• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High quality Witcher 3 screenshots (from Elder Blood Trailer)

No it's not. It's done all the time. Go into my AC:Unity thread and you'll see dozens of comparisons to it.. from UC4 to Driveclub. It's a fair comparison.

We are seeing PC screenshots already. So what's your point?

No it's not, the fact that you did all those comparisons doesn't mean it's valid. You may disagree with me, and I you.

My point is that it's glorious, what is confusing you?

You implied comparing W3 (open world game) to LoTF (linear game) is invalid?

I am not implying, I am saying it outright.
I have never said LotF doesn't look good but only when the CDPR team put all their effort in making a linear game like LotF can comparisons be made fairly.

Witcher 3 has vegetation, while Lords is barren?

LOL! You must know that's a design choice right? Not that it looks worse because it doesn't have it.

Not sure what you're trying to tell me with those shots, beside the fact that the PC in Lords has spiky/frilly armor and the terrain looks awful.

Not as awful as those W3 terrain shots.

Look you can have your own opinion all you want. I love Witcher like the next person, but I'm not going to artificially make it "look" better than other RPGs just because it's Witcher. I have owned and beaten Witcher 2 and have Dragon Age:Inquistion and Lords of the Fallen on my PC. I can easily tell that DA:I falls behind LoTF by a big margin.. and looking at these W3 shots look extremely similar in design, lighting, and detail to DA:I. There is no denying that.

i dont have the game, but from the screens ive seen in the pc SS thread, and the couple videos i watched on gamersyde, i find it mostly mediocre. the ray marched vol light and particles look very nice but everything else looks meh.

Well, you can't really comment on the game's graphics now can you?

I am not implying, I am saying it outright.
I have never said LotF doesn't look good but only when the CDPR team put all their effort in making a linear game like LotF can comparisons be made fairly.

You can't tell someone they can't make comparisons to a game unless they are both similar in type. That's ludicrous!

Yes. Yes, we can. Same way you had no problem talking about the graphics of DriveClub and Uncharted in other threads.

Get the argument straight.

People were going on about how a demo is better than a released game (on PC for that matter, not to mention comparing it to CG movies like Avatar and Pixar films).. I had to defend that.

Driveclub - I said I would buy the game in order to make a more informative opinion on it.

Momentary

Banned
The game looks great, but I feel like A LOT of effects are missing. I'm hoping that there will be some special NVIDIA experience trailer with everything turned on to showcase PC graphical technology.

You can't tell someone they can't make comparisons to a game unless they are both similar in type. That's ludicrous!

Quote me on where I say you can't? I said it's stupid. I didn't say you can't.
Also you say if we don't have the game then we can't comment on the graphics?
So you say those bullshots in PC screenshots thread, which were taken by beastly machines, are not valid for a person to determine if a game looks good or not?
What if I buy LotF right now and I come back here and say it looks like shit, what then?

Vamphuntr

It doesn't look that impressive. Still really pretty though. DA I on max with fade touched textures looks really good too. And it seems areas have a similar scope.

comparision with old pics

The old pics look superb, they are great. But let's observe why. Be aware of how incredibly prepared the pics are in point of view and focus, balanced composition, color, lightning, chosen time of day, etc. They seem done by a professional photograph!
In the new pics there isn't that spectacular autummnish forest to compare, nor there is a sunset to beautify everything.. And of course it looks better with the super SSAA.

Haunted

The fur on the skull guy's armour looked so last-gen. After all the L'Oreal Wolves hype, that downgrade stings the most.

Zarx

The Witcher 3 is a massive open world game with a lot of dynamic elements. And has to be able to handle cities with dozens of NPCs on screen at once. Lords of the Fallen has small levels and half a dozen NPCs at most. It's not really a fair comparison.

Paracelsus

Not even remotely as impressed as I was when I saw Ultra TW2 screens. Waiting for Durante's hands-on technical analysis.

Asbear

Banned
If you can't tell by the screenshots, then perhaps you need to buy the game and play it. These are PC screenshots with everything set to max (so not downgraded like the console versions). You'll need a 4G VRAM GPU in order to set textures to Very High. You'll notice all the details and the beautiful volume lighting, physics, etc.. right away.

To me, visually, it's the best looking RPG to date. Some aspects even blowing away AC:Unity (i.e. character models in game, physics, and FX).:

eyDLMLeEp

p9CpMxwAp

ipEZhzG9p

idgUkAHWp

Just because it was made by an Indie company doesn't mean it looks inferior to AAA titles.

To me the artstyle is generic and the graphics look slightly better than last-gen. Witcher 3 looks much more vast, maybe a little plain, but this is a hardcore RPG compared to a straight-up action-RPG. Witcher was always about the questing, the story and character progression. LotF as I'm aware is about the combat and progressing through the areas/levels and character progression. Not the story, not the questing.

We're talking about two entirely different games here.

Virdix

I really didn't care for this trailer, don't get me wrong I have the CE coming day one. However, when I watch the other trailers I get chills, this one just felt weaker to me.

Quote me on where I say you can't? I said it's stupid. I didn't say you can't.
Also you say if we don't have the game then we can't comment on the graphics?
So you say those bullshots in PC screenshots thread, which were taken by beastly machines, are not valid for a person to determine if a game looks good or not?
What if I buy LotF right now and I come back here and say it looks like shit, what then?

You'll at least have a leg to stand on.

To me the artstyle is generic and the graphics look slightly better than last-gen. Witcher 3 looks much more vast, maybe a little plain, but this is a hardcore RPG compared to a straight-up action-RPG. Witcher was always about the questing, the story and character progression. LotF as I'm aware is about the combat and progressing through the areas/levels and character progression. Not the story, not the questing.

We're talking about two entirely different games here.

W3 is vast. It's open-world. That makes it look better? I'm not comparing the gameplay of each but it's graphics.

LoTF has a generic artstyle. I agree. But the graphics being slightly better than last-gen? Nah. Not even close. The mere fact that you can't really name a currently release RPG that can beat it visually is not really adding weight to your argument either.

Asbear

Banned
I really didn't care for this trailer, don't get me wrong I have the CE coming day one. However, when I watch the other trailers I get chills, this one just felt weaker to me.

Not surprising. According to CDPR they quickly compiled this trailer because they had too short notice up until TGAs, so the trailer became a bit more... amaturish. In the end if the story in the game is good and the gameplay is the same shown at E3 I think all is well.

Like Witcher 2, some parts of the graphics will likely be mindblowing whereas others will look dated.

W3 is vast. It's open-world. That makes it look better? I'm not comparing the gameplay of each but it's graphics.

LoTF has a generic artstyle. I agree. But the graphics being slightly better than last-gen? Nah. Not even close. The mere fact that you can't really name a currently release RPG that can beat it visually is not really adding weight to your argument either.

Are you seriously saying you think LotF looks better than Dragon Age Inquisition for example? LotF runs on what, Unreal 3 or 4 right? Very noticeable. The graphics look kind of rounded and meaty but they would NEVER capture the sense of grittyness and realism the Witcher is going for.

Virdix

Not surprising. According to CDPR they quickly compiled this trailer because they had too short notice up until TGAs, so the trailer became a bit more... amaturish. In the end if the story in the game is good and the gameplay is the same shown at E3 I think all is well.

Like Witcher 2, some parts of the graphics will likely be mindblowing whereas others will look dated.

Ah, I wasn't aware of this, thank you for the reply!

Seanspeed

Banned
Get the argument straight.

People were going on about how a demo is better than a released game (on PC for that matter, not to mention comparing it to CG movies like Avatar and Pixar films).. I had to defend that.

Driveclub - I said I would buy the game in order to make a more informative opinion on it.
You were still making all sorts of comments and opinions on the graphics of these games without owning them.

...but you don't have Witcher 3...
That should have been the obvious response! lol

Vitafit

Banned
Do they put 1st Priority on the PC Version aka optimizing the crap out of it or are they mainly focusing on the X1 Version cause of the marketing deal and ignore the other 2?
You know like its mostly done with PC Versions these days.

I would like to get this game but i won't invest in unnecessary new expensive hardware if they don't put 1st priority on an optimized PC Version and just hope the people accept their fate and overpower the mess like Ubisoft is hoping for with every game.
And the PS4 Version is out of the question cause i don't trust someone having a marketing deal with the competition.

I remember CDProjektRed as a PC Quality Dev but some things may have changed.
Did they say anything?
Oh and i don't want to install stuff from Fans and people like Durante to make the game look good.I want the best piece of optimized game i can get.Did they say anything about aiming for that?

