• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

kagete

azuki said:
The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
Dr Repulsor
Magebane
Scout
Valkyrie
Corrupted Disciple
War Beast
Pharaoh
Balphagore
Revenant
Thunderbringer
Gauntlet
Wretched Hottie
Demented Shaman
Ophelia
Plague Rider

Whoooo time for kagete5 to make his debut! I'M GOING MID, sum1 learn2ward noobs!

TUSR

Banned
kagete said:
Whoooo time for kagete5 to make his debut! I'M GOING MID, sum1 learn2ward noobs!
Thats a lot of good heroes, at least S2 isn't picking shit ones for the free2play accounts.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Squire Felix said:
Thats a lot of good heroes, at least S2 isn't picking shit ones for the free2play accounts.
Ophelia

Had someone pick her, didn't take Command and went into the lane and did nothing.

Dahbomb

Oh man finally some epic heroes for me to pick. Last pool was ass.

Dr Repulsor and CD my two favorites. :)

Should be on tomorrow.

Meeru

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Oh man finally some epic heroes for me to pick. Last pool was ass.

Dr Repulsor and CD my two favorites. :)

Should be on tomorrow.
Tundra and Maliken in last pool? Best heroes?

Sanjay

Guesong said:
For the record, Puppet was talking in-team chat ; since I believe you were on the opposing team, you couldn't see it.

Yeah I was on the other team.

Guesong said:
And where did you ever get the perception I won't do as I'm told

The below statement, with that tone, you do not like being told what to do. Why would you bring up a demeaning metaphor which makes us look like twats.

Guesong said:
So when I don't ward, is it because I won't do as I'm ordered, like a good dog?

Guesong said:
Or perhaps are you referring to when Puppet brilliantly use his communications skills to explicitly states what he wants BEFORE proceding to harp on you? Because he doesn't. Or didn't in this case. He can chat pre-game alright, asking to swap me out of his team "for a Warder". I didn't take too keenly to that either.

Puppets an idiot, he told our whole team to "quickly kill Devourer" with his 4k hp, our whole team killed him but we were genocided after.

Also he never want's me on his team, like I give a fuck just go on the other team and beat his ass by playing Voodoo Jester going heal and stats.

Guesong said:
Or - consider this ridiculous hypothesis - it's because there are heroes on my team that are supportives heroes, more designed to get wards for other carries and tanks heroes, that decide to go some weird carry Accursed random build (btw that doesnt work)?

Accursed carry works.

Guesong said:
I want to learn to carry - oh wait, nope, all my money must go into wards, or to die in teamfights when I'm Emerald Warden kiting Predator for a good 10-15 seconds (that's 5 minutes after teamchat said "We can kill Predator, we just have to kite him" --- see I do listen!) while Pillow is at the toplane, farming gold, and thus I die. Well, so much for following the plan like I was told.

LOL, Pillow was crazy for thinking that. That game was lost and when pillow said that he meant when team fights happen, not like lets go kill predator now.

Guesong said:
there's some teamfight going on and I'm somewhere, trying to farm up some gold because I need better items ASAP elsewise I'm kind of useless since I'm behind the curve? Pillow does it. Puppet does it. Bokr does it. Hell you did it all the time yesterday. Ditching teamfights to go farm and to hell if we lose it. But when me, or dorkimoe, or whoever else try to do the exact same thing we are sighed at?

If a carry is farming your team should not get into teamfights, but if they tower dive force a fight that person should always carry a teleport so he can tp in to help. But if your team is pushing you should go and your team would only push once your carry has his items.

Guesong said:
Hell you did it all the time yesterday. Ditching teamfights to go farm and to hell if we lose it

What? how did I ditch teamfights to go farm? what game what hero was I?

Yesterday the carries I played was Silhouette & Warbeast and we won both games :|

I farmed my frostwolf skull for Silhouette and my bkb with Warbeast and came out to party. I may have died to a neutral but that was a big ruse.

Guesong said:
Actually here's an idea for once ; why don't the regulars step back from their eternal carries and gankers choices, go support roles, and let the newer people try to carry?

Gankers are support roles, I think you mean ward bitches. Your plan would cause more rage as your jumping into the deep end first, need baby steps first. If you want a carry hero start off with heroes that require tanky type carry builds, like CD heroes that require vanguards and then go onto squishy heroes.

Guesong said:
Give me helpful instructions, like "Charge CD now Rampage!" (a good game, that was ; Thor or Loki harping on me for not doing it while I said at least 3 times to call it out in Mumble if he wanted a charge. He was mighty silent all the while!), and I will follow, and laugh when death ensues. But that seldom ever happens.

The best helpful instruction I can give is don't play Rampage if you don't know when to use his skills. Decision making is key and if your unsure its always going to end badly. Your blood in or blood out with rampage.

Meeru said:
Yeah.

All the players who play carry, go support. The only problem are people who can do both very well, like Kagete I heard he's been carrying!

You heard wrong! total fluke.

kagete said:
Also, don't think that we're okay with Sanjay doing what he does in some games :| we definitely make sure that he knows it when he is throwing. Thankfully, Sanjay takes it all on the chin and is generally pleasant with the ribbing.

These false accusations hurt me deeply. I never throw.

kagete said:
I used to be an epic tryhard, and really HATED playing with Sanjay last year, but I just reexamined my priorities and decided to be more mature about playing with them and actually got to know him better so that my expectations and style of play would match his, and this resulted in more fun and less stress.

The fuck, this means you still hate playing with me but your holding it in like Hulk.

Swag

To be honest I think the most important thing to take away from the past 2 pages are that Thor and Puppet are both assholes that should only play support.

SNICKER

But on the real, the GAF in house culture is something that you'll either love or hate, once you get used to the game, you'll love it, but when your new, you'll think everyone is harping on you. Everyone ( at least I think everyone ) has good intentions towards the new guys, and I'm sure no real malice was intended by Yuber or Thor. Puppetyuber just doesn't think about what he says before he says it, and comes off as asshole=-sh when in reality he's just making jokes, and Thor just expects a lot out of everyone, Trust me I've gotten the receiving end of his rage a few times in TMM matches.

Guesong

Sanjay said:
The below statement, with that tone, you do not like being told what to do. Why would you bring up a demeaning metaphor which makes us look like twats.

Because most of the time I suffer from the same demeaning behavior as I'm being harped upon and bossed around. There's a thing called cooperation, and there's a thing called subordination. Ask me to do something, don't order it.

Also I find it quite hilarious that your proof of Guesong-hating-to-do-what-he-been-told appears a posteriori, in an out of game situation, when I'm extra salty, after you made your comment. So I ask you again ; when didn't I do as I was told - or died trying - , in-game?

Good luck finding it.

The best helpful instruction I can give is don't play Rampage if you don't know when to use his skills.

A fantastic way of thinking. Tell me, how does new players begin then? They can't use any hero, because they won't know when to use anything. Heck, how does a player learn a new hero? He can't! A sprite must have visited a chosen few in their dream so that they magically knew how to play Rampage, that must be it.

And for the record ; I had swapped Soul Stealer to someone on the team who wanted it (a Gaffer, don't recall who, it was TMM), and he picked Rampage and gave it to me. Gotta make due with it, not throw the game because I have no idea when to charge, and when nobody tells me either.

What? how did I ditch teamfights to go farm? what game what hero was I?

Yesterday the carries I played was Silhouette & Warbeast and we won both games :|

My point exactly. Take the Warbeast game for instance. Everyone who was on Mumble can attest that you were missing for at least 2 teamfights. I'm not saying the logic behind it was wrong ; you used it to farm gold, become beef and procede to own, that's great. Just a statement of fact that you did, and that alot of other players do, and that while you did get harped on, those other players never do. And if me or dorkimoe or newer players try do to it, we will get harped on and pinged on, like you were. :)

Accursed carry works.

Lies. It especially does not work when he's the only potential support on the team yet still insist on carrying.

Guesong said:
For the record, Puppet was talking in-team chat ; since I believe you were on the opposing team, you couldn't see it.

And where did you ever get the perception I won't do as I'm told? Thor asks me to repel him when he gets poisoned ; okay. I do. "No why did you repel me!?". The fuck. Okay so I guess it's not everyti- "GUESONG WHY DID YOU NOT REPEL ME. QQQQQQQQQQQQ **** THIS LANE".

Or perhaps are you referring to when Puppet brilliantly use his communications skills to explicitly states what he wants BEFORE proceding to harp on you? Because he doesn't. Or didn't in this case. He can chat pre-game alright, asking to swap me out of his team "for a Warder". I didn't take too keenly to that either.

I can ward. Anytime. In fact, the next time I'll get a support hero, you will see nothing but wards coming out of my pocket. So when I don't ward, is it because I won't do as I'm ordered, like a good dog? That's if I even get ordered, mind you ; most other times nobody says anything and we just lose, so it's not like I got much "helpful instructions" anyhow.

