• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

kagete

Meteorain said:
Do we "Legacy" players have to also buy the new heroes as they come out? I goddamn hope not....

AFAIK you have to pay to play him earlier than everyone else. I could be mistaken though

IceMarker

Meteorain said:
Do we "Legacy" players have to also buy the new heroes as they come out? I goddamn hope not....
Legacy gets the hero no matter what, the only reason to spend the coins is to get them early, the name should give this away... still this whole F2P patch feels so disorganized from a designer stand point, and giving no option for players past today to be a 'legacy' account is a stab in the back to anyone with a friend who wants to get in.

Meeru

Banned
MrMister said:
Legacy gets the hero no matter what, the only reason to spend the coins is to get them early, the name should give this away... still this whole F2P patch feels so disorganized from a designer stand point, and giving no option for players past today to be a 'legacy' account is a stab in the back to anyone with a friend who wants to get in.
Yeah and how would the people who bought it feel if the f2p have all the access we did? I am I personally wouldn't care.. But alot would

kagete

This makes Legacy players a stinking elitist club, whether we want to or not. There are too many incentives to play only with existing Legacy friends/clanmates. I mean, even within GAF, we'd expect a few new players to join us, but because of the design decisions made for them, we'd really have much more fun, variety, and earn more coins just continuing to play with existing legacy.

TMM with 4 legacy gaffers with the sweet social coin bonus VS IH with new gaffers that will have to pick from the same 15 heroes for all the games they play for a week or more.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
S2 should have really kept the "$30 gets you everything" offer. Playing with a small pool of characters is stupid. Hell it is even more dumb than LoL since you can't have duplicate characters.

IceMarker

Really I think I would be better off playing this game during the DDOS days... I'm still trying to comprehend all this and what it will mean for the current and future player base... but goddamn the overall feeling I'm getting is just... bad.

Honestly, early access is pretty bullshit, especially since you can't purchase with silver coins, I would have been fine not knowing about MK at all and just wait until the next two weeks, like a normal hero cycle. At least that way I wouldn't have to have a goddamn carrot hanging in front of my face while players who SPENT REAL MONEY TO PLAY HIM LIKE YOU WOULD IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS FOR A FULL MONTH.

Really, Nome, you need to be the crusader for the player base here, we all know your guys intentions are good, but the execution of this patch and all the ideas behind it are HORRIBLE.

Also the green outline around 'free' heroes in the selection screen is annoying as fuck.

IceMarker

I think I just may take an extended break from HoN until this shit gets worked out... I'll still play from time to time, but it's definitely restricted to playing In-House or TMM now.

MiniKelly

Archie said:
S2 should have really kept the "$30 gets you everything" offer. Playing with a small pool of characters is stupid. Hell it is even more dumb than LoL since you can't have duplicate characters.

Why would they do that when they can now earn $100 from new players.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
MiniKelly said:
Why would they do that when they can now earn $100 from new players.
Would have been a nice gesture, offer it for $30 for the weekend.

Swag

1 step forward, 2 steps back, story of S2's life.

I don't understand why they make Legacy players pay for early access to heroes, should be for anyone that bought the game under $30 or is playing for free.

Do we at least get refunded at the end of the 30 day period? Seriously 30 days

Wes said:
- Randoming in All Pick no longer gives bonus Gold.

Good now we can stop playing AP, mode is garbage.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sebulon3k said:
1 step forward, 2 steps back, story of S2's life.

I don't understand why they make Legacy players pay for early access to heroes, should be for anyone that bought the game under $30 or is playing for free.

Do we at least get refunded at the end of the 30 day period? Seriously 30 days
If you don't see the 'value' in paying for a hero you'll get in 30 days, don't buy it.

Some goons will. Let them.

IceMarker

The only issue I have with this patch, is how they screwed up the Free-to-Play and how it will mess even with verified games. Allowing only 15 heroes at a time for free and making players expend real or in-game currency influences hero picks, because the f2p player will always prefer to pick the free hero if they can. I have to play with Legacy players such as GAF members if I want a 'normal' game of HoN at least in all-pick like I have enjoyed playing for the past year now. And the fact that if I have a friend who comes along down the line and really gets into the game and doesn't want to fuck with the token bullshit never have the option to upgrade to premium/legacy.

They royally fucked up the F2P model.

kagete

Sebulon3k said:
Good now we can stop playing AP, mode is garbage.

Aww cmon, AP is pretty much the only hope of getting new players into the game, especially now. Why does everyone hate AP? :|

IceIpor

Word of warning if you have Avast.
Disable/add an exception for the folder of HoN or else you might get weird stuttering/freezing/fps issues like I did for the past year.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I always thought DOTA 2 would kill HoN.

I didn't think S2 would kill it first.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
MrMister said:
The only issue I have with this patch, is how they screwed up the Free-to-Play and how it will mess even with verified games. Allowing only 15 heroes at a time for free and making players expend real or in-game currency influences hero picks, because the f2p player will always prefer to pick the free hero if they can. I have to play with Legacy players such as GAF members if I want a 'normal' game of HoN at least in all-pick like I have enjoyed playing for the past year now. And the fact that if I have a friend who comes along down the line and really gets into the game and doesn't want to fuck with the token bullshit never have the option to upgrade to premium/legacy.

I think you're completely ignoring the fact that there's a pool of three hundred thousand active HoN players in the verified MM that will have access to all heroes.

kagete said:
GODFUCKINGDAMNIT $2! FUCKUCKGFOISDVJLKSDVSDGLKSHDVKJSDVNHSDNHDKG

This is the ultimate injustice and troll and absolutely destroys the only way I've been playing DOTA and HON for the past 5 years. F that shit! Where's the incentive to try out new heroes? You may as well tell people to always pick PR, Myrm, Magmus, etc instead of being forced to man up and try other hero combinations. Every team is just going to pick the best heroes they can play, for each AP game, every time.

NOME! Where are you??? Could you at least give some justification for this move? Is this because of the smaller hero pool for new accounts?
Welp, I think we're done playing AP. It had a good run.

Moobabe

kagete said:
GODFUCKINGDAMNIT $2! FUCKUCKGFOISDVJLKSDVSDGLKSHDVKJSDVNHSDNHDKG

This is the ultimate injustice and troll and absolutely destroys the only way I've been playing DOTA and HON for the past 5 years. F that shit! Where's the incentive to try out new heroes? You may as well tell people to always pick PR, Myrm, Magmus, etc instead of being forced to man up and try other hero combinations. Every team is just going to pick the best heroes they can play, for each AP game, every time.

NOME! Where are you??? Could you at least give some justification for this move? Is this because of the smaller hero pool for new accounts?

Pretty much.

MiniKelly

Too many people are complaining about the legacy, early access, and free to play bullshit. Do you not see the big picture? Do you want to live in the small 540k playerbase?

This new change will help grow to 15 million registered users like LOL. people who spent $100 still need to earn new heroes in lol. S2 still needs to make money on new content. People in LoL have no problems bringing their newbie friends in the game with 10 heroes.

We should all be happy about this news. I know I am. I felt jealous when LoL had 1 million active players.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
LoL has the momentum of being F2P for over a year. HoN does not, and it probably won't be able to pick up anything close to 1 million once DOTA 2 is out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So yeah, I only payed $10, but fuck that. This is bullshit.

Could have bought Deus Ex instead.

Lyphen said:
So you either pay 10$ and get everything, and all the new content free.

Or you pay nothing, and pay 10$ for two heroes.

Or 10$ to buy a medium pizza.

Think about it.

Could have bought Deus Ex, kept playing LoL, and probably bought a slurpy afterward.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tomat said:
So yeah, I only payed $10, but fuck that. This is bullshit.

Could have bought Deus Ex instead.
So you either pay 10$ and get everything, and all the new content free.

Or you pay nothing, and pay 10$ for two heroes.

Or 10$ to buy a medium pizza.

Think about it.

Kapura

Banned
I could go for some pizza.

A few questions:
How much does Early Access cost and is it on a hero-by-hero basis (so if i buy access to DM, do I have to buy it again for MK?)
How much will heroes cost for the f2pers?

Dreavus

IceIpor said:
Word of warning if you have Avast.
Disable/add an exception for the folder of HoN or else you might get weird stuttering/freezing/fps issues like I did for the past year.

Avast was doing that shit to me all this time? WHAT THE HELL.

I always chalked it up to.... something else. I'll have to see if this fixes my problem

MiniKelly

Halycon said:
LoL has the momentum of being F2P for over a year. HoN does not, and it probably won't be able to pick up anything close to 1 million once DOTA 2 is out.

HoN had 3 million registered beta users at the end of open beta. I think it was 1 million users per month. HoN can easily get 3 million extra new registered users by December. That is if dota2 comes out this year.

Conceptor

MrMister said:
They are definitely encouraging me to only play with you guys from now on in MM.

MrMister said:

MrMister said:
Really I think I would be better off playing this game during the DDOS days... I'm still trying to comprehend all this and what it will mean for the current and future player base... but goddamn the overall feeling I'm getting is just... bad.

Honestly, early access is pretty bullshit, especially since you can't purchase with silver coins, I would have been fine not knowing about MK at all and just wait until the next two weeks, like a normal hero cycle. At least that way I wouldn't have to have a goddamn carrot hanging in front of my face while players who SPENT REAL MONEY TO PLAY HIM LIKE YOU WOULD IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS FOR A FULL MONTH.

Really, Nome, you need to be the crusader for the player base here, we all know your guys intentions are good, but the execution of this patch and all the ideas behind it are HORRIBLE.

Also the green outline around 'free' heroes in the selection screen is annoying as fuck.

MrMister said:
I think I just may take an extended break from HoN until this shit gets worked out... I'll still play from time to time, but it's definitely restricted to playing In-House or TMM now.

MrMister said:

lol. I think we get it mrmr! Does sound like you need a break though... Also, you can turn off that outline feature. They explained that in the MK/Dr Mas. showcase

I agree that they need to add in an option to upgrade the account to a Legacy one, so give S2 a day or two to remedy this.. I'm sure anyone can see it's not a good decision to take that option out, otherwise they will turn off a potential userbase/customer. I don't think it will be back at $10 though; possibly a price point somewhere along the lines of what it might cost to buy a few heroes.

Bring back the incentive to random please. I only ever did it to practice/try new heroes and now I'm going to have to close my eyes and pick or someshit. I would support the whole buy MK early aspect IF they returned coins when the hero was released (as Haly suggests), otherwise just tell us the date that they officially release - we don't care for this bs.

Are the heroes that you have to pay for available in practice mode for the F2P players?

Neckbeard said:
Banning them doesn't do a thing in terms of matchmaking.

Hm.. what's the point in this then :(. I guess /bl add just works in pub games? I wish they'd add in a feature like this to MM. Who wants to play with terrible people if they have a choice.. Do you get a leave for disconnecting at the hero select screen? I would think so :/

NukeDukem

Banned
expect awesome friday update + 2 new heroes
Instead I get $2's version of "free-to-play" , a backwards-ass convulted shit-storm that offers absolutely nothing to customers who've purchased HoN previously. Matchmaking with All Pick was never a good idea before, and is even less so the case now.

Also, Amun Ra was buffed in the latest patch.

riddickulous.jpg

bzm

NukeDukem said:
Instead I get $2's version of "free-to-play" , a backwards-ass convulted shit-storm that offers absolutely nothing to customers who've purchased HoN previously. Matchmaking with All Pick was never a good idea before, and is even less so the case now.

Also, Amun Ra was buffed in the latest patch.
Hon going f2p, mm broken earlier, mon visage quand
U3Smx.jpg

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How long did it take you guys to actually become semi-competent at DotA/HoN?

I'm really starting to get frustrated played this game. It's like volunteering to be the GAF punching bag for a half hour. I've definitely gotten better since I first started playing, but not by much.

Recon

Banned
What is with MMR now? For some reason i have 1519 when i look in match stats, but 967 when i look at my regular stats....im confused...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Tomat said:
How long did it take you guys to actually become semi-competent at DotA/HoN?

I'm really starting to get frustrated played this game. It's like volunteering to be the GAF punching bag for a half hour. I've definitely gotten better since I first started playing, but not by much.

I played DotA for fun at lan computer hub with friends that were also bad. I sucked horribly my first 5 or 6 games, but I got down the basics pretty quickly. What helped me the most in DotA was looking at videos and item build/playstyle guides. I quit DotA for two years or so and when I got into HoN I sucked pretty horribly as well (maybe .6 or .5 kd at the start). But then I started playing heroes that I remembered from DotA, went mid, and started winning.

I think the best thing for newbies to do is to master a few heroes before trying to just play every hero. I know whenever I see someone dominate with a hero, I download the replay so I can watch it later--that always helps tremendously (mimicking other people's playstyle). I know swiftlame said he got good by watching meeru and copying his playstyle.

Top Bottom