• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN - 66%OFF, Denuvo removed, Demo Available, MAC version released

What does community content mean in this game, are those extra missions made by other users or something?

anyway im so buying this once i get home.
Contract mode lets you pick any NPC as a target and then design an assassination around them. Basically an official version of the challenges that fans would think of in Blood Money and older games

significant amounts of content are gone forever from vehemently anti consumer practices.
probably still wont bite
if the content was "bad enough" that its "better" that it goes away forever why was it pushed as exclusive to incentivize early adoption and why was development money wasted on it

I take it you refuse to buy Spelunky because of the Weekly challenges there as well?

Amazing game. Never was really interested in any Hitman game but bought this based on the really positive impressions. It became one of my GOTY and a truly brilliant game. If you like tactical puzzle solving stealth with insane creativity and replayability then this game is definitely worth it. Loved it and my only regret was I wished I played each episode as soon as they released rather than waiting for the full game.

MUnited83

For you.
Uh, wasn't it? Entire swaths of content were just totally blocked off unless you were signed in and you could only play a limited version of the game.
That would be items/challenges. It has since been patched so you are only required to be online to unlock those items/challenges. After being unlocked, you can use them all in offline mode.

megalowho

significant amounts of content are gone forever from vehemently anti consumer practices.
probably still wont bite
if the content was "bad enough" that its "better" that it goes away forever why was it pushed as exclusive to incentivize early adoption and why was development money wasted on it
These are all very bad takes on elusive contracts and event based content in general. You should buy Hitman at 66% off to repent.

tsundoku

These are all very bad takes on elusive contracts and event based content in general. You should buy Hitman at 66% off to repent.
I bought it anyways because its price is very good for its value as a total product. But thats not a hot take the devs literally used that excuse in an interview as to why you shouldn't care about missing elusive targets

There is about as much point in buying a paid version of Spelunky as there is in buying a paid version of Cave Story

The freeware release was already completely definitive
Except for the improved visuals, new enemies, new areas, new terrain, new items, and so on

Mitch

Banned
Just played the demo. Aching to play more! Even with the 66% discount, I can't justify it since my gaming budget is shot for a bit.

Metalmarc

Bought back in January have not did a single elusive target, super still worth it, you are kidding yourself if you refuse to buy because of that, also possible it could be added back when season 2 comes out, doubtful but possible, i am just glad i got to play such an awesome game at all

5taquitos

There is about as much point in buying a paid version of Spelunky as there is in buying a paid version of Cave Story

The freeware release was already completely definitive
Um...

The paid version of Spelunky is most definitely the definitive version.

MUnited83

For you.
I bought it anyways because its price is very good for its value as a total product. But thats not a hot take the devs literally used that excuse in an interview as to why you shouldn't care about missing elusive targets

But that's not what they said. Like, at all. They said that the targets are best done during a limited time with limited tries, because they do not have the depth or the polish of the main targets. They are best played in one week, than basically being poked "holes" in it across the months.

Risette

A Good Citizen
elusive targets are really a bunch of nothing, they are one-attempt-only novelty missions whose value came from the shared experience of sharing your attempts with others as they released, there's really nothing special about the missions themselves, most of them were silly and unpolished...

releasing them all on their own would be dumb because you lose what made them worthwhile. but it's not a big deal anyways. trying to spin them as significant content is pretty lolworthy, they were fun diversions that rewarded early adopters; that's it. the core missions and challenges are the content and even as somebody who had the game early on i would say that i've spent maybe a two hours total on elusive targets and like 60 hours on everything else.

Damn shame newcomers basically miss out on most of the costumes and elusive targets. I'd love to buy it again on PC because god, it's a perfect Hitman game, but that's kind of a bummer.

Now that they run their own shop - they can go back in and edit the code and make the exclusives and targets available. One can hope

elusive targets are really a bunch of nothing, they are one-attempt-only novelty missions whose value came from the shared experience of sharing your attempts with others as they released, there's really nothing special about the missions themselves, most of them were silly and unpolished...

releasing them all on their own would be dumb because you lose what made them worthwhile. but it's not a big deal anyways. trying to spin them as significant content is pretty lolworthy, they were fun diversions that rewarded early adopters; that's it. the core missions and challenges are the content and even as somebody who had the game early on i would say that i've spent maybe a two hours total on elusive targets and like 60 hours on everything else.

