• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm loving the look so far. Still working out sizing for characters versus the environment (like doors and things). RPG Maker VX Ace doesn't give you a lot of screen to work with, which is why I hate it. But it'll do.

iRDlpTuOZQUj7.bmp

Is this in the works? Have you thought about enemy types or is this simply exploration/mystery?

There's a lot of talent here, I see some good stuff. I picked up the bundle as well. I haven't started. I sort of threw it off thinking I'd come back some other time.

legacyzero

Banned
Is this in the works? Have you thought about enemy types or is this simply exploration/mystery?

There's a lot of talent here, I see some good stuff. I picked up the bundle as well. I haven't started. I sort of threw it off thinking I'd come back some other time.
Slowly, yes. I wont be making deadline, though :p

And yes, this will have combat. Enemy types are dead soldiers and beasts.

legacyzero

Banned
Yep. Now I seem to be full swing. Making prop lists, adding details, shadows, wear and tear. I still gotta redo the main character, though. He seems kinda blurry.

icSpJfTXe8WpA.bmp

ibk6jB0HOjxOwU.bmp

Ugh, I've been slacking. I probably will be able to release something by the due date but I know it'll be after cramming everything in last minute instead of working on it little by little.

ZenaxPure

We're almost two weeks away from the game submission deadline, as a heads-up.

I think I might actually make it again. I've been putting an insane amount of hours each day into my project since I've came back home and I'm feeling good about it. I didn't think I was going to make it at all, but I cut some content out and now it seems doable. Honestly I didn't even cut out the content just to try and make the deadline, when I was doing a test play through I came to the conclusion the game would be way too long if I left that stuff in. Been trying to trim the fat as much as I can (even if I did like quite a few of the ideas I cut.)

I'd post some screens or something, but I'm no artist so I used the default game art, not really exciting to look at or anything. My main goal going into the project has been to learn the ropes of the program (since this is my first time ever using VX). I wanted to make a fairly simple (in scope) turn based RPG where a) each party member felt different than the others in combat, b) the enemies (and in particular the boss fights) are all unique and have interesting mechanics, and c) come up with something to do outside of "dungeons" that gives the player a chance to explore a bit and effect the ending of the game in different ways. Also I didn't want to use any custom scripts, I wanted to see what I personally could do with the tools they give you.

It's been a lot of fun, I felt like I've learned A LOT about the program. To the point where I had to go back to earlier parts of the game and make some pretty radical changes because of the things I had learned. Actually I spent a large part of my time yesterday re-structuring one of the core mechanics of the game because the way I had it implemented was inefficient and confusing. The new system is way easier for me to understand and use. Not that any potential players will ever know how all that worked haha.

Welp starting back from square one (sort of) because I'm in the process of moving and working out from my laptop. My computer is being shipped to me but it might take a few days. So I'll just work on stuff then consolidate it when I get my stuff.

We're almost two weeks away from the game submission deadline, as a heads-up.

We're doing a full play through tonight so we'll make it. Like ZenaxPure, it's been a learning experience for us and there are a lot of things we've updated/changed after understanding how to use RPGMaker.

I'd like to go back and do a little larger project with it now that I know how to use it fairly well. If the contest started today, we could do something that is probably twice as good as what we did but, no big deal really. We did it because the deadline forced us to work on it and learn RPGMaker for possible future endeavors.

ZenaxPure

If the contest started today, we could do something that is probably twice as good as what we did but, no big deal really.

Haha, I feel exactly the same way! Actually I spent the entire first month of the competition on an entirely different game (that I realized would take to long to complete because there was too many intricacies). This current game I actually didn't start until the very end of June/start of July. I think? Somewhere around there. And then I got roadblocked by spending like a week in the hospital with my dad.

Whatever though, whole thing has been a lot of fun. I just hope the end product doesn't turn out terrible haha. I've been having fun with it, but that doesn't mean much.

hitsugi

my game has fallen into the hopeless trap of start -> unsatisfied with direction / lack of knowledge -> scrap -> repeat.. every single time I try to do something creative I hit mental road blocks

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a heads-up, a big part of the reason I wanted to hold this was so people can make errors and realize a few things along the way, so I'm happy to hear that's happening. There are various obstacles that arise when developing something, and many first-time lessons to learn that you'll only really learn from experience. So even if you don't finish, or finish but not completely satisfied, or realize now you could do better with what you gained, it's all good, and that's exactly one of the points I wanted to get across. Those with passion for making things like this may have learned a few things to help them in the future.

This all said, I have been busy, but plan to sit down and do a quick game for this myself, hopefully you guys like it, it should be brief, but I've made short things in a lot shorter time spans than two weeks (in big parts since I try to participate in Ludum Dare).

We did some full game play testing last night. It went well. We found a couple of kinks that need worked out but, overall it was a positive experience.

I guess I'm fortunate. I've been trying to work on all aspects of the game, and it's coming together nicely. I've finished enough content that I feel comfortable submitting my game, even if it's not finished. I'm going to work my ass off and try to polish the hell out of this episode. It'll be short, but hopefully a good hook for the rest of the story.

I'm very curious to see if the story I've come up with will be interesting to other players. I just hope that the basic JRPG framework is compelling enough to keep people playing.

originalself

Neo Member
It has been tough finding time to work on my game. But I now have all my art and music selected. A few more conversations and balancing then I am done.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, stuff came up for me and I basically couldn't afford to designate time to this. Sad times. :(

I look forward to playing the completed games though.

I wish I had the time/talent to make my game. Take Final Fantasy Tactics as the base game and add in a basic town building mechanic like Heroes of Might and Magic with a Suikoden II recruitment system. Man, if only I could make that a reality.

tensuke

I'm so far behind haha. :c I've barely touched it so far, been so busy. But I'm usually better at stuff when I'm rushing, so it'll go fine!
that's what I tell myself

L Thammy

Again, you guys should still consider submitting even if you haven't finished. You can get valuable input in case you want to complete your game later on, and if enough people couldn't make it, you could still win a prize.

To make sure that everyone gets a fair shot, reviewers should try to look for the games that have the fewest reviews.

I'm trying to finish up my project. Ended up changing everything around and making a more traditional, non-comedic JRPG. I'm only about 35% through what I wanted, though.

Will probably release what I have just for you guys to try it, but I doubt I'm going to be able to realize my full vision.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Required waaay too much scripting for my taste. But I guess that's what I get for not doing a standard jrpg.

Done:
  • Mansion Layout
  • Randomized names & items
  • NPC Alibis and figuring out who the murderer is
  • Find the Murder Weapon
  • Find the Murder Location

ToDo:
  • Actually gathering everybody in the right room and accusing the murderer
  • Having the Murderer stalk you and kill you.
  • Flavor Text
  • Character sprites and portraits
  • Item sprites
  • Show in the status screen that you've picked up the magnifying glass and the murder weapon.

Wishlist:
  • New tileset graphics
  • New Title screen
  • Customize guest list

Yeah, stuff came up for me and I basically couldn't afford to designate time to this. Sad times. :(

I look forward to playing the completed games though.

Pretty much this. I really wish I could do this contest when I was younger and had all the time in the world :(

sld

Like most of you, I also find it difficult to find enough time in the day to work on my little project. Work and my pregnant wife takes up most of my time, but I've still been able to put in a couple of hours from time to time since I'm really committed to seeing the project through. I had zero skills in developing games or working with RPG Maker, so it's been a great learning process which also makes me feel like I can appreciate commercial J-RPG games even more since I now have at least a grasp about how complex professional game development must be.

My biggest challenge have been to constantly downgrade the scope of my project. The more I learn about RPG Maker the more I understand just how much time is needed to make even the easier tasks, especially for a beginner. If I would still be making the game I originally planned to then August next year would still probably be a too ambitious target. :p

I let a friend try a very rough version of my game yesterday and it took him about 70 minutes to finish, even though the battles and various other things still aren't properly balanced. When I submit my game I estimate the playtime will be around 90 minutes for the regular ending, however, I also have a special secret ending planned that will probably double the playtime... But I don't expect the secrets to be finished in time for the competition, unfortunately.

Currently I'm working on tidying up the dialogues and trying to make sure the spelling is as good as can be... English isn't my first language and I have to admit I don't feel super confident about writing a story in a foreign language. :)

ZenaxPure

English isn't my first language and I have to admit I don't feel super confident about writing a story in a foreign language. :)

Your post is better written than a lot of posts I see from people whose primary language is English. I think you will be fine.

sld

Your post is better written than a lot of posts I see from people whose primary language is English. I think you will be fine.

Thanks! I guess I shouldn't worry too much, then.

Man, is this still open? I didn't see when it began! Can I still join?

You could, but unless you have A TON of spare time before the final date then I'd advise against it. Especially if you're new to RPG Maker or making games in general. It's easy to underestimate how much time and effort it takes to make even a very simple short game. And if you're only just starting out then you would have a very narrow time frame to work with.

But at the same time... Mucking about in RPG Maker is really fun so why not at least give it a shot? :p

ZenaxPure

I think I'm done? I need to do a run (or two) through it to make sure everything works correctly, but it's looking good.

I guess the next question is anyone have any advice or a guide on the best way to make this playable to others? I guess I didn't think that far ahead lol.

I think I'm done? I need to do a run (or two) through it to make sure everything works correctly, but it's looking good.

I guess the next question is anyone have any advice or a guide on the best way to make this playable to others? I guess I didn't think that far ahead lol.

We are just compressing ours into an EXE, with the runtime included. That way people can download it, extract it, and open Game.exe and it's running. You can do it from the File menu in RPGMaker.

Anyone want to do some beta testing over the weekend? I'd really appreciate it. We could get together and beta test each other's games. Or if you're not making a game yourself it'd also be hugely appreciated.

BlackJace

Dungeons are done.

Rigging, NPC placement, and last Database entries need to be done lol. Probably won't make the deadline, but will be contributing something regardless.

While I might have bowed out of the competition, as I won't meet the deadline, this has inspired me to take the RPG Maker Program and the games it can create more seriously. The good games out there made with this engine deserve credit, and I'm going to admit to being part of the crowd that used to just go 'pfft RPG Maker game...' and dismiss them without looking.

However, it does take skill to make a good game using the engine, I totally understand that now. I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board and make 2015 a year that I really get to grips with what you can and can't do with with the RPG Maker engine, as I really want to make a Wrestling RPG. It will happen.

So, thanks golem for making this thread, and I like the small community that has emerged from it. It'd be great if this still hangs around, or perhaps someone could even make an RPG Maker Community thread with a dedicated OP collecting all the information that's been shared over the last few months?

legacyzero

Banned
So, thanks golem for making this thread, and I like the small community that has emerged from it. It'd be great if this still hangs around, or perhaps someone could even make an RPG Maker Community thread with a dedicated OP collecting all the information that's been shared over the last few months?

I agree. This thread has done a lot for me. It has helped me to want to aim higher, and make more out of the project I had in mind.

The only negative is this thread has reminded me of the limitations to RPG Maker that I hate so much. Mainly the resolution limit. I really hope that they are working on a more modern version that has more modern features. I believe they would really make a splash with certain indies..

ZenaxPure

Yeah this thread has been great, actually the whole thing has been a lot of fun. Never made a game before ever (though I spent a lot of time as a kid messing with RPG maker 2 on the PS2, but, never completed anything with it) so actually making a game, on a deadline at that, has been nice. Gotta be honest though, when I finished up the other day it felt like a huge weight was lifted off me lol. I had been pushing myself pretty hard to try and finish.

I sent the game to a friend and he has been giving me great feedback, so now I'm just polishing it, will probably keep making changes until the last second haha.

Speaking of which he's ran into so many bugs I didn't even think about, having someone who doesn't understand your game is so key for this I think haha. Some of these would have gone entirely unnoticed by me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Though sure most know, we are on the last stretch, 5 more days left to submit your game.

Or to make a timer...

t1407484800z4.png

...Also, a question, do you guys think we should stick to this thread only for the finished games to be posted, or should we also make a separate thread of finished games for a bit more attention to the rest of GAF to play and rate these games?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Though sure most know, we are on the last stretch, 5 more days left to submit your game.

Or to make a timer...

http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1407484800z4.png

...Also, a question, do you guys think we should stick to this thread only for the finished games to be posted, or should we also make a separate thread of finished games for a bit more attention to the rest of GAF to play and rate these games?
I say let people submit the games and then you can create a new thread with all the submission in the OP for people to download and vote on.

Yeah, it's just a shame something got in the way and I literally couldn't afford to not to focus on it. I'm not going to throw the idea out though since I thought it had potential for a nice little game. Maybe after this month (when said thing occupying my time should be done with) I'll look into working on my game idea more. I'd feel naughty is I saved it for a future RPGM comp.

ZenaxPure

I say let people submit the games and then you can create a new thread with all the submission in the OP for people to download and vote on.

I was thinking the exact same thing. A new thread seems like a must for people that don't visit this thread (since it's been around for a few months now) and having all the games in the first post would be great (though I assume that is obvious).

ZServ

I agree. This thread has done a lot for me. It has helped me to want to aim higher, and make more out of the project I had in mind.

The only negative is this thread has reminded me of the limitations to RPG Maker that I hate so much. Mainly the resolution limit. I really hope that they are working on a more modern version that has more modern features. I believe they would really make a splash with certain indies..

These quotes are pretty damn near my thoughts on it. I truly don't want to go episodic, and I'm struggling with going episodic or not entering to give a much more fluid game. At the same time, though, I would feel weird transitioning to the main indie dev thread.

Ah, decisions.

legacyzero

Banned
These quotes are pretty damn near my thoughts on it. I truly don't want to go episodic, and I'm struggling with going episodic or not entering to give a much more fluid game. At the same time, though, I would feel weird transitioning to the main indie dev thread.

Ah, decisions.

Yeah, I'm even looking into other engines. Stencyl and GameMaker Studio are looking pretty darn good right now.

Here is our submission....

The Last Willie

bhWa2hv.png

IJ6d8su.png

Created by Bl4ckSunsh1n3 and kn1ves24
What type of game: RPG with a dose of humor
Resources used:
Scripts from Yanfly, Jet, Rycochet Hyme, and some scripting of our own.
Music and assets mainly from RPGMaker and RPGMaker DLC. Some music is our own creation as well.

"An evil sorceress with a never ending hunger starts to devour the people of Earth. Our 'hero' stands up to her and is taken to task for it. He must face her wrath to have any chance of survival from this horrible event."

The game is focused on story and combat, with some exploration. It is a bit linear but, you have to figure out the line to take to finish.
It's designed to be accessible to everyone and doesn't require anything other than a little bit of thought to finish. Hint: Nothing is arbitrarily placed in the world.

Download: http://www.qbitgames.com

Also, just in case...qbit games is not an actual studio. It's just a domain the two of us have had for an indie game idea (that is unfinished) we've had for about 5 years now. The site is unused so we figured it'd be a good place to host this.

kn1ves24

Here is our submission....

The Last Willie

bhWa2hv.png

IJ6d8su.png

Created by Bl4ckSunsh1n3 and kn1ves24
What type of game: RPG with a dose of humor
Resources used:
Scripts from Yanfly, Jet, Rycochet Hyme, and some scripting of our own.
Music and assets mainly from RPGMaker and RPGMaker DLC. Some music is our own creation as well.

"An evil sorceress with a never ending hunger starts to devour the people of Earth. Our 'hero' stands up to her and is taken to task for it. He must face her wrath to have any chance of survival from this horrible event."

The game is focused on story and combat, with some exploration. It is a bit linear but, you have to figure out the line to take to finish.
It's designed to be accessible to everyone and doesn't require anything other than a little bit of thought to finish. Hint: Nothing is arbitrarily placed in the world.

Download: http://www.qbitgames.com

Also, just in case...qbit games is not an actual studio. It's just a domain the two of us have had for an indie game idea (that is unfinished) we've had for about 5 years now. The site is unused so we figured it'd be a good place to host this.

I just wanted to add, that its been a fun experience working on this. Prior to this little "competition" I had no experience with RPGMaker at all. While I don't consider myself an expert on it at all, I do think its a powerful tool that could be used to make some great games.

I'd like to echo some of the same thoughts here regarding the time it takes to make a game. I know I sort of took it for granted, but after working on this I now realize just how much of a time investment is needed to make just a "decent" game. Making a great one would take even longer.

I look forward to any feedback you guys might have on our game. Like Black said its an RPG with a HEAVY dose of humor. Lastly, we did our best to play test for bugs and overall completeness but I'm sure we probably missed something here or there. It however should be completely playable from start to finish.

ZenaxPure

Lastly, we did our best to play test for bugs and overall completeness but I'm sure we probably missed something here or there. It however should be completely playable from start to finish.

Haha, this is something I worry about as well. I know my game is playable from start to end as well, but I'm not sure if I missed something somewhere by accident. In my first "complete (beta)?" version I had my friend play there was a boss fight and cutscene I forgot to use a switch to turn off so every time you visit the area it occurs.

Can't believe I overlooked such a huge thing.

kn1ves24

Haha, this is something I worry about as well. I know my game is playable from start to end as well, but I'm not sure if I missed something somewhere by accident. In my first "complete (beta)?" version I had my friend play there was a boss fight and cutscene I forgot to use a switch to turn off so every time you visit the area it occurs.

Can't believe I overlooked such a huge thing.

We had a similar experience. We had a 3rd person "beta" test a version for us and then gave us back a bunch of useful information on a variety of different things (like enemy difficulty, guidance on what to do next, etc.) It was very helpful. Its surprising how much stuff you can overlook or stuff that you put in and makes sense to you when you are doing it but is lost on the average player.

Top Bottom