in local mode with the direct connection to the console rather than via the internet, so that's good to know. Thanks!

Hey guys I need some insight into what hidden applications (account swapping) does exactly for 3.63. Can I download games from one PSN account (brother's account with PS+) and get trophies for my main account? Or can I only get trophies for the account that owns the game? I wanna know this before I go to the hassle of installing it.

Hey guys I need some insight into what hidden applications (account swapping) does exactly for 3.63. Can I download games from one PSN account (brother's account with PS+) and get trophies for my main account? Or can I only get trophies for the account that owns the game? I wanna know this before I go to the hassle of installing it.

Account Swapping literally swaps the account, so the trophies go to your brother's account. The major use is for people who keep different region accounts since the process of swapping them officially requires different memory cards and completely resetting the console and is general a huge PITA.

Account Swapping literally swaps the account, so the trophies go to your brother's account. The major use is for people who keep different region accounts since the process of swapping them officially requires different memory cards and completely resetting the console and is general a huge PITA.

Oh bummer. Well I've already installed it (wasn't that big a deal) but how do I actually swap account? I press "Sign up to PSN" but it only says "Welcome Barajas_201". How do I log out or sign in into my brother's account?

Oh I also installed ARK but I crashes when I run it.

Oh bummer. Well I've already installed it (wasn't that big a deal) but how do I actually swap account? I press "Sign up to PSN" but it only says "Welcome Barajas_201". How do I log out or sign in into my brother's account?

Oh I also installed ARK but I crashes when I run it.

Honestly, I hava no idea. I'm using a second Vita for the Homebrew stuff. But having a poke around Wololo.net will probably help you, they usually have decent tutorials up pretty quickly.

fvng

Yeah, that's a VitaTV which has a USB ports
which is in host mode to sync the Dualshocks.

Vita also have USB ports (the charger / PC connector) but afaik they are only in client mode since their purpose is to let a PC treat the Vita as a USB device and charge things. If it can be run in host mode you'd be able to theoretically use a USB disk/drive with the appropriate adaptor cable.

Awesome.. 256gb flash drives are pretty affordable compared to shit vita cards

Tarnpanzer

Got a Vita @ FW 2.02 with the Uno-Exploit.

Any reason to upgrade to Henkaku?

Are there things you can only do with 2.02 you can´t do with Henkaku and vice versa?

SURGEdude

Got a Vita @ FW 2.02 with the Uno-Exploit.

Any reason to upgrade to Henkaku?

Are there things you can only do with 2.02 you can´t do with Henkaku and vice versa?

One big advantage is being able to play newer games than you can on 2.02. And stuff like USB support is unlikely to be back ported in the future.

Tarnpanzer

One big advantage is being able to play newer games than you can on 2.02. And stuff like USB support is unlikely to be back ported in the future.

Forgot to mention that I got a second Vita for Vita-Games etc.

My Vita @ 2.02 is just for emulation and stuff.

Lombax

Banned
Good afternoon GAF.

I'd like to get into PS Vita homebrew, but I have a question in regards to RetroArch. The current nightly builds only list a single .vpk file.
In doing some quick research it sounds like RetroArch is now an all in one emulator.
Are there different / up-to-date tutorials on how to use this new .vpk or is it pretty much the same?

for reference I am talking about the 2017-03-08_RetroArch build.

Thank you.

Shaneus

Good afternoon GAF.

I'd like to get into PS Vita homebrew, but I have a question in regards to RetroArch. The current nightly builds only list a single .vpk file.
In doing some quick research it sounds like RetroArch is now an all in one emulator.
Are there different / up-to-date tutorials on how to use this new .vpk or is it pretty much the same?

for reference I am talking about the 2017-03-08_RetroArch build.

Thank you.
As far as I know it's just the same, I've only ever used the one vpk and it has all the cores available on the Vita.

Lombax

Banned
As far as I know it's just the same, I've only ever used the one vpk and it has all the cores available on the Vita.

Do you happen to know of a tutorial out that that will show me the basics of using RetroArch? I have a lot of experience with the RetroPie, so I'm really just looking for a basic "how to".

Thank you.

Shaneus

Do you happen to know of a tutorial out that that will show me the basics of using RetroArch? I have a lot of experience with the RetroPie, so I'm really just looking for a basic "how to".

Thank you.
I couldn't track one down for you even if I wanted to, I just had to struggle to feel my way around it. Install the VPK, and I think under the "data" folder there's a Retroarch one. I just made folders under there for each core and copied ROMs in there.

Beyond that (configuring controllers etc.) just tinker with it :)

mrsmr2

Very tempted to get DQ Builders as it's in the sale in EU, and I should be able to copy from the PS3 using the QCMA swap.

Can I still get game updates once it's on the Vita?

Lombax

Banned
I couldn't track one down for you even if I wanted to, I just had to struggle to feel my way around it. Install the VPK, and I think under the "data" folder there's a Retroarch one. I just made folders under there for each core and copied ROMs in there.

Beyond that (configuring controllers etc.) just tinker with it :)

Cool thanks very much. I'm starting to gather information, and get started this weekend.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Here's one for you: Is it possible to get a PSX save off the system/virtual memory card and put it on ePSXe/emulators to run?

I'm not sure if I want to continue my months old save or redo all my stuff on an emulator (which I'm more than likely to finish on given I can just move it to a USB flash drive to play elsewhere).

Here's one for you: Is it possible to get a PSX save off the system/virtual memory card and put it on ePSXe/emulators to run?

I'm not sure if I want to continue my months old save or redo all my stuff on an emulator (which I'm more than likely to finish on given I can just move it to a USB flash drive to play elsewhere).

I think you should be able to decrypt a backup and pull the save out and then use a convertor. I've done this on a PSP and with PS2 classics on a PS3 (but you need a CFW System) but never from a Vita. But once you get past the Vita encryption of the backup the save should be identical to the PSP so I can't see why not.

TheSeks

Well, I could just throw it on my old PSP and convert it from there I guess. I just wasn't sure someone made a homebrew method for this system. Not a big deal, as I can just run it on this, but I'd rather be able to convert it and run it on a system that I'll probably use more.

Well, I could just throw it on my old PSP and convert it from there I guess. I just wasn't sure someone made a homebrew method for this system. Not a big deal, as I can just run it on this, but I'd rather be able to convert it and run it on a system that I'll probably use more.

You shouldn't need the PSP the encryption on the Vita backups has been cracked, sorry if I didn't make that clear. You should probably be able to pull the save directly out using VitaShell as well if you have Henkaku on the device. Sorry, I've been sick all week and although I'm feeling less sick today, I also feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. I can probably dig up some proper instructions if I feel less like refuse tomorrow.

CmdBash

Any chance of 3.61 ever happening in the recent future? Updated a while back before I popped on the internet to see that there was a cfw out.

TheSeks

You shouldn't need the PSP the encryption on the Vita backups has been cracked, sorry if I didn't make that clear. You should probably be able to pull the save directly out using VitaShell as well if you have Henkaku on the device. Sorry, I've been sick all week and although I'm feeling less sick today, I also feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. I can probably dig up some proper instructions if I feel less like refuse tomorrow.

Well, let me ask another question: Is it possible to get CWCheat on the system with Henkaku? Because I could just use that and edit my file(s) to catch up to where I was and then put them in my emulator later on.

Well, let me ask another question: Is it possible to get CWCheat on the system with Henkaku? Because I could just use that and edit my file(s) to catch up to where I was and then put them in my emulator later on.

Unfortunately not for functinal PSX at the monent, Ark doesn't have sound on PSX games and Adrenaline doesn't support PSX at all yet but should fully support them when finished.

Any chance of 3.61 ever happening in the recent future? Updated a while back before I popped on the internet to see that there was a cfw out.

Likely never. It's been explicitly stated, multiple times, that finding a hole in the updated firmware is a very, very, very low priority. Vita already had (reportedly) exceptional security so I wouldn't hold my breath.

wilflare

._. I finally plugged in my Vita TV (since 2015)
and updated my Vita to 3.60... and then 3.63
and then found this thread

what have I done

SiDCrAzY

what have I done

image.php

Vic_Viper

Just ordered a Vita the other day (JPN import). Will this allow me to be able to play PSP games like Crisis Core, or Valkyria Chronicles 3 eng sub?

If so, how can I make sure I get the 3.60 update when setting up the console? Can I still buy games from the PSN store on 3.60?

Just ordered a Vita the other day (JPN import). Will this allow me to be able to play PSP games like Crisis Core, or Valkyria Chronicles 3 eng sub?

If so, how can I make sure I get the 3.60 update when setting up the console? Can I still buy games from the PSN store on 3.60?

As long as your Vita is under 3.60, you can use Henkaku to install various homebrew, including the games you listed. If it's a lower firmware, you'll have to manually update to 3.60 (current being 3.63)

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4wq00k/tutorial_how_to_manually_update_to_360/

Unfortunately, at the moment you cannot buy games directly from the PSN on the Vita. You can transfer from the PS3. Please note that you won't be able to play newer games, as they require 3.61. We don't know if we'll ever get a bypass for this.

Vic_Viper

As long as your Vita is under 3.60, you can use Henkaku to install various homebrew, including the games you listed. If it's a lower firmware, you'll have to manually update to 3.60 (current being 3.63)

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4wq00k/tutorial_how_to_manually_update_to_360/

Unfortunately, at the moment you cannot buy games directly from the PSN on the Vita. You can transfer from the PS3. Please note that you won't be able to play newer games, as they require 3.61. We don't know if we'll ever get a bypass for this.

Thanks. I mainly just want to get some PS1 classics off the PSN, but I also have a PS3 and PSTV. Do you have any info on how to add PSP games with Henkaku? I cant seem to find any info about it when searching.

Also, Ive heard that there are other ways to get PSP games running on the Vita, but I have no idea what the differences are and what is the easiest to get up and running. Ive read that ARK will let you run PSP games and also work on the latest update, but installing it seems like a pain in the ass. Then theres Adrenelin and Vitamin, but I dont know anything about those 2, and I dont think they work with 3.63.

Not looking to pirate Vita games btw, just was wondering if its possible to get PSP games like Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts BBS, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (eng) on my Vita.

Thanks. I mainly just want to get some PS1 classics off the PSN, but I also have a PS3 and PSTV. Do you have any info on how to add PSP games with Henkaku? I cant seem to find any info about it when searching.

Also, Ive heard that there are other ways to get PSP games running on the Vita, but I have no idea what the differences are and what is the easiest to get up and running. Ive read that ARK will let you run PSP games and also work on the latest update, but installing it seems like a pain in the ass. Then theres Adrenelin and Vitamin, but I dont know anything about those 2, and I dont think they work with 3.63.

Not looking to pirate Vita games btw, just was wondering if its possible to get PSP games like Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts BBS, and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (eng) on my Vita.

For PSP stuff you want to get Adrenaline. It's great and easy to use.

http://wololo.net/2016/11/22/adrenaline-easyinstaller-solve-adrenaline-installation-woes/

ARK has PS1 compatibility, but no sound with it. I prefer Adrenaline for my PSP games and Retroarch for my PS1 classics. Most games run fine on Retroarch, but it isn't perfect. Still awesome and easy to use.

Vic_Viper

For PSP stuff you want to get Adrenaline. It's great and easy to use.

http://wololo.net/2016/11/22/adrenaline-easyinstaller-solve-adrenaline-installation-woes/

ARK has PS1 compatibility, but no sound with it. I prefer Adrenaline for my PSP games and Retroarch for my PS1 classics. Most games run fine on Retroarch, but it isn't perfect. Still awesome and easy to use.

Can Adrenaline run on 3.63 or is it also only available for 3.60? All the PS1 games I want are available on PSN so I shouldnt need a CFW for it right? With Adrenaline installed, can I still play new Vita games (that dont require 3.63) and buy stuff off the PSN?

Can Adrenaline run on 3.63 or is it also only available for 3.60? All the PS1 games I want are available on PSN so I shouldnt need a CFW for it right? With Adrenaline installed, can I still play new Vita games (that dont require 3.63) and buy stuff off the PSN?

Only 3.60 for Andrenline. To play PSP stuff on 3.63, you'll have to install ARK

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/5yv1a8/363easy_how_to_install_psp_games_on_ark2/

This is new, so I don't have any personal experience in using it.

With the installation of Henkaku, however, you will not being able to access the PSN store on your Vita. You can only transfer games, but you'll have to buy it on the online store. Or from your PS3. The PS1 games have the same restriction as it had before CFW, in that some are transferable and some are not. Though, I believe there are ways to get those too, but I am unfamiliar with the process.

Krammy

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this, so I'll ask GAF. How well do emulators run on PlayStation Vita using HENKaku compared to emulation on PlayStation Portable? I did some light research, but what I found is that they're mostly the same, which is disappointing. I remember GameBoy Advance titles and even some later Super Nintendo titles were particularly bad. On the flipside, I see that Nintendo 64 emulation seems loads better, so what's the state of emulators on the device?

TheSeks

Unfortunately not for functinal PSX at the monent, Ark doesn't have sound on PSX games and Adrenaline doesn't support PSX at all yet but should fully support them when finished.

Well, that sucks. If I could get all the tarot cards I need it's save the grind. Oh well. :/

Shaneus

Only 3.60 for Andrenline. To play PSP stuff on 3.63, you'll have to install ARK

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/5yv1a8/363easy_how_to_install_psp_games_on_ark2/

This is new, so I don't have any personal experience in using it.

With the installation of Henkaku, however, you will not being able to access the PSN store on your Vita. You can only transfer games, but you'll have to buy it on the online store. Or from your PS3. The PS1 games have the same restriction as it had before CFW, in that some are transferable and some are not. Though, I believe there are ways to get those too, but I am unfamiliar with the process.
I believe you can still access PSN via Adrenaline though, yeah? Like whatever is blocking the Vita from accessing it isn't blocking the PSP/Adrenaline side of things.

So from there, one should be able to download PSP/PS1 titles.

Top Bottom