I don't think most people care about the missions, rather than the rewards from them that are exclusive to them

I'm sure they'll cycle through old elusive target missions as time goes on.

The most work that likely went into elusive targets are the intro videos to them, and maybe having someone record a few lines of unique VO, but otherwise the elusive targets were the equivalent of one-shot attempts to see if you could pull off a kill through improvisation.

Was going to get the game at the summer sale but alright.

I played about 9 hours of Paris before this, though I really don't care for the Escalation missions. That you can't save and that they have to be done in a specific way isn't very exciting, even if the concept is interesting.

CHC

Possibly the best post-launch support of any single player title I can recall, especially considering the shaky business situation with Square / sales figures / future uncertainty.

That's actually very true. I didn't realize this until I started trying to do the elusive targets alone, at home, rather than with my friend on the couch. They're all about the emergent, funny moments that come up trying to kill the target, and from knowing that you only get one shot. I remember my friend controlling the sniper rifle on the rooftops of the Marrakesh marketplace, and me 2 inches from his TV scouring the crowd for the target. Or a madcap strategy to break into the Thai hotel's security room involving several rounds of breach charges and one serious leap of faith right to the safe. That kinda thing.

Truthfully, they're not super creative, nor difficult, but it's about the scarcity principle.

People who missed them can rest assured that they do not comprise a significant or meaningful chunk of content, and that it's really more about the idea that you can only try once rather than the missions themselves.

megalowho

Nice! Agreed that the amount of replay value packed in Season 1 is well worth the price. Elusives are just one side dish out of many, and once you try one I find people are both more receptive to them conceptually and less critical of their timed nature as the FOMO feeling subsides. I do see a future where they rotate them down the line again if there's enough of a new audience asking for it, a large part of the appeal as mentioned is the discussion afterwards.

Foffy

Banned
I never actually did any of the elusive targets, isn't the concept essentially the same as daily/weekly challenges in roguelikes and other games?

Think of them as unique missions within the context of a main mission. So, you have to kill a new target with new elements in the level, and have one shot at this.

Not sure if this is the same as the challenges you allude to. I look at them as kind of standalone missions, which makes their limiting nature profoundly frustrating. Some missions really use a lot of unexamined locations in the main missions.

Zebetite

Banned
hitman was my second favorite game last year and i only bothered with like 7 elusive targets

there are better player-created contracts out there, and those aren't even very good. the watercooler in-the-moment everyone-is-doing-this-at-once aspect of them was all they had going for them-- the targets themselves often had less interesting routines and scripts than random npcs on the map.

anyone sitting around worried that they missed some sort of boat-- well, you wouldn't be catching the boat if they patched the elusives back in. there's barely anything to patch back in. a few lines of dialogue and a character model.

Think of them as unique missions within the context of a main mission. So, you have to kill a new target with new elements in the level, and have one shot at this.

Not sure if this is the same as the challenges you allude to. I look at them as kind of standalone missions, which makes their limiting nature profoundly frustrating. Some missions really use a lot of unexamined locations in the main missions.

those locations are examined in explicit detail in escalation missions, which are the ACTUAL side content worth digging into

Revan

I've never played Hitman before but I'm a HUGE fan of MGS and SC...

Will I like this? I watched a bit of it on Youtube and I'm intrigued.....is there enough here like MGS (forget the supernatural elements of the game - I'm thinking pure gameplay) or SC that will keep me hooked?

Huh. I wonder if this is stuff that was mandated by Square, but now that they're free, they can change?

It's a great game. I hope they can get season 2 out sooner rather than later.

ghostjoke

Banned

Will I like this? I watched a bit of it on Youtube and I'm intrigued.....is there enough here like MGS (forget the supernatural elements of the game - I'm thinking pure gameplay) or SC that will keep me hooked?

It's more like a James Bond movie where you infiltrate open ended levels in plain sight using disguises and set up Rube Goldberg machines to murder people. If you enjoy the waiting for the perfect moment to strike aspect of MGS/SC, then it'll scratch the itch in a different but equally satisfying way, but it's not about using light and obstacles to stay hidden. It can become that if things go awry but not the core.

Zebetite

Banned

hitman is a VERY different kind of stealth game in that about 80% of the stealth gameplay revolves around finding, acquiring, and wearing disguises-- which will enable you to walk right into guarded areas without raising even a little bit of suspicion. you generally have to do this several times to get through a level and get close to one or more assassination targets, who are typically surrounded by potential witnesses. you then gotta figure out how to kill the target while alerting as few witnesses as possible-- generally by staging one of several elaborate accidents in the environment-- and then you gotta get the heck out of the level. in this sense, it's less about abusing line of sight and cover mechanics and more about exploring the levels for "keys" (outfits) and opportunities to complete your overall objective-- sort of like stealth-adventure games instead of stealth-action games (but, when shit goes bad, you can still pull out a gun and try to take care of business as quickly and messily as possible)

the most defining characteristic outside of the disguise mechanic is definitely the sort of clockwork nature of the levels, which have a ton of distinct and non-hostile NPCs carrying out fairly average routines- wining and dining at a party, or going for a stroll in a courtyard. a level's got a TON of these NPCs, and they'll all react to your actions in dynamic ways. they can be witnesses to crimes, unwitting accomplices in your assassination plots, or future victims because you want to steal their dang clothes. a level might have an event that's scripted to happen five minutes after you've loaded-- two random NPCs just meeting up and having a chat about some topic-- but you might fuck that scenario up by killing one of the NPCs. his friend, at this point, might go "what the heck, where's my buddy?" and go looking for him. this might throw an unexpected wrench in a plan, or you might somehow be able to use it to your advantage. this makes the levels INSANELY replayable, because the minute you deviate even slightly from a plan, it might fuck up literally the entire plan and force you to improvise.

if you're the sort of person who just broadly enjoys the idea of stealth games, you'll probably really enjoy hitman, and if you're into clockwork AI simulations that you can fuck around with at will, you've LOVE hitman. but if you wanna crouch-run through a series of well crafted obstacle courses, stealthily taking out anyone in your way, to get to the next story beat-- it's not that kind of game at all

I'll put it this way. SC Chaos Theory introduced me to stealth games, but Hitman Blood Money made me a fan of the genre. There's nothing else quite like the Hitman series, and the games that have tried to ape it have never succeeded in coming close

It's not MGS and it's not SC. It's a stealth/adventure game puzzle box where you explore expansive sandboxes, hiding in plain sight, and infiltrating places to set up complex accidents and assassinations, and then leave like a ghost. It's a series of gradual mastery, learning the levels and its clockwork of AI and events and interactive items, and then figuring out how to insert yourself into these ongoing scenarios and use them to your advantage

Hitman is the best game in the series; the complex and layered level design, the sheer amount of possibilities and options, the feast of additional content...it's incredible. You can play it for 100 hours and still have stuff to do.

Imagine Groundhog Day if Bill Murray was a trained bad-ass and had a specific target (or targets) in town to put down, and with very specific means - like poison, or a garrote, a sniper shot, or something even more specific and situational like dropping a chandelier on their head. Difficulty: Unlike Bill you also have to make it out alive and preferrably (but not always) without being noticed.

Each level in Hitman is a giant, multi-layered Groundhog Day all of it's own. Its nuts how many little stories are playing out in each one depending upon the time and area. Each NPC in these levels has their script and schedule that will play out in a particular way unless you intervene to change things, and when things change they open up opportunities for you to work your magic, whether through disguises, "accidents", or more direct means. And each attempt in a location has you waking up and taking a different stab at it.

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe its more like Westworld, and you're the man in the black hat, and ... well you probably get the idea.

Stoze

What makes them worthwhile is only having one shot at them, which they could still implement if they were to release them again for people who missed them. Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said, they are a drop in the bucket compared to the overall package and people shouldn't feel like they are missing out by coming in later for a great price.

IOI gets all the profit from Season 1 now btw.

Syriel

probably still wont bite

You must despise anything that is limited in any way, shape, or form.

It's not anti-consumer to have specific, timed events.

What does community content mean in this game, are those extra missions made by other users or something?

anyway im so buying this once i get home.

Yes. You can make your own assassination targets and share them.

Top Bottom