• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey virals - quit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illegal to pay people to pretend they're regular folks while marketing goods and services? I don't think it's illegal on message boards or it wouldn't happen as much.

Agreed, It's not illegal, but if Microsoft are repeatedly and intentionally violating the NeoGAF TOS, I kinda feel like there should maybe be some consequence? It's not exactly an existential threat, but it does reduce the overall quality of discussion...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
He needs to work on his viral output on twitter. He only has 5 followers.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Wouldn't be surprised if they're some shills for DK: Tropical Freeze on Gaf, with the 800 threads we've had for it so far.

Einbroch

Banned
Agreed, It's not illegal, but if Microsoft are repeatedly and intentionally violating the NeoGAF TOS, I kinda feel like there should maybe be some consequence? It's not exactly an existential threat, but it does reduce the overall quality of discussion...

The only threat they could throw at them would be to not run Microsoft ads, which I don't think I've ever seen anyway. They already ban the turfers, there's really nothing else they can do.

I thought this was amusing.

bUbhMoI.png

the steps

L4USWKp.png

The mythical "power cycling" fixes all black screen, voice recognition, and blu-ray issues.
Downright shameful.

Gxgear

Can't even comprehend how Microsoft intends for this type of thing to fly. Am I suppose to be impressed that an apparent fan upset about his beloved console taking flak on a forum, or Xbox support being able to assist with one additional basic troubleshooting issue?

And what about Ouya?: They're screwing up massively and isn't as promising as they wish to be? Rly?

Seriously guys, think about it.

edited to provide actual relevant information

Syf

Banned
Makes me wonder about some of the people I've interacted with on here. Always good to see one being caught.

Mr.Mike

Honestly, most of you guys are just insane. It's just embarassing. Even without Kinect the Xbox One is worth the same price as the PS4. The workmanship of the console and the controller is amazing and in terms of performance we are not speaking of a difference like Wii -> PS360 so how could you dare to say 199/249 Euro?!? The One delivers more possibilities, has the far better software line-up on shelve and announced for the coming months. I've bought it for 499 and still confident with the price. I see that most people don't care about Kinect, so for those 399, but not one cent less than that.

Who comes up with these things? It's obviously not someone who understands the language and culture here very well...

Speevy

Banned
Do you guys know who else should "quit it"? Everyone who wants to challenge me in Titanfall, coming soon to the Xbox One.

Beant

Illegal to pay people to pretend they're regular folks while marketing goods and services? I don't think it's illegal on message boards or it wouldn't happen as much.

The only threat they could throw at them would be to not run Microsoft ads, which I don't think I've ever seen anyway. They already ban the turfers, there's really nothing else they can do.

I thought astroturfing was illegal in the US and EU. Isn't this what this is? I know nothing will come of it, but I don't actually know the details behind the laws.

Desperation brings out the worst. Wonder what else they're going to try

They've already tried paying off youtubers and game media. They've done controlled leaks here. They are paying tons of people to post on different forums to make people think of the xbox one as a positive system. That's why Reddit is infested with them and they lean so strongly towards MS. They don't get rid of the virals over there. Up next is to try to buy off more 3rd party exclusives.

I dunno, you could get creative. Mod-edits at the top of of Xbone-exclusive OTs reminding readers that Microsoft is known to employ viral marketers to post on this site, and to take any enthusiasm evinced by posters in the thread with a grain of salt?

Not actually serious, of course, the actual legitimate Xbone fans on this site are feeling pretty outcast already and that wouldn't be fair to them.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I don't get what exactly they are trying too accomplish here. Makeing themselves look useful i guess? Whoever is running that twitter account should be fired.

Yes, it's to create the impression that Xbox has good support and the problems people encounter are solved. More buying confidence.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
mason-stop-o.gif

Edit: I really wish they would stop this stuff. It really undermines consumer confidence in the industry. These sorts of accounts and paying off youtubers (even when disclosed) reduce the number of places people feel confident they can get independent information. It's very frustrating to see marketing encroaching in areas I would usually like to expect are independent.

Maybe he was just schizophrenic?

This once more justifies myself in choosing PC/Steam Machine this gen and probably for the rest of my life as a gamer.

I'm just so tired of this crap. The new consoles are nothin' more but cheap PCs. I wanted at least FullHD and they are even not capable of getting 1080p out of this boxes.

As long as the overall artistic style, effects and assets are top-notch I don't care about resolution or fps

so let me get this straight
now we got fucking MS spies in Neogaf trying to advertise there failure of a console
smh man their desperate

I thought astroturfing was illegal in the US and EU. Isn't this what this is? I know nothing will come of it, but I don't actually know the details behind the laws.

Seems the FTC can fine people for astroturfing

http://www.malloylaw.com/blog/item/...l-fines-19-companies-350-000-for-astroturfing

Astoturfing, defined as the practice of masking the sponsors of a message to give the appearance of it coming from a distinterested participant, is intended to give credibility to a business or product. Astoturfing is illegal under many state laws as well as federal law. For instance, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) back in 2009 had published regulations for endorsements and testimonials, including that they must be true and not misleading, and the reviewer must disclose any consideration provided in exchange for the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom