• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is what a faithful remake of Final Fantasy 9 could look like in Unity Engine

CyberPanda

Banned
3D artist Fabian Denter has shared some GIFs and screenshots, showcasing what a modern remake of Final Fantasy 9 could look like in a modern-day engine. In order to create this scene, the artist used the Unity Engine, and the results are incredible.

The artist has recreated the street in Lindblum where the Tantalus headquarters are. Moreover, he was able to import Zidane’s model and give us a glimpse at its gameplay. This is all smoke and mirrors as there is only one scene and the player cannot interact with anything. Still, it can give us an idea of what such a remake could look like.

It’s also worth noting that Denter used Unity’s built-in pipeline, using mixed lighting (real-time direct and baked indirect lighting). This scene took him almost a year to create, so yeah… don’t expect to see more scenes.

Unfortunately, the artist has not released this project to the public, meaning that we can’t experience ourselves this tech demo. Still, I’m pretty sure that most FFIX fans will appreciate the following screenshots and GIFs.

hnNMHII.jpg

Dvi07yx.jpg

Ryu Kaiba

one of the most beautiful settings in all of gaming, i know it's unlikely but i'd love for square or someone to tackle this remake as well.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Beautiful. When modern tech meets fantastical art design, instead of being used for a thousand modern world and military settings.

I really would love to see more games use the amazing tech we have today, in more imaginative ways.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Something seems...off.
Maybe it's Zidane looking like an evil Chucky doll. All these unity or unreal engine things are the same. Fancy looking scenery but horrifying character models if done by scratch.

FMXVII

That is beautiful.

If they can make it like that with much faster battle speed at least optional, and much faster field to battle transitions, it would arguably take IV'splace as 2nd best FF of all time, in my book.

...and IV begat my love affair with the series.

Pallas

I keep forgetting his vibrant and colorful FFIX is compare to FFVII and FFVIII

Would definitely enjoy a remake.

Azurro

Banned
Maybe it's Zidane looking like an evil Chucky doll. All these unity or unreal engine things are the same. Fancy looking scenery but horrifying character models if done by scratch.

But Zidane always looked horrifying. All FFIX characters did, except Vivi.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
But Zidane always looked horrifying. All FFIX characters did, except Vivi.
Yeah but not that bad. It brings me back to my second point about the custom models.

To be fair it's somewhat better now so maybe that guy can improve the Zidane as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuz

Banned
People don't need video games, but we want them.
He's right, though. Thanks to the amazing art design and whimsical attitude, the game aged really well. It's still beautiful. Maybe a remaster would be good, but a remake isn't needed.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Something seems...off. Maybe I’m too used to the jankiness of the original.

Personally I’m quite content with the PC release and the upscaling AI mod. Makes a word of difference.

Speaking of which. There's a guy that continues the Moguri mod and has been fixing artifacts.

Last edited:

Myths

One of the best FFs, always a blast playing it again and again. The setting is something else, but that footage is right on the money imo.

I'm on my 4th attempt at finishing this game, now on disc 3. Haven't gotten this far before. It's an ok game, although I see why people do adore it. Honestly looking forward to playing FF8 again, but...

This demo looks interesting. Seems from above if you're a huge fan of the game this probably isn't for you. While I get that, it may preserve the integrity of the game more so than the FF7 one going on.

Fbh

Looks pretty nice aside from that Zidane model, I'd absolutely buy another re-release if given that treatment.
IX still has one of best and nicest looking worlds in gaming and nothing the franchise has done since comes close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom