• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

xclaw

having trouble getting the Neogeo emu working.

its still gonna be a while till we get N64 going on PSTV

I wouldn't hold out for any n64.

Being able to load up my ps1 library is almost tempting for me to crack the seal on my pstv.

Are we there yet?

So I already have Adrenaline installed by using the Ape Escape demo, how do I go about installing the new Adrenaline version with a easy installer?

Do I just delete my current Ape Escape bubble? How do I use the Ape Escape exploit for this new easy-installer enabled Adrenaline?

A bit complicated for me, all help is greatly appreciated!

So I already have Adrenaline installed by using the Ape Escape demo, how do I go about installing the new Adrenaline version with a easy installer?

Do I just delete my current Ape Escape bubble? How do I use the Ape Escape exploit for this new easy-installer enabled Adrenaline?

A bit complicated for me, all help is greatly appreciated!

The easiest way is to just use the easy installer to install a bubble for it (it's some pool game demo thing) then install to that.

If you previously had Adrenaline installed and didn't have it customised enough to care Id recommend removing the old version first , theres a new path and the results of installing over the old version is functional but rather dumb (some of the files go to the new path location some stay in the old).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
All the retroarch cores have been hard crashing on me lately, anyone else seeing this?

The easiest way is to just use the easy installer to install a bubble for it (it's some pool game demo thing) then install to that.

If you previously had Adrenaline installed and didn't have it customised enough to care Id recommend removing the old version first , theres a new path and the results of installing over the old version is functional but rather dumb (some of the files go to the new path location some stay in the old).

Im sorry friend, I understand you're trying to help but Im afraid Im too dumb to comprehend what you're suggesting ;/

Are you saying that I 1) should just delete the ape escape bubble I have currently and then 2) use the latest easy installer vpk, and after installing that vpk just use Adrenaline as I used to before?

Im sorry friend, I understand you're trying to help but Im afraid Im too dumb to comprehend what you're suggesting ;/

Are you saying that I 1) should just delete the ape escape bubble I have currently and then 2) use the latest easy installer vpk, and after installing that vpk just use Adrenaline as I used to before?

Not quite. The easy installer vpk will put a bubble containing Easy Installer on your Vita, once you launch the Easy Installer one of the options is to install a fake PSP bubble just to install Adrenaline too (so you don't need to sacrifice anything), then you use the Easy Installer to install Adrenaline to that fake bubble , and then you can launch it from that bubble like with Ape Escape previously. You can then delete Ape Escape and reinstal the real Ape Escape game if you like.

Dark Rider

Not quite. The easy installer vpk will put a bubble containing Easy Installer on your Vita, once you launch the Easy Installer one of the options is to install a fake PSP bubble just to install Adrenaline too (so you don't need to sacrifice anything), then you use the Easy Installer to install Adrenaline to that fake bubble , and then you can launch it from that bubble like with Ape Escape previously. You can then delete Ape Escape and reinstal the real Ape Escape game if you like.

Sorry for cutting in but does this mean I can install Adrenaline without having a psp/ps1 game installed from the PSN first?

muteki

I had the first release of Adrenaline running and I upgraded to v4 a day or two ago. Here is what I did:

- using vitashell/ftp I navigated to and deleted the folder I put the old adrenaline files in.
- following the guide in the readme and again using vitashell/ftp, I copied the new adrenaline files over to the new install location. Following the guide I made sure the paths in the config.txt file were correct and reflected the new location.

Rebooted and started up my PSP game (ape escape) just like I did before, and adrenaline was installed. Didn't have to mess with any bubbles, etc.

There wasn't an easy installer for v4 when I did this but it wasn't too difficult manually either. You just follow the same steps you used to install it the first time, and if you are coming from <v2 you change install directories.

swit

I don't think Adrenaline v4 is worth it. It seems to introduce framedrops on multiple titles I've tested (Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy 9) due to new scaling options that can't be disabled (vanilla scaling is not available). I've downgraded it back to 3.1 and now all my PSX games once again work at full speed.

I don't think Adrenaline v4 is worth it. It seems to introduce framedrops on multiple titles I've tested (Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy 9) due to new scaling options that can't be disabled (vanilla scaling is not available). I've downgraded it back to 3.1 and now all my PSX games once again work at full speed.

Yeah I'm sticking with 3.1 for the same reason, I don't doubt the flow when he is able will address those issues though.

Shaneus

I noticed that my regular Vita home screen started slowing down yesterday, too. I don't know if that could be related to the new Adrenaline or not, though.

Might install another PSP/minis title while I still have access to PSN, and I'll have two versions of Adrenaline going, one for when I want filters and one when I don't (as much as I love having widescreen working for Wipeout 3 SE), it definitely does seem to cause slowdown. I think that should be possible.

Edit: Also just had an idea: If the Adrenaline filters slowing down the PS1 emulation are GPU based, maybe applying the GPU overclock to that particular bubble (in my case, Apache Overkill) would resolve the issue. I'll test when I can and let everyone know.

Edit #2: So you can apply the overclock, but it makes no difference to the PS1 emu. But in doing this, I found out that through the official settings when you run a PS1 game it gives you the menu options as if you launched a PS1 title from the main Vita menu. So you can still stretch the screen anyway with 3.1 if you just go through there.

Which means full screen Wipeout 3 ^_^

mrsmr2

I noticed that my regular Vita home screen started slowing down yesterday, too. I don't know if that could be related to the new Adrenaline or not, though.

You mean the gui seems to slow down, like it's running at half the frame rate when you navigate around the icons and the different panes?

I've always had that on mine, and a full reboot is the way to fix it.

Shaneus

You mean the gui seems to slow down, like it's running at half the frame rate when you navigate around the icons and the different panes?

I've always had that on mine, and a full reboot is the way to fix it.
I've found going into VitaShell and back out seems to correct it. I guess it's a plugin that's not unloading or something.

I've started looking into CWcheat patches for PSP and PS1 games, too. Turns out some of the framerate unlocking patches/codes actually work on the Vita! Burnout Legends now runs at a flat 60fps in the PSP userland on Vita. I'm hunting down more games (both PSP and PS1) that have patches out there that might benefit.

I can't tell you the joy of having a portable Burnout that runs as fast as it's full-sizes console counterparts!

Shaneus

Looks like I just got IP banned for using this :( Probably the spoofing to access the store that did it.
Happened to me as well, pretty sure it's leaving Near open and updating it, it apparently pings Sony every 30 seconds or something. I've not changed a thing except Near settings (and avoided opening it) since and it hasn't happened again.

And I still see trophy sync notifications every morning.

Darknight

Curious on this stuff. I have my old Vita on 3.18 I thiink but havent used it in a long time.

If you dump your own games, can you earn trophies and maybe eventually sync to main account?

My issue is my old PSN account I dont use but I bought a ton of Vita/PSP games on it. My new and main account doesnt. So if I were to do this hack, I'd backup my games from my old account and play with my new one but not sure if the trophies would get me banned as technically they are from the other ID.

JudgeN

Fuck my life, went to update to 3.1, it didn't work I restarted and rebuilt database because henkatu wouldn't start and now it won't read my memory card. ugh 64GB card might be down the drain.

mrsmr2

My fears exactly and something I was likely to post myself.

But, as a EU peasant I don't have the option to update it yet.

I'm going to take a backup of the game via QCMA first, just in case.

nOoblet16

So guys I'm unaware of anything in the vita homebrew scene so I have a few questions

1) What are the things that are currently possible with custom firmware?
2) What's the emulation scene like ?Recently I became really interested in playing Sheep Raider and some PS1 games not available on PSN again so I got myself a PS1 copy so as to emulate on PC but I'd prefer it on Vita if there is one.
3) Can I still use PSN with a customer firmware? Probably no

So guys I'm unaware of anything in the vita homebrew scene so I have a few questions

1) What are the things that are currently possible with custom firmware?
2) What's the emulation scene like ?Recently I became really interested in playing Sheep Raider and some PS1 games not available on PSN again so I got myself a PS1 copy so as to emulate on PC but I'd prefer it on Vita if there is one.
3) Can I still use PSN with a customer firmware? Probably no

1) There's pretty much full access to both the Vita and PSP emulator post boot (but you need to be on 3.60)

2) Probably the best portable PSX /PSP emulation on a portable but neither are perfect (PSX native emulation is limited to the POPS in 6.60/6.61 since POPsloader doesn't work and the PSP still has some issues with DLC due to security measures that haven't been patched out yet). Otherwise Retroarch covers most things and since the Vita is the most powerful hacked portable console by far it's about the limit (obviously it's not going to emulate similar gen different architectures), though since the full hack is relatively immature it may not reach its potential.

3) Not at the moment. Unless someone got the relevant key post last update and I missed it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I hope they can bring back spoofing eventually, since I just figured out how to store purchased games on my USB drive as the update came...

So given the Adrenaline V3/V4 release, we have PSX support. Would it be better to use a PSTV or PS3 to play PSOne classics Castlevania SotN and Suikoden II?

I am asking namely about input lag and image quality.

My understanding is that V4 has some issues with PSX framerate but V3.x lacks options to play full vertical height (I want to play 4:3 with no top/bottom bars).

mattiewheels

I'm pretty sure spoofing still works? I think my trophies auto synced on my Vita as recently as this morning.
Whoa, I guess I had a plugin in the wrong folder cause it does work. Figured the update would mess that up.

Shaneus

Whoa, I guess I had a plugin in the wrong folder cause it does work. Figured the update would mess that up.
Just need to make sure via MolecularShell that the spoof version is 3.65.

Surprised it hasn't been blocked yet. Having said that, I bet I've just jinxed it.

So given the Adrenaline V3/V4 release, we have PSX support. Would it be better to use a PSTV or PS3 to play PSOne classics Castlevania SotN and Suikoden II?

I am asking namely about input lag and image quality.

My understanding is that V4 has some issues with PSX framerate but V3.x lacks options to play full vertical height (I want to play 4:3 with no top/bottom bars).
I've been playing Wipeout 3 SE and I'm pretty sure the PS1 emulation is full height in 720p (from memory). I'm sticking with using V3 because of the framerate issue, but I also suspect the V4 framerate problem might not exist on PSTV. Might not.

Dark Rider

I have a playstation tv and I plan to install HENKaku, ARK, Adrenaline, emulators and whatever is useful to back up my games and saves. So is there a definitive guide that I should follow? Any advice would be appreciated.

Megatron

Does remote play work with Henkaku?

I should probably bite the bullet and just upgrade. I have a version of henkaku now. Do I run the risk of an ip ban if I upgrade?

sensui-tomo

okay i've waited for a looooong ass time to do this, whats the difference of vita shell and Adrenaline? i've got my FTP system working and put those 2 files plus the offline installer in just because guides i've read said to. going to have to find the stuff that allows me to use my external and dump my games to it. (i know this is for vita tv, not sure if i want to hack my ps vita though)

Shaneus

okay i've waited for a looooong ass time to do this, whats the difference of vita shell and Adrenaline? i've got my FTP system working and put those 2 files plus the offline installer in just because guides i've read said to. going to have to find the stuff that allows me to use my external and dump my games to it. (i know this is for vita tv, not sure if i want to hack my ps vita though)
Vita Shell is a file manager for the Vita storage and Adrenaline is the name of the PSP exploit, allowing you to basically run a PSP virtual machine (if sorts).

sensui-tomo

Vita Shell is a file manager for the Vita storage and Adrenaline is the name of the PSP exploit, allowing you to basically run a PSP virtual machine (if sorts).

thanks that helps, found out my external hard drive isnt compatible so i'm gonna buy a usb to just use for it.

Dark Rider

which one of these tools I should use for overclocking: BetterAmphetaminPlugin or Oclock Vita?

And which RetroArch version should I use? I hear the latest have some problem so I'm trying to figure out which version would be best at this point in time.

Anyone know?

EU PSN has finally been updated so I'm all ready to go.

Edit: I can confirm Treasure Trove works with 3.60

AFAIK program updates have never changed the launchable system version. I'm not even sure it's theoretically possible given the way game updates work on pre-PS4 Sony systems.

mrsmr2

Thanks. The reason two of us though of this is because Treasure Trove is a little different to the usual update. It now includes three standalone games - one of which was just released, so that could be with a newer firmware.

So we didn't know if we were getting a new game altogether (its title has changed), three standalone games, or an update to the previous title.

However, it looks like it was an update as it works fine :)

ss_lemonade

If all you want it for is remote play, consider using your PC or android phone?
This used to be possible even without a dualshock 4 (remote play worked on my Shield Portable for instance, with full controls). Now, it seems to be limited to Sony phones or other android phones with their Sony framework flashed, and you need a dualshock 4. Unless there's another solution?

Top Bottom