• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary: Trump embraces the alt-right, a fringe racist element. Enough is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say it was unique to the US? Brexit makes just as little sense as Trump. Zero.

Also, the UK used to be the nation we all looked up to since they were pragmatic first. Pain in the butt at times, sure, but pragmatic. The general image of the UK has hit rock bottom.

Our government blindly follows the will of the mob even though it's terrible for the economy if you actually tried to Article 50. Pragmatic, we are not.

Zukkoyaki

Video has more dislikes than likes. I've heard that means Trump will win.

The internet is all the alt-right have along with their doomsday shelters and guns. They spend more time seeking out and saying shit about Clinton than actually supporting their candidate. Pretty sure they camp the Clinton YouTube channel just waiting to shower it with dislikes.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The video in the OP is completely out of sync. Is it fucked up for anyone else?

Is there a better source video of the speech?

atr0cious

Would be a stronger speech if she didn't minimize the GOP's long history of racism and pandering to racists. Donald "People are praying for me" Trump is an atypical candidate, but he's anything but sui generis.

She'd have to list off a lot of Democrat sins as well, or have it done for her if she did that, so I think she's going for the whole, "America is inherently good people, but some people are dicks," approach.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
This is just the Southern Strategy coming home to roost. He doesn't actually have a chance.

Yes, I know he's not going to win, I'm just more appalled that a good chunk of eligible voters are going to give him their support.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Would be a stronger speech if she didn't minimize the GOP's long history of racism and pandering to racists. Trump is an atypical candidate, but he's anything but sui generis.

It's important that she does not turn off life long Republicans who are genuinely not bigoted. Even if they turned a blind eye to these issues within their party. Appealing to the good people in the party is more important than tearing it all down.

Atr0cious makes a good point too.

This is why these elections make no sense to us outside of the US. It makes no sense that Trump has gotten so far, it makes no sense that Clinton could lose this, it makes no sense that people who aren't blatantly racist actually ask themselves who they should vote for, it makes no sense that some people call Trump the "lesser evil".

All of this makes no sense.
People are just as fearful as they've always been. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to the dark side.

The pieces are easy to put together: the perception of worsening ways of life grants the crazies a taller soapbox. It had happened throughout history, and will never be stopped as long as the perception goes on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
She'd have to list off a lot of Democrat sins as well, or have it done for her if she did that, so I think she's going for the whole, "America is inherently good people, but some people are dicks," approach.

Thats the standard tact of democrats running for national office. You have to shift through a thick fog of patriotism, appeals to emotion and american dreams.

She just shit all over him and his antics from the past month+.

This is general-election-mode Hillary. She's gonna smack Trump so hard at the debates he won't even know which direction to face the moderator.

pigeon

Banned
This is why these elections make no sense to us outside of the US. It makes no sense that Trump has gotten so far, it makes no sense that Clinton could lose this, it makes no sense that people who aren't blatantly racist actually ask themselves who they should vote for, it makes no sense that some people call Trump the "lesser evil".

I mean, it's because lots of Americans are racist. If you are from outside of America this should actually be totally obvious and clear to you since waves of racist nationalism are pretty much sweeping the rest of the world right now.

I need to watch this video.

Donald Trump's Twitter feed right now is clown shoes. I would post, but I'm at work. He accuses HRC of fear-mongering.

@startpstevens quoted and responded: "'Right now, you walk down the street, you get shot.' -@realDonaldTrump two days ago."

It's a good speech and it needs to be said out loud before Kellyanne Conway even has a chance to spit shine his campaign. If anything, they're too late with this. The vast majority of Americans doesn't really know anything about far right extremism outside of the KKK and Breaking Bad-like stereotypical Neo Nazis.

kirblar

Where do you live? Pigeon's dead on about this- this is happening all over the world.

Clinton's Twitter now jumping on the Breitbart hire: https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/768893816053071872

It's important that she does not turn off life long Republicans who are genuinely not bigoted. Even if they turned a blind eye to these issues within their party. Appealing to the good people in the party is more important than tearing it all down.

Atr0cious makes a good point too.

This is the kind of speech that can persuade my TX lifetime republican family to vote for Clinton.

No, she did this on purpose to draw in wavering republicans, very smart.

Doesn't this undermine efforts to nationalize House and Senate races by tying GOP candidates to Trump?

Noaloha

I never realised Trump was such a Birther proponent.

Here's my origin story:

Trump is *such* a racist that, only when faced with a black president, he decides "well if so, surely me moreso, let's have at it."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wow, she really went all in. That was a great deconstruction of the alt-right and their racist bullshit.

Torokil

I dislike how Clinton seems to be going for the "oh deary me this wonderful and noble Republican party has been hijacked by fringe extremists!" angle as if to absolve the establishment GOP of its faults. Yes, I know she wants to win the election, but you gotta put your foot on the throat of those that fueled the fire of the rise of Trump otherwise we'll just be dealing with the same shit sooner than we think.

MartyStu

Very nicely done. Perhaps a bit late on this though.

Should have gone out the second he started to backtrack.

That said, she needs to hammer him on this. Hard. Force him to spend time defending something that pretty much most Americans have already decided about him.

D6l8fu1.gif

Primus

She's right but this isn't a good look either way. Everything she said was pretty obvious following the campaign.

OPTICS! THOSE DAMNED OPTICS!!!!!

Seriously, though, that was some O-Class stellar burn Hilary brought today. Good on her for shining light on all that bullshit.

I need to watch this video.

Donald Trump's Twitter feed right now is clown shoes. I would post, but I'm at work. He accuses HRC of fear-mongering.

@startpstevens quoted and responded: "'Right now, you walk down the street, you get shot.' -@realDonaldTrump two days ago."

Whenever he does his "hot take" bullshit on Twitter as a response to someone else's speech in real time, I always love the mental image I get of him sitting somewhere yelling at the TV with no one to hear him and madly mashing his tiny cheeto fingers into his phone.

Trouble

Banned
Trump is going to be back on his heels for the duration of this election. I hope he is so battered by the end that he never wants to hear the word 'politics' again.

BigDug13

I dislike how Clinton seems to be going for the "oh deary me this wonderful and noble Republican party has been hijacked by fringe extremists!" angle as if to absolve the establishment GOP of its faults. Yes, I know she wants to win the election, but you gotta put your foot on the throat of those that fueled the fire of the rise of Trump otherwise we'll just be dealing with the same shit sooner than we think.

She's not going to win over GOP fence sitters by shitting on the entire party's ideals which would only play well with her choir who she doesn't need to preach that shit to.

commedieu

Banned
Unfortunately she's speaking to the choir. Kinda getting bored watching the back patting.

Racist people have been racist. They aren't changing their mind. See: everything trump. No plan no ideas no substance but he's anti brown so that's good enough for most. For the rest he speaks to the racism against obama, which then means government is bad.

Oblivious people have been oblivious, and they aren't going to vote/will continue to vote republican or whatever their bubble dictates.

This election has a threat to Americans world views. This isn't changed by words, especially from a woman. We've got a way to go. Not sure what the solution is.

oti

Banned
I mean, it's because lots of Americans are racist. If you are from outside of America this should actually be totally obvious and clear to you since waves of racist nationalism are pretty much sweeping the rest of the world right now.

You're not the first to make this argument but I don't accept it. Is there any other politician out there saying they want to deport all Muslims and build a wall that the Mexicans will pay for and still be in the running for president? This is a whole new dimension of racism and bigotry and it's one of two candidates for POTUS.

This isn't like the German AFD politician who said refugees should be shot at the border. She's nowhere near becoming the Chancellor, she'd stand no chance. Try as a member of one of the big parties to sell people on building a wall to Poland and make the Polish pay for it. Your political career is over.

The only political system (in a democracy) I'd call more fucked up is Austria, and you never want to be compared to Austria.

Americans downplaying Trump as "just like one of those far right guys we're seeing everywhere", this is dangerous. Don't fall for this.

Iksenpets

Banned
Would be a stronger speech if she didn't minimize the GOP's long history of racism and pandering to racists. Trump is an atypical candidate, but he's anything but sui generis.

She's got to walk a fine line here though. You're not going to convince conservatives to throw out their entire world view they've spent their entire lifetime developing, no matter how much evidence you have that those beliefs have led to this. Attacking Trump without attacking the conservative movement as a whole helps convince moderate Republicans that Trump is uniquely bad and it's ok to either stay home or to vote against him without having to abandon their entire philosophy. Painting the entire conservative movement as complicit in Trump's rise, while true, helps rally them to his cause.

The Republicans' role in Trump is one of those true things that's not politically wise to bring up.

Attacking them only helps them though, because it rallies their voters. You will not change their minds, no matter what. If you want to crush them, win with as big a margin as possible, and leverage that to actually do thing. And the best way to do that is to demoralize them by convincing them that their candidate is bad for them specifically.

Unfortunately she's speaking to the choir. Kinda getting bored watching the back patting.

Racist people have been racist. They aren't changing their mind. See: everything trump. No plan no ideas no substance but he's anti brown so that's good enough for most. For the rest he speaks to the racism against obama, which then means government is bad.

Oblivious people have been oblivious, and they aren't going to vote/will continue to vote republican or whatever their bubble dictates.

This election has a threat to Americans world views. This isn't changed by words, especially from a woman.
This isn't pointed at Trump's core base, which obviously won't care since they are the alt-right.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
another classic example of Trump's projection via twitter

Hillary Clinton's short speech is pandering to the worst instincts in our society. She should be ashamed of herself!

Pastry

Banned

This election has a threat to Americans world views. This isn't changed by words, especially from a woman. We've got a way to go. Not sure what the solution is.

...you're upset this wasn't a policy speech? I'm having a hard time following the train of thought. Sad!

REKT. I can't wait for the live debates because she's going to run rings around him.

"Wow can you believe what a bully Hillary was? Trump was trying to be reasonable but she just kept interrupting him with her shrill screaming. Trump was trying to talk about the REAL issues but Hillary just wanted to sling mud."

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Reading the transcript doesn't do this justice. This is something you want to listen to if at all possible.

Powerful annihilation of Trump and the people he surrounds himself with. This is what a President sounds like.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

There is a breed of Diet Racists out there that don't see themselves as racists. People like my father who are offended by Trump, while somehow secretly holding a lot of the same values. Trump's fake pivot could have been enough to get them on board, but a stark reminder that he's closer to a white supremacist than he is to the usual GOP racist dogwhistles is a smart move.

pigeon

Banned

I agree and disagree with this. I think you are totally right that Trump is actually a direct outgrowth of the GOP's positions and policies. But I am not sure that Hillary saying that will have the effects she wants to have -- people who are GOP voters who are now upset and depressed about Trump will be very resistant to that message, and those are the target here.

Since the GOP is in the middle of a huge collapse anyway (hence Trump getting nominated in the first place) I think you may as well just move to the side and let them fall over. They need to take responsibility for purging the alt-right on their own or they'll become a third party in a decade (which I expect to happen).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom