• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's an underrated gem, Prince of Persia 08

Whompa02

Good game. Loved the aesthetic. Wish Ubisoft was brave enough to continue that storyline and fine tune some of the gameplay to be less repeitive...loved what I played though

Elika was an awesome heroine

cyber_ninja

Loved all the previous POP games, but this one I disliked a lot. I gave up on it after an hour or so. I guess it wasn't for me.

120v

crazy how far we've come. i remember this being the most beautiful game i ever seen but watching the OP video it looks like a 3DS game

Hexa

I thought it was the worst PoP game. The platforming was a step back, the combat was a lot worse and repetetive, and the story had a crappy cliffhanger end that made no sense. The two main characters relationship was cool, and the art/music was nice, but that's not enough to hold it up imo.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
crazy how far we've come. i remember this being the most beautiful game i ever seen but watching the OP video it looks like a 3DS game

How much are you willing to sell that highly modified prototype 3ds for? I'd love graphics like this on the go.

It looked great but the gameplay and structure just felt like a huge step down from sands of time

Loved the presentation though which got me to finish it

Mephala

I think the combat let the game down a bit. The fact that it is always just 1v1 or technically 2v1 in your favour removes a lot of the tension. It looked stylish and I loved how Elika weaves in and out of the Prince's attacks as they fight together but the enemy AI left a lot to be desired. There was no challenge only a few gimmicks of when to attack or positioning on the battle ground.

The lack of dying isn't an issue for me. It kind of reminds me of Dark Souls in how death is just a small set back, though obviously DS did it a bit better with all the mechanics working with it.

The parkouring, one of the reasons I like the series, is pretty much auto pilot until the later segments. I still enjoy it and it is fun to watch. Restoring the lands to life was a relaxing and satisfying feeling. As was collecting the remaining light seeds afterwards. One interesting idea they had is to allow you to rush to an enemy spawn and kill it before battle begins. This isn't done particularly well because it is sometimes difficult to see where enemy spawns are but I think this is how the game should be played. Emphasis on speedy parkouring to stop combat before it begins. The combat is there to slow you down and honestly there is too much of it. A way to eliminate it before it begins was a good idea that just needed a bit more polish in execution.

Prince and Elika's character development was great. A lot of games feature "side kick" characters that run around doing their own thing according to AI or scripts. Elika isn't quite like that. She moves around a little and follows closely but she feels almost part of the Prince mechanically because she automatically saves you from failed jumps, she acts as your double jump and you have control of her in combat with a button to make her attack. This means in combat Elika can be as aggressive as I want her to be and she is always throwing me to the next platform and not just there for switches like most other games. Another bonus is that there is very little in the game which forces you to split up from her. None of this "Wait here, I need to go do some video game chores to lower this platform" type stuff.

The banter and humour was pretty good too. It certainly grew on me. I expected it to be a bit over bearing given it was only ever between the Prince and Elika but that didn't happen.
zAP6k8T.gif

In a word. The game was fun. I wonder if there is a good speed run of the game. Might be fun to watch.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I keep forgetting to buy this only POP game I liked other than the 1989 one

Negaduck

My brother had this game. I tried playing it a few times but was turned off by the combat.

One of the most beautiful games made though, art direction straight NOICE!

The artwork in this one is far superior than any other pOp IMO. I just loved the graphics and the smothness of moving through walls and the platforming kinda reminds me of rayman legends/fiesta. It's not really challenging but it sure gives you a nice feeling doing all combinations of the moves you get to learn as you advance in the game. Battles are very repetitive and basically have no dynamic in there just parry/evade & counterattack if i remember correctly and you can't really compare this to sands of time trilogy. They're just different. Pop08 is way more user/noob friendly. Also OST is great!
They should definitely give us another pOp trilogy this generation man. Games nowadays are so user-friendly that the moment i see the 1st gameplay & how heavy cutscene based it is, i just lose interest right there. Bring us more challenging platform/puzzle 3rd person games.

Good game. Loved the aesthetic. Wish Ubisoft was brave enough to continue that storyline and fine tune some of the gameplay to be less repeitive...loved what I played though

Elika was an awesome heroine

I get a reverse TLoU vibe from the ending here.

I really wanted a sequel, but the fact we never got one makes me think about it so much more about how it could and should have gone down. It's lack of true sequel makes it even more powerful.

We've lost that "what if" from TLoU.

nullref

I thought it was a big step down from Sands of Time, which I loved (and was the only PoP game I'd played prior). I found it a big disappointment.

The art direction was really nice, but that's about the main good quality of the game. The environments weren't very interesting to traverse. (The correct path was generally highly telegraphed.) The game had almost no challenge, and the non-linear level structure added nothing interesting and probably actively hampered creating any kind of difficulty curve. (Maybe the platforming gets more interesting if you try to get all the light orb things? I wouldn't know, because I have no interest in some dumb collectathon.)

The 1:1 combat encounters were a decent idea, but there were so few of them in the game that you didn't have much of an opportunity to learn the combo system, and the encounters and boss battles weren't very interesting and got repetitive quickly.

muu

Fun game, ultimately did not finish. Frame rate and movement game me some motion sickness playing on 360.

May have to buy it for PC when it's down to 2.49 again on Steam.

Honestly, with the love it gets and pretty decent scores, I don't feel it's underrated. Not talked about, sure, not underrated though. I really liked it however. Not too technical, yet relaxing in its simplicity. It essentially felt like an action rhythm game for me.

Also, not being able to die is the most gamer complaint I've ever heard and why this medium's fans are the worst. The game is easy for plenty of reasons, but getting rid of a game over screen cuts down on boring time. The middleman added nothing, why not use a more elegant solution? That's what this game did.
I never got that complaint for the same reason. It's literally the same cycle of "failure > reset to spot before failure" that a reload or you died screen would offer, except it stays in-game and reinforces the relationship between the characters

How many games uses that very basic concept of checkpoints and failure for a narrative purpose, rather than just the gameplay usage of a Souls or a roguelike?

Tuck

No.

The game is bad. Sure, it's pretty. Really pretty! And the pre-boss set pieces are super fun to look at.

But once you stop watching and start playing, you realize just how poor the game is. The platforming is repetitive and simplistic. The way button presses queue make it frustrating, with the character doing things you don't want him to, often.

And my god, the combat. The rest of the game may be serviceable but the combat just shits all over what would otherwise be a mediocre product, and turns it into a bad one.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Still don't like the accent of the Prince. Loved the rest of it though, even if it literally held your hand for most of the time.

Extremely underrated game. I loved the 1 on 1 arena style combat and the platforming, especially later in the game was excellent. Let's not forget that gorgeous art style and the surprisingly good story and chemistry between the two protags. I remember the end credit scene was beautiful as well.

Too bad the DLC left a cliffhanger for a game we will never get.

VAD

Yves, please revive the PoP series and make a sequel. The only fault this game had was that it was too easy.

Garlador

No, Ubisoft... don't give us a sequel and conclusion to the giant, enormous cliffhanger to the phenomenal Prince of Persia '08...

... By all means, release over two dozen Assassin's Creed games instead.

Geez, what I wouldn't give to keep this series going. Ahriman's rampaging on the loose and someone needs to stop him, after all.

I remember having a decent amount of fun with this game and that it was a really gorgeous art style. I feel like that's the general consensus. I admittedly don't remember the ending of the game, so I'll have to Youtube it some time soon.

Loved this game to death; really had this great atmosphere and magic surrounding the whole world, and the level design was really compelling. Loved the original ending too (not a fan of amending it via dlc though)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Its a good game but certainly had a lot of problems too. I really love a lot of the ideas in it, and wished they could have been reexplored. Also that art style and just general character designs <3

Loved this game to death; really had this great atmosphere and magic surrounding the whole world, and the level design was really compelling. Loved the original ending too (not a fan of amending it via dlc though)

I am so glad someone else thinks that! That is one of my favorite endings in a video game and I thought the DLC really ruined that nice close it had. Especially with a sequel tease that will never happen.

I actually find it to be overrated. It's definitely not a game for me or anyone who really loved the original unforgiving trilogy and definitely got away from the roots of the series, revolving around traps, trial and error.

Now I know a few who loved the original trilogy and still liked this, but didn't treat it like a Prince of Persia game. It's not a bad game, but its a very easy platformer based around two interesting characters that don't fit the setting at all and collecting orbs across the open world. The biggest slap in the face comes from the ending and absolutely horrible cliffhanger ending that will never get resolved, 8 years later. It's almost like you're playing the game in auto-pilot at times. The combat is easy, you can't die, the platforming is very forgiving and there really isn't much else to the game but that.

I'd be fine if it was called anything but a Prince of Persia game but even then, its a heavily flawed yet interesting game. Like the original Mirrors Edge. That being said, I'd totally play this any day of week over that poor man's Prince of Persia in Forgotten Sands. I don't blame Ubisoft for keeping this series in bed because its clear they don't know how to bring it back. The sands of time were such a unique and interesting core of the game design that it's very difficult to try something different while staying true to the roots of the franchise.

Best wishes.

SURGEdude

Looks great no doubt. But it's like PoP with training wheels which ends up making it an overly easy boring slog. It's the only one of the 3D PoP's I actually gave up about 80% of the way through. I've even replayed Warrior Within and that game was hard to stomach thematically.

Nzyme32

Still not got round to this. Recently blasted through the "original" (reboot) Prince of Persia and the 2nd, both of which still work great today on PC. Gonna go through that third one and the finally 08

I think this was my first platinum. Really enjoyed the Epilogue too. Was pretty sad that it never got a sequel and Assassin's Creed essentially killed the Prince of Persia franchise.

SURGEdude

I actually find it to be overrated. It's definitely not a game for me or anyone who really loved the original unforgiving trilogy and definitely got away from the roots of the series, revolving around traps, trial and error.

Now I know a few who loved the original trilogy and still liked this, but didn't treat it like a Prince of Persia game. It's not a bad game, but its a very easy platformer based around two interesting characters that don't fit the setting at all and collecting orbs across the open world. The biggest slap in the face comes from the ending and absolutely horrible cliffhanger ending that will never get resolved, 8 years later. It's almost like you're playing the game in auto-pilot at times. The combat is easy, you can't die, the platforming is very forgiving and there really isn't much else to the game but that.

I'd be fine if it was called anything but a Prince of Persia game but even then, its a heavily flawed yet interesting game. Like the original Mirrors Edge. That being said, I'd totally play this any day of week over that poor man's Prince of Persia in Forgotten Sands. I don't blame Ubisoft for keeping this series in bed because its clear they don't know how to bring it back. The sands of time were such a unique and interesting core of the game design that it's very difficult to try something different while staying true to the roots of the franchise.

Best wishes.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Forgotten Sands (the HD one not the Wii one) but it is the pinnicle of the series from a gameplay standpoint. Sadly it comes to a halt shortly after you master all the mechanics.

Still not got round to this. Recently blasted through the "original" (reboot) Prince of Persia and the 2nd, both of which still work great today on PC. Gonna go through that third one and the finally 08

Replaying the 3rd one right now and it holds up really well on PC. I recommend you use supersampling at 4k to really get the best out of it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah the fact that this didn't get a sequel is a real tragedy. Game was really great. Two of the great game trailers ever too.

Overrated.

The entire point of the game is to literally pick up hundreds of glowing dots.

No way to die, and the "tackle the areas in any order" meant they all had to be easy rather than ramping in difficulty.

The last level involved undoing everything you just spent doing, and the "true" ending is locked behind DLC.

I literally found myself daydreaming whilst playing it. I do the same whilst jogging or doing the washing up. That's what "entertainment" it's on par with.

No way to die might be the silliest complain I've ever seen in a game.

You lose, you just happen to be back into the game faster and not having to retreat to much back or having to sit and watch a loading screen.

How is that bad?

Indelible

I didn't get very far, the fact that you can't really die took any challenge or fun out of the gameplay. I actually think Forgotten Sands was a much better POP game with better mechanics.

It's the most beautiful game I've ever played and it has one of the greatest endings ever, but good lord is the game play awful. It's like an amalgamation of everything that's bad about Ubisoft game play mechanics.

Top Bottom