• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Thinking about updating past 3.60. I don't use Henkaku for anything really and I don't want to get banned for spoofing or whatever. I haven't touched my Vita in ages and I just want to play games.

Haven't posted much here since I just don't see a reason to hack my Vita, but I'm signing off...

FWIW the "spoof" bans seem to be IP bans for hitting the servers too much caused by Near being borked, if you turn off Near and other location based services you should be fine. Other than stupid stuff like trying to synch tropies for PSN only games you don't own.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You can use USB for storage on the PSTV . its part of Vita Shell not Adrenaline.

The USB use on Adrenaline is the other way around, it lets you use the PSP style USB connection to access the Vita from a PC not the other way around (probably not particularly useful since you could do this from vita shell anyway).

I don't know the exact details since I don't have a Vita TV but afaik yes.
I can't launch adrenaline once I'm USB mounted because it's on the main memory card. I even tried installing adrenaline once I mounted with easyintaller but it's saying I'm not running henkaku while mounted. This is confusing.

FWIW the "spoof" bans seem to be IP bans for hitting the servers too much caused by Near being borked, if you turn off Near and other location based services you should be fine. Other than stupid stuff like trying to synch tropies for PSN only games you don't own.

Does sony reverse bans at all? I literally only want to use henkaku to play using Japanese voiceovers for JRPg's and translate some games I physically import , I mean I'm not doing anything illegal or hurting any companies by doing either of these things but some companies like to take the lazy idgaf TOS approach to bans.
My PSTV is still running the original Henkaku (haven't turned it on since it was too much work to do stuff back then) , my vita is updated , I'd like to sync trophies from the TV if possible.

Does sony reverse bans at all? I literally only want to use henkaku to play using Japanese voiceovers for JRPg's and translate some games I physically import , I mean I'm not doing anything illegal or hurting any companies by doing either of these things but some companies like to take the lazy idgaf TOS approach to bans.
My PSTV is still running the original Henkaku (haven't turned it on since it was too much work to do stuff back then) , my vita is updated , I'd like to sync trophies from the TV if possible.

IP bans are generally temporary and only last a few days. Account / Console bans probably won't get overturned if CFW style stuff is involved in anyway but as I said I haven't heard of this hoping for non-idiotic Henkaku use yet, just the PS3.

Shaneus

So I have a few eboots going, very happy to have THPS2 and the Wipeouts running at full speed!

Next question: if I get this up and running on my PSTV, can I use USB storage to store PS1 (and PSP I guess) eboots?

Gazunta

I remember there was an excellent NeoGAF-branded idiot-proof guide to getting emulators and homebrew installed on Wii when that happened. Is there something similar for PS Vita? I got a SNES emulator working great but the Genesis and Master System emulators just error out when I fire them up. I feel like I'm missing some simple thing.

I'm downloading a vpk file, firing up Molecular Shell, pressing X on the vpk to install it, then the emulator appears on the dashboard, I press X to load that, it comes up with a loading screen and then crashes. Whaaaaaat. Meanwhile the SNES emulator continues to work fine.

I remember there was an excellent NeoGAF-branded idiot-proof guide to getting emulators and homebrew installed on Wii when that happened. Is there something similar for PS Vita? I got a SNES emulator working great but the Genesis and Master System emulators just error out when I fire them up. I feel like I'm missing some simple thing.

I'm downloading a vpk file, firing up Molecular Shell, pressing X on the vpk to install it, then the emulator appears on the dashboard, I press X to load that, it comes up with a loading screen and then crashes. Whaaaaaat. Meanwhile the SNES emulator continues to work fine.

Use the all-in-one nightly not separate emulators.

Has Retroarch emulation improved lately? I haven't updated since October, but the SNES and GBA emulation was still a bit rough.

GBA emulator (gpSP) got a dynamic recompiler somewhere around December, which greatly improved the performance of many games. You should update.

Shaneus

where do i get that?
When you download Retroarch, it'll be a big zip with stacks of VPKs in it. Rather than install a VPK per core, just install the main Retroarch VPK (it's the biggest file there, by a long shot).

Glad you've finally joined into the Vita homebrew scene, Gaz!

IP bans are generally temporary and only last a few days. Account / Console bans probably won't get overturned if CFW style stuff is involved in anyway but as I said I haven't heard of this hoping for non-idiotic Henkaku use yet, just the PS3.
Yep I'm aware of that, just wanted to know if there's a possibility of sony banning my account I have a thousand+ pounds worth of games which I don't want to lose over something like syncing trophies. Did they ever mass ban people years later or was it always close to the infraction?

Yep I'm aware of that, just wanted to know if there's a possibility of sony banning my account I have a thousand+ pounds worth of games which I don't want to lose over something like syncing trophies. Did they ever mass ban people years later or was it always close to the infraction?

They did waves sometimes but it was never more than a few months after the infraction. I haven't heard of waves from Sony instead of the automated detection bans (which are close to instant to maybe a week) in years but that will probably change if the PS4 gets properly hacked.

ETA - The Adrenaline Easy installer is out now for those who were lazy like me. https://github.com/Freakler/vita-AdrenalineEasyInstaller/releases
ETA2 - Seems Adrenaline v3 isn't quiet a complete PSP replacement yet, POPSLoader doesn't work, so you can't use Adrenaline to play PSX games that required earlier POPS version. Its possible this could be fixed with a plugin update though.

swit

With full PS1 support I finally decided to update from 3.18 to 3.60 Henkaku. I'm wondering if it is possible to enable GPU overclocking on retail Vita games or is it still limited to backup copies?

Not the Messiah

Neo Member
With full PS1 support I finally decided to update from 3.18 to 3.60 Henkaku. I'm wondering if it is possible to enable GPU overclocking on retail Vita games or is it still limited to backup copies?

You can overclock retail games now with this -
https://github.com/frangarcj/oclockvita

You need to manually add the titleid of the game you want to use it on to a config file which is a bit of a hassle, but it works like a charm!

Smo21

I have ark on my 3.60 and want to change to adrenaline. Can I use the same PSP game? Any steps or what I should do?
What are the pros and cons of each

Also was running into issues with permission when transferring files using filezilla. How do I fix this?

Gazunta

When you download Retroarch, it'll be a big zip with stacks of VPKs in it. Rather than install a VPK per core, just install the main Retroarch VPK (it's the biggest file there, by a long shot).

Glad you've finally joined into the Vita homebrew scene, Gaz!

Thanks SHane! :)

OK so I copied the Retroarch VPK, pressed install and it's just been sitting at "Installing..." 0% for half an hour now.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY SKITCHIN' WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED

swit

You can overclock retail games now with this -
https://github.com/frangarcj/oclockvita

You need to manually add the titleid of the game you want to use it on to a config file which is a bit of a hassle, but it works like a charm!
thanks.

Also, games need to be re-dumped to a particular format for it to work. So no games on a cart work with that, and neither do legit PSN titles.

that's a bummer, if this is still the case :(

horkrux

Kingdom Hearts BBSFM with English patch still doesn't work with Adrenaline :/
But it works with Ark :D

Kind of relieved to see it's not the Vita's fault then.

Tarnpanzer

Thinking about updating past 3.60. I don't use Henkaku for anything really and I don't want to get banned for spoofing or whatever. I haven't touched my Vita in ages and I just want to play games.

Haven't posted much here since I just don't see a reason to hack my Vita, but I'm signing off...

Because of this I have two Vita. One for emulation, another one for Vita-Games etc.

swit

Do I update the all-in-one core to do that? Also, how is the USB mode in Adrenaline working for 1000 models?
USB mode works just fine with official cable on Vita 1000. You can connect the console to PC via either VitaShell (press Select) or from within Adrenaline (USB Connection in XMB).

Kingdom Hearts BBSFM with English patch still doesn't work with Adrenaline :/
But it works with Ark :D

Kind of relieved to see it's not the Vita's fault then.

It seems someone reported it and TheFlow is looking into it.

The Disgaea 2 DHD DLC is still borked for the record, and I've reported that too. I'm pretty sure the same issue effects multiple games DLCs it's just that this is the most obnoxious since it nags you about it perpetually.

after many times having errors trying to run my legit Persona 4 G I am updating the vita. For real homebrew machine the N3DS and 2DS remain

? If you don't launch Henkaku the eshop version or card should run exactly like a normal system 3.60 waaay post dated P4G. So I'm guessing this is a dump of a card you own ? A cursory glance at Reddit says it's dumpable and runnable too. You might want to make sure you dumped it correctly and that whatever tool you used was up to date.

? If you don't launch Henkaku the eshop version or card should run exactly like a normal system 3.60 waaay post dated P4G. So I'm guessing this is a dump of a card you own ? A cursory glance at Reddit says it's dumpable and runnable too. You might want to make sure you dumped it correctly and that whatever tool you used was up to date.

It just randomly crashed. Black screen and then reset.

Now i updated. And i got ip banned. Time to reset the router

It just randomly crashed. Black screen and then reset.

Now i updated. And i got ip banned. Time to reset the router

I'm like 85% certain that had nothing to do with Henkaku or 3.60 assuming it wasn't a dump ,it's more likely the memory card is damaged or the install is corrupted.

Henkaku is a temporary exploit, it doesn't actually do anything when it's not running (it does put a few extra files in some places but P4G and 3.60 are too old to look for them and they aren't in normal execution paths).

Likewise P4G would have had problems on normal 3.60 if it was 3.60 since it came out way before.

Its too late to go back now but I'd definitely recommend backing up that memory card if it's a digital download and maybe doing an integrity check on it using chkdsk or the Windows error checker.

Gazunta

OK Retroarch is doing my head in. I think I'm wrapping my head around it...but...

Why doesn't it save my settings? It keeps reverting to the default settings, including the kinda-annoying "O to confirm, X to cancel" nonsense, and the "in my mind this is a crime against humanity and the developers need to be rotting in the Hague" bi-linear filtering being on all the time.

I turn off those settings, go to "configurations", hit save, load a game, everything seems fine. Then I load another game and EVERYTHING GOES BACK TO THE DEFAULT WHY.

Also, why does it take days - literal days - to scan a directory of ROMS to add it to a list?

suikodan

OK Retroarch is doing my head in. I think I'm wrapping my head around it...but...

Why doesn't it save my settings? It keeps reverting to the default settings, including the kinda-annoying "O to confirm, X to cancel" nonsense, and the "in my mind this is a crime against humanity and the developers need to be rotting in the Hague" bi-linear filtering being on all the time.

I turn off those settings, go to "configurations", hit save, load a game, everything seems fine. Then I load another game and EVERYTHING GOES BACK TO THE DEFAULT WHY.

Also, why does it take days - literal days - to scan a directory of ROMS to add it to a list?

When you save your settings, they're being written in a new CFG file. The best thing you could do is to browse the files from a PC, find the MAIN Retroarch.cfg, edit it with your settings, save and enjoy.

So looks like Sony pushed out a new set of firmware for both Vita and PS4. Obviously going to block update on my Vita, but does anybody know if I am safe to update my PS4? I have been remote playing Persona 5 on my Henkaku'd Vita thru direct connection and want to continue to do so, but I will hold off updating the PS4 if it will give me trouble using my hacked Vita to remote play.

IP ban has been overturned lately but I hope it doesnt become a hardware ban. That would suck, and thats what I'm afraid of if I update.

So looks like Sony pushed out a new set of firmware for both Vita and PS4. Obviously going to block update on my Vita, but does anybody know if I am safe to update my PS4? I have been remote playing Persona 5 on my Henkaku'd Vita thru direct connection and want to continue to do so, but I will hold off updating the PS4 if it will give me trouble using my hacked Vita to remote play.

IP ban has been overturned lately but I hope it doesnt become a hardware ban. That would suck, and thats what I'm afraid of if I update.

You mean 4.55? I have the latest FW on PS4 and Henkaku on Vita, and I'm playing P5 all day long, no issues.

Shaneus

so with the new usb storage support update, does ti make moving files to the PSTV easy now?
Kind of. What I've worked out, you format the USB in the right format, copy everything on ux0 to uma0 (I think it's quickest to do this on the device itself), then mount it as ux0 in VitaShell.

Because it's a regular USB storage device, you can connect that to your PC and copy stuff straight to it.

So in so many words, yes it does 8)

muteki

Some noobish questions about Adrenaline v3+ and some new features if anyone has figured them out before me:

-is there any way to completely disable any and all smoothing on the PSP interface? I've figured it out for once I'm in the PSX games, but I don't see an option to disable it for the menu

-using the (new to me) usb transfer mode in vitashell, I can get it to work but the folders I have access to on my PC are much more limited than what I can do over FTP. Is that just the current limitation or am I doing something wrong?

Some noobish questions about Adrenaline v3+ and some new features if anyone has figured them out before me:

-is there any way to completely disable any and all smoothing on the PSP interface? I've figured it out for once I'm in the PSP games, but I don't see an option to disable it for the menu

-using the (new to me) usb transfer mode in vitashell, I can get it to work but the folders I have access to on my PC are much more limited than what I can do over FTP. Is that just the current limitation or am I doing something wrong?

In your folder browser -> View -> Options -> View ->

Untick "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Thanks. Quite happy to be playing GT2 on my Vita.

Heck yea.

Also in terms of filtering, I like my pixels pretty much razor sharp in all their unfiltered glory and the best combo of filters I have found is in Adrenaline to set filtering to Bilinear Sharp and Smoothing off. Then in the official settings I have Bilinear off and the mode set to normal to get full vertical height.

Not sure if that is the BEST way but it looks mighty nice on my OLED. Alundra is downright breathtaking. What an underrated game. It does everything that Zelda: A Link to the Past does but in a much more adult/japanese way.

I am also a huge fan of Ridge Racer. Driftooooooooooo. I sure wish they would've gone with a native Vita title.

muteki

Heck yea.

Also in terms of filtering, I like my pixels pretty much razor sharp in all their unfiltered glory and the best combo of filters I have found is in Adrenaline to set filtering to Bilinear Sharp and Smoothing off. Then in the official settings I have Bilinear off and the mode set to normal to get full vertical height.

Not sure if that is the BEST way but it looks mighty nice on my OLED. Alundra is downright breathtaking. What an underrated game. It does everything that Zelda: A Link to the Past does but in a much more adult/japanese way.

I am also a huge fan of Ridge Racer. Driftooooooooooo. I sure wish they would've gone with a native Vita title.

Ridge Racer 1?

I tried it real quick but the music tracks were all scrambled in the menu. Maybe I need to make another eboot...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kind of. What I've worked out, you format the USB in the right format, copy everything on ux0 to uma0 (I think it's quickest to do this on the device itself), then mount it as ux0 in VitaShell.

Because it's a regular USB storage device, you can connect that to your PC and copy stuff straight to it.

So in so many words, yes it does 8)
Can you actually copy ux0 to USB directly in Vitashell? It acts like the two are segregated completely, and it seems like my only course of copying is FTP, which will take a ridiculous amount of time.

linkboy

With the ability to load PS1 games, my Vita to me is pretty much where I want it. Having my entire PS1 library portable (Lunar on the go, hell yes) is amazing.

docyoe

Heck yea.

There is one....it was a launch game

Shaneus

Can you actually copy ux0 to USB directly in Vitashell? It acts like the two are segregated completely, and it seems like my only course of copying is FTP, which will take a ridiculous amount of time.
Yep. Select what you want to copy on ux9, triangle, "copy", back out to the drive listing, select uma0 (or whatever it's called) and paste.

swit

Also, games need to be re-dumped to a particular format for it to work. So no games on a cart work with that, and neither do legit PSN titles.

This is incorrect. Better amphetamin indeed requires dumped games but Tai Henkaku plugins works on retail games too, if they have been coded that way. Both Simple Overclock Plugin for Taihen and FPS counter plugin for PSVITA work just fine on retail Wipeout 2048 without dumping (right from the cartridge).

It's a true game changer to me - Wipeout HD and Fury campaign DLCs now runs at locked 30FPS with performance overclock - no frame drops at all.

Shaneus

This is incorrect. Better amphetamin indeed requires dumped games but Tai Henkaku plugins works on retail games too, if they have been coded that way. Both Simple Overclock Plugin for Taihen and FPS counter plugin for PSVITA work just fine on retail Wipeout 2048 without dumping (right from the cartridge).

It's a true game changer to me - Wipeout HD and Fury campaign DLCs now runs at locked 30FPS with performance overclock - no frame drops at all.
Oh really? I thought you could only overclock on dumped games. That's made my day! Especially about Wipeout specifically. Now if only they can work out how to increase the clock of the PSP environment so there's no slowdown in Outrun C2C...

Top Bottom