• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

bzm

Teknopathetic said:
Be honest, bzm. How many times in the past have you used Litestep and various faux docks for your desktop?
tbh i dont even know what that is, i dont good with computer

PasteyMF

Ultimoo said:
missing inhouse drama?

missing thor and puppet yelling at people?

I am sad. :(
That's like, Wednesday night.

Meeru, I see you on Reddit and your balls are showing.

There's going to be a HoN tournament in AZ October 7th - October 9th. http://www.devastationevent.com/
Anybody interested in going or playing in the tourney? I live in AZ, so it's a nice stroll downtown to go watch some peeps play. I'll at least go to watch some games. I'm pretty big into fighting games too, so for me, it'll be "hype" as they say.

bzm

PasteyMF said:
That's like, Wednesday night.

Meeru, I see you on Reddit and your balls are showing.

There's going to be a HoN tournament in AZ October 7th - October 9th. http://www.devastationevent.com/
Anybody interested in going or playing in the tourney? I live in AZ, so it's a nice stroll downtown to go watch some peeps play. I'll at least go to watch some games. I'm pretty big into fighting games too, so for me, it'll be "hype" as they say.
can you play in it without going to arizona?
loki/kag/alum/freakin y'all down?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Some people rage more than others, and you just gotta know those people and know not to take them seriously when they are upset. Everyone feels bad when they get talked down, whether they admit it or not; it's just you gotta learn to cool off after a good hour or so and tell yourself, "Whatever."

PasteyMF

bzm said:
can you play in it without going to arizona?
loki/kag/alum/freakin y'all down?
Not sure yet. They haven't announced the rules or format, or even updated the roster of games to show HoN instead of SC2.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't have a car.

How is that fair at all.

Goddamn.

Dreavus

I been playing a few 3v3's in MM with a few friends lately and it's actually really fun. Games are done in 20 mins and it feels a lot faster paced; laning doesn't last nearly as long and the teamfights start way faster, which can make it a lot more exciting. The only thing that sucks about it is that since the game is balanced around 5v5 in all aspects, it makes some heroes way better (succubus, or anyone with really good disables) and others way worse (most carries, who don't have time to get any items generally speaking). I thought it'd be terrible for junglers too, but I don't really know yet... we played against a legionnaire who was jungling a bit on the other team and it was really hard to know which side he'd come out on to gank us, and it was still pretty effective. But I can see the hardcore jungle heroes like Wildsoul having nowhere to go and just falling behind.

The other thing that can kinda suck is the huge momentum swings in the "mid game", where one team gets a timely genocide and can almost rax the other team right away. I guess that comes with the territory of having less players/smaller map though. Helps games finish up quicker, that's for sure.

What do you guys think of the map? I've only played all-pick so far in 3v3, since we turn nearly every option on to decrease our wait time... but I imagine the banning modes would take care of the really good disablers who break the format. It's certainly fun to play with only a few friends online.

kagete

Guesong said:
Well guys, it's been fun.

I'll still hop in for the occasional in-house from times to times, but I'll step aside for now so that some of you gentlemen can play with people you appreciate more.

I still reinterate that the in-houses are definitively the best way to learn the game ; but as tonight depicted, it doesn't save you from the harshness of the community and I've no shame to admit that my eyes are watery right now after tonight games. Some people can take it, some people can't, and I belong to the latter group.

It's like some people forgot that they were once bad at this game and thus expect everyone to keep up to snuff, and let's bully them and rage when they don't.

EDIT : Congrats Swag, now that I think of it, you did call the Guesong Rage. Not that I'd call it a rage, but you did see it coming. :)

Aww I apologize for my brother (yes I know) but he is really too hardcore for most people. He only started playing in IHs this week and is still in a hardcore mode with a messiah complex to boot even though he's not pubbing or TMMing. I'd suggest avoiding grouping with Thor for a while :| Loki is fine though since he's more familiar with hongaf.

We can still non-salty TMM and the like if you don't feel like IH-ing on other nights.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
If it makes you feel better Guesong, Thor has yelled at me in TMM. He's very critical, sometimes you just have to not-so-nicely express that you're doing your best and to fuck off.

PS:

R_WhenItRains.jpg

Meeru

Banned
kagete said:
Aww I apologize for my brother (yes I know) but he is really too hardcore for most people. He only started playing in IHs this week and is still in a hardcore mode with a messiah complex to boot even though he's not pubbing or TMMing. I'd suggest avoiding grouping with Thor for a while :| Loki is fine though since he's more familiar with hongaf.

We can still non-salty TMM and the like if you don't feel like IH-ing on other nights.
Did you sign up for the free chickfila breakfast giveaway next week? I did.

Phandy

Hey Guesong, I think I had a little go at you at one point about something. Which I'm sorry about, but if it makes you feel better - I didn't even know you were new!

But I honestly wouldnt stop playing because of it. You will learn very quickly playing IH games For as much as it all seems laid back - the standard of play is decent, and the rage is NOTHING compared to public games.
You slowly get used to the rage and after long what makes it ok is that you'll find other people making rage worthy mistakes, so you get to rage about them instead. You give/take it.

Like last night where I threw a game because I miss clicked my Behemoth ulti in spawn. We might of had a turn around if that hadnt happened :( Goddamn I felt like a tool.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good on you, Guesong. I kind of decided I'd distance myself after witnessing TUSR cuss out poor Scythian, who was on this 4th or so game, while playing IH. A lot were being nice to him, and helping him out, but there were three kinds of messages in chat for him: parsed game info, which he didn't understand, helpful stuff, which he tried to take to heart, and jokes about how bad he was. Guess no matter what, pros and new players won't really match when the attitude is still kill or be killed, and trolling makes you all the more popular and memorable.

If DOTA2 doesn't have some kind of option to completely separate Pro "I'm a douche in-game" Van Pro and Hank "I like to build dispensers and see myself taunt in third person in TF2" McNice, then I'll probably end up skipping that too. For some people, nothing is on the line here, and video games are just a way to waste time.

Anyway, have fun, man.

Sanjay

dorkimoe said:
ya, people play games to relax and have fun, when other people turn it into name calling and just rage its no fun anymore

Im glad people are helping me, i didnt notice any rage or yelling tonight,i died alot and nobody got mad, they helped explain what killed me. At least Haly or whatever his name was. So i still plan on playing with everyone, until they start yelling at me lol

Gaf generally does not spout spiteful name calling if you feed/die loads, but if you mess up on a technical level where not using skills that lead to your teammates death, they get mad. But this is followed up with an explanation through be it with yells of tears but non the less an explanation is given and is still something to learn from.

Teknopathetic said:
Guesong Guesong Guesong, you take it all way too hard. I wasn't there, I dunno what was said and someone quite possibly might've been way out of line (It happens a lot, even in IHs when sometimes the more experienced players expect you to play like a 1900+ MMR player), but still. You shouldn't take it that personally. If need be, just tell them you made a "mistake" and to fuck off.

He would not repel his teammate after slither used skill 1 on him or something. Thor was yelling repel me, repel but it was not said in a spiteful way at all but more tears of agony on his part.

Guesong said:
Yes Puppet. Now let me put it this way ; did you thoroughly enjoy people harping on you when you lost mid against Kagete with Maliken?

Good one Guesong.

But one thing I can say about you Guesong, you do not like being told what to do or listen to helpful instructions. Once you get past that barrier you should be fine. MrMister also has this disability. You don't want to be stuck with him do you?

azuki said:
sigh puppet

It was not even Puppet who said anything, he does not even talk on mumble.

Teknopathetic said:
Well yes, that would be the ideal solution, but short of everyone taking a hard line "0 rage or else you don't get invited to in-houses anymore" stance, it's not going to happen.

I have never seen some one not get invited to a inhouse game except when MrMister refused to play with Conceptor for disconnecting and kicking him and the other was MrMister disconnecting from a game ragequitting a in-house.

And why would you want to take away human emotions from a inhouse, best parts of the game are from funny raging moments. Fun rage is best rage.

Conceptor said:
Hey Guesong, if you ever feel like playing, just let me know. I've been playing TMM games with some green friends looking to get into/familiar with the genre so games have been pretty laid back and enjoyable and there's always space. It's all about getting better, anyhow!

Don't you boss people around, he can do what ever he wants to do.

Halycon said:
Playing high responsibility heroes will also increase the chances that people will rage at you.

Heroes like Tempest or Jere where everyone relies on you doing your thing properly should be avoided until your battle analysis becomes faster. Exactly when I cannot say, it's more of a gradual process than any kind of clear milestone.

He was Jeraziah.

Phandy said:
Like last night where I threw a game because I miss clicked my Behemoth ulti in spawn. We might of had a turn around if that hadnt happened :( Goddamn I felt like a tool.

And we all laughed, even though it would have won us that team fight we still laughed. IH games are for fun and that game was spoiled by puppetuber losing mid to Kagete's cheap Fayde which got so fat, kept on killing me for revenge for rune trolling him the game before as Nighthound.

Lyphen said:
Good on you, Guesong. I kind of decided I'd distance myself after witnessing TUSR cuss out poor Scythian, who was on this 4th or so game, while playing IH. A lot were being nice to him, and helping him out, but there were three kinds of messages in chat for him: parsed game info, which he didn't understand, helpful stuff, which he tried to take to heart, and jokes about how bad he was. Guess no matter what, pros and new players won't really match when the attitude is still kill or be killed, and trolling makes you all the more popular and memorable.

With Scythian its lack of feedback but he's definitely gotten better with his Glacius.

Sebulon3k said:

Stop promoting your own mixes.

@ 2:24 best piano riff everrr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk5L47cst08&list=FLcpu0nbmZKKkDMHpPldiAEw&index=16&feature=plpp

TUSR

Banned
Lyphen said:

If DOTA2 doesn't have some kind of option to completely separate Pro "I'm a douche in-game" Van Pro and Hank "I like to build dispensers and see myself taunt in third person in TF2" McNice, then I'll probably end up skipping that too. For some people, nothing is on the line here, and video games are just a way to waste time.

Anyway, have fun, man.
The guy wouldn't acknowledge we were talking to him 90% of the time, I hardly would say I was cussing him out.

Originally I was going to give him help, but the guy straight up would not respond to me.

And I would still like to help him, but if he messages me back I would love to apologize. I learned to play through MM games and had to take the shit from countless people and im sorry if I was deflecting that onto someone else.

I typically play support heroes, and I know Scythian is starting on those type of heroes and will probably play them for a while. He got frustrated at us and the game, and I just got frustrated at the lack of response from him.

Short version: Sorry Scythian, just wanted to help and got frustrated.

PS: He actually killed me.

kagete

Guesong, this week saw a lot of new players join the IH who never really had before:

TUSR - just recently joined 2-3 nights in a row, and he's really good and probably didn't tone down his game for IH's
Thor/QQ - just got back from a 2 month vacation, and never played in a GAF IH before this week, totally hardcore
Phandy - wears an Adidas track suit just for HON, and is really good too, so he wasn't pulling punches his first few games with us. (I kid)
PuppetYuber - his internet died for a week or so, and then nvidia 280.26 killed his PC, so he had to wait and get a new one. His ISP still sucks though. I hope you don't get the wrong impression about how we treat PuppetYuber. He's a tryhard, yes, but we've been playing with him a lot. When I won mid against him, that was probably the first time I ever did better than him in a game, so I made sure to milk it for all it was worth. I don't hold any animosity towards Puppet, just a friendly competition of sorts since we were on the same IHL team for a month and he's one of the more colorful characters in hongaf.

Please, don't hesitate to speak up. I still recall that game where Loki kept harping on Tomat and he spoke up to tell him what was on his mind. You don't have to talk on mumble, you can type it in or whisper another player as well. The veteran players will always have different expectations for a game from others initially, so please kindly tell them if you just want to try a new hero or just get some experience under your belt.

I'll gladly TMM with you if you're more comfortable playing outside the IHs for a while. If you're not having fun there's no use forcing it until you're comfortable with the other people you play with.

Meteorain

It seems that whenever I am not playing in any IHs that shit seems to hit the fan. Bad stuff never happens when I'm there :(

Puppetyuber disconnecting every 2 seconds like a noob doesn't count.

Guesong

Sanjay said:
Good one Guesong.

But one thing I can say about you Guesong, you do not like being told what to do or listen to helpful instructions. Once you get past that barrier you should be fine. MrMister also has this disability. You don't want to be stuck with him do you?

It was not even Puppet who said anything, he does not even talk on mumble.

For the record, Puppet was talking in-team chat ; since I believe you were on the opposing team, you couldn't see it.

And where did you ever get the perception I won't do as I'm told? Thor asks me to repel him when he gets poisoned ; okay. I do. "No why did you repel me!?". The fuck. Okay so I guess it's not everyti- "GUESONG WHY DID YOU NOT REPEL ME. QQQQQQQQQQQQ **** THIS LANE".

Or perhaps are you referring to when Puppet brilliantly use his communications skills to explicitly states what he wants BEFORE proceding to harp on you? Because he doesn't. Or didn't in this case. He can chat pre-game alright, asking to swap me out of his team "for a Warder". I didn't take too keenly to that either.

I can ward. Anytime. In fact, the next time I'll get a support hero, you will see nothing but wards coming out of my pocket. So when I don't ward, is it because I won't do as I'm ordered, like a good dog? That's if I even get ordered, mind you ; most other times nobody says anything and we just lose, so it's not like I got much "helpful instructions" anyhow.

Or - consider this ridiculous hypothesis - it's because there are heroes on my team that are supportives heroes, more designed to get wards for other carries and tanks heroes, that decide to go some weird carry Accursed random build (btw that doesnt work)? Is it not a team game? Then why does "the Warder" have to be associated with the individual, and not the hero he plays? I want to learn to carry - oh wait, nope, all my money must go into wards, or to die in teamfights when I'm Emerald Warden kiting Predator for a good 10-15 seconds (that's 5 minutes after teamchat said "We can kill Predator, we just have to kite him" --- see I do listen!) while Pillow is at the toplane, farming gold, and thus I die. Well, so much for following the plan like I was told.

Speaking of which, perhaps you believe I don't listen because there's some teamfight going on and I'm somewhere, trying to farm up some gold because I need better items ASAP elsewise I'm kind of useless since I'm behind the curve? Pillow does it. Puppet does it. Bokr does it. Hell you did it all the time yesterday. Ditching teamfights to go farm and to hell if we lose it. But when me, or dorkimoe, or whoever else try to do the exact same thing we are sighed at?

Actually here's an idea for once ; why don't the regulars step back from their eternal carries and gankers choices, go support roles, and let the newer people try to carry?

Give me helpful instructions, like "Charge CD now Rampage!" (a good game, that was ; Thor or Loki harping on me for not doing it while I said at least 3 times to call it out in Mumble if he wanted a charge. He was mighty silent all the while!), and I will follow, and laugh when death ensues. But that seldom ever happens.

TUSR

Banned
I must have missed some awful games last night. Woke up to this thread being all dramatic and shit.

azuki said:
Man if hon is like this I can't imagine how dota2 will be like

DOTA2 if you are nice and help the community you get rewarded right?

TUSR

Banned
Meeru said:
I actually like that idea what Guesong said. Let the pros play support, let the newer players carry.
I wouldn't consider myself a pro, but all I do is support. does that mean I should carry? (role reversal)

Meeru

Banned
Squire Felix said:
I wouldn't consider myself a pro, but all I do is support. does that mean I should carry? (role reversal)
Yeah.

All the players who play carry, go support. The only problem are people who can do both very well, like Kagete I heard he's been carrying!

bzm

Meeru said:
I actually like that idea what Guesong said. Let the pros play support, let the newer players carry.
Kag like always plays support, loki does it on occasion, delirium doesnt do anything but (wheres he been anyway?)

And regarding the thor qqing over the repel thing. Against, what was it, pillow and swag? shit like that will cost you the lane. Playing flint in a losing lane is one of the most frustrating/least fun things in the game

TUSR

Banned
Meeru said:
Yeah.

All the players who play carry, go support. The only problem are people who can do both very well, like Kagete I heard he's been carrying!
I do like that idea, would definitely up my confidence in MM games if I was to play some carries IH.

I hardly ever mid because I know im a much stronger side laner.

If you want to get some serious laughs, let me play Devo. I have never played him.

kagete

:(

Puppet is incompatible with new players, and so is Thor. Their expectations for their teammates are very high, and they have trouble toning it down.

Playing "ward bitch" is also not recommended for new players, it is counter intuitive to what many consider the basic elements that make the game fun like farming for items and getting kills. Don't take it the wrong way Guesong, but it's really an advanced role and people don't want to force others into it since they know it takes a different mindset. gdeceiver and Haly are great warders for example, and they don't let it get to them even though they end 30-45 minute games with barely enough items (upgraded boots plus one support item). I think Puppet meant that he wanted at least one team to have a dedicated guy for that role, since it makes it easier for everyone else and lessens the expectations on the other guys to pitch in.

It's a really fine line with asking people to play out of their comfort zones too. Anbokr likes to farm and I doubt that he'll have fun just warding and upgrading the courier in a game. Most veterans will feel that they've "earned" their position to carry or give orders. Is it fair? In a vacuum it isn't, but the baseline for entry into this genre is pretty high so we all end up being a little hardcore ourselves once we start playing and understanding the metagame.

Also, don't think that we're okay with Sanjay doing what he does in some games :| we definitely make sure that he knows it when he is throwing. Thankfully, Sanjay takes it all on the chin and is generally pleasant with the ribbing.

