• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll miss the crotchety old bastard and his oft-off-kilter quotes. He did a lot for the industry, both good and bad, but undoubtedly changed its entire face. I probably wouldn't change that if I could, even if Nintendo was pretty awful to third parties at the height of his tenure. Lots of props to the guy regardless of his hard-edged style.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/tech/gaming-gadgets/yamauchi-nintendo-obit/index.html

Does Steve know much about Yamauchi? He kind of downplays his success and talks about his greatest achievement in a strange way. Why would he not mention Yamauchi flying to the states 3 times a week and fighting with retailers to revive a game industry here in the west as his biggest accomplishment?

That's easily what I consider to be his greatest achievement. When video games died, he made the U.S. his second home and went to retailers (such as Toys 'r us) individually trying to sell the Famicon. When they refused, he promised that if it was unsuccessful that Nintendo would pay for all the damage. Without his stubborn fight to revive the western video game industry, then can you really say that things would have panned out the same way for this industry? He took the greatest risk Nintendo has ever had to make and if it failed, there would be no Nintendo. I don't believe making sure everything went through him was necessarily his largest achievement and I think Steve needs to research a bit on the video game crash in the 80's.

I remember thinking very highly of Yamauchi when I was very young. Now, that I know more about him, not so much.

I think anyone trying to argue about the influence this guy had on the industry is really just trying really hard to troll.

Would the industry be the same if this guy worked for another company? Most likely. Would we have video games in some form without him? I'm pretty sure yes.

Would we have the gaming industry as it is right now (for better or worse)? I don't think so.

Geniuses can also be assholes.

Do you really think this industry would be the same if Nintendo didn't become a videogame company? Or maybe it's just sarcasm and it went right over my head.

mosaic

go eat paint
I swear I thought he was over 100. And I hope he comes back from the dead: one of the most stubborn men to walk the Earth. Thank goodness too, because I shudder to think of a world where Universal and Warner are tops of the video game industry.

RIP

I think overall there's really very little information about what Yamauchi was really like as a boss.
The Game Over book may be factual, but certainly paints a pretty extreme picture of him which i don't think necessarily tells the whole story.
I'll remember his legacy based on some of the first-hand comments we've had from Iwata Asks:

Skyward Sword

Itoi said:
But his real boss was Yamauchi-san.

Miyamoto said:
Yes. That was the case.

Itoi said:
And it was good for you that he was there?

Miyamoto said:
Overall, it was.

Itoi said:
Hmm, what a great relationship.

Miyamoto said:

Itoi said:
In addition, it wasn’t his specialty. Making video games, I mean.

Miyamoto said:
Right! (laughs) Between us he was the pro of entertainment. I would follow most of what he said, but I had just to say such things like, “Don’t decide on the colours of the character, please!”

3DS

Itoi said:
When I hear that, I think Yamauchi-san has played a big role.
Miyamoto said:
Very big.
Itoi said:
If not, none of this - meaning the whole company - would be what it is.
Iwata said:
No, it wouldn’t. For example, take the question of why the Nintendo DS system has two screens. That’s because Yamauchi-san was intensely interested in dual screens. He told us to make something with two screens, and because of that strong request, Miyamoto-san and I - sort of reasoning backwards - started pondering what kind of game activities would make use of two screens.
Itoi said:
Uh-huh, uh-huh.
Iwata said:
That led to the idea of using one screen as a Touch Screen. Without Yamauchi-san’s enthusiasm, Nintendo DS wouldn’t be in the form it is.
Itoi said:
That enthusiasm is important. It shows a company’s individuality.
Miyamoto said:
Yes, I think so.
Itoi said:
It’s true.
Miyamoto said:
These days, I’m always saying that when we get old we should be selfish. That’s because I think an organisation needs someone like Yamauchi-san.

Mario 25th Anniversary

Uemura said:
I suppose it started when former Nintendo president Yamauchi-san called me at home once. This is a fact. He said the good sales of Game & Watch wouldn’t last very long.
Iwata said:
At the time, Game & Watch was Nintendo’s main product.
Uemura said:
Yes. Yokoi-san was in charge of the Research & Development Department 1, which was developing Game & Watch. The number of workers he had was increasing. Meanwhile, I had the Research & Development Department 2, whose numbers were decreasing, so I had time on my hands and was going home fairly early. (laughs)
Iwata said:
Even though you were in charge of a development department? (laughs)
Uemura said:
Yeah. (laughs) But there really wasn’t anything to do! I even wondered if Yamauchi-san had called me out of consideration for that. He said the next thing would be video games for play on home television sets and asked if my department would develop them. But such games had been around for awhile.
Iwata said:
Even Nintendo had released TV Game 6 and TV Game 15, which had built-in games rather than external cartridges. 4 Color TV Game 6 and Color TV Game 15: Released in Japan in July 1977. The consoles held, respectively, 6 and 15 games such as tennis or ping-pong.
Uemura said:
I understood that it would be an extension of those, but Yamauchi-san made various stipulations. He said the games wouldn’t be built-in, but rather we would adopt the cartridge system, which was just then becoming mainstream. What’s more, he told me to make a machine that wouldn’t have any competitors for three years.

antonz

“I just found out about the news regarding the death of former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi. He created the Famicom, and the game business in Japan, and made it into a recognized part of the game industry around the world. And he also loved Pokémon. Mr. Yamauchi, today we surpassed one million preorders for XY… I pray from the bottom of my heart for your happiness in the next world.” - Junichi Masuda

Comments from Pokémon Director

antonz

Well yeah, as a baseball owner, he was literally an absentee owner.

Besides his disinterest in the sport in general baseball forced him to be too. They would nto sell to him unless he agreed to basically stay out of the way. MLB was super opposed to a non American owning a team

I know I'm a little late to the thread here, but I wanted to express my sympathies as well.

The NES was what got me into gaming. Thank you so much for the memories, sir. Rest in Peace.

RIP

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard multiple stories on NPR today while driving around about his death complete with chip-tunes from Donkey Kong, SMB and Legend of Zelda. It was kind of funny in a way though. In both cases, the story that was the lead-in was about how GTAV made $800 million in its first day with a few blips about the controversy regarding the franchise. That was followed by "in other gaming news" with stories on Yamauchi's death. I guess the idea was that it was supposed to be a counter-balance to the GTAV news and that, generally speaking, when people think of Nintendo and the legend that made them what they are today they think of happy, family-friendly stuff. The funny thing was that they interviewed some of the people that have written books on Nintendo, like the guy who wrote game over.

I think probably the general perception in the general public is that Yamauchi was some kind of Walt Disney-like character when, from some accounts, he was really a ruthless businessman. Even if you don't like Nintendo, Game Over is a must read.

The one guy they interviewed on NPR described him as a guy with no taste buds, but ended up being the best chef that ever lived. The NPR hosts were amazed that the guy never actually played games or liked them very much, but could pick out what game would sell 10 million copies just by watching a minute or two of game play. There was some love hotel talk too.

Of course, there was some eye-rolling stuff too. They had a guy from Wired talk about GTA, who said that the Elder Scrolls series is also published by Take 2. The co-host also told the host that he was out of the "geek club" or something because he thought the Donkey Kong tune they played was from Legend of Zelda.

Overall, it is fucking amazing that the guy took over Nintendo at only 22-years-old and ended up becoming one of the richest men in Japan. The whole Radarscope/Donkey Kong story is amazing and how Shigeru Miyamato ended up being such a legend.

Then again there's crazy shit with him like how he pretty much fired every manager when he took over Nintendo and other crazy stuff.

A.Romero

Do you really think this industry would be the same if Nintendo didn't become a videogame company? Or maybe it's just sarcasm and it went right over my head.

Joke.

The guy was an ass but we also have to thank him for his legacy.

I don't like Nintendo products since the N64 but I do recognize their huge contribution to the industry as it is today.

On another note:

Someone said that thanks to this guy's policies about shovelware publishers were angry at him. Honestly, I can remember a lot of crappy games with the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" BS. He was a visionary in many respects but also wasn't a kind human being.

Nothing wrong in recognizing virtues and defects on people. Specially after they pass.

Not sure if this has been posted,

but Yahoo had a story about his death. He was framed as the "Mariners owner who never went to a game"...Weird...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/seattle-mariners-owner-hiroshi-yamauchi-dies-85-never-141948972--mlb.html

I would expect Yahoo Sports to do an article about Yamauchi the sports-team owner, you know. That's a Yahoo Sports article.

Here's their main article on his death, in Yahoo Finance and also linked in the Tech page: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nintendos-yamauchi-dies-aged-85-120459816--finance.html

They also linked (in the Yahoo Tech news-links page) this article about Nintendo's rise under Yamauchi, mostly taken from Game Over: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4749264/read-this-nintendo-hiroshi-yamauchi-game-over-david-sheff

you mean the infamous nintendo seal? that worked wonders

well a serious discussion about the dark side of this man will be made one day..but not now..not here

time to bail out

It's good that you're out of the thread, and I'm hesitant to even say this on the off-chance it brings you back, but you seem to be under the false impression that many are about the Nintendo Seal. It was a good thing, actually. The market needed confidence that the software they were buying would actually work, and the seal provided that.

It had nothing to do with the quality of the game. It had everything to do with the quality of the product itself.

clem84

Gold Member
53 years god. That's a really long time to be CEO of a company. I didn't agree with all the decisions he made prior to stepping down but there's no denying that he was a big reason for Nintendo becoming the huge international, and very profitable, company that it is today.

Mory Dunz

I would expect Yahoo Sports to do an article about Yamauchi the sports-team owner, you know. That's a Yahoo Sports article.

Here's their main article on his death, in Yahoo Finance and also linked in the Tech page: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nintendos-yamauchi-dies-aged-85-120459816--finance.html

They also linked (in the Yahoo Tech news-links page) this article about Nintendo's rise under Yamauchi, mostly taken from Game Over: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/19/4749264/read-this-nintendo-hiroshi-yamauchi-game-over-david-sheff

Oh, but on the home Yahoo page the sports one was in the main feed so I figured that was their "main" story about it.

EDIT:As in, that's what the casual observer would likely see.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn. Just found out about this.

Knew he was old, so this wasn't really that surprising, but still. :(

It's good that you're out of the thread, and I'm hesitant to even say this on the off-chance it brings you back, but you seem to be under the false impression that many are about the Nintendo Seal. It was a good thing, actually. The market needed confidence that the software they were buying would actually work, and the seal provided that.

It had nothing to do with the quality of the game. It had everything to do with the quality of the product itself.

That and I think people tend to unfairly judge NES games to modern games. Back when Nintendo actually had a monopoly with the NES, the seal of quality wasn't something they just threw on the box. Sure, in retrospect a lot of NES games were shit, but compared to the games that caused the gaming crash they weren't cynical cash grabs.

From what I remember from reading Game Over, back in the day publishers could only release like three games a year for the NES. That's why you saw companies like Konami form off-shoot publishers like Ultra Games to get around it. I also believe in the early days of the NES, publishers actually had to submit their games to Nintendo for review and if they didn't like it you couldn't release it.

All that changed later on when Nintendo was taken to court for its tactics, so there was big difference later on with the games that got released on Nintendo platforms in the 8-bit days and certainly the 16-bit days.

All I know is that the whole Nintendo gaining the rights to Tetris played out like a cold-war novel. It's really a fucking amazing story. You've got Tengen and Namco trying to steal and backwards engineer the NES lockout chip. You've got multiple people from various companies going to communist Russia/USSR to try to gain the rights to Tetris. You've got Howard Lincoln and crew swooping in their like CIA agents and walking away with the rights to Tetris while screwing the guys who thought they had it. The whole story of how Tetris ended up on Gameboy is really some Godfather-esque/James Bond style shit.

_PsiFire_

I saw that he died while I was at work today but I was too busy to post. I had to come in and say my goodbyes to this legendary man.

He had a huge part in my childhood for sure - and still has seeing as I'm still and always a Nintendo fan.

Hiroshi, you have done what so few people can say to have done.

Because of you, people have been entertained in the best of times - in the worst of times they have had world's to escape to.

Experiences shared with family and friends because you pushed so hard to bring out a game machine no business had faith in.

I really don't know what else to say but thank you! May you rest in peace.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I knew he owned the Mariners, but I didn't know he made a point to keep them in Seattle. Kind of neat to see a story about this on the MLB site.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130919&content_id=61080796&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea

DETROIT -- Mariners principal owner Hiroshi Yamauchi, the retired chairman of Nintendo, has passed away. He was 85.

Yamauchi died Thursday morning of pneumonia at a hospital in central Japan, the Mariners confirmed.

"The Seattle Mariners organization is deeply saddened by the passing today of Mr. Hiroshi Yamauchi," the club said in a statement. "His leadership of Nintendo is legendary worldwide. His decision in 1992 to purchase the Mariners franchise and keep Major League Baseball in Seattle as a 'gesture of goodwill to the citizens of the Pacific Northwest' is legendary in this region.

"Mr. Yamauchi will be remembered for his role in moving forward the opportunity for Japanese baseball players to play in the United States. He will forever be a significant figure in Mariners Baseball history."

Yamauchi helped keep the Mariners in Seattle when he stepped in and purchased the team in 1992 at a time former owner Jeff Smulyan was looking to move the club to Tampa Bay.

Yamauchi got involved as a favor to the Seattle area, which was home to his Redmond, Wash., based Nintendo of America.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I am saddened by the passing of Hiroshi Yamauchi," Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "This visionary businessman quietly played a pivotal role in preserving Major League Baseball in the Pacific Northwest for generations, and we are grateful for his selfless gesture to help the fans of Seattle following a period of uncertainty for their local baseball Club.

"We are proud not only that he made the Mariners the first Major League Club with international ownership, but also that the franchise continues to represent its region with such distinction and strong global roots. I extend my deepest condolences to Mr. Yamauchi's family, friends and business associates."

Under Yamauchi's ownership, the Mariners built a strong relationship with Japan and had several outstanding Japanese players sign with the club, including 10-time All-Star right fielder Ichiro Suzuki and current standout right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma. Other Japanese players during Yamauchi's tenure have included former closer Kazuhiro Sasaki, reliever Shigetoshi Hasegawa, catcher Kenji Johjima and infielder Munenori Kawasaki.

Yamauchi's purchase of the Mariners made Seattle the first MLB club to have non-North American ownership. He passed day-to-day control of the ballclub in 2004 to Nintendo of America, led by Howard Lincoln, who is chairman & chief executive officer of the Mariners.

Yamauchi is most notable for his accomplishments at Nintendo, which he ran from 1949 to 2002, turning it from a playing-card company into an international video-game giant. Yamauchi helped bring about Nintendo's growth, developing the Family Computer and Game Boy consoles.

One of the richest men in Japan, Yamauchi stayed on as an adviser at Nintendo after 2002, but his role at the company had diminished over time.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Do people seriously not still know that the quality seal just meant that the game was legally on the system and nothing else?

antonz

I knew he owned the Mariners, but I didn't know he made a point to keep them in Seattle. Kind of neat to see a story about this on the MLB site.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130919&content_id=61080796&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea

Funny how things play out. Selig and crew were completely opposed to Yamauchi buying the mariners because he was a foreigner. Only changed their tune when the people of Seattle started calling MLB bigots and forced MLB to back off.

Even then he had to sign an agreement basically surrendering all power to an American unaffiliated with Nintendo.

Yamauchi on why he bought the Mariners:

"Japan has the United States to thank for its miraculous postwar recovery and economic growth, and Nintendo has also been allowed to do business in America," he said. "I owe a great debt to the United States, and I want do do everything in my power to pay it back."

StAidan

Feels weird to say, but this man quite literally changed my life by making Nintendo the success that it was. For that I am thankful.

Effect

RIP - Thoughts are with the rest of his family and everyone at Nintendo. Thank you for providing materials that played a big part in making my childhood (and life even now) an enjoyable one.

Has it been mentioned yet that Yamauchi is largely responsible (through his monetary donations) for the building of a cancer hospital in Kyoto? I see a lot of people in here assume he was just some clever and ruthless asshole businessman, but haven't seen too many mentions of his moments of generousness and charitable character.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Very sad news. Makes me wish we could turn back time by 30 years and live what he created all over again.

Syckx

Everyone that posts on this board owes this man some gratitude for the contributions his company made to the industry. The guy could be an asshole, but that doesn't diminish what he did to bring the industry forward and revive it in the 80's. Anyone who has made major business decisions knows the right decision isn't always the popular one. He defended his company's interest. What a jerk.

Best wishes to his family, and those that were close to him. He is appreciated.

MrMephistoX

I was so touched that NPR spent quite a bit of air time memorializing him today. I really liked the analogy of him as a baker without taste buds: he had a knack for identifying talent and what the consumer wanted without necessarily experiencing it. What a mad genius!

Reversed

I don't know if it was here or in another videogame site (or if my mind's tricking me!), but wasn't he or Yokoi presented in a videogame interview titled "The Nostradamus of Videogames"? It had a very striking quote that I can't recall at the moment. If you can recall what I'm saying, please clarify it. Thank you in advance.

This thread is driving me to read that Game Over book. The snippets I've read are truly interesting and informative.

Lumyst

Well, I just finished up my little Mario 64 playthrough in honor of Mr. Yamauchi, the joy of playing around with the 3D camera, the view from the top of Bob-Omb's mountain while throwing around King Bob-Omb, the game not interrupting you with tutorial but rather letting you explore and play around yourself, with signs to give tips just in case you need them. No Toad or Fat Purple Lumas or other characters yelling and screaming at you. (Mario also looks more like an adult too, or am I just imagining things.) Just a fun 3D world to explore and play around in without time limits. Once again, thank you Mr. Yamauchi, I had so much pleasure with the new 3D worlds born on the N64 and had the pleasure of being introduced to video games through your console. Oh, and I'll be sure to draw the blinds when playing X to make sure the room is nice and dark :)

Cheerilee

Shocking news. He was a real legend.

RIP.

At the time, the Seattle Mariners were losing money (or breaking even, or whatever), so the owner wanted to sell the team and get out of the business. The only willing buyers were ones who wanted to move the team to a new city. The team openly said "This is Seattle! We have tech giants and billionaires living here! How can it be that nobody is willing to operate a baseball team in this great city?"

Minoru Arakawa stepped up and asked Yamauchi if he was willing to buy them.

AniHawk

Shocking news. He was a real legend.

RIP.

At the time, the Seattle Mariners were losing money (or breaking even, or whatever), so the owner wanted to sell the team and get out of the business. The only willing buyers were ones who wanted to move the team to a new city. The team openly said "This is Seattle! We have tech giants and billionaires living here! How can it be that nobody is willing to operate a baseball team in this great city?"

Minoru Arakawa stepped up and asked Yamauchi if he was willing to buy them.

and then george w bush and bill gates, among other team owners at the time, tried to block or at least protested the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom