• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hip Hop, great albums throughout the decades

Status
Not open for further replies.

zon

Right, this was shortly discussed in another thread. The meaning of the thread is to make a list of classic/great hip hop albums, both mainstream and underground so don't be afraid to suggest anything. It's here to help hip hop lovers find the gems of the genre. This isn't something that I can do alone, though. I hope there are other people here who are willing to help out and add albums. I listen mainly to east coast artists so help is definitely needed heh.

I'll start with this list I found on wikipedia, it's a real good list for anyone that wants to hear some of the very best hip hop has to offer.

* Run-D.M.C.: Run-D.M.C. (Profile, 1984) Containing the early singles that saw off the old school, this is considered a superior rap album to any that preceded it.

* LL Cool J: Radio (Def Jam, 1985) Hard, minimalist, self-assertive, and funky, this was a new school blueprint.

* Run-D.M.C.: Raising Hell (Profile, 1986) Crossover hits like "Walk This Way" co-exist with the quintessential hip hop of tracks like "Peter Piper", "Perfection", "It's Tricky" and "My Adidas".

* Beastie Boys: Licensed to Ill (Def Jam, 1986) Licensed to Ill was responsible, along with Run D.M.C.'s Raising Hell, for establishing the hip hop album as a fixture of the mainstream.

* Boogie Down Productions: Criminal Minded (B-Boy, 1987) Minimalist and tribalist, this album contains the material that won The Bridge Wars.

* Eric B & Rakim: Paid in Full (4th & B'way, 1987) Paid in Full is minimalist hip hop, with DJ tracks complimenting the precise, logical and influential style of Rakim's raps.

* Biz Markie: Goin' Off (Cold Chillin', 1988) Biz Markie, in singular comedic style, beatboxes, holds forth on the topic of "Picking Boogers", and describes a certain kind of fair-weather friend phenomenon on "The Vapors". Production is by Marley Marl.

* The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (Def Jam, 1988) Slick Rick's roguish tales are noted early narratives in hip hop.

* EPMD: Strictly Business (Fresh, 1988) The slow-moving funk of Strictly Business, with its loud bass and laid-back rapping, was a new sound in hip hop.

* Big Daddy Kane: Long Live the Kane (Cold Chillin', 1988) Kane's exemplary boasting is backed by Marley Marl's excellent production.

* Public Enemy: It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (Def Jam, 1988) Droning feedback, occasional shards of rock guitar, and James Brown horn samples distorted into discordant shrieks back the political rhetoric of lead rapper Chuck D and the surreality of Flavor Flav.

* N.W.A: Straight Outta Compton (Ruthless, 1988) Powerful and uncompromising, both lyrically and sonically, Straight Outta Compton's first-hand representations of Compton, California life would set the tone for much of future hip hop.

* MC Lyte: Lyte as a Rock (First Priority, 1988) The treatments Lyte gives rap competitors and ex-boyfriends in tracks like "10% Dis", "I Cram to Understand U" and "Paper Thin" make this debut one of the best albums of the era.

* Ultramagnetic MC's: Critical Beatdown (Next Plateau, 1988) Critical Beatdown's abstract rhymes in strange syncopations laid on top of sampling experiments proved widely influential, from Public Enemy to gangsta rap to several generations of underground hip hop artists.

* Jungle Brothers: Straight out the Jungle (Idlers, 1988) This debut was an original album containing fluid grooves and nods towards sexual and political egalitarianism.

* De La Soul: 3 Feet High & Rising (Tommy Boy, 1989) An eclectic yet inclusive collage of samples, a benevolent sensibility and an enormous sense of fun made this record a hip hop landmark.

* Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique (Capitol, 1989) " ... one of the high watermarks of the sampling era".

* Queen Latifah: All Hail the Queen (Tommy Boy, 1989) Latifah's Afrocentric, charismatic, regal mien projected a new and original persona onto the world of hip hop.

* Jungle Brothers: Done by the Forces of Nature (Warner Bros. Records, 1989) The second album by the Jungle Brothers is an inclusive outing: "the most all-embracing hip-hop ever made".

* Public Enemy: Fear of a Black Planet (Def Jam, 1990) Fear of a Black Planet, containing the singles "Fight the Power" and "Welcome to the Terrordome", was the similarly incendiary follow-up to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

* A Tribe Called Quest: People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm (Jive, 1990) Rich and infectious, this debut wore the worthy intent of its morality plays, allegories and explorations of ambiguity lightly.

* X-Clan: To the East, Blackwards (4th & B'Way, 1990) X-Clan mixed a brand of Egyptology with their Islamic teachings, creating catchphrases still resonant in hip hop today in the process.

* Ice Cube: AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted (Priority, 1990) The music keeps pace with the raps on Ice Cube's album of alienation and rage.

* Poor Righteous Teachers: Holy Intellect (Profile, 1990) Mystic Islam offshoot The Nation of Gods and Earths had a strong presence in hip hop at this time; Holy Intellect had bouncing funk and ragga influences to sugar the pill of the messages.

* Brand Nubian: One for All (Elektra, 1990) As above, this was another Five Percenter album that was an impressive work of sound.

* Gang Starr: Step in the Arena (Chrysalis, 1991) Gang Starr are one of the most consistent groups in hip hop, and one of the greatest. DJ Premier's production here was a leap forward in hip hop techniques.

* De La Soul: De La Soul Is Dead (Tommy Boy, 1991) Following the success of their debut, De La Soul killed off their hippy image, producing this sometimes frustrated, sometimes uplifting album with rich grooves in both moods.

* Main Source: Breaking Atoms (Wild Pitch, 1991) Breaking Atoms is noted for introducing both Nas and Akinyele, for its clever production (by Large Professor) and for its sophisticated storytelling in tracks like "Peace Is Not the Word to Play" and the metaphor for racism that was "Just a Friendly Game of Baseball".

* Cypress Hill: Cypress Hill (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1991) Sardonic and menacing, marijuana-toking Cypress Hill's debut had B-Real's unmistakable nasal-whine delivery and extraordinary beats on this commercially successful record.

* A Tribe Called Quest: The Low End Theory (Jive, 1991) "The album demonstrated that hip-hop was an aesthetic every bit as deep, serious and worth cherishing as any in a century-plus of African-American music".

* Scarface: Mr. Scarface is Back (Rap-A-Lot, 1991) Scarface's skillful rapping about the thug and hustler lifestyles includes reflecting on their consequences.

* Redman: Whut? Thee Album (Def Jam, 1992) Zapp and P-funk form the basis of beats that are tough, raucous fun, much like Redman's raps.

* The Pharcyde: Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (Delicious Vinyl, 1992) L.A.'s The Pharcyde made an album that was a carnival of fun and inventiveness that still made time for some disarmingly honest introspection.

* Dr. Dre: The Chronic (Death Row, 1992) The era of wide-scale sampling would draw to a close in the wake of this hugely successful and hugely influential record, which used live band "interpolations" to create a slow, laid-back music which formed the background to raps of chilling violence.

* Souls of Mischief: 93 'til Infinity (Jive, 1993) There were hazy jazz samples, a bohemian air and a torrent of rhymes on the classic debut record from Souls of Mischief of East Oakland, California.

* Wu-Tang Clan: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (Loud, 1993) One of hip hop's true landmarks, this ferocious, startling album rescued New York hip hop in a time dominated by the relaxed sounds of the West Coast.

* Snoop Doggy Dogg: Doggystyle (Death Row, 1993) The star of The Chronic, with his laid-back drawl, made the best-selling debut album ever.

* Nas: Illmatic (Columbia, 1994) As writer Peter Shapiro frames it, Illmatic demonstrated a fitting of production to lyrics worthy of It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, an analytical evocation of street life that matched the power of N.W.A., and a command of the microphone not heard since Rakim.

* Organized Konfusion: Stress: The Extinction Agenda (Hollywood BASIC, 1994) Challenging but occasionally joyful music that demonstrates virtuosity even at its most difficult, this is noted not least for a gruesome narrative told from the perspective of a titular "Stray Bullet".

* Notorious B.I.G.: Ready to Die (Bad Boy, 1994) This album's platinum sales, rap skills, and bleak vision mitigated by humor and funk, completed the revitalization of New York hip hop begun with the success of the Wu-Tang's debut a year before.

* Common Sense: Resurrection (Relativity, 1994) "I Used To Love H.E.R." is an extended metaphor for hip hop that attracted much attention, while on tracks like "Resurrection" and "Watermelon" Common's style is warm and witty, the tracks full of wordplay and assured jazzy production.

* Mobb Deep: The Infamous (Loud, 1995) " ... a bone-chilling classic of Rotten Apple hardcore".

* Raekwon: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... (Loud, 1995) Raekwon's grim street tales made for one of the best Wu-Tang solo records.

* The Fugees: The Score (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1996) Massive singles aside, this was a dark, downtempo album; it sold over 18 million copies worldwide and was widely respected.

* Jay-Z: Reasonable Doubt (Roc-A-Fella, 1996) Jay-Z combined elements of the New York underground with a mainstream sensibility on his debut, proving himself a strong presence on the mic in the process.

* Lauryn Hill: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (Ruffhouse/Columbia, 1998) Soaring music and Hill's voice, rapping or singing, made this among the most successful crossover albums of the hip hop era.

* Outkast: Aquemini (LaFace, 1998) Critical, analytical and emotionally intelligent, Aquemini was ambitious and successful both musically and lyrically.

* Eminem: The Slim Shady LP (Aftermath/Interscope, 1999) This contains some Dr. Dre productions and Eminem's deliberately offensive wordplay; the huge single "My Name Is" is an example of both.

* Jay-Z: The Blueprint (Roc-A-Fella, 2001) Jay-Z was at the height of his talents here, over production by Kanye West, Just Blaze and others.

* Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP (Shady/Aftermath, 2001) The album became the fastest selling hip-hop album of all time. Today, it is considered a groundbreaking album, and consiered Eminem's best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hip_hop_albums

Okay, that's a start. Now on to more albums.

Albums released in the 80s

Eric B. & Rakim: Follow The Leader

Gang Starr: No More Mr. Nice Guy

Kool G Rap & DJ Polo: Road To The Riches

Albums released in the 90s

2pac: All Eyez On Me

Big L: Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous

Black Sheep: A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Black Sheep: Non-Fiction

Black Star: Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star

Crooklyn Dodgers, The: Crooklyn

Crooklyn Dodgers '95: Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers

Diamond And The Psychotic Neurotics: Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop

Eric B. & Rakim: Let The Rhythm Hit Em

Eric B. & Rakim: Don't Sweat The Technique

Gang Starr: Daily Operation

Gang Starr: Hard To Earn

Gang Starr: Moment Of Truth

Gang Starr: Full Clip: A Decade Of Gang Starr (Compilation of earlier albums and one new track)

Gang Starr: The Ownerz

GZA: Liquid Swords

Heltah Skeltah: Nocturnal

Jeru The Damaja: The Sun Rises In The East

Jeru The Damaja: Wrath Of The Math

Kool G Rap & DJ Polo: Wanted Dead Or Alive

KRS-One: Return Of The Boom Bap

KRS-One: KRS ONE

Lord Finesse: Return Of The Funky Man

Lord Finesse: The Awekening

Lords Of The Underground: Here Come The Lords

O.C.: Word...Life

O.C.: Jewelz

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth: Mecca And The Soul Brother

Showbiz & A.G.: Runaway Slave

Smif-N-Wessun: Dah Shinin

Albums released in 2000 and onward

Bumpy Knuckles: Industry Shakedown (Bumpy Knuckles is an alias for the artist Freddie Foxxx)

Looptroop: Modern City Symphony

I'll add more later if this takes off.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
some excellent albums on there. But I always felt that, if someone is trying to get into hip hop for the first time, they should start with early to mid nineties stuff. The uprise of jazz influenced hip hop and more conscious rap means thats usually the era that seems to hook newcomers.

also I have to do my duty as a fanboy and say anybody who enjoys hip hop, or hell just enjoys music, should own some Atmosphere albums.

knicks

OP covers most from the past, some rather recent ones that deserve an honorable mention:

Jay-Z: Black Album
Mos Def: Black on Both Sides
Mos Def: The New Danger
Eminem: Eminem Show
DMX: Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood
DMX:...And Then There Was X
Atmosphere:God Loves Ugly
Atmosphere: You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
AZ: Doe or Die
50 Cent: Get Rich or Die Tryin
Dr. Dre: 2001
Immortal Technique: Revolutionary Volume 2
Redman: Muddy Waters
Redman & Method Man: Blackout Vol 1 & 2

Max@GC

4173AB97C8L._SS500_.jpg

TwiztidElf

Wow. How things fell apart after the mid 90's.
Some amazing albums in the OP.

Don't have time to add much now, but right off the top of my head:

Jedi Mind Tricks - Legacy of Blood.

All Eyez on Me but no Me Against the World?

theres not much question that Me Against the World is better than All Eyez on ME

Guled said:
how was not Life after Death not mentioned yet? Also, the above poster is correct

Because its not very good? Too many fillers

Both All Eyez on Me and Life after Death suffer from it since they're double discs. Though All Eyez on Me doesnt have it as bad but it certainly isnt Tupac's best album.

Azure J

Guled said:
how was not Life after Death not mentioned yet?

This x infinity. Also the poster that recommended AZ's Doe or Die is my hero. Finally, I'm gonna recommend Lupe Fiasco's two albums:

5336729fd7a0df7f7fecd010.L.jpg

lupecool.jpg

inspectah derek said:
Ghostface Killah

Welcome to GAF my good man

Lots of great stuff mentioned already. I'd add

Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain
Blu and Exile - Beneath the Heavens
Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
inspectah derek said:
Ghostface Killah

inspectah derek
(Today, 06:51 PM)
Reply | Quote

I see what you did there.

