• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

"how would HoN get money from Legacy players without early access?"

Alternative Avatars, taunts, couriers, icons? The stuff they were doing before?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Teknopathetic said:
"how would HoN get money from Legacy players without early access?"

Alternative Avatars, taunts, couriers, icons? The stuff they were doing before?
Makes sense in a "I am entitled and want everything" kind of way, but I think early access makes sense given the new model.

I got an ugly hat for buying TF2 before the change. I'm getting future paid content for free under HoN's. A month is no big deal as long as S2 doesn't go the LoL route and release overpowered heroes that they they nerf after they reach a good profit.

Kapura

Banned
Lyphen said:
Makes sense in a "I am entitled and want everything" kind of way, but I think early access makes sense given the new model.

I got an ugly hat for buying TF2 before the change. I'm getting future paid content for free under HoN's. A month is no big deal as long as S2 doesn't go the LoL route and release overpowered heroes that they they nerf after they reach a good profit.
Of course they're going to do just that. It's a tradition for S2 to release stupid broken heroes which get nerfed a few weeks down the line.

Recent OP heroes on release that then got nerfed:
Silhouette
Tremble
Empath
Myrmadon
Aluna
Amun Ra

it keeps happening bro

"Makes sense in a "I am entitled and want everything" kind of way, but I think early access makes sense given the new model."

????? You asked how they would make money off of legacy players without early access, I gave you ways they have been making money off of legacy players before the F2P change. Not sure what that has to do with entitlement.

Jenga

Banned
However it's said that when a door closes, a window opens, and that's exactly what happened. Immediately after I made the announcement, I was contacted by S2Games, the folks behind the Savage games, and more recently, Heroes of Newerth. I was a huge supporter of Savage back in the day, and I've stayed in touch with the guys at S2 periodically since then. They dropped me a line to let me know that they were impressed with the support you guys showed for Operation Spider Shark.

They also really liked the idea, and offered to flat-out put the Spider Shark in Heroes of Newerth as a playable hero.

worst webcomic artist gets S2 support
can i have my ten bux back?

i refuse to associate with anybody supporting tim buckley

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lyphen said:

I don't believe the characters are intentionally over powered in LoL upon. The last three have been overly under powered, well balanced, and under powered again. (Yorick, Leona, and Monkey King Respectfully)

Tried HoN some more, still not a fan of it. I still have a lot of problems knowing what it going on, and for some reason the game makes me think of Unreal Tournament, which is not what I am looking for in a Moba.

IceMarker

After a while some of the stuff in the patch starts to sink in and I can accept some things... still some stuff is annoying, like Early Access and the green borders around free heroes in AP. I'll live.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
MrMister said:
After a while some of the stuff in the patch starts to sink in and I can accept some things... still some stuff is annoying, like Early Access and the green borders around free heroes in AP. I'll live.

I don't think it's certain that early access will be sticking around, and the green borders are a very minor thing.

Trasher said:
lol what happened here?

Im curious too :p

Tomat

Pretty incredible post, his model for the F2P sounds pretty darn good. The verified member should be changed though, it's a little weird. Maybe even get rid of it? A 3 Tier Free - Paid - Legacy seems better to me.

Come to think of it though the Verified Member is basically the same as what League players get.

Regardless of my thoughts, the moderators on to something and S2 really should consider his ideas.

*edit*

Nome posted a thread on Reddit with his thoughts.

S2Nome said:
It is most definitely for the betterment of the community in the end. We've had THOUSANDS of new players sign up today. A bigger community is what's going to drive a lot of the positive changes in the future.
S2Nome said:
Selling legacy accounts would be figuratively shooting ourselves in the foot and doom the F2P model.
Idejder said:
You are right in that it's not correct for us to make promises for the future even if we can fill them. I doubt you will see us doing so much anymore about anything. In this way we will become like any other gaming company and not promise or even say anything until it's already done. Sucks. :(
S2Nome said:
To contrast, HoN is not a cheap game to develop. To pay our nearly 50 employees, to continue providing working servers, to keep pushing out content at a steady rate is not a cheap endeavor--in fact, it incurs costs higher than most MMOs. What is most important to understand here, and what changed my opinion on the subject, is that the F2P conversion and addition of EAP serve the ultimately purpose of improving HoN.
In short, S2 doesn't have enough money.

blitz64

As a gamer, I want to see the option to buy all heroes like in the past. But I totally understand why S2 did this. It is the only way to stay profitable. I've seen it a few times in non gaming companies.

Tivo, it used to offer one time paid lifetime subscription. Tivo is a DVR company that only offers monthly subscription now.

Ooma, a free home phone service. I was also an early adopter where I pay once and I never have to pay another phone bill. Ooma now requires you to pay a small monthly regulatory fee.

So for legacy HoN players, you had it good. We lived the good life of having all heroes available and continued free support from S2. It is only the new customers who have to suffer with the high price tag of free to play.

Change is difficult and I'm sure many people will complain. I support S2 on the new free to play model.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think the most they should do to facilitate new players buying a fair amount of heroes under the new F2P system is to offer some of the launch heroes at 10-15$. A 'classic' pack.

Something like Glacius, Predator, Pyromancer, Legionnaire, Maliken, Swiftblade, Nymphora, Blacksmith, Demented Shaman, Soulstealer.

MrMister said:
Just found a great thread by HoN Forums Moderator 'Passthechips', definitely is the opinion I 100% agree with. Would love to see the system he has suggested implemented.
This really doesn't offer for much monetization. HoN's is already much, much more generous than LoL's, both in price and freebies. I don't think S2 needs to bend over here, as for a year they've been fronting server costs all over the west. They need sustainable income to keep things going, and though Maliken may be a millionaire, I'm sure it isn't fun to keep throwing away money out of your own pocket, even if it's on a game you love to play.

Okay, just downloaded the game...I literally have no clue what I'm doing so if anyone sees me in the clan channel (I'm Mallomar) feel free to give me some pointers or whatnot. I'm the kind of guy who likes being the Medic in TF2, so if there are any good heroes for healing support type players, let me know who I should be looking for.

Meeru

Banned
someguyinahat said:
Okay, just downloaded the game...I literally have no clue what I'm doing so if anyone sees me in the clan channel (I'm Mallomar) feel free to give me some pointers or whatnot. I'm the kind of guy who likes being the Medic in TF2, so if there are any good heroes for healing support type players, let me know who I should be looking for.
martyr, empath, jeraziah are all good healing support type heroes

Okay I need serious help here.

First game I played, a "loading" window popped up and said other players were loading the game. This window never went away. I had to "play" with the map partially obscured during the entire match. Also, apparently left-clicking didn't work on anything: I was unable to choose a character, I was unable to level up any skills, I was even unable to click "OK" when it said the match had ended, causing me to have to end the program using the task manager. Even right-clicking only worked some of the time. I was able to kill some creeps but that was about it. I tried to chat and say how this was literally unplayable but after hitting enter, nothing seemed to come out. How do I make this game playable?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
someguyinahat said:
Play Plague Rider, not a healer, but he's easy to play and you can own people with your Ult.

Meeru

Banned
someguyinahat said:
Okay I need serious help here.

First game I played, a "loading" window popped up and said other players were loading the game. This window never went away. I had to "play" with the map partially obscured during the entire match. Also, apparently left-clicking didn't work on anything: I was unable to choose a character, I was unable to level up any skills, I was even unable to click "OK" when it said the match had ended, causing me to have to end the program using the task manager. Even right-clicking only worked some of the time. I was able to kill some creeps but that was about it. I tried to chat and say how this was literally unplayable but after hitting enter, nothing seemed to come out. How do I make this game playable?
You may be still under the menu screen after thinking about it. Try pressing f10 if you see that again.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Anyone know if our stats are gone forever over the last couple days or is it just bugged? Has s2 said anything? We won 3 or 4 games in a row last night :(.

Tomat

Chinese Electric Batman said:
http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=338452

I can't believe these posts are actually genuine.

Some of you guys are too bitter when it comes to League. Riot is usually on top of deleting HoN related posts or moving them to their off topic forum. I don't frequent the EU board, so I can't speak for how they work over there.

And to be fair, it's not like the same thing hasn't been said about League from HoN players and some of the HoNGAF players.

Insured

Tomat said:
And to be fair, it's not like the same thing hasn't been said about League from HoN players and some of the HoNGAF players.
The blind hate towards the other among players of these games (that came off a bit... odd, but can't word better) is completely ridiculously stupid. If people have decided that they're never even going to give the game a proper chance, why is it so hard to just shut up about it! What do they have to prove to the internet?

"The blind hate towards the other among players of these games (that came off a bit... odd, but can't word better) is completely ridiculously stupid. If people have decided that they're never even going to give the game a proper chance, why is it so hard to just shut up about it! What do they have to prove to the internet?"

That what they like is the best.

Trasher

So has anyone found a way to fix the white screen that fills up your screen whenever you mouse over units/heroes/buildings? Apparently it may be unique to Mac users since this recent patch.

Troblin

I have a couple spare legacy accounts if any new players want to buy them. Will sell them at the 35$.

Think they have ~2000-2500+ silvers coins on them as well.

TUSR

Banned
Anbokr said:
Anyone know if our stats are gone forever over the last couple days or is it just bugged? Has s2 said anything? We won 3 or 4 games in a row last night :(.
I got two quad kills last night... Where my stats at bro

Halycon said:
where flash

how i warp to base?

WijGf.png

delirium

Fly was interviewed on their new strategy. A super defensive 2 hero lane (usually with plague rider so they can soak up experience). Then 2 solos with a roaming jungler who ganks. It gives them the best possible experience for them.

Top Bottom