Bedlam

Pretty much as I've been saying - the game will look better than the #massivedowngrade folks think. But it will also not be quite as gorgeous as 'must be Xbox footage' folks think, either.

Character models in general look amazing. Environmental quality doesn't look nearly as high in some areas, though.
Pretty much.

It looks a little bit more "flat" than in the earlier trailers. Maybe the lighting isn't as complex anymore or some shaders and/or ambient effects are missing.

Zarx

The fur on the skull guy's armour looked so last-gen. After all the L'Oreal Wolves hype, that downgrade stings the most.

Yea I hope that Nvidia Hairworks makes it into the final build. Tho given it's also MIA in Far Cry 4, maybe it has issues at the moment.

its probably a combo of them realizing consoles(and most pcs) wouldnt be able to handle a game of such scope at the level of detail shown in the early media and them not having the time and/or budget to create it anyway. IMO this is pretty much the basic cause for the majority of downgrades seen in video games when compared to their early trailers

Asbear

Banned
Pretty much.

It looks a little bit more "flat" than in the earlier trailers. Maybe the lighting isn't as complex anymore or some shaders and/or ambient effects are missing.

Personally I think everything seen since the 35 minutes E3 demo is gonna be representative of the final product, XB1 version or not, but the very early trailers and the VGx one were all polished up and maybe even CG or target renders that do paint an overblown and false depiction of what it's gonna look like. There's also lots of post-fx filters on those early videos.

Are you seriously saying you think LotF looks better than Dragon Age Inquisition for example?

It does, I'm sorry.. but it really does.

LotF runs on what, Unreal 3 or 4 right?

No. It's a built-in house game engine made for next-gen. And it's doing a lot of things DA:I isn't.

The graphics look kind of rounded and meaty but they would NEVER capture the sense of grittyness and realism the Witcher is going for.

Sorry, but I disagree from what I've seen. W3 looks almost identical to DA:I in every way. Even the same color palette.

Show me your copy of tw3 then?

It doesn't take a special person to notice the similarities between W3 and DA:I no? Let's start by asking this: Do you agree that DA:I looks similar to W3? Or vice-versa?

If we can agree with that.. then we can deduce to comparing W3 to LoTF. DA:I is out now.. and I own it. LoTF is out now and I own that. If you agree that W3 is similar in 'look' to DA:I then I can at least compare my copy of DA:I to LoTF. It isn't as accurate as owning W3, but it's damn sure closer than comparing youtube videos to LoTF.

PFD

Lords of the Fallen definitely has great graphics, but the game is not beautiful. The artstyle just doesn't look very attractive.

CDPR have always had great artists, and their games tend to have a very cohesive and aesthetically appealing art style. It looks nothing like Dragon Age IMO.

It doesn't take a special person to notice the similarities between W3 and DA:I no? Let's start by asking this: Do you agree that DA:I looks similar to W3? Or vice-versa?

If we can agree with that.. then we can deduce to comparing W3 to LoTF. DA:I is out now.. and I own it. LoTF is out now and I own that. If you agree that W3 is similar in 'look' to DA:I then I can at least compare my copy of DA:I to LoTF. It isn't as accurate as owning W3, but it's damn sure closer than comparing youtube videos to LoTF.

fRFjv6b.gif

???

how is lords of the fallen impressive?

I don't know why he is saying that...Lords of the Fallen doesn't look particularly impressive. W3 looks much better. He seems to be the only person who is blown away by LoTF.

Also, some great responses in here haha.

Yoda

How many threads do we need for this subject? Yeah the trailer @ VGA made it look far worse than it actually was, there is some reduction in shaders/lightning but given that its an open-world game they were bound to run into problems. (they've already cut one of the planned zones to make the launch date).

Shredderi

How many threads do we need for this subject? Yeah the trailer @ VGA made it look far worse than it actually was, there is some reduction in shaders/lightning but given that its an open-world game they were bound to run into problems. (they've already cut one of the planned zones to make the launch date).

Even after the delay? :'(

Lords of the Fallen doesn't look bad, but it's not amazing either.

Sorry for the shots with CA. I didn't play much after the patch that allows us to remove it.

Fact is, LotF is extremely limited in scope. There's some great art design in there though. It's hard to say it looks better than a game that takes place and a fully open world with extremely different environments. It's mostly bleak and dark, with pretty narrow corridors from start to finish.

Top Bottom