• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto has reiterated he still has no plans to retire from Nintendo: "More so, I’m thinking about the day I fall over."

Draugoth

Gold Member
mario-interview-230424-eye.jpg

Nintendo’s creative leader, Shigeru Miyamoto, has reiterated he has no plans to retire from the company.

At 71-years-old, Miyamoto is now in retirement age. However, he has previously insisted he’s not considering ending his career in the near future.

Speaking to The Guardian in a new interview, the Nintendo director again discussed his plans for the future, stating, “more so than retiring, I’m thinking about the day I fall over”.

He added: “In this day and age you have to think about things in a five-year timespan, so I do think about who I can pass things on to, in case something does happen.

“I’m really thankful that there is so much energy around things that I have worked on. These are things that have already gone out into the world … they’ve been cultivated by others, other people have been raising them, helping them grow, so in that sense I don’t feel too much ownership over them any more.”

Source

mcjmetroid

The man is a genius there is no denying it but you can feel his involvement start to wane in later games and in my opinion it's a good thing. I'm seeing a lot of elements in Mario games in particular I don't see Miyamoto ever approving.

It kinda started with Odyssey to me. Things like having a spoken word music title track and so on.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Dude’s hair is majestic.
His way of doing games would be perfect to direct a series of AA projects with a more arcadey slant that don’t cost a ton to make.

Why are people so obsessed with him retiring? Who cares. He's barely involved in game development any longer, as he says. He handed those series over to younger designers years ago, back when Iwata was still around.

Last edited:

BlackTron

He's literally the only reason we even got a new Starfox in 2016

He's also the only reason it stank despite Platinum's best efforts. Sorry I love Miyamoto, but he really did Starfox dirty, and made the next game even less likely by blowing it. I'm sour because SF64 is one of my favorite games of all time, and the ingredients of a successful sequel aren't that elusive -this is the one game they should not say "if we can't innovate, there's no point to making it" and just put out a simple on-rails arcadey shooter, which is its strength.

That being said, the man is a legend.

Trilobit

I wish he would do small passion projects focused on handheld gaming. I thought Switch would have much more games of that kind from Nintendo, but we mostly got stationary console games.

gothmog

Gold Member
I wish he would do small passion projects focused on handheld gaming. I thought Switch would have much more games of that kind from Nintendo, but we mostly got stationary console games.
It would have been tough to try and sell games like those for $60-$70.

Sojiro

Why are people so obsessed with him retiring? Who cares. He's barely involved in game development any longer, as he says. He handed those series over to younger designers years ago, back when Iwata was still around.
I thought Pikmin was essentially "his" series and he was still involved with those games a good bit, I absolutely could be wrong on that, but the series always struck me as a "we will continue it, because Miyamoto wants it" kind of a thing (and thank God if that's the case because I love the games!). Although with how well 4 has done, Nintendo has a better reason than just appeasing him if that were the case.

I thought Pikmin was essentially "his" series and he was still involved with those games a good bit, I absolutely could be wrong on that, but the series always struck me as a "we will continue it, because Miyamoto wants it" kind of a thing (and thank God if that's the case because I love the games!). Although with how well 4 has done, Nintendo has a better reason than just appeasing him if that were the case.

I think even with games he is still involved in nowadays, he would be a consulting producer at most. Even w Pikmin 4. But I candidly don’t know how he was credited in that game. I know that generally speaking he is barely involved in development at this point.

Credits don’t necessarily mean a whole lot with high-level executives. Like with the CEO Furukawa, he is always credited as an executive producer because he’s the president of the company but he of course has no involvement in the games at all, other than maybe being on a board where they’re greenlit or not.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think he's an icon, but Nintendo def need to start promoting new people into the lime light. I liked that Nintendo had a face like Iwata and him. Aonuma is ok, but he's just for Zelda, and the other guy forgot his name is mostly Mario.

I think he's an icon, but Nintendo def need to start promoting new people into the lime light. I liked that Nintendo had a face like Iwata and him. Aonuma is ok, but he's just for Zelda, and the other guy forgot his name is mostly Mario.

Theyve already been doing this for years, though. With the start of the Switch generation, Koizumi and Takahashi have been the primary faces of the company as far as software and hardware development, and Miyamoto has mostly stepped aside, as he said.

Last edited:
Top Bottom