• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hip Hop Gaf: Let's make Jay-Z's "Blueprint 2" a better album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compbros

This came about while taking to some friends about Jay-Z's "GOAT" status. I was saying almost half is catalogue is mediocre or worse and it started with the Blueprint 2. While discussing the album I realize there were a lot of good songs on the album but it's just a mess. I decided to give Blueprint 2.1 a listen but even being tighter than the double album it left off some amazing songs like Popping Tags while still being merely mediocre. So, I've been listening to Blueprint 2 on repeat for a few days trying to find the good album through all the trash. But I'm just one guy and would like as much input as possible because there may be a song I don't like that I would cut but a bunch of other people find good and would want on the album. So I'm proposing for anyone that wants to that we make a Gaf consensus "Blueprint 2". This is all for fun and to open a dialogue about this album. Enjoy yourselves.

For anyone with Tidal, here's the link to the Blueprint 2: http://tidal.com/album/576373

The "Curse" half of the album starts with track 12.

Rules:

1. Any song that was a single with a video has to make the final cut. This includes Excuse Me Miss and 03 Bonnie and Clyde. Hovi Baby was a street single so can be cut. I realize that some singles get videos and then don't make the album but these were big hits so I can't ignore them as a "hype video".

2. The Tracklist will be 15 songs. Most Jay-Z albums are between 14-16 tracks so I'm splitting the difference and making it 15 tracks. If agreed on, track 15 can have 2 hidden tracks (Jay-Z has done this a few times).

3. The songs must be chosen from the original 25 songs of The Blueprint 2 (that includes the bonus tracks) and the two new additions of Blueprint 2.1. All potential songs will be listed below. The only exceptions are the potential hidden tracks which can come from any song released from Jay-Z between BP1 and BP2.

4. The 15 tracks you want included use the CODE tag so I can easily find it. Bonus tracks should be listed after your 15 and be separated by *Hidden Tracks* so I don't confuse it with your 15.

5. Not only are we picking the tracks but also the order. Order is important for an album, taking Blueprint as an example it'd feel weird to go from The Ruler's Back to Song Cry to Renegade. Odd flow. Sometimes that's the point, we can make that the point. Order will be picked after we have the final 15 tracks.

Dates:

Trying to wrap this up by the end of the year so here's the dates you need to know.

Deadline for Nominations: December 24th.

Final 15 Songs Posted: December 25th.

Order of tracks voting: Dec 25th - 31st.

Final Album posted: Jan 1st.

Tracks

27 to choose from.

DISC 1: THE GIFT:
1. A Dream - (featuring Faith Evans/Notorious B.I.G.)
2. Hovi Baby
3. The Watcher 2 - (featuring Dr Dre/Rakim/Truth Hurts)
4. '03 Bonnie & Clyde - (featuring Beyonce Knowles)
5. Excuse Me Miss
6. What They Gonna Do - (featuring Sean Paul)
7. All Around The World - (featuring LaToiya Williams)
8. Poppin' Tags - (featuring Big Boi/Killer Mike/Twista)
9. F**k All Nite
10. The Bounce - (featuring Kanye West)
11. I Did It My Way

DISC 2: THE CURSE:
1. Diamonds Is Forever
2. Guns & Roses - (featuring Lenny Kravitz)
3. U Don't Know - (remix, featuring M.O.P.)
4. Meet The Parents
5. Some How Some Way - (featuring Beanie Sigel/Scarface)
6. Some People Hate
7. Blueprint 2
8. N***a Please - (featuring Young Chris)
9. 2 Many Hoes
10. As One - (featuring Memphis Bleek/Freeway/Young Guns/Peedi Crakk/Sparks/Rell)
11. Ballad For The Fallen Soldier
12. Show You How - (bonus track)
13. Bitches & Sisters - (bonus track)
14. What They Gonna Do Part II - (bonus track)

Blueprint 2.1

Stop
La La La (Excuse Me Miss Again)

I'd love to stream the final Gaf cut so we could all listen at the same time but I don't know of any way to do but you'll be able to make your own playlist to hear it. Anywhere, here's my proposed tracks and I'll even update it with the tracklist I'd want.

Code:
 Not final yet, still figuring out the second half of the album. 1-6 is locked for me though. 

1. Hovi Baby
2. Show You How
3. Bitches and Sisters
4. Excuse Me Miss
5. Popping Tags
6. 03 Bonnie and Clyde
7. Meet The Parents
8. Some how, Some Way
9. N***a Please
10 . What They Gonna Do?
11. All Around the World
12. The Watcher 2
13. Guns N Roses
14. U Don't Know Remix
15. Diamonds is Forever

*Hidden Tracks*

A Dream
Blueprint 2

The Kree

Banned
This is my list and order.

Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]A Dream
[*]All Around The World
[*]I Did It My Way
[*]Hovi Baby
[*]The Watcher Pt. 2
[*]Show You How
[*]U Don't Know Remix
[*]Blueprint 2
[*]Guns & Roses
[*]'03 Bonnie & Clyde
[*]Excuse Me Miss
[*]Bitches & Sisters
[*]Meet The Parents
[*]Some How Some Way
[*]Ballad For The Fallen Soldier
[/LIST]

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Being as though I have the Blueprint as a Top 10 rap album ever it made the blueprint 2 so much worse. I really didn't like 03 Bonnie and Clyde especially since it took "ME and My Girlfriend and made it a pop song.

Con_Smith

Banned
Just have 9th wonder remix it like the black album and have every beat as good as both versions of Threat.

Boom.

Undoable.
The only worthwhile tracks are Hovi Baby, The Watcher 2, Excuse Me Miss, Poppin Tags, and Show You How.
Album is garbo.

Jay Sosa

I think even if you cut 90%...album would still be garbage. man how ironic that shot at nas turned out to be.

cordy

Banned
Code:
1. A Dream
2. Hovi Baby
3. The Watcher 2
4. I Did It My Way
5. Some People Hate
6. U Don't Know (Remix) 
7. Show You How
8. The Blueprint 2
9. Bitches & Sisters (Interlude) 
10. Excuse Me Miss
11. 03 Bonnie & Clyde 
12. Meet The Parents 
13. Guns & Roses
14. Some How Some Way
15. A Ballad For The Fallen Soldiers

Looks more like a concept album this way. Starts off with Hov dreaming about BIG and his demise as he's still high off that "Hov he's that dude who went against Nas" thing, first half is pretty arrogant and boastful. The second half deals with Hov and women as he softens up a bit, gets a girlfriend and starts thinking about those who have passed and the things he's missed. In a way way it could be that he's realized he's gotten older and this part of his life's coming to an end so he's gotta hang it up for a bit. If only it was done this way.

It's definitely doable to make it better. Make it GOOD is another thing.
You're right, I'll start working on my list now.
I was expecting a ten paragraph response as to why The Blueprint 2 is a perfect album.
I've always been honest about thinking that album is garbage.
I feel like Jay woke up out of a coma and lost his voices bass, forgot how to inflect/flow, and forgot how to actually make a song.
Now if someone said Volume 2 was garbage those are fighting words.

cordy

Banned
Am I wrong for enjoying the bounce? :(

Someone else said that recently, why though? Like, idk what it is about that track but I it just feels weird to me. It's cool for people to like it I just want to know what about the track attracts them.

Lkr

Someone else said that recently, why though? Like, idk what it is about that track but I it just feels weird to me. It's cool for people to like it I just want to know what about the track attracts them.
Idk it just sounds catchy. It's not one of the best tracks ever or anything but I like it for some reason

Code:
1. A Dream
2. Hovi Baby
3. The Watcher 2
4. I Did It My Way
5. Some People Hate
6. U Don't Know (Remix) 
7. Show You How
8. The Blueprint 2
9. Bitches & Sisters (Interlude) 
10. Excuse Me Miss
11. 03 Bonnie & Clyde 
12. Meet The Parents 
13. Guns & Roses
14. Some How Some Way
15. A Ballad For The Fallen Soldiers

Looks more like a concept album this way. Starts off with Hov dreaming about BIG and his demise as he's still high off that "Hov he's that dude who went against Nas" thing, first half is pretty arrogant and boastful. The second half deals with Hov and women as he softens up a bit, gets a girlfriend and starts thinking about those who have passed and the things he's missed. In a way way it could be that he's realized he's gotten older and this part of his life's coming to an end so he's gotta hang it up for a bit. If only it was done this way.

This would probably be my list tbh.

Compbros

As a concept album I like it but Jay has never been about that. Though that may be all the more reason it'd be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom