• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

I had the game pre-loaded but was not prompted for any updates when I booted it.

Hmm, wonder if there is a day 1 patch or if it was already merged into my preload.
I dunno whats happening lol, I played on PC some, went an ate dinner came back and tried to launch it and it said it needed to update.

Shits downloading the whole game again lol, i hate the windows store/gamepass launcher at times, other times its cool.
k7EzHRR.jpg

Edit okay it just launched, no way i downloaded 47gb that fast all over again, maybe it applied a patch and just showed the wrong size?

As far as the game goes ima huge fan of Roilands writing, me an the wife been in here laughing the whole time like we're watching Rick/Morty an his other stuff lol..shader compilation issue seems to be present, wonder what that guy from DF gone say

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I was thinking about renewing my PC Game Pass sub for this one, as it expired a few weeks ago, but now I'm not too sure.

Puscifer

If this is criticality hated but audience loved I'm all for it. I'm trying to get my game room back in order first, though so I guess I'll check on it this weekend and see what happens.

I have a long overdue 3 month gamepass trial and this is the first thing I've seen outside of Void Bastards that has my full attention for it.

Last edited:

Darchaos

I see that many people over at era liking it and that makes other people at era, lets say, confused: "I guess if a lot of you all here like it this guy’s comedy isn’t that mean spirited or morally terrible? I only knew two (very open) R&M fans irl but they were both absolutey awful, miserable human beings with the most evil views imaginable, so it kind of turned me off the show and this guy in general. Kind of interested in trying out the game"

Imagine beeing this guy/girl and going around everyday with the pants in a twist al the time....and seeking other opinions on if it is moraly ok to play it.

Jaybe

Mostly liking it so far. Don’t get a lot of actually funny games, and at least a few jokes are landing for me. Obviously I killed the ‘kid’ lol. And the ‘not very feminist of you’ joke. The stuttering is rough though and has me a bit nauseous tbh. Gunplay is also not too satisfying. Hope a stable 60fps patch is on the way asap because it could really use it.

Jaybe

I see that many people over at era liking it and that makes other people at era, lets say, confused: "I guess if a lot of you all here like it this guy’s comedy isn’t that mean spirited or morally terrible? I only knew two (very open) R&M fans irl but they were both absolutey awful, miserable human beings with the most evil views imaginable, so it kind of turned me off the show and this guy in general. Kind of interested in trying out the game"

Imagine beeing this guy/girl and going around everyday with the pants in a twist al the time....and seeking other opinions on if it is moraly ok to play it.
Just the very act of purchasing a game and engaging in capitalism is upsetting to some of them

LordOfChaos

The intro was clever. For a second I was like, did I pick the right thing, but then the Roiland started.

Just minutes in but fun so far

Also sort of funny that the intro excuses any bugs as references to games with bugs

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Katajx

Gold Member
It’s new, and it’s clearly more at an Indie level than AAA. I’m not going to look at this through the same lens as a God of War or something on that level.

Gotta give ‘em room to grow and if you expect these to be pure perfection and things to be bug free then you are setting yourself up for disappointment every time.

That is not game development.

Hestar69

anyone playing on the sereies x how is the games for you...feels like 30/sub 30 at times.. Other than that,the game is super funny so far and WAY over the top lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The VO is great, it has a very improvisational feel like the space-tv-ad episodes in R&M.

Gonna dig into it proper tomorrow.

And yeah, seems like the game has full keyboard and mouse support on console, for the 2 people who like it that way I guess.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m really enjoying it. Does seem to be barely held together on the Series X. Mostly 30 fps, but the resolution sure isn’t 4k.

SJRB

Gold Member
The humor style carries this entire game so if Rick & Morty-style jokes isn't up to your liking you're gonna hate this game.

I really liked what I saw. There's a lot of fourth wall-breaking, self-referential humor and a surprising attention to detail like conversations with npc's and full tv-shows you can watch.

There's definitely way more thought and care put into this than may seem at first glance.

TVexperto

The humor style carries this entire game so if Rick & Morty-style jokes isn't up to your liking you're gonna hate this game.

I really liked what I saw. There's a lot of fourth wall-breaking, self-referential humor and a surprising attention to detail like conversations with npc's and full tv-shows you can watch.

There's definitely way more thought and care put into this than may seem at first glance.
yep, the game is written very well, not sure why so many people are hating it because of the voice, also its not talking all the time there are a lot of quiet moments

MarkyG

Reminds me of Conker humour. So long as it plays well, I'm all in. :) It's on GamePass so nothing to lose, apart from time and brain cells.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Denton

How is the PC version running?

Can I get stable 60 without crashes on 3080Ti/5800X3D on some decent settings?

Any shader compilation problems?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I dunno whats happening lol, I played on PC some, went an ate dinner came back and tried to launch it and it said it needed to update.

Shits downloading the whole game again lol, i hate the windows store/gamepass launcher at times, other times its cool.
k7EzHRR.jpg

Edit okay it just launched, no way i downloaded 47gb that fast all over again, maybe it applied a patch and just showed the wrong size?

As far as the game goes ima huge fan of Roilands writing, me an the wife been in here laughing the whole time like we're watching Rick/Morty an his other stuff lol..shader compilation issue seems to be present, wonder what that guy from DF gone say

Got that same issue with couple of games a month ago. The pre-install system on the Xbox PC app is a broken mess.

The frame rate means it's unplayable for me on Series X.

A bit of stutter on PC but I'll take it for 120fps 99% of the time vs whatever is happening on console.

Stafford

Yeah, I'm putting this away until they patch things, sigh.

The very first level is anything but smooth but at first I thought this was intentional maybe. But as soon as you go outside the micro stutters (frame pacing?) are way too frequent.

baphomet

That's pc gamepass/xbox app for you.

I wouldn't have cared if I were at home, but I specifically downloaded it on my Steam Deck so I could play at work.

So thanks to that shit I had to download 47GB over 5G.

Performance on PC isn't great. It's basically locked at 160fps but stutters randomly. It's playable, but I'd prefer it didn't do that.

Last edited:

Stafford

I’m really enjoying it. Does seem to be barely held together on the Series X. Mostly 30 fps, but the resolution sure isn’t 4k.

Yeah, it looks somewhat blurry almost, certainly not as crisp as I expected. Noticed that especially when I went outside and saw the grass. And that performance....what a shame. But yeah, I'm gonna wait for sure.

Top Bottom