• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Pastry

Banned
Okay, just made up for it in a different match by using Typhoon to pull four dudes CLOSER to my witch and a corpse and blowing them all up.

SO SWEET.

:p That was a pretty good move.

About your tribe question their armor gives them the ability to reflect damage back to the attacker. I'm not sure how much, but the Elves life leach counteracts it so they won't take any damage.

Tangeroo

Whoa, this thread is very much alive and kicking!

I'm digging the Tribes although I'm sticking to Random select because I think it's important to figure out strategies to defeat them. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but the Tribes' spiked armor doesn't appear to do any damage to Elves which is a huge detriment.

Otherwise, it seems like the Tribes are the strongest overall team because they have so many ways to disrupt formations and so many attack boosters that your buffed troops are rarely, if ever, truly safe. As I have far too much respect for all of the players here, I'll refrain from posting my personal strategies although many of you can already tell what my general style is like. :p

EDIT: Just read Pastry's post. That makes complete sense and I never thought about that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What happened to our game Astrolad?

Yeah sorry I've been getting wrecked at this game so taking advantage of forfeit ability. I really need to read the guide again seems like every game someone has some ability I didn't remember/know about. Gotta get my act together.

Sotha Sil

Yeah sorry I've been getting wrecked at this game so taking advantage of forfeit ability. I really need to read the guide again seems like every game someone has some ability I didn't remember/know about. Gotta get my act together.

A Council vs. Council game might be the best way to learn at first. They're a strong, solid team with very few "tricks", apart from the Ninja teleport. Up for a rematch if you feel like it.

Sotha Sil

Is there somewhere that lists how many classes, shields, swords, etc each team gets?

Here you go!

Council

Cleric 3
Knight 3
Mage 3
Archer 3
Ninja 1
Shield 3
Sword 3
Helmet 3
Potion 2
Scroll 2
Inferno 2

Dark Elf

Priestess 3
Monk 3
Necro 3
Impaler 3
Wraith 1
Soulstone 3
Sword 3
Helmet 3
Potion 2
Scroll 2
Soul Harvest 2

Dwarves

Paladin 3
Engineer 3
Grenadier 3
Gunner 3
Annihilator 1
Shield 3
Sword 3
Helmet 3
Beer 2
Scroll 2
Pulverizer 2

Tribe

3 Warrior
3 Axe Thrower
3 Witch
3 Shaman
2 Chieftain
3 Runemetal
4 Spike Armor
3 Typhoon
4 Haunch of Meat

Here you go!

Council

Cleric 3
Knight 3
Mage 3
Archer 3
Ninja 1
Shield 3
Sword 3
Helmet 3
Potion 2
Scroll 2
Inferno 2

Dark Elf

Priestess 3
Monk 3
Necro 3
Impaler 3
Wraith 1
Soulstone 3
Sword 3
Helmet 3
Potion 2
Scroll 2
Soul Harvest 2

Dwarves

Paladin 3
Engineer 3
Grenadier 3
Gunner 3
Annihilator 1
Shield 3
Sword 3
Helmet 3
Beer 2
Scroll 2
Pulverizer 2

Tribe

3 Warrior
3 Axe Thrower
3 Witch
3 Shaman
2 Chieftain
3 Runemetal
4 Spike Armor
3 Typhoon
4 Haunch of Meat

Bless you!

Sotha Sil

Damnit, and I've been guestimating this whole time. At least we know how Sotha manages to win :p

Tssk, I just found this list on the HA forum; figured it would be helpful to post it here. I had the items memorized by the end of the first day. Amateurs ;)

Shaneus

They need to add a menu to show which have been used.
For your items or your opposition's? If the latter, I think we had a chat about it a while back... I remember noticing a few people thought that it kind of cheapens it, whereas now it's he who can count cards the best.

Too see what you have used or your opponent? I can understand you seeing your own, but your Seeing your opponent's used items would be cheap.
Given the pace of the game there's no reason not to see what's been used on both sides, as anyone with the inclination could just write down the information as they see it played.

Given the pace of the game there's no reason not to see what's been used on both sides, as anyone with the inclination could just write down the information as they see it played.

I don't necessarily agree it would make the game better by being able to see pieces used, because one of the best strategies I've seen so far is too wait out your opponent.

Shaneus

Yeah, it takes away an element of strategy that's completely outside of the app. You introduce that, you're taking away from the people who put in the effort to bookkeep and track certain levels of the game to improve their own strategy. Also, there's nothing like unleashing a scroll when you're opponent thinks you've used both of them. No fun if you know every person you play with knows exactly what you've used.

Yeah, it takes away an element of strategy that's completely outside of the app. You introduce that, you're taking away from the people who put in the effort to bookkeep and track certain levels of the game to improve their own strategy. Also, there's nothing like unleashing a scroll when you're opponent thinks you've used both of them. No fun if you know every person you play with knows exactly what you've used.

Agreed!

Shaneus

Welcome to the club! But it is good though, because playing him forces you to think a few moves ahead on multiple tangents.

Ryan_

Is there a site with tips or some strategies?
I'm getting absolutely destroyed by my friend since I'm normally pretty good at strategy games.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Hey guys I'm on the list but just got back into the game with the tribes expansion, hit me up my in game tag is Mrninjaman I'm usually on pretty regularly through out the day, not terrible at the game but by no means an expert.

Also I am having a hell of a time getting much success out of the Tribe anyone else having good luck with them? With the other 3 factions it has always seemed like the key is protecting your offensive beasts (ninja/archer, wraith/necro, gunner/annihilator) but with the tribe I just can't seem to get a feel for dealing out the hurt, although typhoon is amazing!

cheers all looking forward to some gaf games

Pastry

Banned
I really wish that Hero Academy had a league or rankings or something. I would definitely play more random games if I could play ranked versus unranked. That's one cool thing about Outwitters, that new asynchronous game coming out this summer, it will have several different leagues. You win enough and you get bumped up to a higher league and if you keep losing you can get bumped down to a lower league.

Don't think I've played any Gaffers yet - just the same randoms that keep rematching me. If you're looking for new matches add me:

Fong Ghoul

Jako

I really wish that Hero Academy had a league or rankings or something. I would definitely play more random games if I could play ranked versus unranked. That's one cool thing about Outwitters, that new asynchronous game coming out this summer, will have several different leagues. You win enough and you get bumped up to a higher league and if you keep losing you can get bumped down to a lower league.

I feel the same way, but I'm still enjoying gaf games a lot.

Outwitters looks pretty awesome, thanks for letting me know it exists!

See you in game

I really wish that Hero Academy had a league or rankings or something. I would definitely play more random games if I could play ranked versus unranked. That's one cool thing about Outwitters, that new asynchronous game coming out this summer, it will have several different leagues. You win enough and you get bumped up to a higher league and if you keep losing you can get bumped down to a lower league.

I agree that would be rad, maybe they are already moving that direction.
oh and Outlanders looks awesome!

Sotha Sil

A league system would be great. There is a unofficial league over at Robot Entertainment Fans, actually, but it's a tad complicated and I don't really know how it works yet.

As for Gafers hungry for quality (and quick) matches, I would recommend challenging the Hero Academy official forum's crowd. A word of warning, though: most of them are brutal. Brutal. Makes for good practice, though!

Is there any way to "keep the game open" in the background? The main reason I don't play more is the terrible load time to launch the app, authenticate and get to my turn.

I realize this is a first-world-problem but it's annoying.

Edit: iPhone 4 and new iPad.

Pastry

Banned
Is there any way to "keep the game open" in the background? The main reason I don't play more is the terrible load time to launch the app, authenticate and get to my turn.

I realize this is a first-world-problem but it's annoying.

Edit: iPhone 4 and new iPad.

The load time was much better before the recent update. Their Twitter mentioned they are looking into the loading problem.

Pastry

Banned
So now that the Tribe has been out for a while what are your favorite teams? I think mine are:

1. Dwarves
2. Tribe
3. Elves
4. Council

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Depends Favorite to use would be
1. Tribe
2. Council (I love ninja hit n runs)
3. Dwarves
4. Elves

Strongest Teams I would say (at least imo)
1. Elves
2. Dwarves
3. Council
4. Tribe

Pastry

Banned
Depends Favorite to use would be
1. Tribe
2. Council (I love ninja hit n runs)
3. Dwarves
4. Elves

Strongest Teams I would say (at least imo)
1. Elves
2. Dwarves
3. Council
4. Tribe

Haha yeah my favorites aren't my strongest teams. I'm probably best with the Council and Elves but they are my two least favorite teams.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Ya elves are just brutal and I played them a ton before I stopped playing the first time, that necro is nuts and so is the wraith if you get him buffed. for me council and Dwarves are really close in terms of fun and strength the dwarf AoE is just insane that shotgun just melts faces

Also great game Pastry nice to play a GAFer finally

CzarTim

1. Elves
2. Council
3. Dwarves
4. Tribe

Love Elves due to health regen when doing, crazy spear DPS (and pull), and awesome hero character that, when used correctly, can completely shut down the opponent.

Council has archer and ninja. Soldier can be a great annoyance at times.

Sotha Sil

Elves are clearly my favorite team, but I still think the Council is the strongest. It got it all: amazing damage dealers, remote stomp, rez items, strong tanks, chain damage... I could go on. I don't play them much though. I get too comfortable. Like the DE's quirkiness.

Top Bottom