• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
delirium said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJsvad9cn_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83vVzMo9a8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5nH8ZECYWI

It's not the same as playing through the tutorial yourself, but its better than nothing. It's shows a LoL player playing through the tutorial (before the new shop borked it).

Watch these vids new guys. The UI/hero stuff is a little dated and take the commentary with a grain of salt, but it's a great place to start to get a grasp on what is going on. The tutorial not working is really lame.

Also, join the "Clan NeoGAF" channel and ask for an invite when you see me, meeru, or blitz on!

Conceptor

How about we organize a game for just the new players? and all of the more experienced guys can choose to spec one of them and give them tips and such? Just a thought

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Conceptor said:
How about we organize a game for just the new players? and all of the more experienced guys can choose to spec one of them and give them tips and such? Just a thought

Do we have enough though? I've only seen around 3-4 new players max online at one time.

delirium

Anbokr said:
Do we have enough though? I've only seen around 3-4 new players max online at one time.
If we set a time in the future for everyone new that everyone can agree on, we can get everyone that's new and teach them the game.

Kapura

Banned
Guesong said:
It'll be a fustercluck in Mumble, though!
We have... 2 team channels, three if we keep some people in the channel outright. Plus there are usually a dozen unoccupied channels. Just pick up a few extra rooms!

ToddG15

I grabbed the game but haven't had the guts to join a game yet. I'll have to hop into the Neogaf channel to try to find some friendlies later tonight or tomorrow. I've been playing LoL up to level 21 and have been doing some guide reading/watching for HoN so hopefully I won't totally noob it up.

Meteorain

Conceptor said:

Shut up Con, nobody wants to hear opinions from a noob!

Guesong

I'll surely be on HoN quite a bit today, so hopefully we'll be enough for some GAF-matches. Reaaallly don't want to risk any MM before a while lol

Erasus

Heavy said:
To any prospective buyers: take the plunge. I just did and am shocked at the amount of content, features, and options you get for just 10 bucks. Very fun and well-made. I'm coming from LoL

Same.

The engine is so much better, getting 40-60fps maxed out.

Recon

Banned
Im already in a clan with just friends, but you guys play with gaffers without gaf clan tags? I suck ass and would love to play with fellow gaffers(750 mmr...)

Meeru

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Im already in a clan with just friends, but you guys play with gaffers without gaf clan tags? I suck ass and would love to play with fellow gaffers(750 mmr...)
Everyone is welcome:)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Still contemplating my purchase. I've never been somewhat afraid of purchasing a game before (I'm aware this makes me sound like a little bitch). Still waiting on my friend's decision as well.

Meeru

Banned
Tomat said:
Still contemplating my purchase. I've never been somewhat afraid of purchasing a game before (I'm aware this makes me sound like a little bitch). Still waiting on my friend's decision as well.
Its np we got like 30 gaffers on right now

Beads

Hey guys, I just bought my account during the $10 sale. I did play a decent amount in the beta however, and I'm looking for some cool people to play with. I'm trying to be more active on NeoGAF, so maybe this will help me get to know some of you guys. My username is Beads. I'm around ~1350 mmr right now I believe.

Tomat

Welp, my buddy and I made the plunge. I'm still -incredibly- intimidated. We're going to need help GAF, so expect to see us. my IGN is t0mat03, and my buddy's IGN is crackbabyjr.

Guesong

Tomat said:
Welp, my buddy and I made the plunge. I'm still -incredibly- intimidated. We're going to need help GAF, so expect to see us. my IGN is t0mat03, and my buddy's IGN is crackbabyjr.

Oh you'll see, it's not -so- bad if you are familiar in the genre. If not that's another matter entirely though, but still.

From my (short) experience, it's better than what you probably think. Did 4 MM today, won only 1 out of these, but I was not greeted with OMFG YOU SUCK and stuff. Then again that's probably because I was surprisingly on par or better than most of my teammates and/or foes. Lots of new people apparantly so now is a good time to learn.

Tomat

Probably, I have a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill quite a bit (community wise). Genre wise I definitely need practice though, playing gankers/carrys really isn't my thing so I usually stick to support/tank characters. Even then though, in the case of a tank, my initiation could use some work.

Denying is going to take some getting used to as well since Im not the best at last hitting for myself either.

IceMarker

Meeru said:
Havent seen mrmr in forever.
I'll be back. After playing 600+ matches straight for 4 months, I'd just like to play a few games I've bought/needed to complete in my backlog on Steam. Rest assured I'll be back near full time by the next Hero patch.

Tomat

Played my first match with a buddy, we did a 1v1. I can't believe how different this game feels in comparison to League. It's insane.

Really glad to see all the new HoN players joining and participating! You guys should definitely try to play, and of course learn, with us all. HoN-GAF is one of the most friendly communities on GAF, surprisingly enough, and I'm sure any of us would be grateful to help if you guys needed anything. HoN is a tough game to learn, but it can be incredibly rewarding, so try not to get too discouraged. See you guys around.

Conceptor

ReconYoda said:
Practice is the best way. That or watch a TON of youtube videos.

Also, the official HoN forums are a good place to visit. Last I checked they had a dedicated help/training/newbie players board and a lot of great guides to heroes, warding, etcetc. Lurk, post, whatever~

Hojaho

Since the tutorial doesn't work at the moment.
For the people who wanted to do it, you could just create a game one the practice server. (IIRC you can't invite people in that game though).
There are some features there to get xp and money instantly, so you can try items, heroes skills etc.

Sanjay

Sebulon3k said:
Bzm I'm sorry, I was rude :<

Confidence won me 3 games tonight!

Nah I kind of agree with most of your points you made, I was not really confident playing Behemoth. I played him cagey in fear of messing up the initiation in team fights and was more reactive.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sanjay said:
Nah I kind of agree with most of your points you made, I was not really confident playing Behemoth. I played him cagey in fear of messing up the initiation in team fights and was more reactive.

Gotta start using hotkeys bro; they make a huge difference in terms of speed. When I was watching you yesterday, I could tell there was like a 1-2 second delay between when you wanted to use an ability and when it got used, and that's all the enemy needs to juke/kill you.

kagete

What do you mean by hotkeys though? Everyone at least uses QWER by now or do you mean something more complex like key-binding and macros?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sanjay uses point and click (mousing over the skills), or at least that's what conceptor said. I'm sure many of us did that when we first started, but using QWER (or if you're like me, 1234) is so much faster.

delirium said:
If we set a time in the future for everyone new that everyone can agree on, we can get everyone that's new and teach them the game.
me plox :p
but i need the time and the relative timezone, since i play from eu :)

Top Bottom