• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidemaro Fujibayashi. Director of Breath of the Wild. Has he earned the Zelda crown?

VDenter

Banned
I was shocked to learn that the same guy directed Skyward Sword. If there is one thing that Breath of the Wild convinced me about Nintendo is that they do take criticism to heart.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Well, since he made my three favorite Zelda games (BotW and the two Oracle games), it looks like he has earned the crown for me.

It's weird though. It's hard for me to imagine how Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild can be by the same director, since they're so different from each other. It's true they share a lot of similarities: dashing, breakable upgradable weapons, monster loot, shield parry, etc... but the structure of the games are very different. Skyward Sword is a very linear but focused experience, where as Breath of the Wild is totally non-linear.

I wonder what Hidemaro Fujibayashi thinks of the two games, if he prefers one gameplay style over the other.

Actually in the Oracle games, I feel you cn see a similar divide as between BotW and SS in two main aspects, but interestingly, they are paired differently.

- SS is very puzzle oriented and has a guided structure
- BotW is very combat oriented and has a heavy exploration focus

- OoS is very combat oriented and has a guided structure
- OoA is very puzzle oriented and has a stronger exploration focus (thinking especially of the sothern parts of the map)

Judging by the popularity of these games, sadly, my favourite part, puzzles, seem to not be too popular, as BotW is much more popular than SS and OoS is as far as I know more popular than OoA.

Either way, I feel he seems to generally like the full crossproduct of these styles. This of course need not translate to a regular swap between the orientations, because one type might just be more successful (and I fear that what I prefer is the less successful direction).

I don't know...I would need another game to decide. He directed 2 of my least favorite Zelda games (Minish and SS). I know it is not like "one man job" and I still think his Zelda games are good but one game is not enough for the crown imo

The torch has been passed, and it's finally been lit lol.
Aunoma was the worst. All the Zelda he made without koizumi were terrible. End rant.
Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are great. Twilight Princess is good but not great. And then he didn't direct Skyward Sword. I'd say he's got a pretty good track record.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Dude has made one of the best Zeldas ever. I'd say he's earned it. His history on the Oracle games and Minish Cap already made me ecstatic at his continued involvement. Even if Skyward Sword was disappointing, there were interesting yet simple ideas at play, some of which are continued in BOTW.

The dude clearly has a good head on his shoulders. How his team follows this up will be fascinating to see.
"See that tree?, You can climb it"
"See that mountain? You can go there."

Miyamoto: "Are there trees?"

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
i always wondered what happened to flagship. so nintendo hired them. smart move. all flagship zeldas have been great

Fujibayashi worked at Capcom not Flagship. Flagship was a production coordination group that also handled scripts but they never developed a game by themselves. They were a moving piece.

Right now Aonuma's group has certain leaders:

Eiji Aonuma - Group Manager / Producer
Makoto Miyanaga - Sub Manager? / Assistant Producer
Hidemaro Fujibayashi - 3D Zelda Director
Hiromasa Shikata - 2D Zelda Director
Daiki Iwamlro - Assistant Director / Supervisor
Yoichi Yamada - Senior Planner

That seems to be the hierarchy of the Zelda group at Nintendo EPD. All very important men in the near future.

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are great. Twilight Princess is good but not great. And then he didn't direct Skyward Sword. I'd say he's got a pretty good track record.

Without Koizumi, who stopped working on the series after wind waker.
Koizumi co directed Majora's with Aunoma, and was the assistant director on WW.
He was also debateably the lead on Ocarina, though that game had a half dozen directors so it's a little muddy.

He was also debateably the lead on Ocarina, though that game had a half dozen directors so it's a little muddy.

Aonuma is still very important for the direction of the franchise, so if the direction like now is great, it's because of him and fujibayashi of course.

RRockman

Banned
oh man I loved all of this man's games. Had no idea who he was till today. Minish cap is my favorite handheld Zelda game PERIOD, and It seems like he never lost the ambition he had since the oracle games, where he linked two separate continents into one story line.

He needs all of the raises.

royox

Imagine you expend 1 year of your lifetime doing this BOTW demo to impress Miyamoto and the fucker is more than 45 minutes on the same 20m radius climbing trees.

My sides are in orbit.

guit3457

Fujibayashi worked at Capcom not Flagship. Flagship was a production coordination group that also handled scripts but they never developed a game by themselves. They were a moving piece.

Right now Aonuma's group has certain leaders:

Eiji Aonuma - Group Manager / Producer
Makoto Miyanaga - Sub Manager? / Assistant Producer
Hidemaro Fujibayashi - 3D Zelda Director
Hiromasa Shikata - 2D Zelda Director
Daiki Iwamlro - Assistant Director / Supervisor
Yoichi Yamada - Senior Planner

That seems to be the hierarchy of the Zelda group at Nintendo EPD. All very important men in the near future.

Shikamaru, do you have any information about Nintendo salaries?

I always wonder how much they get paid.

Aonuma is still very important for the direction of the franchise, so if the direction like now is great, it's because of him and fujibayashi of course.

No, I hold him accountable for why the series stagnated so long. Fuji must just be so good, it made up for him.

Griss

His record is utterly immaculate.

The Oracle games were great, and far better than any 3rd party Zeldas ever had any right to be.
Minish Cap is the best LttP-style 2D Zelda game.
Skyward Sword is utterly brilliant, with padding being its only flaw.
And BotW is a true masterpiece, and the new highwatermark in the series.

Yes, the series in safe hands.

Caelus

+Strengths -Weaknesses of Skyward Sword ==> Breath of the Wild

+Strengths -Weaknesses of Breath of the Wild ==> O_O;;

I can only imagine the sort of game they'd make with an established game engine, no requirement to port to two consoles, and the Switch's better hardware.

That ambition was Fujibayashi's. Do you think he's the right choice to inherit The Legend of Zelda?

Great post!! I've thought this for quite a while, and hoped to write a blog post, as I had done some research, and hoped that we would be able to listen to him during the E3 2013 Developer Directs.

BTW, You might want to edit your post - He moved to Nintendo in 2007, and worked on LOZ: Phantom HourGlass as a sub-director and story writer. Say what you will about this entry, but I think it gives an interesting insight into his approach. He isn't afraid to try out new ideas - You can see this in the LOZ: Oracle games, which were ambitious for handheld titles at the time. In LOZ: Minish Cap, new ideas were showcased, too. In LOZ: Phantom HourGlass, you were engaging with the DS hardware, and the controls had a freshness which not enough people appreciate. He strikes me as someone who isn't afraid to show his personality, or try different gameplay ideas, or use the hardware in compelling ways, and that's important. LOZ: Skyward Sword is also an example of that - Once more, Say what you will, but it showed what motion control gaming could be, if developers dared to dream. I would also say that he brings a "youthful" energy and fearlessness to the table. His vision for LOZ: Breath Of The Wild was partly born out of a special place in his heart for the first title on the NES.

Perhaps other names to consider are LOZ: BOTW's Assistant Director, Daiki Iwamoto (He directed the DS entries), and Hiromasa Shikata (He was an Assistant Director for LOZ: Twilight Princess, and directed LOZ: A Link Between Worlds and Tri Force Heroes) - It seems that Shikamaru Ninja has pointed them out, as I write this. For discussion, it ultimately depends on which entries you preferred the most, but for me, I feel that Fujibayashi is the natural successor to Aonuma (LOVE Aonuma!!). I still hope that we will get a Developer Direct!!

The Big N

Banned
Nintendo knows how to pick to em, develop them, and reward them. The Zelda franchise has been in amazing hands for 30 years because of the Zelda team members. I have faith in whoever they bring in at this point.

So you are judging him based on Twilight Princess which he took over halfway through development? That's the only Zelda he directed since Wind Waker.

Mensrea

He directed the best Zelda game, Skyward Sword, two of the best Game Boy games, the Oracle games and also did respectable work on BotW, so yes.

Skyward Sword apologists confuse me to no end. I'm 8 hours into BOTW and it's already significantly better than the garbage pile of backtracking, repeat ugly ass bosses, forced clunky combat, and bland pointless exploration that was Skyward Sword. Don't even get me started on motion swimming that doesn't come close to working.

kadotsu

Banned
+Strengths -Weaknesses of Skyward Sword ==> Breath of the Wild

+Strengths -Weaknesses of Breath of the Wild ==> O_O;;

I can only imagine the sort of game they'd make with an established game engine, no requirement to port to two consoles, and the Switch's better hardware.

Imagine BotW with 8 proper dungeons, less battle shrines, more enemy variety and some of the batshit that made MM so great.

Skyward Sword apologists confuse me to no end. I'm 8 hours into BOTW and it's already significantly better than the garbage pile of backtracking, repeat ugly ass bosses, forced clunky combat, and bland pointless exploration that was Skyward Sword. Don't even get me started on motion swimming that doesn't come close to working.
Nah, Skyward Sword is a fine game. I had a lot of fun replaying it a couple of years ago.

Peltz

Minish Cap isn't a very good game (though it has style and is still fun) and Skyward Sword is terrible, so while I'm not convinced, I'm glad that he was able to direct an apparently great game again.

Oracle games are great.

Say what? Minish Cap is awesome!

snoopers

I am multitalented
“When we first presented this to Mr. Miyamoto, he spent about an hour just climbing trees,” Fujibayashi said. “We left little treats like rupees on the trees, but we also left other things in other places we thought he might go. But he just kept climbing trees. Up and down. And so we got to the point where we go, ‘Do you want to look at other stuff?’ But he just kept on going. Once [he] got out of the Shrine of Resurrection, he spent an hour just within a 25-50 meter radius outside of that cave just climbing trees.”

This is amazing.

Astral Dog

Actually in the Oracle games, I feel you cn see a similar divide as between BotW and SS in two main aspects, but interestingly, they are paired differently.

- SS is very puzzle oriented and has a guided structure
- BotW is very combat oriented and has a heavy exploration focus

- OoS is very combat oriented and has a guided structure
- OoA is very puzzle oriented and has a stronger exploration focus (thinking especially of the sothern parts of the map)

Judging by the popularity of these games, sadly, my favourite part, puzzles, seem to not be too popular, as BotW is much more popular than SS and OoS is as far as I know more popular than OoA.

Either way, I feel he seems to generally like the full crossproduct of these styles. This of course need not translate to a regular swap between the orientations, because one type might just be more successful (and I fear that what I prefer is the less successful direction).
BoTW has a lot of cleverly designed puzzles,maybe not mazelike dungeons,byt far more complex than the likes of Wind Waker and Ocarina

VDenter

Banned

Or the endless hand holding. The whole game feels like a 30 hour tutorial that never ends. It was so bad that Fi even tells you how to solve a few the games already easy Puzzles. The game had some great moments but Nintendo went out of their way to ruin the whole game with padding. Thankfully all of that is gone from Breath of the Wild.

Lunar15

He's yet to make a bad game and there's a clear progression from TMC to SS to BotW.

People don't like SS, but it's clear that the goal with that game was to put more *stuff* in the open world rather than having all the interesting content in dungeons. BotW is absolutely the product of that, only now all the areas are connected.

For some reason, Miyamoto spending over an hour just climbing trees just seems like something I'm not even surprised he'd do. I always get this idea that he latches into a very small idea or mechanic and just imagines where everything can go from there and let's devs figure out the details.

duckroll

No, I hold him accountable for why the series stagnated so long. Fuji must just be so good, it made up for him.

If by stagnation you mean kicking off 3D Zeldas with Ocarina of Time and then refining that formula over the years until the perfection that is Twilight Princess, then yeah. "Stagnation" I guess. Lol.

Weebos

Banned
Didn't realize he did the Capcom games. This guy has done a great job already with the Zelda series.

If the worst game he made is Skyward Sword then I'm pretty sure he is doing a damn good job.

eliochip

The Capcom games were too hard for me. I liked them though.

Strangley enough i remember reading a choose your own adventure style book remake of the Oracle games. Didn't get through those either.

The torch has been passed, and it's finally been lit lol.
Aunoma was the worst. All the Zelda he made without koizumi were terrible. End rant.

Are you sure?

link-between-worlds.jpg

Voliko

Yes. He worked on the best 2D Zeldas (Minish Cap, Oracles) and I love both SS and Breath of the Wild. His games always have unique and engaging gameplay systems

gardfish

I found most of the games that he'd worked on before BotW to be fun, but pretty flawed experiences, which gave me some trepidation when I heard he would be directing BotW. Thankfully, I had nothing to worry about there.

Top Bottom