• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Aw shucks, you guys are way too nice.
You're probably the best player on GAF. I don't think I've beaten you once.
KuGsj.gif

EDIT: Sea_Kid is also up there.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Never played with him! Who else are the regulars I might not have games with? Seems like the old regs have checked out. I'm desperate for new matches. Even started randoms! Halp!

GAFers I've played the most games with:

Keeb
Anilones
Titanonearth
Smiley90
sothaSil
KidInsomnia (You)
CzarTim
Sea_Kid

Is the single player mode decent?

It's just a challenge mode really. More like a puzzle mode. They give you a pre-defined scenario and you have to figure out how to kill the other team in 5 turns. Some of them are surprisingly difficult. I like it. Would be amazing if they could add user created challenges.

We've all agreed to let losers rematch right? I turned down powerspheres and then he turned down mine.

:(
Damn it! I wish they fixed this. I'll take note, losers rematch.

Seems to load up a tiny bit quicker, which is good but could still be much better, but not having a good leaderboard, permanent list of opponents or game centre really sucks and stops me from playing it as much.

Damn it! I wish they fixed this. I'll take note, losers rematch.

Seems to load up a tiny bit quicker, which is good but could still be much better, but not having a good leaderboard, permanent list of opponents or game centre really sucks and stops me from playing it as much.

I can send you another invite. :)

EDIT: Never mind, accepted yours!

Naka

You're probably the best player on GAF. I don't think I've beaten you once.
KuGsj.gif

EDIT: Sea_Kid is also up there.

Yeah Sotha has always been my toughest challenge as well as Tangerous. I think Tangerous has stopped playing though as I havent seen a game from him in a while.

What strats are you guys using the the TF2 team? They are a little overwhelming with the shear amount of units they have.

Sotha Sil

What strats are you guys using the the TF2 team? They are a little overwhelming with the shear amount of units they have.

I'm trying a bazillion different things, but yeah "overwhelming" sums it up nicely. Way too many units, but it goes with the territory. So far, I like the spy and demoman the most.

Naka

Is anyone else having push notification issues on iOS? I haven't gotten any for hours and when I login to the game I had 5 games waiting for me.

I'm trying a bazillion different things, but yeah "overwhelming" sums it up nicely. Way too many units, but it goes with the territory. So far, I like the spy and demoman the most.

Is the demoman the AoE grenader? If so he seems pretty powerful so far. Are you going to start another game with me? I'm down for a TF vs TF challenge (before you master them and destroy me on a regular basis).

Sotha Sil

Is anyone else having push notification issues on iOS? I haven't gotten any for hours and when I login to the game I had 5 games waiting for me.

Is the demoman the AoE grenader? If so he seems pretty powerful so far. Are you going to start another game with me? I'm down for a TF vs TF challenge (before you master them and destroy me on a regular basis).

Yeah, the AoE guy. Starting a game with you :)

Naka

Yeah I'm finally getting notifications this morning.

Sotha did you change your TF team's hats in the game or am I seeing things? How do you do that?

lolll I just had Swiftsketcher (I think he's from here? I've been pulling from a lot of pools, gamewise past few days) use a scroll on me with an archer but at melee range and the attack was labelled "WASTED SCROLL".

The archer's usual scroll attack isn't called that, right?

Naka

lolll I just had Swiftsketcher (I think he's from here? I've been pulling from a lot of pools, gamewise past few days) use a scroll on me with an archer but at melee range and the attack was labelled "WASTED SCROLL".

Haha that is hilarious! The attack for the archer when powered up is called "Power Shot!"

LOL so you're kid insomniac haha. Yeah I saw that and was like "wait a minute.. wat"

This is my first fight against a TF team, dont know what to expect, but hopefully I won't be wasting anymore scrolls :p

Haha that is hilarious! The attack for the archer when powered up is called "Power Shot!"

I thought so!!

LOL so you're kid insomniac haha. Yeah I saw that and was like "wait a minute.. wat"

This is my first fight against a TF team, dont know what to expect, but hopefully I won't be wasting anymore scrolls :p

You're doing well! I'm pretty new at using them so I don't know what to expect either. I think across a few matches I've repeatedly forgot to use the Respawn Disc.

On TF, who has the doves fly out and under what circumstances? I'm guessing it's the Medic but I don't think it's when he's upgraded. Maybe his scroll attack? Does he get scroll attacks?

I remember seeing doves once, damn it, I KNOW I HAVE!!

Naka

The map with the portal squares and single sword in the middle is pretty awesome if you are TF. If you can have the Heavy hold the sword square they are fairly hard to stop.

On TF, who has the doves fly out and under what circumstances? I'm guessing it's the Medic but I don't think it's when he's upgraded. Maybe his scroll attack? Does he get scroll attacks?

I remember seeing doves once, damn it, I KNOW I HAVE!!
I saw the doves fly out of the Medic when I did a taunt.

Javaman

It's just a challenge mode really. More like a puzzle mode. They give you a pre-defined scenario and you have to figure out how to kill the other team in 5 turns. Some of them are surprisingly difficult. I like it. Would be amazing if they could add user created challenges.
Thanks for the info. I think ill pass for now. Add some AI players pretty please!

Sotha Sil

Man, HA Steam is absolutely killing my productivity. I really need to shut Steam off when I'm working.

Ah, what the hell, feel free to add me if you haven't alreay: sothaSil

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Note to anyone sending me game invites (like Anilones), I won't be playing anyone new until I'm able to play as the TF2 team. Devs on Twitter says they haven't been able to replicate the problem I'm having, so it might be some time.
LLShC.gif

Naka

Have any of you ever beaten sothaSil? I'm not even really competitive and I probably win half of my other games.

I've probably played him about 15 times or so and I've only beat him twice. He is definitely a very strong player. I'd say overall I'm a fairly average player. I play with 3 coworkers fairly regularly and it seems we all go back and forth with wins and losses. The hand you are dealt is a huge factor in how well you can do though.

I really enjoy playing sothaSil though as I feel like it helps me learn things I didn't know or think of before and overall makes me a better player. I never beat Tangerous from GAF, but I think he may have stopped playing.

Sotha Sil

I'm an avid TRPG/turn-based strategy fan, so that might explain it. Though I can assure you several players from the official HA forums are better than me. I'm talking "calculator, pen and paper" players, though; keeping tracks of items, calculating the damage before each and every move... I would never take the game this seriously.

Naka

I'm an avid TRPG/turn-based strategy fan, so that might explain it. Though I can assure you several players from the official HA forums are better than me. I'm talking "calculator, pen and paper" players, though; keeping tracks of items, calculating the damage before each and every move... I would never take the game this seriously.

Yeah that's a lot of work. There are a few times where I may calculate how much damage will be done against me when I know a move I make will get me attacked, but its pretty few and far between.

The calculator stuff is ridiculous. Almost makes me wish there were some attacks that couldn't be predicted exactly. Throw some timing based maneuvers in there like Mario RPG or active reload or at least some kind of random element.

Top Bottom