Thank you for speaking up though. It's good that people get called out, so that their maturity can be questioned. You're not in any way forced to join or play with other GAF players, but I hope you believe me when I say that a lot of us welcome you and appreciate the fact that you willingly suffer through playing with us.

I used to be an epic tryhard, and really HATED playing with Sanjay last year, but I just reexamined my priorities and decided to be more mature about playing with them and actually got to know him better so that my expectations and style of play would match his, and this resulted in more fun and less stress.

Phandy

kagete said:
Phandy - wears an Adidas track suit just for HON, and is really good too, so he wasn't pulling punches his first few games with us. (I kid)

After watching Sanjay embarrass himself with some wacky hero choices and some feeding (trollface.jpg), I had to step up and represent Brit-Hon-GAF with some tryhard plays.
I'm not that good all the time :S (see my Legionnaire games of a 0-10-2 or whatever it was.)

But seriously, Guesong - you make a lot of good points. Most of them probably correct - I'm not saying its right - but thats just the way it is. Pro/high level players tend to want to make decisions and run things a little.
You get used to it and slowly learn how to do stuff. Just admit mistakes and dont do it again. Or just ignore them if you think they are calling bullshit.

Also, theres a reason good players tend to play the carrys. Because generally they are harder to play (atleast it used to be like that, thanks S2) - and your team needs to take advantage of the carrys. A support character cant solo a whole team (maybe?) - a good carry could.
Its not right, but for me atleast - Id rather have someone I know who is good play the carry. So they can pull it off and see the team to victory.

Also goodcall on going into the forest during some teamfights for farm - you just have to make the perfect decisions for this. I think its reeaallly bad teamplay where people insist that the support hero should have 0gpm and just ward. You just have to be careful/good at this. Dont get caught out doing it at reaallly bad times, you gotta make a good judgement.

tl/dr - dont get discouraged - its a supremely rewarding game when you get used to it. Also people are assholes, and they're just people talking over the internet in the end - who gives a shit. Play to get better at the game, not to please people.

kagete

bzm said:
And regarding the thor qqing over the repel thing. Against, what was it, pillow and swag? shit like that will cost you the lane. Playing flint in a losing lane is one of the most frustrating/least fun things in the game

Sorry for DP but pillow and swag were RUTHLESS that lane and even later in the game. We should probably pre-arrange lanes before IHs to even things out as well.

TUSR

Banned
kagete said:
I used to be an epic tryhard, and really HATED playing with Sanjay last year, but I just reexamined my priorities and decided to be more mature about playing with them and actually got to know him better so that my expectations and style of play would match his, and this resulted in more fun and less stress.

Im still at this point and need to tone it down a bit more and enjoy the game. IH games are fun, not work.

Its tough to get this mentality, because the previous 300 games ive played ive had people cuss at me telling me im the worst player in the world (HoN community /smh)

kagete said:
Playing "ward bitch" is also not recommended for new players, it is counter intuitive to what many consider the basic elements that make the game fun like farming for items and getting kills. Don't take it the wrong way Guesong, but it's really an advanced role and people don't want to force others into it since they know it takes a different mindset

Absolutely could not agree more, warding is one of the most important parts of the game. Im typically the ward "bitch" because all I do is play support and I know where to put wards at what time. If someone wanted ward pointers there is a few of us that will gladly offer help. Warding is a responsibility, it can win or lose games.

kagete said:
We should probably pre-arrange lanes before IHs to even things out as well.

This would probably be for the best. We need to figure out the best balance of players, because some of the games we have played have been complete blow outs and half the people playing get frustrated.

nara

Banned
to change subject... new patch is out!

one word: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
Dr Repulsor
Magebane
Scout
Valkyrie
Corrupted Disciple
War Beast
Pharaoh
Balphagore
Revenant
Thunderbringer
Gauntlet
Wretched Hag
Demented Shaman
Ophelia
Plague Rider

When purchasing Heroes, you can now bundle the available Alt Avatars for that hero and receive a discount on buying them all together

In order to bundle, you must check the box in the Purchase Confirmation Screen after clicking to Purchase the hero

Tagged a lot of gagets as un-selectable

Many abilities in the game would create gadgets for only a few seconds and you could tab to them while they were alive. We fixed this for the vast majority of instances

Added a new Alt Avatar: Mist Runner Scout

Added a new Premium Alt Courier: Nyan Cat Courier

Top Bottom