• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, look who's finally feeling healthy enough to travel and make appearances again. Some news to smile about

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
FDfL6XXWUAARtDP

He's been through a lot over the past couple years and looks like he's finally well enough to travel and make appearances.

I'm happy to see him doing well.

FDfL6XXWUAARtDP

He's been through a lot over the past couple years and looks like he's finally well enough to travel and make appearances.

I'm happy to see him doing well.
Is that you with him in the picture?

Also, no offense, but at least put his name on the OP. Not everybody will know who somebody is just from a picture.

But, once you did write his name down, the people still going "Hurr durr, who??" -- you guys ever hear of a Google search?

Anyway, back to the main topic: I like Jordan Peterson but take a very pragmatic approach to his content (just like I do with anything else, really). He's very smart, has a very sharp and quick thought process, and has a lot of good things to say; but I also don't take anything he says as gospel, as some of his more rabid fans tend to do.

His interview/conversation with Cathy Newman is a good example of how he approches conversations and debates with those who disagree with him. Cathy's aggressive, interruptive, and misunderstanding approach prove to be her downfall. (I'm commenting almost purely on the conversational and debate tactics, not the social/political subject matter).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Also, no offense, but at least put his name on the OP. Not everybody will know who somebody is just from a picture.

But, once you did write his name down, the people still going "Hurr durr, who??" -- you guys ever hear of a Google search?

Anyway, back to the main topic: I like Jordan Peterson but take a very pragmatic approach to his content (just like I do with anything else, really). He's very smart, has a very sharp and quick thought process, and has a lot of good things to say; but I also don't take anything he says as gospel, as some of his more rabid fans tend to do.

His interview/conversation with Cathy Newman is a good example of how he approches conversations and debates with those who disagree with him. Cathy's aggressive, interruptive, and misunderstanding approach prove to be her downfall. (I'm commenting almost purely on the conversational and debate tactics, not the social/political subject matter).

No, that’s Douglas Murray. Another fella I’m a fan of.
No offense taken, I probably should have, just forgot.

Leopold

I love his books but lately he has been eager to be part of wtv conspiracy is around so it became difficult to take him seriously.

Mistake

At this point, I am having a hard time taking the guy seriously. That said, his first book is still relevant for so many young people. I recommend it for anyone who feels like life is out of control.
To be fair, some of the world’s brightest throughout history usually had a few screws loose. Gotta take the good with the bad. It’s nice he’s feeling better

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Jordan has been a lot more inquisitive lately. Listening to his recent conversations, instead of trying to preach and inform, he’s been kinda taking a backseat approach and just getting other peoples points of view on things. He’s definitely more mellow these days.

QSD

At this point, I am having a hard time taking the guy seriously. That said, his first book is still relevant for so many young people. I recommend it for anyone who feels like life is out of control.
Yeah to me he is the guy who said some pretty insightful things, but at the same time he's also the guy who claimed on Rogan that he stayed awake for 7 days straight after drinking apple cider. He's adamant about personal responsibility, but when asked on triggernometry how he got hooked on benzo's he says they were prescribed to him and 'I just kept taking them'. He's become prone to saying some pretty out of touch and hard to believe things. The last video he posted was some kind of Justin Trudeau thing which ended with an ominous, silent slide show from pinocchio.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Not a fan of him, but it's good to see people recover and become healthier. He had covid?
He had COVID, has an autoimmune issue he deals with that apparently puts him in great distress and went through benzo withdrawal where he needed to go to Europe to get detox. Then had some type of a relapse recently that set him back.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
He had COVID, has an autoimmune issue he deals with that apparently puts him in great distress and went through benzo withdrawal where he needed to go to Europe to get detox. Then had some type of a relapse recently that set him back.
Wow. This shit takes quite the toll on the body and mind.

badblue

He's adamant about personal responsibility, but when asked on triggernometry how he got hooked on benzo's he says they were prescribed to him and 'I just kept taking them'

How is saying "I kept taking them" not taking personal responsibility?
Most people that get hooked on benzos do so after being prescribed them by a doctor. I was prescribed benzos earlier this year and I was warned about the potential for addiction to them depending on dosage/duration. Three weeks on a light dose and I had a bit of withdrawal. From what I know, he got hooked because he took them for months while his wife was fighting kidney cancer and then developed a rare complication that damaged her lymphatic system (edit: and lets not forget all the hate he was getting too)

Some of the other things he is adamant about is taking care of your self and getting help when you need it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Apparently from what I've gathered he's one of those who have learned that racial politics and outrage sell.

Kindly crawl back into your secure ward, sir.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Apparently from what I've gathered he's one of those who have learned that racial politics and outrage sell.

Maybe you shouldn't base your opinions of others off "what you hear" and form one yourself?

This is how bad information spreads. From people too lazy to find out for themselves what someone is or isn't about and just adopt the opinions of others. Much of which are also adopted from the opinions of others, 10 factors removed from someone who's actually listened to or followed the person.

Tschumi

Maybe you shouldn't base your opinions of others off "what you hear" and form one yourself?

This is how bad information spreads. From people too lazy to find out for themselves what someone is or isn't about and just adopt the opinions of others. Much of which are also adopted from the opinions of others, 10 factors removed from someone who's actually listened to or followed the person.
I'll promise you this much, I'll never talk about him again so you can rest assured any assumptions of mine won't spread.

I'll give him a look since you ask. I've avoided the outrage and racial politics bug, though, so if that is indeed what he is about i guess you now know my opinion.

Last edited:

he came into popularity by being against some Canadian law to do with compelled speech around trans people, since then he’s been asked his opinion on a number of woke culture war shite with varying levels of success

never seen him do anything about racial politics though, it’s usually patriarchy, feminism, societal hierarchies and traditional conservatism

Last edited:

Tschumi

funkygunther funkygunther Clear Clear thanks for the info guys, i had a bit of a read too, i think he had like 15 years of published work before then so i don't want to talk on that stuff, he might have said entirely valid things, but yeah i don't sympathize with what his stance on that Canadian law apparently was.

-------

In general, i make my own opinions, rather than looking for compadres to back me up, and so within the framework of my own life experience i don't really care if some law recognises any kind of gender pronouns, i mean it makes zero difference to, probably, what i will say for my entire life. And it might help a few minorities receive slightly less shit from emotional thugs. So I've no problem with it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
funkygunther funkygunther Clear Clear thanks for the info guys, i had a bit of a read too, i think he had like 15 years of published work before then so i don't want to talk on that stuff, he might have said entirely valid things, but yeah i don't sympathize with what his stance on that Canadian law apparently was.

Can you not accept that his stance was based entirely upon concern over placing compelled speech into law? That's a big deal because of the potential consequences of allowing any government that right... precedents get set, loss of freedoms gets normalized... etc.

In any case, civility imposed under penalty is not progression, its basically a prison regime!

Point is, if you listen to Peterson you'll understand that his core intention is a deep altruism. The guy burst onto the mainstream with a self-help book, not a political manifesto.

Mossybrew

Dude looks like he has aged ten years. Last couple years have hit him hard. I never quite understood the controversy he generated, he was always fairly reasonable in his positions and ideas from everything I've seen.

QSD

How is saying "I kept taking them" not taking personal responsibility?
Most people that get hooked on benzos do so after being prescribed them by a doctor. I was prescribed benzos earlier this year and I was warned about the potential for addiction to them depending on dosage/duration. Three weeks on a light dose and I had a bit of withdrawal. From what I know, he got hooked because he took them for months while his wife was fighting kidney cancer and then developed a rare complication that damaged her lymphatic system (edit: and lets not forget all the hate he was getting too)

Some of the other things he is adamant about is taking care of your self and getting help when you need it.
It's not that he said that, it's that he kept taking them. JBP is aware that benzo's are highly addictive. If he was prescribed them for insomnia he should taken them only until the worst symptoms have subsided (e.g. he got a couple of nights sleep) and after that he should never have just blindly kept taking them, he should have started trying to sleep without them, using other methods like mindfullness practices to aid him. What he did was certainly irresponsible towards his own health and he paid a heavy price for it. I've never heard him reflect on it and the way he himself contributed to his near-death. That is one hell of a blind spot for someone who endlessly preaches personal responsiblity.

Tams

He's aged very badly over that time. It must have been really terrible. What exactly happened though?

While not exactly groundbreaking (then again, most things in life can't be), the debate and conversations tactics he used then were wonderful.

He was helped by debating/doing an interview with Cathy Newman; she's really not a good debater, or even interviewer. The only reason she, Krishnan Guru-Murphy and John Snow (the best of the three) have kept their jobs are because the people they normally interview/grill are usually politicians, who are often even worse debaters or are just spouting party lines and therefore easy prey. They are no Jeremy Paxman.

But I do agree that some people take their support of him too far, despite the lot of good he has to say. The Guardian actually did a good video series about some of the issues he addresses.

Last edited:

decisions

I totally agree DragoonKain DragoonKain . It seemed like he was going to die for a few months there, and I’m glad to see him doing much better.

One of the great minds of modern society, haven’t checked out his second book yet but the first one was great with very actionable advice/philosophies for self-help.

Soodanim

I’ve only seen some of the earlier videos, where he’s sticking to psychology and the principle of the compelled speech law. I didn’t know his content shifted, but I did know he went through some rough times. Glad he’s doing better.

Tschumi

. The guy burst onto the mainstream with a self-help book, not a political manifesto.
This is something i was kinda aware of, that's why i mentioned it, I'm just talking about the politics of certain statements.

I don't buy that "dangerous precedent" stuff, I don't think it's realistic, and i think it's a pointless redirection of what's really important: how are we going to handle the hack that social media is performing on our social mechanisms?

Words only had to be legislated against because wankers figured out that social media algorithms love negative content, and a huge portion of humanity can't tell when they're being used. If you've used a term like "woke", you're the bitch of someone trying to make money out of you. It's not the only such term, and they're not all right wing, but it's a good example.

I'm sorry but I don't like anybody indulging in click-chasing content, even if he did a self help book (tbh I'm going to look into it, out of interest, I'm not hating on his body of work) I'm happy to report I'm immune from following the leader, helps that i spend most of my free time playing games rather than looking for internet daddies, and have no social media accounts...

I know i won't get sympathetic replies here, take your shots if you want, i mean, i won't change my mind and I'm looking to educate myself on the guy, so try and be happy.

Top Bottom