• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

bishoptl said:
Another day of Blu-Ray circle-jerking? The format war is over, gentlemen, no need to keep sucking each other's popsicles.
Someone will probably just start a thread about Toshiba's official surrender, if this one is closed. God have mercy on their soul...

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
This thread has always been made of win, and will be talked about for years. Toshiba, the ball is in your court.

Finally, we'll get some normality in the HD era. No more looking at the back cover to see which movie is on what. No more bickering about sales. It's about holding the studios reposible for maxing the hell out of Blu-ray so that we can enjoy HD movies for years to come.

Even though I've been a vocal supporter of Blu-ray from day one, I have to give credit to HD DVD and their allies for keeping Blu-ray honest. I don't think we'd be seeing the level of quality this soon had it not been for the war and HD DVD's persistence.

I'm thankful - as are the mods I assume - that we were able to keep all the fireworks contained within this thread for the past year, which is a rarity on any messageboard. Now it's over and done with and it's celebration time for my wallet.

14029685-14029688-slarge.jpg

Raistlin

bishoptl said:
We have no idea when those Universal/Paramount announcements are going to roll in, but Toshiba's is imminent. Frankly, leaving this thread open after that doesn't make much sense to me. It's been all "ha-ha" posts or apologist screeds - with the exception of a few posters who've scurried back to their holes, you know who you are - and I want to wrap this sucker up.

Be happy that Blu-Ray won out, and let's move on to discussing HD movies.

Any chance the HDM thread can get sticked once this is locked?

scitek

DarkJediKnight said:
Finally, we'll get some normality in the HD era. No more looking at the back cover to see which movie is on what. No more bickering about sales. It's about holding the studios reposible for maxing the hell out of Blu-ray so that we can enjoy HD movies for years to come.

Even though I've been a vocal supporter of Blu-ray from day one, I have to give credit to HD DVD and their allies for keeping Blu-ray honest. I don't think we'd be seeing the level of quality this soon had it not been for the war and HD DVD's persistence. Now it's over and done with and it's celebration time for my wallet.

14029685-14029688-slarge.jpg

Damn straight. Fox went from MPEG-2 to AVC and Sony did the same all because of the belief that MPEG-2 is an outdated and inefficient codec. I think the belief primarily came from the early HD DVDs that were encoded in VC-1 as opposed to the early Blu-ray Discs like House of Flying Artifacts. Add to that the mandated TrueHD support for each and every HD DVD player sold and you have Sony throwing the size advantage of BD in HD DVD's face by including PCM (sometimes multiple!) tracks on all of their releases.

Yeah, the format war was a good thing, methinks.

Raistlin

dankir said:
So will I be able to nab a dual format player for cheap or are they gonna be in high demand on eBay?

They kind of suck, so I wouldn't bother.

It is unclear whether Broadcom will fix the issues.

Duderz

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
I really wish I check out this thread more :(

blueman-708049.jpg

I'm afraid I just Blu myself

:lol

I really hope after this announcement, we see some of the smaller distributors announce their titles for Blu-Ray. I'm really hoping Studio Ghibli and Criterion (read: Kurosawa stuff) make it over soon.

Costanza

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
I second this notion. So even newbies could find it. "Blu-ray High Def movies discussion" or something to that effect.

*feels weird saying that* :lol
I'm thinking "High Definition Movie Discussion (Blu-ray, HDnet, UniversalHD etc.)" because people have been talking about stuff being on HDnet in there too.

calder

There were times, and by times I mean months and months, when I wanted this thread razed to the ground and every single person who viewed it much less posted in it permabanned and their ISP firebombed.

And yet... shit I'm going to miss it. :| You were the best of GAF, you were the worst of GAF Official HDDVD/BR Shitstorm thread. Well pretty clearly you were mostly the very worst and the only good you contained was incidental and basically just schadenfreude and dumbass animated gifs. But still, you had personality and personality goes a long way.

See you in the HDM thread, and hell, bitches!

HD-DVD FOREVER!

OK, maybe not. I still wish I could find my first post. I went through the first 60 pages and nuthin.

The cool thing is that this generation of game consoles is gonna be so close. xbox has the initial lead. Wii has gone crazy but may fade due to lack of HD and waggle peripherals introduced to the HD consoles. And now the PS3 wins with Blu-Ray. Great for consumers to have 3 platforms to choose from and all trying to get their dollars/yen/euros! Woo-hoo! :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
so, i went into a coma right before ces.. what did I miss?

Toshiba has a press conference tommorow? good news i trust.

StoOgE

Onix said:
Shit, I might as well stay up.

I'm going to be hurting tomorrow. :( But considering my relationship with this thread ... its the least I can do :p

its ok onix, i'll help you replace your brd collection. how soon before pirates is on hddvd?

StoOgE

polyh3dron said:
lol stooge

what, i just bought 3 hddvd players for 50 bucks, i assume this price shows Toshibas confidence in making the money back in the longterm.

1 format future!

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080218PD215.html

Despite widespread reports that Toshiba will give up the promotion of the HD DVD standard in its competition with Blu-ray Disc (BD), Toshiba is unlikely to give up its HD DVD business operation, Taiwan optical disc drive (ODD) industry sources noted.

Digital Media Network, Toshiba's in-house company responsible for the HD DVD platform, met with domestic makers/suppliers of HD DVD components in Japan on February 18 and emphasized Toshiba's resolution to continue with its HD DVD business, the Taiwan sources explained.

If Toshiba gives up in the battle with BD, it will immediately lose royalty revenues from HD DVD patents, be forced to return already paid royalty charges as well as face risks of customers' returning purchased HD DVD products and launching mass litigation for compensation, the Taiwan source explained.

The sources added that Toshiba will continue to support Toshiba-Samsung Storage Technology (TSST), a global Top-3 ODD maker, so that the maker can offer more inexpensive HD DVD devices to compete with BD products.

The clock is ticking.

StoOgE

in all seriousness, i got my 5 free movies, and tried to exchange one of them at several stores with liberal return policies and none of them would have any part of it, even for store credit. i think they have been told what is up, firesales should commence soon.

lupin23rd

I was gonna go out and buy a bottle of Bols Blue and mix some drinks up during the press conference but I was too lazy.

So is Toshiba really announcing this on a Monday so on Tuesday Paramount can pull a Sega and announce Blades of Glory and Transformers for Blu - on sale immediately? :lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Duderz said:
:lol

I really hope after this announcement, we see some of the smaller distributors announce their titles for Blu-Ray. I'm really hoping Studio Ghibli and Criterion (read: Kurosawa stuff) make it over soon.

Man who are you telling, I would love to see Howls Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke in BluRay

StoOgE

OokieSpookie said:
Ah TME, always the loyal trooper...

honestly, it makes sense.. conceed without doing it, stop spending money on it, but continue it just enough so consumers/partners dont come after you for money.

mollipen

Since I won't be up later, and who knows if this thread will still be open tomorrow... it was a fun ride, beloved Hi-Def Media Lovefest thread. Through your ups and downs, you were always enjoyable, and you will absolutely be missed.

scitek

StoOgE said:
in all seriousness, i got my 5 free movies, and tried to exchange one of them at several stores with liberal return policies and none of them would have any part of it, even for store credit. i think they have been told what is up, firesales should commence soon.

The movies that you get in the 5 free movie deal don't have UPC codes, that's why they wouldn't take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom