• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary: Must elect "a president with a deep, personal commitment to Israel’s future"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzanadra

I think future generations will look back at this whole conflict the same way we look back at apartheid in South Africa. I mean, we condemn that and we ask "what the fuck was the world thinking", but now that we have a similar situation, we will be left to explain to future generations why this was allowed to happen for so long.

I think future generations will look back at this whole conflict the same way we look back at apartheid in South Africa. I mean, we condemn that and we ask "what the fuck was the world thinking", but now that we have a similar situation, we will be left to explain to future generations why this was allowed to happen for so long.

I mean, even with the similarities, there are differences too. For one thing, the racism going on on both sides is the result of decades of tension and war between two groups of people, rather than the idea of racial superiority

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is relevant because?

Alright, that was a terrible mistake, I guess. I was just trying to illustrate that whatever the candidates have done in the past, it's their current and future actions that we need to be wary about. But I guess I missed the mark badly.

But still the fact that remains is simple: we have the one person that has the biggest shot of becoming the US president stated, in strong and definitive terms, that every effort that anyone will do to have Israel account for its mistakes needs to be quashed.

It's just really worrying. How anyone can just hand-wave that as "she's just doing what everyone else is doing" is equally worrying as well.

Alright, that was a terrible mistake, I guess. I was just trying to illustrate that whatever the candidates have done in the past, it's their current and future actions that we need to be wary about. But I guess I missed the mark badly.

But still the fact that remains is simple: we have the one person that has the biggest shot of becoming the US president stated, in strong and definitive terms, that every effort that anyone will do to have Israel account for its mistakes need to be quashed.

It's just really worrying.

I mean, it's also a stance that's being taken during election season, and I know for a fact that many American Jews take the stance of Israel very, very seriously in elections.

Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to share this every time someone wonders why I'm going to feel like shit if I have to vote for Hilldawg over BernieBro in November.

Anion

Damn I knew this, so I'm not surprised but it pisses me off. Damn lobbies are too strong. It's as if the country is bought

*cough*

Oh wait it is

I mean she would have won anyways, I would think if she stood neutral at the least. Like this is stupid

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I mean, it's also a stance that's being taken during election season, and I know for a fact that many American Jews take the stance of Israel very, very seriously in elections.

The stance that agrees that the US needs to keep playing a blind guardian to everything that Israel has done, is doing, and will be doing is just wrong.

We even get the "asking for Israel to have a sense of responsibility" = "anti-semitism" rhetoric in her speech. Complete with the implication that the only one that needs to stop doing the wrong thing is just Palestine.

Ain't that a lovely thing.

The stance that agrees that the US needs to keep playing a blind guardian to everything that Israel has done, is doing, and will be doing is just wrong.

We even get the "asking for Israel to have a sense of responsibility" = "anti-semitism" rhetoric in her speech. Complete with the implication that the only one that needs to stop doing the wrong thing is just Palestine.

Ain't that a lovely thing.

My point was that it's not necessarily fair to take this as her actual personal stance and not just something she's saying for the sake of the election

This is just lip service. Anyone who doesn't "show" commitment would be considered unelectable regardless of people's personal feelings about the matter.

It's a semi democracy (ask the Muslim, Arab or other minority populations of Israel if they think it's a democracy) that has enacted some of the worst human rights violations in our time, is an apartheid state, that is systematically colonising another state by stealing more and more of its land, displacing millions, imprisoning thousands without due process, illegally occupying territory, oppressing an entire people, and more. Bloody great democracy to be championing and defending right?

Lest we forget that it's leaders actually privately ridicule the US for being so easily swayed to Israel's will, and about being lied to, and even sell American military secrets to China with little repercussion.

Great friend and ally.

They also spy aggressively on their "friend and ally" and we just let them.

soleil

Banned
My point was that it's not necessarily fair to take this as her actual personal stance and not just something she's saying for the sake of the election
Exactly.

When Hillary says something good, it's her honest stance regardless of any past statements to the contrary.

When Hillary says something bad, it's not her honest stance and she's only saying it for the sake of the election.

Get it right, people.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well considering how the US has conducted itself so far in regards to everything Israel--except for a few blips under Obama's administration and even that can be considered relatively benign blips--it's only fair that some would find that this speech of her about Israel as a really worrying sign of what to expect when she gets that president chair.

Exactly.

When Hillary says something good, it's her honest stance regardless of any past statements to the contrary.

When Hillary says something bad, it's not her honest stance and she's only saying it for the sake of the election.

Get it right, people.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that you shouldn't just take any stance at face value during election season

Well considering how the US has conducted itself so far in regards to everything Israel--except for a few blips under Obama's administration--it's only fair that some would find that this speech of her about Israel as a really worrying sign of what to expect when she gets that president chair.

Not like Hilary was Secretary of State under the Obama administration or anything

Valhelm

contribute something
About that...neither one of them is an angel here...

I don't think he's wrong. Much like how unconscious misogyny underlies some of the gut opposition to Clinton, Israel is treated differently than any other state in the international community. While the Likud party has committed some absolutely evil acts against the Palestinians, states like China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, or even the United States are just as complicit in similar crimes. However, there aren't mass protests on college campuses calling for the US to end their support for Turkey.

Criticizing the Israeli government is very good, but criticism does not exist in a vacuum. Anti-Semitism is a plausible reason for why Israel is held to a higher standard than other states who kill or injure civilians en masse.

Goodstyle

Exactly.

Get it right, people.

Oh please, whenever Hillary says anything people jump down her throat, even if it's crap the candidate they're supporting says. Try to remember that GAF is literally the only site where people post where Hillary has any support at all. Right now this article is front page on reddit's politics page. And there's a bunch more just like it.

If Hillary so much as talks too loudly, she gets shit for that. Don't try to turn her into someone people are handling with kid gloves.

And yet here we are, with her saying those things in her speech.

You mean like any other candidate who wants to have a chance to actually get elected. (And before bringing up Bernie, lets remember he made his stance today, and his chances of getting the democratic nomination at this point are incredibly miniscule anyways)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You mean like any other candidate who wants to have a chance to actually get elected. (And before bringing up Bernie, lets remember he made his stance today, and his chances of getting the democratic nomination at this point are incredibly miniscule anyways)

I don't get how "everyone is doing the same thing" is a fine justification of actually doing the wrong thing.

Or how can anyone can be so be 100% sure that it's just an election game and not her actual stance about the whole thing. Well, no one's actually know what's "inside her heart", for sure, but the fact remains that she has a strong statement out there reaffirming that kind of stance, and that's one major point for the "people worrying" camp and not-so-much for the "oh she's just playing games" camp.

I don't get how "everyone is doing the same thing" is a fine justification of actually doing the wrong thing.

Or how can anyone can be so be 100% sure that it's just an election game and not her actual stance about the whole thing. Well, no one's actually know what's "inside her heart", for sure, but the fact remains that she has a strong statement out there reaffirming the wrong stance, and that's one major point for the "people worrying" camp and not-so-much for the "oh she's just playing games" camp.

I'm not saying it's justification. I'm saying that we really don't know either way because its a key issue for many Jews that can make or break a candidate for them, and not likely to hurt her much with anyone else.

Tesseract

Banned
Hillary likes Israel. I think you just have to come to terms with that.

cristiano-ronaldo-jews.gif

ApharmdX

Banned
Man, this is bad. In Middle Eastern foreign policy Hillary has substantially worse positions than Obama. Obama at least made a pretense of being even-handed.

That awkward feeling when your "liberal" presidential candidate supports an apartheid state...

Wow, is this true?

http://www.thejewishweek.com/special-sections/celebrate/married-mediterranean-not-israel

Israel’s religious authorities — the only entities authorized to perform weddings in Israel — are prohibited from marrying couples unless both partners share the same religion. To have their marriages recognized by the Ministry of the Interior for the purpose of spousal benefits, mixed-religion couples must have civil marriages abroad.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/why-is-there-no-civil-marriage-in-israel/

After Israel’s 1948 independence, Israel too maintained the system, citing among other considerations its obligations to the country’s minorities.

As a consequence, marriages in Israel are performed only through religious institutions. Jewish couples must marry through the Chief Rabbinate, whereas Catholics, Druze and Muslims all marry through their own state-sanctioned and publicly funded religious legal systems.

The result: any couple whose marriage is not in keeping with the religious law of their respective religions, or who belong to a religious tradition that does not have its own state hierarchy, simply falls outside the boundaries of marriages recognized by the Israeli state.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man, this is bad. In Middle Eastern foreign policy Hillary has substantially worse positions than Obama. Obama at least made a pretense of being even-handed.

That awkward feeling when your "liberal" presidential candidate supports an apartheid state...

You do realize Obama said the same sort of stuff while he was running and that Clinton was his Secretary of State right?

Valhelm

contribute something
Wow, is this true?

Yeah, it's pretty fucked up. When Israel was founded, a state Rabbinate was set up that determined morality law. Because Israel is pretty heavily Orthodox, morality law in Israel is usually pretty conservative. It's so bad that over 10% of Israelis actually get legally married while traveling abroad, because a marriage can be obtained in Cyprus in Turkey without the hassle of Orthodox approval.

There's been a lot of push to remove the lawmaking capacity of the Rabbinate, but as the Ultra-Orthodox population grows, so does support for Israeli's theocratic trappings.

I don't think he's wrong. Much like how unconscious misogyny underlies some of the gut opposition to Clinton, Israel is treated differently than any other state in the international community. While the Likud party has committed some absolutely evil acts against the Palestinians, states like China, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, or even the United States are just as complicit in similar crimes. However, there aren't mass protests on college campuses calling for the US to end their support for Turkey.

Criticizing the Israeli government is very good, but criticism does not exist in a vacuum. Anti-Semitism is a plausible reason for why Israel is held to a higher standard than other states who kill or injure civilians en masse.

So what you're saying is, just as Hillary supporters like to throw out accusations of sexism as an all-purpose accusation to stifle criticism of Hillary, Israel supporters like to throw out accusations of anti-Semitism as an all-purpose accusation to stifle criticism of Israel?

You know what, you're absolutely right.

There is more criticism of Israel in the US than of China, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey because the US gives Israel billions of dollars of military aid every year for free. We don't give China, Saudi Arabia, or Turkey free money every year to buy our top-end military hardware. Hell, we don't even sell our best military hardware to those countries. Israel has always received special treatment by the US ever since it's founding, that's why it gets specifically targeted for criticism. I'm not specifically up to date to what Israel receives compared to other countries but I would not be surprised if Israel gets access to things that even our NATO allies, hell even members of Five Eyes (which Israel is NOT a member of), do not have access to.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm not saying it's justification. I'm saying that we really don't know either way because its a key issue for many Jews that can make or break a candidate for them, and not likely to hurt her much with anyone else.

Well, so much for a "strong character" then if she's saying those things just to get more votes or to keep herself afloat in the election.

In many ways, that is even more pathetic. Although I guess politics is indeed a world where hypocrites can truly thrive.

Well, so much for a "strong character" then if she's saying those things just to get more votes or to keep herself afloat in the election.

In many ways, that is even more pathetic. Although I guess politics is indeed a world where hypocrites can truly thrive.

I mean, like it or not this is how the world works. You literally can't become the president of the US without doing stuff like that. Honestly, I'm a realist, so I'd rather take the easiest, least risky route that doesn't actually hurt anyone to achieve my goals, rather than stick unfailingly to a bunch of high minded ideals that will ultimately get me nowhere, and stop me from achieving anything

ApharmdX

Banned
You do realize Obama said the same sort of stuff while he was running and that Clinton was his Secretary of State right?

In office Obama didn't fawn over Israel like this, and he set the stage for a more distant US/Israel relationship. All Hillary had to do was to continue his direction. There's a ton of shit that Israel does that's extremely unpalatable. Younger liberals see this, and are generally not coming down on the side of Israel. In fact, I bet the majority of Americans support a two-state solution?

Israel is a bad ally with a great lobby. They don't deserve the level of support that we give them. It's a shame that Hillary is too much of a puppet to acknowledge this.

Valhelm

contribute something
So what you're saying is, just as Hillary supporters like to throw out accusations of sexism as an all-purpose accusation to stifle criticism of Hillary, Israel supporters like to throw out accusations of anti-Semitism as an all-purpose accusation to stifle criticism of Israel?

You know what, you're absolutely right.

There is more criticism of Israel in the US than of China, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey because the US gives Israel billions of dollars of military aid every year for free. We don't give China, Saudi Arabia, or Turkey free money every year to buy our top-end military hardware. Hell, we don't even sell our best military hardware to those countries. Israel has always received special treatment by the US ever since it's founding, that's why it gets specifically targeted for criticism. I'm not specifically up to date to what Israel receives compared to other countries but I would not be surprised if Israel gets access to things that even our NATO allies, hell even members of Five Eyes (which Israel is NOT a member of), do not have access to.

We actually do give substantial military aid to Turkey, which they mostly use to kill Kurdish activists. And while we don't give Saudi Arabia any regular aid, we've been selling our weaponry to them for decades. Again, much of this weaponry is used to kill civilians in Yemen.

You're correct that we should be more withholding with fiscal and military aid to Israel, especially as the Likud party refuses to adopt a more liberal foreign policy toward the Palestinians.

In office Obama didn't fawn over Israel like this, and he set the stage for a more distant US/Israel relationship. All Hillary had to do was to continue his direction. There's a ton of shit that Israel does that's extremely unpalatable. Younger liberals see this, and are generally not coming down on the side of Israel. In fact, I bet the majority of Americans support a two-state solution?

Israel is a bad ally with a great lobby. They don't deserve the level of support that we give them. It's a shame that Hillary is too much of a puppet to acknowledge this.

The point is that every candidate says this stuff to get elected, because the people for whom this is an issue that can actually effect their vote are overwhelmingly of the "support Israel unconditionally" camp. And again, why ignore that Hilary Clinton was Secretary of State (The cabinet position in charge of foreign affairs) under Obama while he was in office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom