• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst (Head of Playstation Studios) :"We're commited to experimentation and to coming up with fresh ideas."

sublimit

Banned
"I think that the games that we make are as distinct and diverse as they can be," Hulst continues. "From Sackboy to Astro Bot to Dreams to these kind of games that you're referring to, like The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima. And you can bet that we will carry on making these games, because they are the heart and soul of what we do here at PlayStation studios. But at the same time, we are just as committed to making these quality experiences as we are to experimentation and to coming up with fresh ideas.

I think this was is a direct answer to all those who were saying crap like "Sony only cares for big AAA games" or that they don't want diversity in their Playstation studios.

Dope ass alliterative name.

-----------------------------

I hope to see Sony start experimenting more. As much shit as I've given Nintendo in my life, I can't argue that they haven't consistently come up with fresh and very unique ideas and will go against trends to try new things even to their detriment sometimes. I'd love to see Sony and MSFT start branching out from the normal to try and innovate more.

Morons who say Playstation doesn't do experimentation anymore must've forgotten the PS5 reveal stream with games like Heartbreak High, Stray and fucking Bugsnaxx.
None of those games are really experimental though, they've been around in some form or another either in the previous generation or on PC for a long time.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dope ass alliterative name.

-----------------------------

I hope to see Sony start experimenting more. As much shit as I've given Nintendo in my life, I can't argue that they haven't consistently come up with fresh and very unique ideas and will go against trends to try new things even to their detriment sometimes. I'd love to see Sony and MSFT start branching out from the normal to try and innovate more.

None of those games are really experimental though, they've been around in some form or another either in the previous generation or on PC for a long time.

Games have been around for a long time, and so have all the assorted genres and approaches. People were making arty indies in the early 80's!

Its nothing new, but its just rarely mentioned because the sad truth is that most media commentators (and worse a lot of recent indie-devs) are woefully uninformed about the history of the medium.

Too many people act like having fond early childhood memories of playing on their NES is enough to claim insight into the form, and its really not.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It’s Hulst. He’s not German
Yeah he is even worse then german.
Dutch person.

those people are insane.
dutch GIF

SilentUser

And that surprised no one with a sane mind. Sony are the master of triple A games right now and they will continue doing it, that's how they differentiate from the competition.
And they will continue to fund inovative, smaller games too, they always did it and it is great to see the head of Playstation Studios reassuring that.

SSfox

Yeah blablah, we'll see but for now i mean:

Jade Raymond game: Her only solid background is AC1(2007) because she was affiliated with this masterpiece done by Patrick Desilet , Heu... no comment

Also i don't care about Bungie stuffs, never cared about Halo or Destiny, and i don't care about the online fps looter they're working on.

I'm excited on what's coming next from Santa Monica, PoDi ect, but i don't care about those deals listed above, Bloodorne and Death Stranding, those were deals that i can call: DEALS.

Hermen Hulst is repeating on PS5 what Phil has done with Xbox One, and we all know how it ended with that latest console
1466366261-risitas51.png

Definitely not confident on the Hermen guy personally speaking
1466366261-risitas51.png

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah he is even worse then german.
Dutch person.

those people are insane.
dutch GIF
But those are only one in Europe who have my size of shoes on stock for normal prices. Also they invent trance music they are fine by me.

Dabaus

Banned
Playstation needs an In house Western RPG studio or 2. Money hatting Jrpgs is fine for now but id prefer if they had one of those in house as well.

Reactions: Isa

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Theres a studio called "Archetype Entertainment" thts composed old bioware devs focused on making story driven RPG's. I wonder if that would be another potential partnership for playstation? Thing is their parent company is Wizards of the coast so i wonder how that would affect things. Their website has some interesting concept art too.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
And that surprised no one with a sane mind. Sony are the master of triple A games right now and they will continue doing it, that's how they differentiate from the competition.
And they will continue to fund inovative, smaller games too, they always did it and it is great to see the head of Playstation Studios reassuring that.
Yet they chose to close Japan Studio, their most innovative studio of the bunch.

Although, I can't deny Sony has some of the best AAA games, but they certainly don't support innovation. Dreams, for example, has the potential to become the new Roblox, however they chose to not care about it and not support it properly enough.

SSfox

Yet they chose to close Japan Studio, their most innovative studio of the bunch.

Although, I can't deny Sony has some of the best AAA games, but they certainly don't support innovation. Dreams, for example, has the potential to become the new Roblox, however they chose to not care about it and not support it properly enough.
Yeah, their action are quite opposite on their saying.

SSfox

But the games they release are somehow opposite of what you're saying
They closed Japan studio that made some of the best games of the brand, Gravity Daze and Rush, TLG, Siren, and help with dev of Demon Souls and Bloodborne and cie, we still didn't hear anything from Hideo and rumours saying he's going with MS. They don't greenlight Days Gone 2 but greenlight a remake of TLOU1. Above all that the moron is releasing playstation games on PC. Hermen is basically Phil Spencer 2.0.

Last edited:

Nyxir

Morons who say Playstation doesn't do experimentation anymore must've forgotten the PS5 reveal stream with games like Heartbreak High, Stray and fucking Bugsnaxx.
No first party games. THAT is the point Mr. non moronic.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes sequel city and remasters is innovative I guess. Jim and his guys can't leave soon enough. Yes remaster of the last of us instead of a new IP yep innovative. Waste a top end studio on a God damn remaster of a ps3 game.

SSfox

That being said it's nice that they made a deal with Absobu, but it's no enough. They need to make deals with Japanese devs that goes beyond "Demo Exclusivity" thing or timed Exclusive stuffs. Sony need to build their own Japanese Studio, or acquire a talented Japanese studio (Platinium Games, Kojima Prod, Fromsoft)

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
That being said it's nice that they made a deal with Absobu, but it's no enough. They need to make deals with Japanese devs that goes beyond "Demo Exclusivity" thing or timed Exclusive stuffs. Sony need to build their own Japanese Studio, or acquire a talented Japanese studio (Platinium Games, Kojima Prod, Fromsoft)
The only reason they haven't done so yet is because they know they have the support of 99% of Japanese 3rd Party devs anyway. And Japanese publishers know that outside Japan most of their fans are on Playstation and PC (and on Nintendo too but Nintendo systems usually go alongside the other platforms).
Some of their games will be full exclusives on Playstation some timed exclusives but nevertheless they will all be on Playstation.

Still i do agree that they shouldn't have restructured/resized Japan Studio. Although if Team Asobi continuous to bring out quality and successful content i'm sure Sony will invest more on them and they will grow even bigger. I also expect to see new and unique games from them in the future other than Astrobot.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
With the restructuring of Sony Japan, it should mirror Nintendo with platforming games. A VR sequel (Astro Bot Rescue Mission is incredible) and a full blooded game using Astro's playroom template should be run by two separate teams, aiming to release each game in rotation.

Maybe set up an additional team to make small free to play games such as Astro's Golf, Tennis, Soccer, racing, etc. that allow offline and online play where you can earn credits to get outfits like Aloy/Kratos or you can buy them. Using this foundation you can introduce new characters to build them up for spin offs so Astro doesn't become stale.

Ensure there is enough external support for Japanese third parties to keep the close relationships. Work with the likes of Capcom, Konami (if they pull the finger out), Square Enix, Platinumgames, From Software, Sega/Atlus to bring their next gen games to PS5 at least at the same time as other consoles.

No pressure Jim, you big bollix. 😂

SilentUser

Lets see: Dreams, Concrete Genie, Astrobot, Tearaway are all smaller titles released last gen with innovative ideas made by Sony. Heck, could add Last Guardian, RIGS, Destruction Allstars, Returnal and others with that in commom.

They were funded and published by Sony, the same publisher who do release AAA games. My point stands, they do create innovative games while releasing big titles. And I'm not saying Sony is the most creative publisher around (they aren't), I'm just saying that along with their bigger titles there are smaller ones with some new ideas.

Btw, loved your avatar and nickname lol no joke here

Last edited:

Unknown?

They closed Japan studio that made some of the best games of the brand, Gravity Daze and Rush, TLG, Siren, and help with dev of Demon Souls and Bloodborne and cie, we still didn't hear anything from Hideo and rumours saying he's going with MS. They don't greenlight Days Gone 2 but greenlight a remake of TLOU1. Above all that the moron is releasing playstation games on PC. Hermen is basically Phil Spencer 2.0.
Time to give it up. Your narrative doesn't even fool the fools anymore.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Studio Japan has not been closed, they just reorganized it around Team Asobi and let their options on a lot of long-time staff members' annual contracts lapse.

Sony also run Polyphony, which is rumoured to be expanding out from beyond GT for the first time in over 20 years.

Sony Music Entertainment owns Aniplex, which handles the ridiculously successful Fate/Grand Order franchise on mobile amongst others. This is of course on top of its core Anime business and alliance with Funimation.

So to say that Sony isn't heavily invested in Japanese dev, is simply untrue.

kyoji

Yes sequel city and remasters is innovative I guess. Jim and his guys can't leave soon enough. Yes remaster of the last of us instead of a new IP yep innovative. Waste a top end studio on a God damn remaster of a ps3 game.
please oh wise one give us a comparative of other first party console maker taking risk. In Fact plesse even show me a first party game release in last 8+ months. did you copy and paste all that from twitter? lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom