• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni Jazar

Bebpo said:
So in best case scenario:

-Paramount joins back on in Jan 09
-Universal goes format neutral in 08
-HD DVD releases gradually stop in 09
-One format HD world begins in late 09 or 2010
-By this point people are finally ready to make the HD movie leap and with only 1 format, HD movies finally take off and may not become the next dvd, but they'll do fine and most movies will be released in HD.

Yep. That is best case unfortunately. Unless paramounts opts out of their deal prematurely.

mollipen

borghe said:
and you guys who have HD-DVD drives and are stopping now from buying new movies... are you kidding me??? "Oh noes I'm not going to buy a movie that I already have the setup to play because it might be inconvenient to play years down the line." This war only existed because of dumb ass logic like this.

If I had an HD-DVD player, no way in hell would I continue to buy movies for it. Why in the world would I keep it? Unless something happens to suddenly switch back in HD-DVD's favor, the format won't survive. Why would I want to keep a player around for the handful of movies I might own at this point?

Find some poor schmuck who's willing to buy the player and whatever movies you might have, and call it a day. I have enough of an issue keeping around old gaming systems for a couple games I still love and can't play otherwise, you think I'm going to keep a piece of hardware around that has no future and is only kept for movies that are currently (or will be a year or so from now) also on Blu-ray?

Raguel

I'm glad the format war is over. And I'm glad i have both players. But i'm a little perturbed that about purchasing my HD-DVD player only a month ago. It's a great player, and i only have 10 movies for it and i'll keep it, but i probably won't be purchasing anymore dvds for it now, except for bourne supremacy. From now on, it'll be blu-ray. *Kisses ps3*

Mrbob

It is going to be funny seeing Paramount as the last studio standing on the HD DVD side for a full year.

I would expect Universal to go neutral soon.

Of course, perhaps they could both hold out forever so that the entire HD media format can die off. But I hope the company heads are smarter than this.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
bigmakstudios said:
Now that Blu-Ray looks to win the format war... I'm still wondering, will it receive nearly as much support as DVD has?

Besides smaller independent budget titles, why not? Then again, if Dragon Wars is getting a Blu-Ray release, then well, yeah.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I, for one, welcome our Blu HD overlords. I have but one request:

-A $199 2.0 standalone by this fall, since I need another player for my other tv.

I'd say this is pretty civil. At least in this thread. The red guys have been pretty gracious, the Blu guys are happy, but most aren't gloating, just genuinely happy, which is expected. I'm scared to visit AVS or HDD, though.

wow, congrats to blu-ray, HUGE win for them. well, not even a "huge win"....they just fucking WON, plain and simple.

i honestly thought warner would stay neutral. time to talk my girlfriend into selling my reds.

VanMardigan said:

-A $199 2.0 standalone by this fall, since I need another player for my other tv.

I'd say this is pretty civil. At least in this thread. The red guys have been pretty gracious, the Blu guys are happy, but most aren't gloating, just genuinely happy, which is expected. I'm scared to visit AVS or HDD, though.
I can't WAIT to read the meltdowns in HDD.. It'll be great.

but WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I didn't expect this at all, this is COMPLETELY out of left field.

VanMardigan said:

Won't be long.
At least one 1.1 chinese manufactured player is confirmed to be announced at CES and I am sure more.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, for clarity, they've said they'll still release on HD-DVD until May, but HD-DVD releases up until that point would be after Blu-ray and DVD releases.

satori

bigmakstudios said:
Now that Blu-Ray looks to win the format war... I'm still wondering, will it receive nearly as much support as DVD has?

Eventually the answer will be yes, there really is no reason not to. HDTV are increasing in homes, they are cheaper. More and more will be buying the PS3, and if you had a choice between a regular DVD vs a Blu, why not go blu?

And really it is up to the hands of retailers, publishers, etc. If big stores like bestbuy, walmart, etc welcome HDs with open arms (which they will since there is more room for growth and profit) you will be seeing gramps and grams rolling out with some nice tech in their cart :)

The "war" is not over yet though. Who ever is in charge of the marketing and education of Bluray needs to go for the throat in a sense. Just end this war so I can get on with my HD addiction...

*hint hint Lucas im looking at you!!! release your shit already argh!!!*

VanMardigan said:

I'd say a $200 2.0 player (or at least 1.1) would be extremely likely by fall.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hmmm... very interesting, potentially great news.

I just hope it does turn things in favour of BD (and by extension; unified HD media). It's not like much happened for HD-DVD after paramount flipped.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
Won't be long.
At least one 1.1 chinese manufactured player is confirmed to be announced at CES and I am sure more.

I guess I can settle for a 1.1 if I have to, but I like the web functionality of the HD DVD's that use it, so I was hoping for a 2.0 at that price.

And I was thisclose to pulling the trigger on an A3 at Amazon, but I wanted to wait till after CES to see what would happen. Glad I did.

dankir

gofreak said:
Also, for clarity, they've said they'll still release on HD-DVD until May, but HD-DVD releases up until that point would be after Blu-ray and DVD releases.

Which means The Dark Knight is coming out on Blu Ray only. But I have Batman Begins on HD DVD. Are they gonna re release those on Blu Ray? I'm definitely gonna keep all my HD DVDs looks my Blu Ray collection ( which is already bigger than my HD DVDs ) is just gonna keep getting biggerer :)

Looks like I made the right decision on buying Pans In blu!

smurfx

get some go again
Phoenix said:
You are closer to reality than you think based on information that I have sitting in front of me (same info that told me that TWX was doing BRD in early Q1). The only question mark remains the digital content distribution capability picture in 2010-2011 that would possibly prevent HD from taking off, but I myself think that to be a pipe dream and that there is no way that digital distribution will be a reality until the wholesale sales model of the studios is broken and it actually becomes profitable to sell content electronically next to regular content releases. Right now the consumers don't care, and the ones who do care have very legitimate complaints about gimped digital delivery.
spill it! god i hope universal goes neutral or drops hd-dvd entirely and goes blu and announces spielberg titles on blu ray. that truly would be a megaton announcement.

Kastro

Banned
I bet Warner HD-DVD's are gonna be all over eBay soon.

I'm wondering if I should sell mine myself. I don't think it's worth the effort though, to sell and then rebuy.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
gofreak said:

I guess that it is almost a gift to the HD-DVD owners (or some contractual obligation as some people were saying) who bought movies from Warner up to today, because giving a timed exclusivity to their DVD and Blu-Ray releases over thier HD-DVD releases coming from until May 2008 seems to say that Warner might have been thinking about behaving just like Paramount did when they switched from neutral to HD-DVD exclusive.

Eel O'Brian said:
Say goodbye to all those BOGO sales
Common misconception, but again not true.
Blu is still competing with hd until the plug is pulled, while it may be not much to it they still have to finish them, and again as has been said their competition now is dvd.
The advantage to having all of the studios wrapped up though is that they will not need bogos for long because the msrp on software will drop to a more palatable level soon enough.

Phoenix

smurfx said:
spill it! god i hope universal goes neutral or drops hd-dvd entirely and goes blu and announces spielberg titles on blu ray. that truly would be a megaton announcement.

I work in this space and work with/brief a number of execs in this space. Everybody's enemy is and will remain the IP owners, they are the hold up for everything that people are dreaming about.

Sylar said:
Fuuuuck JUST bought the HDDVD addon!

Sell it while it's still worth something. Not many people have heard about this news yet, remember. Not everyone uses the internet or keeps an eye out on what happens in the entertainment business.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I am glad to see both little crowing in this thread and few sour grapes posts as well.

Most of us really *did* want this war to end after all.

Agreed.
The bottom line is that sooner or later all will see that this is the best thing for anyone who is into high definition media.
It will allow it to grow and compete and will allow more to get interested in it.
The only ones that will honestly hate this news are ones who can not get past their bias for Sony.

dallow_bg said:
Except for HD DVD BOGOS.

Dunno about that, I think they might go the way certain laserdiscs did and command higher than retail prices from the die-hard collectors. If that happens, though, I'll buy the hell out of them, since all the sales were half the reason I got into HD movies.

Good thing I got that 360 add-on for almost free.

So does this hurt or help the chance of another PS3 price drop? Because that's the only reason I'm waiting to "go Blu" at this point. Otherwise, I might just save for a little longer, and wait for the Sammy combo to drop in price.

RaidenZR

OokieSpookie said:
The advantage to having all of the studios wrapped up though is that they will not need bogos for long because the msrp on software will drop to a more palatable level soon enough.

They need to because over the holidays I saw The Simpsons Blu-Ray ON SALE at FYE for $34.99 (original price $39.99). That's a fucking joke. I laughed all the way home.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Phoenix said:
I work in this space and work with/brief a number of execs in this space. Everybody's enemy is and will remain the IP owners, they are the hold up for everything that people are dreaming about.
By "IP Owners" are you referring to the studios, the CE patent holders or both?

Kastro

Banned
RaidenZR said:
They need to because over the holidays I saw The Simpsons Blu-Ray ON SALE at FYE for $34.99 (original price $39.99). That's a fucking joke. I laughed all the way home.

Fox's Blu-Ray pricing has always been a joke. Same with their DVD pricing. I believe I saw Darjeeling Limited anounced for DVD with a $30 MSRP.

RaidenZR said:

I've always done my shopping online. HDM prices in B&M stores is just insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom