• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

highrider’s thread of e-bikes/moped/motorcycle thingys.

highrider

Banned
So I’ve just gotten my shipping number I’ve ordered a Super 73, galaxy black S2.

NfYSP9P.jpg

These can operate in class 1-4 as bikes or pedal assisted e-bikes, but also have throttles and can do about 33 on a flat surface. I’ve been fascinated by these for about a year now and I think you’ll see these becoming more popular in urban and suburban settings. They have a range of about 40 miles under throttle control, and up to 75 with pedal assist conserving battery.

I’m an automobile painter by trade and I’m fascinated by modding them. My son is entering college it just made sense to cut my costs, he needs a whip more than I do. Just wanted to have a thread if there might be anyone else with interest in these. I’m going to be doing some cool stuff with mods I’ll post. Video of a really fantastic job an artist did with one.

Burger

I have a Vanmoof S2 Electric.

sixtysix-vanmoof-electrified-s2-bike.jpg

Fucking love it. Cycle to work every day, so much nicer than the tube. I think the software, both app and bike side could do with a fair amount of improvement.

Pros:
-Fast enough
-Decent battery
-Looks great
-Very comfortable
-Alarmed, hidden lock
-Integrated lights
-Good support

Cons:
-Sometimes doesn't like unlocking
-Changing assist levels sucks
-Can occasionally wake up with no assist, although rare
-Massive power transformer

highrider

Banned
Can that bike operate on just throttle power or is it purely pedal assist? Love the minimalist style of it.

Last edited:

Even Harley Davidson has electric bikes now. But the range is like 100 miles, isn't that awful?

Yes. Especially considering that you probably wont be able to charge it anywhere you go and that 100 mile range is under the best conditions. Bikes largely have the same issues that cars have: not enough range, lacking infrastructure, and charge times that are just too long. I actually really like the Livewire but it just doesnt make sense to anybody who wants to do any kind of distance traveling (yeah yeah, the Long Way Down but they had support crew the entire way) or even an average day of joy riding.

Just for comparison sake, my old Ducati 1098, which is a superbike and has almost no considerations for distance riding or anything like that, could get easily 120 miles to the tank before needing to be refilled, which took about 3 minutes.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Yes. Especially considering that you probably wont be able to charge it anywhere you go and that 100 mile range is under the best conditions. Bikes largely have the same issues that cars have: not enough range, lacking infrastructure, and charge times that are just too long. I actually really like the Livewire but it just doesnt make sense to anybody who wants to do any kind of distance traveling (yeah yeah, the Long Way Down but they had support crew the entire way) or even an average day of joy riding.

Just for comparison sake, my old Ducati 1098, which is a superbike and has almost no considerations for distance riding or anything like that, could get easily 120 miles to the tank before needing to be refilled, which took about 3 minutes.

Yeah I mean these things have decent range but it’s strictly suburban/urban tooling around town. Which at my age I’m really angling towards just reducing my load in general. I’m always working on cars. It’s cool to me because it’s like motorcycle lite lol. Ngl around here I’m scared of the other drivers I’m super defensive. ( DC area )

Last edited:
Top Bottom