• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya talks Scalebound - "The biggest game of my career"

Bikram

It was doomed as an xbox exclusive but with PC in the picture, it has a good chance of doing average to great depending upon how the PC port is.

ReadyLightIntermediateegret.gif

Impressive the dragon isn't just there to help you out but has its own personality and will attack if provoked.

Dr. Buni

Haven't played a game by Kamiya that left me in awe since Okami, I doubt this will be the one. Most of his games are solid though, except TW101 which was rather underwhelming.

Too bad this will be a Windows Store exclusive when it comes to PC v.v

Shin-chan

Very telling when the discussion is more about the platform its on then the game itself
There's plenty of discussion about the game, but it's not like there's any additional footage to check out and go over. At this point it's just repetition of most people's opinions of the E3 footage and then discussions about the appeal of the game to a wider audience, which the platform is a focal point of.

I'm really hoping this game ends up being good, because I really like the concept and the look of it. That E3 demo didn't really inspire confidence, but as a Platinum fan I'll remain optimistic. As long as it turns out well, I definitely plan on picking it up.

His games would better fit in the Playstation catalog. I wonder why he chose to make an Xbox exclusive

Because MS was willing to pick it up, and maybe Sony wasn't?

Besides, Playstation is getting Nier 2. Don't think Kamiya has any involvement in that game though.

SOR5

There's plenty of discussion about the game, but it's not like there's any additional footage to check out and go over. At this point it's just repetition of most people's opinions of the E3 footage and then discussions about the appeal of the game to a wider audience, which the platform is a focal point of.

mhm. I remember Bayonetta 2. ;)

Very telling when the discussion is more about the platform its on then the game itself

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd have the same attitude if this was a multiplat.

I own an Xbox one. I bought a WiiU for Bayo 2 and to a smaller extent W101.

There was a point where a platinum logo was a instant purchase, no matter the platform.

scalebound just doesn't look...good. It being an Xbox exclusive doesn't change that in the slightest.

SOR5

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd have the same attitude if this was a multiplat.

I own an Xbox one. I bought a WiiU for Bayo 2 and to a smaller extent W101.

There was a point where a platinum logo was a instant purchase, no matter the platform.

scalebound just doesn't look...good. It being an Xbox exclusive doesn't change that in the slightest.

Yeah so do I. It played a lot better than this game looks.

And you guys are fully entitled to that. We'll all find out if were right or wrong on release day.

I can agree with you thats theres a divide.

This constant regurgitation of "it's also an RPG it's not just about fast paced action!" is getting dull. It's not a valid counterpoint to mediocre action combat when they haven't shown us anything that should make us think the RPG stuff is supposed to be phenomenal and so great that it makes up for boring combat. I said it in the DF thread but if Platinum can't get the part they're supposed to be good at right, how are they going to get the part they're new to even better?

Also, it's nowhere near the biggest boss that Kamiya has made. The final bosses of both Bayonetta and W101 are larger (and more fun looking) than what the E3 demo showed.
We haven't seen any RPG stuff. We haven't gotten a trailer that breaks down what the world of Scalebound is, how the world interacts, what the armor is like, what type of dragons are there, how you go about exploring the world, how do missions play out, etc. The only thing we know is that this isn't a game where we do crazy combos and stylish animations.

Plus I think it's time Platinum ventured out of their safe territory.
Better than tied to Xbox

MS came to him with the money. That's just how it is.

Shin-chan

We haven't seen any RPG stuff. We haven't gotten a trailer that breaks down what the world of Scalebound is, how the world interacts, what the armor is like, what type of dragons are there, how you go about exploring the world, how do missions play out, etc. The only thing we know is that this isn't a game where we do crazy combos and stylish animations.

Plus I think it's time Platinum ventured out of their safe territory.

MS came to him with the money. That's just how it is.

My point is more that regardless of how amazing that stuff ends up being it isn't going to make up for so-so action in my action RPG. This game was supposed to be one of those games where the great action was a given and the RPG stuff was what we'd be uncertain of, but it's disappointing that the action appears to be fairly disappointing.

It's only secondary to that that we've seen nothing of the RPG elements which could be amazing, but we wouldn't know it because they've shown nothing yet. we can only go off of what we've seen and what they're telling us is the selling point of the game (giant bosses! Dragon flying! Co-op!).

Vertti

It's likely they'll put it on Steam.
If Rise of the Tomb Raider sales have shown us anything, barely anyone uses the Windows Store for PC Games.

Well let's hope that happens because I really want to play this. Don't care if the footage looked a bit bland. I trust Kamiya and the co-op could be really fun.

Zedox

Well let's hope that happens because I really want to play this. Don't care if the footage looked a bit bland. I trust Kamiya and the co-op could be really fun.

I doubt it 100% that it will ever release on Steam. (Even if Phil says that he will release ish on Steam...yea, I don't believe it, at least not any big hitter). So I wouldn't even give you hope of that.

Apathy

His games would better fit in the Playstation catalog. I wonder why he chose to make an Xbox exclusive

It's called paying the bills. MS came to him, offered to pay for an exclusive and his studio benefits from work. He could have said no and then not had work. I don't know about you but pretty sure he likes to have work and money and be able to pay his employees.

I'm glad he got to make the game he wanted but from an outsiders perspective, everything they've shown about the game looks mediocre at best, and boring at worse. Definitely not something I will want to play until the price comes down.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Microsoft should just put their games on Steam and require the games to be then linked to the Windows Store or Xbox app. They can charge extra to cover Steam's cut, that might actually work to attract people to buy from the Windows Store directly due to it being cheaper.

CrisKre

I trust Kamiya and Im sure the game will be special, but my main issue is that Im really not digging the artistic direction and overal look of this. It has Microsoft´s mainstream approach written all over it and its off putting.

RedRum

Banned
I understand that he's trying to make the game he wants. Glad he's getting the chance. I also understand the critsim. What I don't understand is the "this game would be better under playstation" narrative. Because it's from a Japanese dev?

Ploid 3.0

Hope everything will turn alright for Kamiya, I read somewhere he even slept in his office to make The Wonderful 101.

EDIT : The Wonderful 101 game director slept at the office for a large chunk of its development

That's a usual thing I thought. I remember Polyphony Digital slept under their desks when making GT, there was video of them showing their sleep area under their desks in the Playstation Underground disk. These days they have very nice dorm like areas I bet, I remember something about a washer dryer area in some video, maybe the same one where they showed off the wine in the server room because of the cooling used.

It was doomed as an xbox exclusive but with PC in the picture, it has a good chance of doing average to great depending upon how the PC port is.

You overestimate the PC market for this kind of game. Even if it were on Steam it wouldn't sell that well. It being exclusive to MS's store doesn't help matters.

One of Microsoft's biggest problems is that they don't have support from a lot of Japanese devs. MS makes an effort to get a Japanese dev, and not just a popular one but a niche one, to make an exclusive game on their console and all of a sudden it's a bad idea?
wasnt that because of microsoft, i remember some interview about platinum working in conjunction with MS for the "Western appeal"

The game was originally gonna be made on the Wii, if I'm not mistaken. It's probably been through so many phases of development that the original concept has changed.

Chris1

It's likely they'll put it on Steam.
If Rise of the Tomb Raider sales have shown us anything, barely anyone uses the Windows Store for PC Games.
TR hasn't shown us anything though. It's not exclusive to Win10 store so there was no real reason to buy from it and it was the first (?) major game added to the store.

I guess people can keep clinging onto that as proof of the Win10's stores doom (not that I think any of their games are setting sales on fire either, TR is just an awful example)

wasnt that because of microsoft, i remember some interview about platinum working in conjunction with MS for the "Western appeal"

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-exclusive-scalebound-was-shelved-twice-or/1100-6431046/

Gamespot said:
"We changed the dinosaurs to dragons, but at that point the lead character was even weaker than [current protagonist] Drew is in the context of Scalebound," he continued. "She was actually a little girl who was with these dragons. As we were making this prototype, I realized that I didn’t want to just be watching the fight, I wanted to be more participatory in the fight. And I started talking with the staff about how maybe we should change this to be a swordsman or someone a little bit older. This was when the prototype got put on the backburner, so to speak, and the project was halted. Then we made The Wonderful 101."

Kamiya reiterated that he wants players to have an adventurous world to run around in, necessitating the more active dragons and the more aggressive, proactive character Drew--far different from a young child controlling the creatures and being a passive part of their struggle.

Aka, guy who made bayonetta couldn't imagine a girl being active rather than passive and swinging a sword around... >.>

Squishy3

Seriously, when I heard him say that I was just scratching my head like "Did you forget about the Unicron sized final boss that you fought in your own giant robot?"
It's why I'm weary of when he says it's the "biggest game I've ever made".
You just haven't seen the galaxy sized space monsters we're going to fight at the end of Scalebound

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I understand that he's trying to make the game he wants. Glad he's getting the chance. I also understand the critsim. What I don't understand is the "this game would be better under playstation" narrative. Because it's from a Japanese dev?
List Wars.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
If this is supposedly the "biggest game of [his] career" then why doesn't it feel like he has his best people working on it? Cause that E3 showing sure as shit didn't seem like it.

Jeiiya

I want this game to be awesome and succeed, but that 4 player coop video they showed was very meh to me. I could barely tell that the other 3 players were even there. I just hope that this coop mode is isolated to only a few instances.

Other than that though, I think during the coop video each player had a slightly different dragon. I hope that means we have a variety of dragons to choose from. I wish that also meant we could change the main protag. I'm not a huge fan of his thus far and I feel like this kind of game could benefit from a created character.

I want this game to be awesome and succeed, but that 4 player coop video they showed was very meh to me. I could barely tell that the other 3 players were even there. I just hope that this coop mode is isolated to only a few instances.

Other than that though, I think during the coop video each player had a slightly different dragon. I hope that means we have a variety of dragons to choose from. I wish that also meant we could change the main protag. I'm not a huge fan of his thus far and I feel like this kind of game could benefit from a created character.
They've mentioned in a few interviews/releases that they intend the dragon to be super customisable. Sadly, for whatever reason their stance was the opposite on drew and it looks like all they have in mind for him is some colouration and clothing changes (still the same obnoxious person regardless.)

Having actual character creation for who you play would definitely help put this back on my radar, if there was a female option anyhoo :3

Top Bottom