• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sir Fragula said:
Why the question marks? I don't buy Sony products and if this is all true then I've no desire to invest any money in to a format of theirs. I'll wait until the next generation of storage media.

see, this is just sad.

Bebpo

Banned
So in best case scenario:

-Paramount joins back on in Jan 09
-Universal goes format neutral in 08
-HD DVD releases gradually stop in 09
-One format HD world begins in late 09 or 2010
-By this point people are finally ready to make the HD movie leap and with only 1 format, HD movies finally take off and may not become the next dvd, but they'll do fine and most movies will be released in HD.

djkimothy

Sir Fragula said:
Why the question marks? I don't buy Sony products and if this is all true then I've no desire to invest any money in to a format of theirs. I'll wait until the next generation of storage media.

I guess this was what Stinkles was talking about...

Half of you guys are emotionally retarded, but the TRON gif is the greatest thing of all time for too many reasons to list.

Phoenix said:
Only in bizarro universe. With more people moving to BRD, there will be INCREASED competition on the one format and prices will drop faster.

Exactly, once red is gone for good their competition is dvd so the competition only picks up.

scitek

Phoenix said:
They will re-release the back catalog as part of going exclusive, so don't worry you'll be able to sell it soon enough.

What's the point? To save two square-feet of space in my AV cabinet? I'm not going to sell my movies for less than I paid for them and buy them again at retail prices.

I'm kinda pissed at this news because all of the BOGOs are now going to end. I loved taking advantage of those!

Amon37

bravo_hydrogen_bomb_15_megaton-wl.jpg

Kolgar said:
As an extra bonus, three of the disc cases were damaged. There's a nearly two-inch ragged vertical slash over the UPC symbols... Hardly "the look of perfect."

That's normal. It's so you can't re-sell them. They don't want to give you a bunch of free movies, only to have you turn around and sell them. It's the same reason mail-in rebates always ask you to cut-out the UPC and include it.

With promotional CDs they usually drill a very obvious hole through the packaging.

Kolgar

HOLY SHI--

Wow, Warner did it! They chose a side. WOW.

OK, now let's get to work on supplanting DVD, shall we?

LOL, the drama. I am sure the interwebs are EXPLODING right now. And I had to be at work when it happened!

Now to decide whether I should keep the five HD DVDs I bought from BB today, or return them and get the multiformat releases on Blu-ray.

Yes, probably.

Well, this was exciting. Now can we all just get along? ;)

Xisiqomelir

Oh my god I must head over to tardforums immediately and remain there all day. Pure comedy.

Thanks Warner! I'll buy lots and lots of your movies for saving the movie-buying consumer!

I don't know if I could have picked a better time to literally be sitting in Microsoft's CES booth. Although, there's nothing here overly focused on HD DVD, besides Toshiba's showing off a laptop with an HD DVD drive. I did see them setting up A30s for the theater, and they were playing Bourne earlier today to test it.

These next couple of days will be certainly be interesting.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chiggs said:
Hey, where are all the combo-player arguments now?
Hey, I just saw this news on my RSS feed, give me a minute. :lol

May 2008 before the changeover happens and no idea when Universal or Paramount will (be able to) do the same. Format war still isn't going to resolve itself for at least another year. It will also be interesting to see how much of a moneyhat was needed to secure this kind of exclusivity as a measure of just how willing anyone else may be to go BD exclusive in the near future.

So let me see if I'm reading this right:

"Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008."

From now until the end of May 2008, all movies will come out on Blu-ray and DVD, with an HD-DVD version released shortly after. Is that right?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
well, about the best thing that can be said in the history books for HD-DVD is that it kept Blu-ray feature competitive. Without HDi in it's current state to prod them, who knows if or when 1.1 would have ever been implemented. I think the heavy competition also gave us plenty of great bogo deals, especially for those of us who were format neutral, giving us tons of movies for $10 and $12.50.

Sad to know a lot of people will eventually be losing jobs over this. Oh well, let's move on now and start getting out $200 1.1 players so HDM can finally take off in the mainstream.

edit - and as I said just a bit earlier, I would still really like to see an affordable combo player. 15+ perfectly good movies and at least another year or so coming from Uni and Paramount.

Mrbob

Finally the madness is coming to an end.

This is great news for the HD movie market. Best possible outcome for those who truly want to see HD movies become a reality instead of a niche.

They still may become a niche overall, but at least there is a shot for broadening horizons now.

Time to start buying Blu Ray movies.

v1cious

Banned
StoOgE said:
Not a giant deal to me. Good for the BRD supporters, but I imagine Paramount, and possibly Universal will still be HD exclusive for a while at least because they are both very likely contractual (unless Sony comes to Toshiba and offers them something to throw in the towel).

after losing this much marketshare, i predict hd will throw in the towel by the end of the year. take into condieration that the reason sales were so low is cause the market was split down the middle. with everything unified under one umbrella, and a price drop on players, they could definitely take on dvd.

OokieSpookie said:
WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE ITS HIGH-DEFINITION DVD TITLES
EXCLUSIVELY IN THE BLU-RAY DISC FORMAT BEGINNING LATER THIS YEAR

Decision Made in Response to Strong Consumer Preference for Format

(January 4, 2008 - Burbank, CA) - In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros.
Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the
Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry
Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner
Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a
strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give
consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-
definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We
believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for
mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most
importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format
and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray
releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end
of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to
provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware
prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner
Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by
Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is
the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward
high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and
becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said
Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that
recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home
entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner
Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high
definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look
forward to working with them on other projects in the future.
the part almost everyone is missing. There will still be some HD-DVD releases, which is good on them. None of this immediate crap like Paramount/DW.
OokieSpookie said:
got to use it again, nice.
Danne-Danger said:
:lol
Been saving that one eh?
he's used it at least once before though it's more fitting this time.

djkimothy

Kastro said:
The fight is only just beginning people.

Now we must tackle DVD

Fixed. BOGO deals and massive price cuts should still be had in the future to help consumers adopt HD. Though the deals would probably be less frequent.

Walshicus

AltogetherAndrews said:
And the reason for this is...?
I don't like the company.

I bought the HD-DVD drive because it was cheap and I got a load of titles I liked at a decent quality. It was always a luxury alternative to just downloading stuff, and it's not like I don't have a fast enough connection for that not to be a viable option still. I don't feel too inclined to clutter the room up with more hardware, nor do I feel too inclined to go against my instincts do so.

Feel free to buy two Blu-Ray drives to compensate if you like though.

Mrbob

"Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008."

From now until the end of May 2008, all movies will come out on Blu-ray and DVD, with an HD-DVD version released shortly after. Is that right?

After May 2008 no more HD DVD releases.

theBishop

Banned
Bebpo said:

-By this point people are finally ready to make the HD movie leap and with only 1 format, HD movies finally take off and may not become the next dvd, but they'll do fine and most movies will be released in HD.

I think this is possible:

- Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc pull HD-DVD rapidly
- HD-DVD Promotions Group sees the writing on the wall
- Universal, Paramount are freed from any exclusivity arrangements they may have
- /end

Really though, once retail begins pulling HD-DVD from shelves, that's it. It doesn't matter if Universal is holding out or not. If customers don't see Red cases on the shelves, there's no format war.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
distantmantra said:

yeah. that's actually pretty cool of warner -- they're not putting pressure on hd-dvd stalwarts to switch right away or miss out on movies. beats paramount's 'WE'RE GOING IN DRY' approach, which robbed me of top gun

Phoenix

Bebpo said:

You are closer to reality than you think based on information that I have sitting in front of me (same info that told me that TWX was doing BRD in early Q1). The only question mark remains the digital content distribution capability picture in 2010-2011 that would possibly prevent HD from taking off, but I myself think that to be a pipe dream and that there is no way that digital distribution will be a reality until the wholesale sales model of the studios is broken and it actually becomes profitable to sell content electronically next to regular content releases. Right now the consumers don't care, and the ones who do care have very legitimate complaints about gimped digital delivery.

Nightz

Just when I bought a 360 HD-DVD add on. :lol

Oh well, at least I got the Bourne trilogy with it for free, as well as the five free movies coming and King Kong. the Bourne trilogy made the purchase worth it for me. I'm just glad I didn't go to Best Buy for the B3G2 deal. I can wait for Batman begins on Blu-Ray. :D

i wonder if paramount is now regretting their decision now. they should have waited until the end of the year like WB.

now would also be a good time for both sides to get together and reach some type of compromise like new dual format players or firmware updates that allow both types of movies to be played on current players (which is probably impossible though).

hopefully this does mean that the format war will be over soon because by next christmas season player should be down to $200 or less so software sales should pick up so one format would be ideal

KZObsessed

Wow what perfect timing, I havn't logged onto the internet for about a week! Can't believe it! Blu-Ray has officially won and HD-DVD is finished.

Petrarca has ascended to heaven!

oh and:

Sir Fragula said:
I don't buy Sony products and if this is all true then I've no desire to invest any money in to a format of theirs. I'll wait until the next generation of storage media.

hahaha! :lol Dude seriously!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
borghe said:
yeah, because HP5, Blade Runner, Casablanca, and 2001 have all been woefully inadequate.. are you fucking kidding me? :\

I own HP5 and while calling its picture quality inadequate is almost criminal, you cannot say that they chose the same video encode as their HD-DVD release because it was not worth increasing the video bit-rate (movies like the PotC ones do not seem to waste it), but that the added cost caused by making and polishing an additional higher bit-rate encode was not a cost Warner wanted to take.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Riskbreaker23 said:
i wonder if paramount is now regretting their decision now. they should have waited until the end of the year like WB.

paramount got their payoff, which still probably surpasses the bd revenue they're losing. but their pr is going to be funny for the remainder of their hd-dvd tenure -- spinning for a format they may have never believed in, and no doubt jumping ship at the first contractual opportunity

anyway, this is probably a direct consequence of the paramount deal, so things probably worked out for the best

Kastro

Banned
Sir Fragula said:

Turns out it is true. Alas, can't win them all.

so you've never bought a CD before?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sir Fragula said:
Why the question marks? I don't buy Sony products and if this is all true then I've no desire to invest any money in to a format of theirs.

Well, what have Samsung, Matsushita, and others (who make Blu-Ray players) have done to piss you off that much...

(somebody beat me to the bell with the CD comment :))

MoxManiac

Sir Fragula said:

Turns out it is true. Alas, can't win them all.

You don't have to buy a Sony player. Other companies make Blu-Ray players.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Be funny if MS and Toshiba announce that rumored X360 with HD-DVD built in today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom