• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush 2 was reportedly being pitched before being cancelled

Draugoth

Gold Member
hi-fi-rush.jpg

Arkane Austin and Tango Gameworks were reportedly in the process of pitching sequels to two much-loved titles - namely Hi-Fi Rush 2 and a potential new Dishonored game - when Microsoft made the shock decision to close the studios, and more Xbox cuts are said to be on the way.

That's according to Bloomberg's Jason Schreier who, citing sources familiar with the matter, says Arkane had been looking to return to its roots following the release of last year's critically panned multiplayer shooter Redfall, and had pitched a new single-player 'immersive sim' - "such as a new entry in the Dishonored series" - to Xbox executives.

via Eurogamer

The fact we'll never see a Hifi Rush sequel is a damn shame. Not as bothered about Arkane Austin since they just made a complete turd in Redfall, and they were not the studio behind any of the previous Dishonored games

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only upside I can think of is if MS brings about a great reset.. kills all the big publishers they bought and makes room for new ones. 🤷‍♂️

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was gonna buy HiFi Rush but now....I mean am just giving money to MS.
how does that work?

Fabieter

So in the end everyone was right saying subs in gaming don't work. I mean I would argue they don't work in any entertainment sector but gaming its insanly bad for gaming.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The only upside I can think of is if MS brings about a great reset.. kills all the big publishers they bought and makes room for new ones. 🤷‍♂️
It's one way to look at it, but we as consumers won't see those benefits for years. And then the bigger studios will just buy them again.

MS is basically killing diversity in the hobby for years with these asinine acquisitions and closures.

PSYGN

Xbox from 2009 - 2018: Too much of Gears, Halo and Forza

Xbox in 2024: Let's buy Acitivision and Bethesda and only makes Gears, Halo, Forza, CoD, Fallout, and Skyrim

Microsoft really does love to rely on franchises.
Basically all big tech business models.

1. Purchase other companies
2. Milk franchises dry or stop maintaining them and eventually shut them down
3. Let smaller companies create new ideas
4. Buy them out and milk franchises dry or copy them

Why risk anything when you can just buy others out? Wait, isn't the government supposed to prevent this kind of thing? Oh, they've been bought out, too!

Humdinger

16 out of 40 threads on page 1 are about MS, all of them negative. Even the ones phrased positively are negative.

Not complaining, just saying.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Sucks about Dishonored but let’s be honest, these are the same devs that made Redfall.

Tango doesn’t make much sense but clearly there are things we don’t know.

Dr_Ifto

HFR is the perfect GP game. Low budget AA game that people love.

I bet the metrics showed otherwise, and was barely played, or didn't meet expectations. Doesn't help it was marketed for either release on GP or PS.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That fuckin sucks, worst decision by Microsoft since a long time. I really loved HiFi Rush, very original which is something missing these days. What a stupid move to get rid of Tango.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
- Mr. Spencer we have a sequel idea for Hi-Fi hush and is going to be a GREAT game

- Great games dont sell consoles! How many times do I have to say this! GTFO

U8getHe.jpeg

Wait you’re telling me MS cancelled the development of one of their latest better well received IPs? I’m sorry, I don’t buy that. Probably just looking for clicks/attention

Three

Wait you’re telling me MS cancelled the development of one of their latest better well received IPs? I’m sorry, I don’t buy that. Probably just looking for clicks/attention
There is an old interview out there of Phil where somebody asks about the success of Hifi rush and he deflects to AoE having more players. It's very telling in hindsight. I just remember it but can't find it, I tried hunting it down for you but it's difficult to search for.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Looking at posts like this, it makes a lot of sense when you see the state of the brand right now, god lord these fans. Not to mention that other post deflecting on Sony that I just quoted.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
One of the best "dreamcast" era games in the last 10 years or so. Solid performance, awesome characters. Fun. Original gameplay.

A classic video game....killed by the king green rat 🐀....

Thanks, ffs

Top Bottom