• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

animax

Quick question about Adrenaline.......I installed it yesterday on my 3.60 vita and was able to boot into it successfully. However, as a test I decided to see if I could boot into it "offline" (without wifi). So I rebooted, ran the offline henkaku booter (successfully) and then tried to run adrenaline but it didn't work.

So is it possible to run Adrenaline (from a hard reboot) with no wifi? It should be right?

kauec

Neo Member
Quick question about Adrenaline.......I installed it yesterday on my 3.60 vita and was able to boot into it successfully. However, as a test I decided to see if I could boot into it "offline" (without wifi). So I rebooted, ran the offline henkaku booter (successfully) and then tried to run adrenaline but it didn't work.

So is it possible to run Adrenaline (from a hard reboot) with no wifi? It should be right?

Only ARK can be booted without Henkaku, and only if you installed it with a game you own.

I could use some vita help.
I own a psvita on 3.60 and a pstv on 3.61 i inserted my memory card into the pstv and now, my 3.60 vita wont read it as it wants me to update to 3.61 or higher. am i ... screwed at this point?
can i back up all my savegames from the pstv to the psplus online save feature thing? then format the memory card, and then stick it back into my 3.60 vita? can i download the save games to my (replacement) ps3 and then transfer the games or save games back to my current 3.60 vita?

So, yeah. I'm saying goodbye to HENkaku. I would say it was nice while it lasted, but to be completely honest, I found it to be a massive disappointment. Not from a technical standpoint, of course, since it was a massive achievement by Molecule. But after the initial rush of hacking and exploring the possibilities of HENkaku, I was left with very little to do with it. I kept waiting for something in the lines of 3DS CFW, or even PSP CFW, and it never came. Adrenaline is cool, but now that ARK is available for 3.60-3.63... I kinda don't need it. As for emulators and stuff, the Wii U and 3DS are much better at them than the Vita, if you ask me.

I much rather get back access to my PSN account than keep hoping that someone will spoof 3.63.

I did the same. Unlike my 3DS, I actually care about online access for the Vita (even though 3DS CFW allows you to access all the online features). Maybe a few years down the road, they'll crack this thing wide open and then I'll be back.

I am looking for a Vita to run mainly homebrew/emulators. My primary application for this device would likely be for playing portable PS1 games. I know PSP has offered this for a decade, but is the Vita likely the best way to experience PS1 on the go?

Also for PS1, is there advantages for Henkaku over ARK? I can find tons of 3.63 consoles but 3.60 compatible models are getting harder to find. I know the PSN has a pretty healthy list of PS1 games but not all are compatible which I am sure ARK can fix.

I have access to a 3DS XL so virtual console prior to N64 is covered pretty well on that platform.

At this point what advantages are people seeing with Henkaku vs ARK other than performance enhancements on emulators like SNES/GBA?

JEKKI

I have a 3.60 Vita and I downloaded Severed onto my PS3... is there a way to move it onto my Vita without updating? I don't use CFW, but now that I have a new memory card I'd be interested in trying it out (hence why I don't wanna update) but I also wanna play this new game that I downloaded.

I tried to google the answer myself and came onto this page:
http://hackinformer.com/PlayStationGuide/PSV/olderfirmwareguide.html
under the "How to get new content on the Vita" instructions.

but when I downloaded the required software (QCMA) step 6 says to select your Vita's firmware, except there is no option to select anything above 3.30!!

since allHenkaku eligible Vitas are 3.60, wouldnt this option be THE firmware to select on this software?

So, at this point, is it worth it to get Ark or Henkaku? I have two vitas, one at 3.60 and the other at 3.63. Which has the smoothest running emulators and is easier to hack?

Joey Ravn

Banned
So, at this point, is it worth it to get Ark or Henkaku? I have two vitas, one at 3.60 and the other at 3.63. Which has the smoothest running emulators and is easier to hack?

HENkaku is dead simple to install. Just visit the website and it'll do everything automagically. You'll have to do it every time you turn off your Vita, though. Native emulators are OK, from what I had experienced. Honestly, I think there are better alternatives for homebrew and emulators, even on the go. I much rather play old consoles on my Wii U gamepad, and GBC, GBA and SNES on my N3DS.

As for ARK, it's the ePSP, so you're not running emulators natively. They are fine as well, but the installation of ARK is a bit complicated if you don't have access to Vitashell to move files from within the Vita's internal directories.

I have to admit that I'm giving my Vita a lot more use these days, since I updated to 3.63. Being able to access the PSN and download all my old games and all the games that I got with Plus these past months has been great. Zero regrets in moving away from HENkaku.

HENkaku is dead simple to install. Just visit the website and it'll do everything automagically. You'll have to do it every time you turn off your Vita, though. Native emulators are OK, from what I had experienced. Honestly, I think there are better alternatives for homebrew and emulators, even on the go. I much rather play old consoles on my Wii U gamepad, and GBC, GBA and SNES on my N3DS.

As for ARK, it's the ePSP, so you're not running emulators natively. They are fine as well, but the installation of ARK is a bit complicated if you don't have access to Vitashell to move files from within the Vita's internal directories.

I have to admit that I'm giving my Vita a lot more use these days, since I updated to 3.63. Being able to access the PSN and download all my old games and all the games that I got with Plus these past months has been great. Zero regrets in moving away from HENkaku.
I tried for four hours last night to do Henkaku. I got it on there but NOTHING would transfer over the ftp or USB. So I gave up. I think I'll do Wii U home brew next. Seems pretty good!
Thanks for the advice.

Nightbird

I'm thinking about doing this too.

Being able to play Persona 5 via remote play on my Vita would be the greatest thing.

Ok so I jumped at a 3.60 model but the more I read into custom firmware, I have one big question: Can I buy PS1 classics on PSN and somehow transfer it to my Vita with my PC or PS3?

Basically can I have Adrenaline for RetroArch and still get PS1 Classics on a 3.60 console? I want Castlevania SotN but I want sound.

Nightbird

Remote play works with Henkaku though, I have been using it since the beginning.

I know that it's possible, but i did not manage to activate my Vita for that process :/

Remote play still works. If you haven't activated before you can still enable it via homebrew
http://wololo.net/2017/02/10/ps4rel...-without-psn-sign-now-automated-via-homebrew/

I tried that, and it didn't work.

Buut, the new Henkaku update allows PSN spoofing again, so i managed to hook up my Vita an hour ago :)

linkboy

Ok so I jumped at a 3.60 model but the more I read into custom firmware, I have one big question: Can I buy PS1 classics on PSN and somehow transfer it to my Vita with my PC or PS3?

Basically can I have Adrenaline for RetroArch and still get PS1 Classics on a 3.60 console? I want Castlevania SotN but I want sound.

You can transfer games over via the PS3 (I did with my slim that I bought a few months ago). However, some games (like Suikoden II) can't be transferred via a PS3.

Another option is to pickup a Vita TV and update that to the latest firmware. There's a homebrew program that lets you swap memory cards between two Vita's without having to format said card.

edit

With PSN spoofing working for the time being, you don't need to worry about what I posted. Take advantage of it and download all of your PSN games.

You can transfer games over via the PS3 (I did with my slim that I bought a few months ago). However, some games (like Suikoden II) can't be transferred via a PS3.

Another option is to pickup a Vita TV and update that to the latest firmware. There's a homebrew program that lets you swap memory cards between two Vita's without having to format said card.

edit

With PSN spoofing working for the time being, you don't need to worry about what I posted. Take advantage of it and download all of your PSN games.

Seems I woke up to this beautiful surprise:

Release 8 (March 26, 2017)

PSN spoofing works again for 3.63 (it will be fixed in the next firmware, so use it while you can!). Make sure your spoof version is set to 3.63. You can also disable PSN spoofing in molecularShell settings menu.
First boot of molecularShell will alert the user to unsafe homebrew and how to enable it.

Looks like I need to go on a PS1 Classics binge

Joey Ravn

Banned
Patience, patience, patience always works out.

Figures. I've just updated my Vita!

As I said before, I honestly don't have any regrets, though. Sony will probably issue an update specifically to address this in a few days, so it'll always be this cat-and-mouse game until someone finds a way to spoof it for good or to make HENkaku a permanent install (like 3DS CFW). I'm glad people can access their PSN accounts again... but whatever HENkaku offers at the moment still isn't enough for me to hold back. Or, more precisely, regret not holding back.

data

I hope Sony doesn't push another firmware update.

Prompting me for a software update... I already updated to the new version, how do I spoof 3.63? I set it as 3.63 on molecule too

Edit 2: huh, so you need to do a restart and re-install molecule.

I finally feel free again. I can now download some PSV games I've been wanting to play, yay.

Question: Is there a way for PSV wallpapers to retain their quality? I remember not wanting to use any of mine since they're compressed when used as a wallpaper.

Figures. I've just updated my Vita!

As I said before, I honestly don't have any regrets, though. Sony will probably issue an update specifically to address this in a few days, so it'll always be this cat-and-mouse game until someone finds a way to spoof it for good or to make HENkaku a permanent install (like 3DS CFW). I'm glad people can access their PSN accounts again... but whatever HENkaku offers at the moment still isn't enough for me to hold back. Or, more precisely, regret not holding back.

Basically RetroArch performance and stupid piracy are the main advantages of HENkaku at the moment right? The big disadvantage is the lack of compatibility which really sucks. No Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero or Nonary support.

In support of non-piracy and celebration of 3.63 spoofing, what PS One titles hold up well enough to warrant a purchase? I am planning on going in for ~ $100 to load up on some titles.

Castlevania; SotN, Crash Trilogy, Spyro Trilogy, Crash CTR, Chrono Cross, Jet Moto 3

Puts me at right around $68. I know the Final Fantasy trilogy is an option but I don't feel like any hold up well enough to make me want to jump in at $10 a pop, especially with the vastly superior JRPG catalog on Vita itself, I feel like i'd never get around to them. Any shmups or beat 'em ups from PS One that I need to have? I also was thinking a Cool Boarders title seeing as snowboarding games on Vita is basically zero. Is 3 the best option?

I know I am also grabbing Metal Slug Anthology and XX PSP as well. Anthology is pretty cheap for what you get even though I could just go with the RetroArch/FBAlpha route. XX is basically an exclusive so that is a no brainer.

linkboy

Basically RetroArch performance and stupid piracy are the main advantages of HENkaku at the moment right? The big disadvantage is the lack of compatibility which really sucks. No Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero or Nonary support.

In support of non-piracy and celebration of 3.63 spoofing, what PS One titles hold up well enough to warrant a purchase? I am planning on going in for ~ $100 to load up on some titles.

Castlevania; SotN, Crash Trilogy, Spyro Trilogy, Crash CTR, Chrono Cross, Jet Moto 3

Puts me at right around $68. I know the Final Fantasy trilogy is an option but I don't feel like any hold up well enough to make me want to jump in at $10 a pop, especially with the vastly superior JRPG catalog on Vita itself, I feel like i'd never get around to them. Any shmups or beat 'em ups from PS One that I need to have? I also was thinking a Cool Boarders title seeing as snowboarding games on Vita is basically zero. Is 3 the best option?

I know I am also grabbing Metal Slug Anthology and XX PSP as well. Anthology is pretty cheap for what you get even though I could just go with the RetroArch/FBAlpha route. XX is basically an exclusive so that is a no brainer.

Both Suikoden games, especially the second one (which is a downright steal at $10, considering a physical copy is still around $100) on the RPG front. There's a slew of good PS1 games out for PSN.

I know nobody has a crystal-ball for that but how much do I risk a ban if I have a 3.60 Vita full of backups from my physical-cartridges with loads of trophies of them and connect it to PSN for just one second with the new spoofer to get all my PS+ games working again? :p

Kilau

Gold Member
I know nobody has a crystal-ball for that but how much do I risk a ban if I have a 3.60 Vita full of backups from my physical-cartridges with loads of trophies of them and connect it to PSN for just one second with the new spoofer to get all my PS+ games working again? :p

I would imagine piracy (which might or might not be possible to detect) and interfering with online play would be the only things Sony would ban anyone for.

I would imagine piracy (which might or might not be possible to detect) and interfering with online play would be the only things Sony would ban anyone for.

Well technically my cartridge-backups are piracy in the broadest sense since I have the quasi PSN-versions so yeah but looking around only people who did blatant nonsense got banned so far so yeah.

Kilau

Gold Member
Well technically my cartridge-backups are piracy in the broadest sense since I have the quasi PSN-versions so yeah but looking around only people who did blatant nonsense got banned so far so yeah.

I'm not even sure what they would have done, but I am not familiar with all that can be done.

In my honest opinion, Ark is better for people that:
  • Don't pirate games.
  • Want to keep access to PSN (PS+ freebies, trophy sync, etc)
  • Only want emulators.
Right now I couldn't be happier with Ark because I get to play my Vita collection just fine plus the added bonus of being able to play older games systems and PSP backups. Currently switching between Steins;Gate and Snatcher is heavenly. And Ark isn't even that hard to install to be honest. The only inconvenience right now is that all the Ark menus (like oneMenu or 138menu) are outdated and its really annoying launching homebrews through a file browser instead of a slick homebrew launcher with icons. Hopefully we get native Ark menus for 3.63 down the line.

Shaneus

So, while we now have PSN access on 3.60, what is there that I need to do? I've downloaded a couple of PS+ games I've been wanting to play on there and bought a PS1 game or two, but I'm not sure about license things or anything that I should refresh.

I might just open every game once to see if any updates need downloading, refresh trophies... no idea what else.

In my honest opinion, Ark is better for people that:
  • Don't pirate games.
  • Want to keep access to PSN (PS+ freebies, trophy sync, etc)
  • Only want emulators.
Right now I couldn't be happier with Ark because I get to play my Vita collection just fine plus the added bonus of being able to play older games systems and PSP backups. Currently switching between Steins;Gate and Snatcher is heavenly. And Ark isn't even that hard to install to be honest. The only inconvenience right now is that all the Ark menus (like oneMenu or 138menu) are outdated and its really annoying launching homebrews threw a file browser instead of a slick homebrew launcher with icons. Hopefully we get native Ark menus for 3.63 down the line.
Unless the emulators you want require decent performance, with the extra headroom one gets with running something in the Vita userland rather than the PSP one.

Unless the emulators you want require decent performance, with the extra headroom one gets with running something in the Vita userland rather than the PSP one.

Yeah performance is better on native Vita emus that's for sure, but PSP emulators are still fully playable and the GBA emulator for example runs better than the native Vita one(s), also I'm much more familiar with the PSP emulators, they almost have a nostalgic vibe to them :)

Kilau

Gold Member
What is the best plugin for overclocking the Vita to improve performance in some games?

Does it work like boost mode on PS4 Pro?

Shaneus

What is the best plugin for overclocking the Vita to improve performance in some games?

Does it work like boost mode on PS4 Pro?
I believe so, but you can't use games that have been downloaded directly off of PSN. They need to have been "dumped" in a particular way, then reinstalled.

Don't ask me about how to dump or install anything though, I haven't bothered looking into it.

Spoofing is back for Henkaku at least until 3.64 comes out. That means PSN access is back.

(This has no effect for games that rely on feature in firmware above 3.60 though of course).

hemtaro

Neo Member
Im a bit new to henkaku....well i was able to get it to work by going to that email link site thing to activate. So far all ive done is installed a custom wallpaper. Anyone know steps i need to take to do this spoofing everyone is talking about?

shmoglish

Wait... so it is possible now to use henkaku on newer Firmware? updated my System for Dqbuilders, would be great to Play snesgames again on my way to work without buying a new vita.

Shaneus

Wait... so it is possible now to use henkaku on newer Firmware? updated my System for Dqbuilders, would be great to Play snesgames again on my way to work without buying a new vita.
No. It's possible to go online with Henkaku older firmware. There's basically no chance of newer firmwares getting Henkaku ever.

MUnited83

For you.
Nope. And damn, that was the worst game you could have updated it for, because people figured out how to play it on 3.60 quite quickly by doing some trickery with the demo i think.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is it possible to move PSN downloaded games to the USB drive, since I guess you can't dl directly to them?

Top Bottom