• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
52558481907_5302894966_c.jpg

https://opencritic.com/game/13964/high-on-life

God is a Geek - 8.0/10
High on Life is a deceptively smart game when it comes to the mechanics of gunplay and traversal, and while there’re a few niggles with movement, it’s ridiculously fun. Squanch Games has managed to capitalise on the mistakes Trover made, as well as find holes in the FPS genre to create an enjoyable shooter filled with gross humour that never failed to make me laugh.

Gamerant - 4/5
High on Life is a fun first-person shooter game with a memorable and hilarious story as well as a couple of serious bugs that need addressing.

Comingsoon.net - 7.5/10
With a vivid and extraterrestrial setting, combat that uses its bizarre tools well, and a straightforward campaign that doesn’t demand to be played eternally, Squanch Games’ first shooter is impressively able to claim its own space within the genre.

Worthplaying - 7.5/10
Overall, High on Life is a solid first-person shooter/adventure game. The action is exciting, and the boss fights are frustrating in their difficulty but satisfying once you take down someone. The exploration portions make you want to return to each area to suss out secrets, and you'd just wish there were more environments to explore. All of this is done at a good length, but only if you're a fan of the humor. If you are a fan, add an extra point to the score. Even if you're not a fan of the humor, the adventure is worth experiencing at least once.

Destructoid - 5.5/10
One big issue with High on Life (and where the game mainly slipped for me) is jank. In my run I had multiple critical path doors that wouldn’t open, or a delay in a few similar sequences. I was able to sidestep these with a swift checkpoint reload, but in one particular case I wasn’t aware that there was even an issue for 20 minutes: as my objective was listed as “???” and I assumed there was some sort of trigger I needed to hit before realizing that I was stuck in a glitch. There is a day one patch coming at launch (December 13) with fixes and quality of life upgrades, but I did not have access to it, and cannot confirm it addresses everything.

Sounds like a good game that's potentially held back by day 1 bugs. Reviewers didn't have access to the day 1 patch though so hopefully that patches addresses most of these issues.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finishing Norco then going right into this one.

I never expected a masterpiece. A few of the reviews say it plays well, which is great news. The humor part is going to be deeply subjective with some people loving it, some people hating it, and some people being a mix of both.

Bugs are always a bummer. It's at the point that it barely makes sense to play anything these days until 1-2 months after release. It usually improves. We'll see, I might play Sonic first and come back if the bugs seem bad.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Already pre-downloaded. Give me all the Roiland banter.

I wonder what that one 'weird' technical issue John from DF is talking about on twitter. If it's game breaking or not.

Jaybe

Looking forward to this on Game Pass and hope it’s a good time. Curious what the game length is. I’m surprised it doesn’t even have a price on Steam (as of posting).

A 3/10, lmao. Always got to be an odd man out, I guess. Like must be in the rules of the universe or something.

At least they admit the humor is just not their taste. Not sure a game should be punished because of that, tho.

I guess that’s my issue with reviews. Like after so long, you’d think there would at least be some agreement on broad premises for what you’re critiquing. Like some abstract broad agreement on what it is you’re doing if you’re reviewing something.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Didn't read all the reviews.. any mention on 60fps option?
And how long untill you can play it on Game Pass for XSX? Thanks. :)

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
What other games look like this?
I don't think any other game does, but it's hard to call it risky when it's basically the same (terrible) art-style of a popular ((adult)) cartoon which was already generic and bland enough. Look at the third post above yours to know which one I am referring to.

Gamepass keeps delivering that quality.
Yeah I was happy to resub back for Chained Echoes, but yikes. Found a bug so bad I literally can’t progress because I get 3 story spoiler cutscenes in a row and then when it goes to load I get a black screen. Apparently a patch is coming and it’s only in the Xbox version. Lucky me!

jaysius

Banned
Glad it's on Gamepass the first 15 minutes on IGN looked really fun, annoying because of the awful humour.

It seems like a game that's mediocre that relies heavily on people liking the incel/neck beard Rick and Morty humor.

Last edited:

splattered

Might eventually play this... strange that reviews acknowledge a day one patch that will fix serious issues currently holding back the score... yet they "reviewed" it anyway? Ok..

jaysius

Banned
pretty harsh from Eurogamer too, i expected this to be like it or hate it based on the humor:

I have so many games to play that i'll likely try this in 6 months to a year from now since it's on GP

That person was really fixated on the humor not hitting, they sound like they liked the actual gameplay parts.

It's like Outer Worlds with less whiny bitches and better combat from the sounds of that review.

Last edited:

Spyxos

I really hope it has a German dub. Reading subtitles and playing an ego shooter at the same time is nothing that i am capable of. Especially if they come like every few seconds.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This is one of those games where you know if it’s for you by watching a trailer. It sucks when reviewers are forced to review content they don’t like.

It’s cool that people have different tastes. Not everything can be for everyone. If I was in charge of assigning reviewers to a game, I might not assign a game by the guys that make Rick and Morty, if they don’t like that humor.

Just like I wouldn’t assign a reviewer that doesn’t like turn based games to review the next Octopath Traveler.

Chukhopops

Watched a few reviews, didn’t expect much but will give it a try on PC.

The only question is whether it is Rick & Morty season 1/2 humour or Rick & Morty season 3 and above.

jaysius

Banned
Am the only one kinda impressed by the graphic for an AA budget title?

It kinda has that discount cg look.
This looks 10x more competent than that piece of shit Gotham Knight game which was supposedly AAA but really was budget AAA... which might in someone's mind convert to AA but really it was a shit show, budget AAA is a new game type that fucks the fans and has awful performance and gameplay.

Top Bottom