AzureJericho said:
This x infinity. Also the poster that recommended AZ's Doe or Die is my hero. Finally, I'm gonna recommend Lupe Fiasco's two albums:

AZ's The Format is one of my top 5 songs ever, probably call it my favourite because it's hard to choose. Lyrically it's amazing. Weirdly enough, that's one of the few songs I know by him, as some of the rest I've heard pale in comparison.

Azure J

enzo_gt said:
AZ's The Format is one of my top 5 songs ever, probably call it my favourite because it's hard to choose. Lyrically it's amazing. Weirdly enough, that's one of the few songs I know by him, as some of the rest I've heard pale in comparison.

You're telling me? The guy is amazing with his lyricism. It's a damn shame he didn't blow up with Nas from the Illmatic days, he deserved it. Also, as much as the Format and most of his later albums still retain that top tier status, I still have to give it to some of his older stuff, especially "Gimmie Yours", "Rather Unique", "Problems", "A-1 Performance", and so on. There's something about his flow that is marvelously complemented with the 90s/early 00s productions and beats to me.

LQX

Nothing against rap but there seems to be so many random threads for it compared to other music. That said I do like rap somewhat though not like I use to.

The Great Adventures of Slick Rick really stood out back in the day. Not sure the under 20 can appreciate him though but you can see his style in artist like Jay-Z

enzo_gt said:

Honestly that song is crazy, its a flawless song. You don't get to many of those songs at that lyrical level anymore. Yes I mean non-mainstream music too, I probably could search around for a while and not find a song that recently came out that tops that lyrically. Thats my opinion if you can find one feel free to post the song I would like to hear it, really.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Nelly_-_Counrty_Grammar_(Front).jpg

It's too bad Nelly became utter shit afterwords or else I think this album would get more credit. It's close to being the best sold album of all-time and helped bring the southern style to the forefront of the rap scene, even though Nelly himself is from St. Louis.

JimiNutz

Banned
Most of the greats have been posted already, but I rarely see this album pop up in GAF Hip Hop threads :(

the-cold-vein.jpg

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

This album is one of my favourites of all time, and is critically acclaimed, yet not many people I know actually like it.
It has a very unique sound thanks to El-P's production, and I think the beats put some people off initially, but it has some of the most interesting and unique production in Hip Hop.
Vast Are and Vordul Mega tear pretty much every track up as well.

Atom
B-Boys Alpha
Raspberry Fields

While I'm talking about EL-P, probably need to give some love to Company Flow as well.

company_flow_-_funcrusher_plus1.jpg

Company Flow - The Fire in Which You Burn

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AzureJericho said:
You're telling me? The guy is amazing with his lyricism. It's a damn shame he didn't blow up with Nas from the Illmatic days, he deserved it. Also, as much as the Format and most of his later albums still retain that top tier status, I still have to give it to some of his older stuff, especially "Gimmie Yours", "Rather Unique", "Problems", "A-1 Performance", and so on. There's something about his flow that is marvelously complemented with the 90s/early 00s productions and beats to me.

Thanks for the reccomendations, will check out for sure. Got an idea of his best album/whether The Format is a good album? He's definitely slept on by many people.

ggnoobIGN said:

Every bit as good as The Chronic.

Better IMO. Probably cause I heard 2001 first though.

Straightballin said:
Honestly that song is crazy, its a flawless song. You don't get to many of those songs at that lyrical level anymore. Yes I mean non-mainstream music too, I probably could search around for a while and not find a song that recently came out that tops that lyrically. Thats my opinion if you can find one feel free to post the song I would like to hear it, really.

I agree. Primo's production is so amazing, the beat is addictive, the wordplay is top notch. Literally every line from that song is quotable:

How I maneuve now, it'll merge the wisdom / A pilgrim, prophesize putting words to rhythm

Hot shit.

Tiger uppercut said:
Late Registration

Honestly Wu tang, the referenced in in the OP

I liked Late Registration :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Things missing in this list:

Sex Style by Kool Keith (better than Dr. Octagon, dudes, I'm sorry to say)
Paradise Don't Come Cheap by New Kingdom (rarely mentioned like anywhere, album was way ahead of its time and is brilliant)
Symbionese Liberation Album by Third Sight & The Richard Dastardly Identity by Foul Mouth Cringe (Roughneck Jihad murders your favorite emcee)

Thank god someone posted UGK in here before I posted, I was about to have a meltdown if I saw more posts with fucking Be by Common and no decent actual rap in this thread. That album blows.

Duki

Banned
King_(album).jpg

I really enjoyed this album, although I could see why people would disagree with someone calling it a classic.

DJ Shadow - Entroducing. Only Hip Hop album i listen to. I guess it would be considered "Ambient Hip Hop" but it's a great album all around.

/knows nothing about hip hop, quickly turns around and walks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom