• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Meteorain said:
Apparently he doesn't know you can move the mouse to the borders to move the screen lol
I...

What... how...

How do you play!?

delirium

Troblin said:
If HON goes F2P, the game will probably become unplayable. Everyone will create new accounts to smurf, 1500 range will be unplayable. There will also be no reprocussions to leaving, if you can create a new F2P account in 2 minutes...
Maliken has stated that there will be a "protection" for paying member. Savage 2 had benefits for paying members.

Haly

Meteorain said:
I mean Sanjay.

But I am flabbergasted trying to wrap my head around this "using arrow keys to control the camera" thing. Has Sanjay never played an RTS before?

bzm

Halycon said:
I mean Sanjay.

But I am flabbergasted trying to wrap my head around this "using arrow keys to control the camera" thing. Has Sanjay never played an RTS before?
lUFv8.jpg

Sanjay confirmed for next top-tier support?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I don't think I'll ever play a single game of HoN.

I'm strangely content with that.

IceMarker

Fuck my life I am doing horrible without an ounce of support from GAF. I don't know what it is, so much shit in my brain is just clashing because all I hear during in-house matches is more ridicule and laughs at me in-game which just fuel the fire.

Maybe soon again I can have my fun, but even then I'll be met with condescending remarks about "OMG MRMISTER CAN CARRY OMG". Fuck off on that shit even more.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Tomat said:
I don't think I'll ever play a single game of HoN.

I'm strangely content with that.

How come? It's a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's immensely rewarding. Casual mode is usually a good place to learn just because it's not as punishing (however it's also misleading and could get you used to playing overly aggressive and careless).

MrMister said:
Fuck my life I am doing horrible without an ounce of support from GAF. I don't know what it is, so much shit in my brain is just clashing because all I hear during in-house matches is more ridicule and laughs at me in-game which just fuel the fire.

Maybe soon again I can have my fun, but even then I'll be met with condescending remarks about "OMG MRMISTER CAN CARRY OMG". Fuck off on that shit even more.

Mrmr, no one is after you; I don't know where you're hearing that. We just chuckle everytime you rage, and then you rage more and it fuels more chuckles--but no one is going out of there way to bring you down or harass you. In houses are meant to be light hearted and fun; I think you're treating them like TMM.

Tomat

MrMister said:

The last in-house I spectated where Anbokr went CRAZY with Warden was really well played by both teams. You were in there weren't you? Could have sworn you were.

Haly

Mrmr, you need to rage less, that's all. You're acting exactly like the people we're trying to avoid when we hold inhouse games.

It's fine if you're frustrated and you need to vent, but keep it to a reasonable level. Don't make such a huge fucking fuss over it.

You take this game more personally than people in 1800+.

Sanjay

Halycon said:
I mean Sanjay.

Yes I also played Company of Heroes like this too. I do use the mouse to move across to other lanes using the map as its faster. I might need to stream a game or so, so you guys get an idea how I play.

Meteorain said:
you can move the mouse to the borders to move the screen

I don't like using that.

Teknopathetic said:
That's pretty bad, Sanjay.

Don't tell me you played Demigod like that.

Long time now so I don't recall but I don't think so, that game had great camera options, you could zoom out far and even control which ever view you wanted. Game was slower paced too.

Conceptor said:
At least/maybe this explains why Sanjay's average APM is so low!

dude I knew you played point and click but this is a whole new level

Meet me somewhere, mid lane.

Also high APM does not mean anything other then you not being efficient. Sure the pro level players have high APM but they actually do meaningful actions which the likes of us playing at low level having high APM and not doing anything with it makes no sense to me.

kagete

Remembering all those times Sanjay played devourer... oh god my head is spinning just thinking about playing point hook, click hook, point target, click target... A zoomed out spectator-level zoom will be perfect for you Sanjay.

The only reason people ragged on you MrMr was because you're so vocal about it. Honestly, I think Meteorain rages more because he shits on himself (and other people too) out loud for every little mistake he makes in a lane. But he also knows to take some verbal abuse back on the chin and shrug it off.

Phandy

Using the keyboard to move around the map is actually pretty efficient and I'd say its better than using the mouse to push the side of the screen, its just people arent used to it.

I use:

WASD for camera movement.
QERF for 4 skills
ZXC for top 3 items slots.

Then i have extra mouse buttons for hold/attack

By doing this you can just have your mouse on screen clicking to move and clicking on skills etc etc. Without having to move to the screen edges to move. I've been doing this in RTS games for a while now. I think I started doing it in Men of War of Company of Heroes.

bzm

Sanjay said:
Also high APM does not mean anything other then you not being efficient. Sure the pro level players have high APM but they actually do meaningful actions which the likes of us playing at low level having high APM and not doing anything with it makes no sense to me.
Keeping handspeed up allows you to react to shit faster

Sanjay

kagete said:
Remembering all those times Sanjay played devourer... oh god my head is spinning just thinking about playing point hook, click hook, point target, click target... A zoomed out spectator-level zoom will be perfect for you Sanjay.

I think I mentioned this already but I do uses short keys but not all the time. For Dev I do use shorts keys, you kind of have to but for some weird reason every time I do go Dev for in-house, my team always lets me down.

bzm said:
Keeping handspeed up allows you to react to shit faster

In theory but in reality no.

I've been checking peoples APM of the last few in house league games and I noticed that kagete meeru azuki and puppet's all among gaf's top players have more or less low APM in comparison to other gaffers.

I don't think I've ever hit 100 APM. I click like a madman early game when last-hitting and positioning is important but when it's mid-late game I'm auto-attacking creep waves (because I can farm it easily) and travelling in a straight line. I also don't press "S" or "H" to force-stop unless I'm ulted by a BH. My APM is probably highest when I'm Armadon.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
"He still received the ass beating of his life"
"God bless."

lol

Also when I started HoN, I had about 20 APM. Now I'm up to 90-100.

Haly

Procarbine said:
That hero outline thing better be a bad joke. Keep that garbage out of hon, it looks so bad.
It helps to make things clear.

Let's be honest, HoN is way too flashy for its own good. When the particle effects starts flying it's hard to see what's what.

Anyway it'll probably be toggled on and off in the options menu.

kagete

Halycon said:
It helps to make things clear.

Let's be honest, HoN is way too flashy for its own good. When the particle effects starts flying it's hard to see what's what.

Anyway it'll probably be toggled on and off in the options menu.

If it highlights either Legion/HB or teammates/enemies differently in white/red then I will turn that feature on 100% of the time. I'm somewhat colorblind and have trouble differentiating colors on the minimap so every little visual cue that helps identify friend/foe will help immensely

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Really hope that outline is optional, I hate stuff like that.

As to APM, I click a lot for random pathing and stuff early game, and always have like 140-200 APM (I honestly have no idea where that comes from).

bzm

Anbokr said:
Really hope that outline is optional, I hate stuff like that.

As to APM, I click a lot for random pathing and stuff early game, and always have like 140-200 APM (I honestly have no idea where that comes from).
If you're standing still in lane (low apm loolol) you are just asking to get hooked/pitfalled/grasp'd/whatever else

Meteorain

Yep I click around a lot too, just to avoid a potential hook, arrow, stun, etc. Also comes from canceling attacks and stuff like that.

It helps, because every so often you'll randomly dodge a potential gank from the fog that you didn't see.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Nome said:
It's optional, don't worry.

Sweet. I really don't like that look/LoL's style. LoL in general feels very flat to me, whereas HoN is much more vibrant.

I don't think HoN is too flashy at all, I honestly have no trouble following what goes on.

Hey nome, you're never in our channel and for some reason, the website doesn't work for me. like all the scripted buttons do not trigger an action. But I digress, I bought an account icon, uploaded a static gif to use as the icon, and I just get a broken image icon. I have no option to change the image, and i cannot get to the support page of the website. Any help is appreciate man.

Tomat

Kind of surprised by all the hate for the outline. I guess it's perfect for a trash eating LoL plebian like myself, but it really doesn't look that bad. Do you guys hate it because of the graphical style, or because it could make the game a tad bit easier?

delirium

Tomat said:
Kind of surprised by all the hate for the outline. I guess it's perfect for a trash eating LoL plebian like myself, but it really doesn't look that bad. Do you guys hate it because of the graphical style, or because it could make the game a tad bit easier?
Here's the reason for the majority of whining in HoN: change is scary for people.

Top Bottom