Or - consider this ridiculous hypothesis - it's because there are heroes on my team that are supportives heroes, more designed to get wards for other carries and tanks heroes, that decide to go some weird carry Accursed random build (btw that doesnt work)? Is it not a team game? Then why does "the Warder" have to be associated with the individual, and not the hero he plays? I want to learn to carry - oh wait, nope, all my money must go into wards, or to die in teamfights when I'm Emerald Warden kiting Predator for a good 10-15 seconds (that's 5 minutes after teamchat said "We can kill Predator, we just have to kite him" --- see I do listen!) while Pillow is at the toplane, farming gold, and thus I die. Well, so much for following the plan like I was told.

Speaking of which, perhaps you believe I don't listen because there's some teamfight going on and I'm somewhere, trying to farm up some gold because I need better items ASAP elsewise I'm kind of useless since I'm behind the curve? Pillow does it. Puppet does it. Bokr does it. Hell you did it all the time yesterday. Ditching teamfights to go farm and to hell if we lose it. But when me, or dorkimoe, or whoever else try to do the exact same thing we are sighed at?

Actually here's an idea for once ; why don't the regulars step back from their eternal carries and gankers choices, go support roles, and let the newer people try to carry?

Give me helpful instructions, like "Charge CD now Rampage!" (a good game, that was ; Thor or Loki harping on me for not doing it while I said at least 3 times to call it out in Mumble if he wanted a charge. He was mighty silent all the while!), and I will follow, and laugh when death ensues. But that seldom ever happens.
Drama queening a new fad? Everything I said to you was in light hearted fun.

You didn't hear puber calling me bad the entire time?

I think this is affirmitive proof that new players and experienced players just don't mix.

Sorry for DP but pillow and swag were RUTHLESS that lane and even later in the game. We should probably pre-arrange lanes before IHs to even things out as well.
Yeah, swag and I were in full crunch mode. I didn't forget about that game against Valkyrie!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Freakinchair said:
So much puppet hate fest going on. He's all jokes people.

Real talk. If you guys think Puppet HATES Sanjay and Delirium, I don't really know how to respond. Some of the things he says are pretty jagged though, so I could see how he comes off the wrong way.

Kaper

Guesong said:
Or perhaps are you referring to when Puppet brilliantly use his communications skills to explicitly states what he wants BEFORE proceding to harp on you? Because he doesn't. Or didn't in this case.

Puppet does this with everyone (even us "pros"), you just have to ignore it, we're not mind readers. I do imagine a world where puppet tells me what he is thinking before combat goes down, it would be a good world.

Puppet #1 teamkiller, that's for sure. Every time I listen to him to engage I end up dead, I only hope the rest of you don't fall for his sultry voice.

Swag

Freakinchair said:
So much puppet hate fest going on. He's all jokes people.
No the Puppet hate is completely justified
LLShC.gif

Kaper said:
Puppet does this with everyone (even us "pros"), you just have to ignore it, we're not mind readers. I do imagine a world where puppet tells me what he is thinking before combat goes down, it would be a good world.

Puppet #1 teamkiller, that's for sure. Every time I listen to him to engage I end up dead, I only hope the rest of you don't fall for his sultry voice.
Puppetyuber was the original drunken master voice actor, but S2 couldn't pay his fees.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think a lot of people just aren't used to the "IH culture" like a few others have pointed out. "Playful" teasing goes around a lot, but to a new guy, it looks like spite or malice. I mean hell, out of everyone in every single IH, sanjay gets by far the hardest ribbing/teasing, but he just gets it. BZM and I have this thing going on where we have to at least make fun of each other 5 times per night, but I don't think any of us take each other too seriously. Some people will always have thin skin, and take every joke to heart--and I understand that; their personality is just incompatible with gaf IH (unless I guess you mute everyone in mumble and chat, but then, your virtually playing alone).

As to yuber and thor, yeah puppet has become known as the local asshole, and he embraces that, and most of us vets know not to take him seriously. The best defense is a good retort with yuber ;). Kag's brothers are both awesome guys and I enjoy playing with them, but like with inhouses, when I first started playing with them I had to majorly adjust to their "tryhard mode." It's a different zone, and it takes different expectations. I think all of us, at one point or another, have faced the wrath of Thor or Loki's sighs. It makes you want to quit HoN at impulse, but after 1 hour when you calm down, you realize it just makes you a better player. Someone is actually pointing out your mistake (maybe not in the perfect way, but none of us do that, unless your a 1:1 coach), instead of allowing you to repeatedly err and get stuck in a habitual vicious cycle.

As to the whole, "I want to play carries thing," just go for it and pick a carry (Sanjay always does, even in tmm to the tune of 4 simultaneous sighs of disappointment -_-). People do it all the time in in houses and that's where it's usually more acceptable (one time we had a soulstealer, blood hunter, emerald warden, and I think CD team). In a more serious game though, picking a carry is akin to what Haly said, your under more pressure, and you carry more of your team's blame. It's a tough role, and usually it's better to start out playing support until you have the mechanics down, then move on to a hero like keeper of the forest, or legionnaire where you can learn to rice without having to suffer through the laning phase (or having the responsibility of a hard carry).

bzm

Guesong said:
Because most of the time I suffer from the same demeaning behavior as I'm being harped upon and bossed around. There's a thing called cooperation, and there's a thing called subordination. Ask me to do something, don't order it.

Also I find it quite hilarious that your proof of Guesong-hating-to-do-what-he-been-told appears a posteriori, in an out of game situation, when I'm extra salty, after you made your comment. So I ask you again ; when didn't I do as I was told - or died trying - , in-game?

Good luck finding it.

A fantastic way of thinking. Tell me, how does new players begin then? They can't use any hero, because they won't know when to use anything. Heck, how does a player learn a new hero? He can't! A sprite must have visited a chosen few in their dream so that they magically knew how to play Rampage, that must be it.

And for the record ; I had swapped Soul Stealer to someone on the team who wanted it (a Gaffer, don't recall who, it was TMM), and he picked Rampage and gave it to me. Gotta make due with it, not throw the game because I have no idea when to charge, and when nobody tells me either.

My point exactly. Take the Warbeast game for instance. Everyone who was on Mumble can attest that you were missing for at least 2 teamfights. I'm not saying the logic behind it was wrong ; you used it to farm gold, become beef and procede to own, that's great. Just a statement of fact that you did, and that alot of other players do, and that while you did get harped on, those other players never do. And if me or dorkimoe or newer players try do to it, we will get harped on and pinged on, like you were. :)

Lies. It especially does not work when he's the only potential support on the team yet still insist on carrying.
k you need to turn your computer off for a few days and calm the fuck down

Meeru

Banned
Man the drama with Dota 2 will be glorious. Must stream every match.

Dude how will lycan look like in dota 2..he was one of my early favorite heroes.

As for learning new heroes..you really just use your imagination. For example, panda. When he first came out, I went mid with him, leveled flick and his first skill. Used tower to get level three fb. Gave him lothars and runed axe, bots. It was glorious.

Guesong

bzm said:
k you need to turn your computer off for a few days and calm the fuck down

Why? Sanjay and I are having a civil, albeit perhaps a bit heated, discussion. May I point out that you are the first one to resort to swearing?

bzm

Guesong said:
Why? Sanjay and I are having a civil, albeit perhaps a bit heated, discussion. May I point out that you are the first one to resort to swearing?
because swearing is the only indication of being upset right guys??

Kapura

Banned
beyond that, people ONLY ever say swears when they are upset. I don't think I've ever heard of casual swearing. Neva eva.

Sanjay

Guesong said:

Sigh.

Need to get off your high horse and play like a peasant. Have you not seen the Karate Kid? Miyagi tells you to paint a fence, you bloody paint the fence! Up Down Up Down.

Guesong said:

Good luck finding it.

Good luck finding it?

I said "you do not like being told what to do or listen to helpful instructions" I did not say you don't follow them. Every-time I heard you speak in response to some type of help its always in a begrudging tone.

Guesong said:

You said you did not know when to use a skill (charge) with Rampage, I don't see how this is hero related, it goes beyond that. Initiate Heroes is what a lot of new players struggle with. My advice to new players is stay away from initiate type heroes until your more comfortable with the game mechanics of HON knowing the roles of the heroes.

Guesong said:

Bad decisions have bad results but you make due like you said it was not AP. I'm not saying its your fault, I'm trying to give you a understanding.

Guesong said:

Warbeast jungles and can push lanes fast to take down a tower like a beast. I took down top and bot towers while my team were fapping about which was great and what you want your team to do when some one is ricing or pushing. When I left Accursed it was the right thing to do. You just know the other team is closing in on you so you just carry a tp find a spot and tp out once you pushed the lane or taken a tower. Not my fault for him not carrying a tp around.

Guesong said:

I'm saying the hero Accursed can carry a game and if you got a game where Accused is the only support on your team, you are already dead.

Guesong

I am sorry, everyone. While I know that everyone gets salty from times to times, and that I should definitively try to lighten up, it's just that sometimes it is quite hard, for more sensible people, do deal with being called out and harped on, no matter how justified, or non-justified, it is at time.

