• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

NukeDukem

Banned
delirium said:
The great Newerth heist!

Whoa.jpg

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finally played my first game.

Total annihilation doesn't even begin to explain it.

Beads

Tomat said:

Stick with it. Seeing yourself improve is a really rewarding feeling. I feel like we need to spoof the "It gets better" youtube series just for HoN/DotA players.

Kapura

Banned
oh man my first game i started off by attacking the enemy heroes at level one, then trying to jungle and solo kongor.

Now I know I just have to pick legionaire to do that.

bzm

Kapura said:
oh man my first game i started off by attacking the enemy heroes at level one, then trying to jungle and solo kongor.

Now I know I just have to pick legionaire to do that.
"wait i thought this was a pve game"

Demy

Tomat said:
Until DOTA2 comes out in a month.
I'm wondering about that. DOTA2's coming out as fresh as hon did when it first released with better graphics and the actual name but hon's had lots of time to adapt, add to, and refine the game. I don't know what to expect but the competition reminds me of times when Dominoe's and Pizza Hut would go at it. More great stuff for us consumers.

Jenga

Banned
Demy said:
I'm wondering about that. DOTA2's coming out as fresh as hon did when it first released with better graphics and the actual name but hon's had lots of time to adapt, add to, and refine the game. I don't know what to expect but the competition reminds me of times when Dominoe's and Pizza Hut would go at it. More great stuff for us consumers.
free side of crazy bread with dota 2 preorder

Conceptor

Tomat said:

You gotta start somewhere! My first ever game of HoN went with me finishing 0-20 as Armadon, lol. NO BIGGIE it only gets better!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Tomat said:
Kind of surprised by all the hate for the outline. I guess it's perfect for a trash eating LoL plebian like myself, but it really doesn't look that bad. Do you guys hate it because of the graphical style, or because it could make the game a tad bit easier?

Graphical style. I really hate the look of it in LoL.

Guesong

So I did some TMM with my RL friend yesterday, and slowly but surely, I am beginning to see the "disreputable neighborhood" of HoN more and more. Or just plain dumb people.

Single Draft, I get stuck with a choice of Madman, Amun-Ra or some1 else. A guy on our team has a Jereziah available. My friend tells me to try and trade for Jereziah ; fine by me, I much prefer Support over anything else. I ask the dude, he agrees and he wants Ra. So I pick Ra, try to trade him fast for Jereziah (10 seconds or so left)...

And the dude trades Silhouette for Dr.Repulsor or some shit to another player.

And I'm stuck with Ra. I could have gotten Myrmidon from my friend. I like Myrmidon. I win with Myrmidon (hah!). But now I'm stuck with Ra cause effin idiots just do some backdoor shady shenanigans.

And then the now-Repulsor player dares to call me out on my poor play. I DIDN'T ASK TO BE RA FFS. "you shouldn,t pick SD then"

fioebg wkogvjokewfgniowefmoiew fenwofw that is so not the point.

On another match, I pick Plague Rider (supposively so easy to use!) at the last second, get paired with a Chronos dude top lane who basically hides in the tree. Opposing us is Nymphora and Witch Hunter (really nice combo I must say). I try my best to harass, try to deny (Rider's projectile is so effin slow though), but I'm wary as shit because Graveyard + Boomerang hurt alot and Chronos is just chilling. "Fair enough", I think, as Chronos needs to level up to be good, right? Anyhow.

Then we get killed 2-3 times, and Chronos says "Eff this I'm not going back top lane with brown (me) it's useless". Riighttt bro.....any tips? Or something?

No, he just spend the remaining of the game being not there in team fights, farming god knows what, until finally coming in when it's too late to use his Ult and getting our Tempest caught in it.

Anyhow...

TL;DR : Please guys let me TMM with you despite my newness, I swear I learn fast so long as I get constructive tips QQ

delirium

I can't play until later today but Nymphora is a great support. She has a skill that gives mana, another one that can heal, and another one that stun. Her ult teleports her and allies anywhere on the map. I have made some bullshit lane combos with her.

Meeru

Banned
Guesong said:
TL;DR : Please guys let me TMM with you despite my newness, I swear I learn fast so long as I get constructive tips QQ
Take my hand, let us tmm together and enjoy some hon. Ill try to get later tonight.

Hey Guesong this game has a very handy ignore function. Usually at the first sign of an angry/rude player I just type /ignore add theirnamehere and continue enjoying the game.

Yo to all the new people, you should probably play more APCM (all pick casual mode) to learn the game.

LEARN THE HEROS! YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT EACH HERO IS CAPABLE OF DOING TO YOU AND WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF DOING TO OTHERS.

#1 general rule of thumb, DONT DIE
dying to enemies gives them gold and experience while you lose gold and have to waste time respawning thus wasting time that could be spent in lane.

It will take time to learn this game, there are 50+ heros with 4 skills each and on top of that there are dozens of items to learn and understand.

The best way to learn this game is through experience, play the game and enjoy!

bzm

delirium said:
I can't play until later today but Nymphora is a great support. She has a skill that gives mana, another one that can heal, and another one that stun. Her ult teleports her and allies anywhere on the map. I have made some bullshit lane combos with her.
nymph is like my favorite hero. ult is sogood

Tomat

Guesong said:

Did TMM with 4 other Gaffers last night, only my second game. I think I went 2 and 11 or something, and Alumnus got disconnected. So it was like a 3.5 v 5 and we still won, it was crazy.

Trasher

Meeru said:
Thank you guys for that wonderful tmm.

R.I.p. meeru
Couldn't handle me mid against you eh? That's what I thought.

I told our team we just had to hold out long enough, and it only required around 15 minutes or so! :p

delirium

Version 2.0.40
-------------
- Added a new Alt Avatar: Flint Boomstick

- The Tutorial should be much more functional
- Moraxus' Shield Bar should be fixed
- Tweaked tooltips for Revenant

Tutorial is fixed for everyone who wants to try it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is there a list anywhere of which heroes are DotA ports and the hero they're a port of? Been doing much better in games since I stopped playing Support and tried Vindicator and Valkyrie.

Guesong

Ikuu said:
Is there a list anywhere of which heroes are DotA ports and the hero they're a port of? Been doing much better in games since I stopped playing Support and tried Vindicator and Valkyrie.

I personally classify Vindicator as support, though. :p

But granted, I tried him out yesterday and OMG he is so good in laning. Eat your mana out, enemy heroes!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Also how good are the recommended builds in the Hero Guide? Generally are the ones at the top worth going with.

Meeru

Banned
Ikuu said:
Also how good are the recommended builds in the Hero Guide? Generally are the ones at the top worth going with.
support its always shrunken head or nullstone, pk (with wards flying courier as priority)
carry its always shrunken head, elder parasite, wingbow or savage mace, riftshards

Tomat

Still trying to get used to the pace of the game, making some progress though. Alumnus has been helping be out a lot.

My game slows down a bit too much during teamfights though which is pretty disappointing. Game is a bit more demanding than I thought it would be.

Top Bottom