Had a good night sleep, good advices from Meeru, and while I still think some of the things I said are valid, I am definitively taking it far too seriously for my own good. Sorry it lashed out in the sort (and sorry Sanjay).

But despite the claims saying that in-houses are "not tryhard", I believe yesterday also showed that sometimes, that is not the case ; from people like me, who take it too seriously in one way, to people who sometimes go into too deep into tryhard mode (and thus take it too seriously the OTHER way). Sometimes, it just burns up. It may be something we should all reflect on, and try to improve on.

While I'm not promising it to never happens again, I'll head into IHs once more with a smile and with the solemn promise that no matter how bad I get wrecked and harped on at times, I promise I will never pull a MrMr. (<3)

TUSR

Banned
Oh man, I hope I can get a game in tonight with you guys. Tonight HoN-GAF is going to be super competitive.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll be honest though, I'm less tryhard in IH games than I would be if I was matched up against the same level (1700+) players.

Guesong said:
I am sorry, everyone. While I know that everyone gets salty from times to times, and that I should definitively try to lighten up, it's just that sometimes it is quite hard, for more sensible people, do deal with being called out and harped on, no matter how justified, or non-justified, it is at time.

Had a good night sleep, good advices from Meeru, and while I still think some of the things I said are valid, I am definitively taking it far too seriously for my own good. Sorry it lashed out in the sort (and sorry Sanjay).

But despite the claims saying that in-houses are "not tryhard", I believe yesterday also showed that sometimes, that is not the case ; from people like me, who take it too seriously in one way, to people who sometimes go into too deep into tryhard mode (and thus take it too seriously the OTHER way). Sometimes, it just burns up. It may be something we should all reflect on, and try to improve on.

While I'm not promising it to never happens again, I'll head into IHs once more with a smile and with the solemn promise that no matter how bad I get wrecked and harped on at times, I promise I will never pull a MrMr. (<3)
It's perfectly fine to take things a bit too seriously sometimes - to get salty, irritated, frustrated, lost, confused, and so on. We don't mind if you do it, really. The only thing we ask is that at the end of the day you think about it and know that none of the salt matters in the end. We enjoy playing with each and every person that steps into an inhouse. All we're doing here is trying to keep everyone around, and you have to understand that everyone has their heart in the right place, although from time to time their salt might make it seem otherwise.

kagete

MrMister said:
Seriously, I don't want to be on the new guys team anymore, I'm not in IHs for this, and neither is Nuke.

If you want to team up solely with the vets and tryhards, I hope you're up to meeting their expectations. We will also stack vets with a new guy to even things up, so don't complain about that too please.

You and Nuke seem to be pretty tight, so if you prefer to always be on the same team we could definitely do that. People have a bad perception of you now MrMister, but we're all adults here so hopefully we can shake hands and find a good middle ground when in IHs.

Hope to catch you guys later, I have no friends or social life so I will be playing HON for 3 straight days O_O

Haly

kagete said:
If you want to team up solely with the vets and tryhards, I hope you're up to meeting their expectations. We will also stack vets with a new guy to even things up, so don't complain about that too please.

You and Nuke seem to be pretty tight, so if you prefer to always be on the same team we could definitely do that. People have a bad perception of you now MrMister, but we're all adults here so hopefully we can shake hands and find a good middle ground when in IHs.

Hope to catch you guys later, I have no friends or social life so I will be playing HON for 3 straight days O_O
Lolz.
Is the salt level always this high at HON-GAF?
It goes up and down, usually depending on how often Mrmr plays with us.

delirium

I was busy this entire week but I'm going to have a lot more free time this week so I'm down to play.

EDIT: People need realize HonGAF saltiness is just not for HoN. You guys need to see the level of salt when we play isketch.

Haly

delirium said:
I was busy this entire week but I'm going to have a lot more free time this week so I'm down to play.

EDIT: People need realize HonGAF saltiness is just not for HoN. You guys need to see the level of salt when we play isketch.
That plateau one.

So terrible.

IceMarker

Sorry guys, NukeDukem has just raged a lot (yelling, etc.) and being his friend I have to agree with him on a few things.

Be back, dropping him off at his house.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
MrMister said:
Sorry guys, NukeDukem has just raged a lot (yelling, etc.) and being his friend I have to agree with him on a few things.

Be back, dropping him off at his house.

You guys got trucked by a Scout/Ophelia lane. Stop complaining bro.

Haly

delirium said:
You need to join us for more HonGaf iSketch desalting. It usually happens late night after a few rounds of GAF IHs.
I will. Except I'd appreciate it if someone could just throw up a post since I can't use Mumble.

Top Bottom