• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN - 66%OFF, Denuvo removed, Demo Available, MAC version released

Mutant

I hope they uncripple offline play.

Also while I personally like the idea, elusive targets seem to be a big turn off for a lot of people.

Just played the demo. Aching to play more! Even with the 66% discount, I can't justify it since my gaming budget is shot for a bit.

This is me... In the middle of a move and i have neither the time or the money... How long is this sale going? Do we know?

Mohasus

Quick question, should I play it in DX11 or 12?

Specs: i7 7700 and a GTX 970.

edit: holy fuck the stutter every time the game saves. It wouldn't be a problem in a normal game but this is practically dark souls in this regard.

WoolyNinja

At least try this game out with the free tutorial levels. This turned out to be one of my favorites from last year. So much fun once you learn the level completely.

Ketch

This is single player only, right? I'd rather buy on PC but would go PS4 if there's multiplayer.

There's asynchronous multi in the form of leader boards, daily challenge type missions, and user created missions.

Just buy it duuuuuuude! It's worth it just for the single player.

Deadstar

Also while I personally like the idea, elusive targets seem to be a big turn off for a lot of people.

Huh? Elusive targets are one of the coolest things to ever be in a video game. The sense of accomplishment and intensity is unparalleled.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This is always-online, right? So what happens if IOI shuts down?
I have to imagine that they will get around to patching that out now that SE is out of the picture. It's probably a lot of work but I'd be surprised if it didn't happen soon (before S2).

Holy crap, when did IO add Professional Mode? I'm having a blast going through Paris on one save, unable to rely on my old strategies due to the changed guard placements. Things feel so different now that security cameras have become a threat. Love it. :)

For the love of god people, buy the game so IO can continue to live.

Holy crap, when did IO add Professional Mode? I'm having a blast going through Paris on one save, unable to rely on my old strategies due to the changed guard placements. Things feel so different now that security cameras have become a threat. Love it. :)

They added it in January. It's pretty great. IO have supported the game so well for over a year. They deserve a second season.

Gamezone

Gold Member

They might, but the always online is built into the game design. Unlike some games, it might take some effort to remove.

Huh? Elusive targets are one of the coolest things to ever be in a video game. The sense of accomplishment and intensity is unparalleled.

Ehh, I kinda agree with Mutant. I mean, anyone buying it now can say that they will have a worse/incomplete experience than someone that bought the game earlier, because of all the missed Elusive Targets. It does put me off quite a bit that I will never be able to play a bunch of neat missions.

But in this case PS+ subscribers are paying to get a discount equal to that on other platforms.

PS+ discounts have always worked like this. You are not paying for exclusive discounts, it's the other way: non-payers are getting penalized with lesser discounts occasionally.

I remember many examples of games going 75% off for everyone in one sale, then a month later Sony introduces a Plus sale, where the same game is 75% off again but only for Plus users, the non-Plus scrubs get only 50% off. It's not really an exclusive sale because non-Plus users could also get 75% off in that earlier sale, but at that time Sony just decided to give a penalty for non-Plus users.

Same goes for these Double Discounts that Hitman is now part of. The game has had higher non-Plus discounts before, but for this particular sale Sony decided to activate the non-Plus penalty.

horkrux

That's actually very true. I didn't realize this until I started trying to do the elusive targets alone, at home, rather than with my friend on the couch. They're all about the emergent, funny moments that come up trying to kill the target, and from knowing that you only get one shot. I remember my friend controlling the sniper rifle on the rooftops of the Marrakesh marketplace, and me 2 inches from his TV scouring the crowd for the target. Or a madcap strategy to break into the Thai hotel's security room involving several rounds of breach charges and one serious leap of faith right to the safe. That kinda thing.

Truthfully, they're not super creative, nor difficult, but it's about the scarcity principle.

People who missed them can rest assured that they do not comprise a significant or meaningful chunk of content, and that it's really more about the idea that you can only try once rather than the missions themselves.

Gary Busey tho

Harlequin

Ehh, I kinda agree with Mutant. I mean, anyone buying it now can say that they will have a worse/incomplete experience than someone that bought the game earlier, because of all the missed Elusive Targets. It does put me off quite a bit that I will never be able to play a bunch of neat missions.

But listening to people who've played them, it sounds to me like part of their appeal was that they were temporally limited and one-shot. I mean, you also won't get the experience of playing one episode and waiting for the next one with everyone else which some people also seem to have enjoyed (while others probably didn't). There are just some experiences that are difficult to replicate later on and that's something you have to live with when you're buying a game long after release.

amdb00mer

So happy for IOI. I think they are handling the Hitman IP acquisition in the best possible way. I hope they get a good bump in sales so they can start working on either a new season for users or a straight sequel.

Hybris

Hard to buy in now after missing all the cool elusive targets.

Tbh this shouldn't hold you back from purchasing if you are interested. Elusives weren't very impressive to me. I stopped doing them around #12 because most of them felt like they were thrown together quickly and I think it showed. Also the whole "you only get one chance" aspect is moot since the game allows you to restart the mission so long as you haven't killed the target. That just killed it for me.

The game is well worth it at this price, elusives or no elusives. There's still one elusive left, so if you wanted to try out the concept, now's the time to jump in!

Vaporak

Sucks to see they didn't get rid of the online requirements for their single player game when they patched out denuvo; i'll be passing on this still.

Majukun

wait?denuvo removed?
maybe now i can actually play this game,when i tried back then i kept being kicked out of the game every 2 minutes for my flimsy internet collection...
was that due to denuvo?

Javier23

Banned
People, ellusive targets are ellusive. It's a cool concept that involves you getting one shot at them. You're not missing out on anything, they'll keep coming for as long as they churn out seasons. If you want permanent, alternative targets to those of the main missions you got both the featured contracts and all the other user contracts. If they remove the ellusivenes factor to the ellusive targets you don't have much more than new contracts, of which there's already thousands. Their uniqueness isn't that unique, and were they not ellusive they wouldn't be adding much to the game. Their intrinsic value is mostly dependent on the high stakes of their temporary nature.

Every day you don't play a multiplayer game you miss out on thousands upon thousands of unique matches that you'll never have a chance to be a part of in while reaping the loot rewards. Just think of the unique voiceover and patterns of everyone there. Won't someone think of the children!

Get the game. It's hundreds upon hundreds of hours of fun (just ask BernardoOne) that you can expect over the next few years if you're into what it has to offer (
and IO doesn't fold
).

MisterR

I've never played a Hitman game, downloading the demo. Hopefully it clicks and I'll pick up the whole game. The price is right.

Tbh this shouldn't hold you back from purchasing if you are interested. Elusives weren't very impressive to me. I stopped doing them around #12 because most of them felt like they were thrown together quickly and I think it showed. Also the whole "you only get one chance" aspect is moot since the game allows you to restart the mission so long as you haven't killed the target. That just killed it for me.

The game is well worth it at this price, elusives or no elusives. There's still one elusive left, so if you wanted to try out the concept, now's the time to jump in!

Yes, they never were 'you only have one chance!!!". You could restarted them before reaching combat, and most people abused that.
Hell, if you really want, you can limit yourself to play without saving and only one attempt to make it feel like an Elusive mission.

TheDanimal

How should I go about playing the demo to know if I'll like the game? I've played through the levels once already, should I try them without the hints? Are the opening levels as open ended as the other levels in the game?
Everything about this game sounds amazing.

How should I go about playing the demo to know if I'll like the game? I've played through the levels once already, should I try them without the hints? Are the opening levels as open ended as the other levels in the game?
Everything about this game sounds amazing.
Try them without hints. There are tons of opportunities you missed along the way in those missions alone

While the objectives/challenges do give you hint of what's possible, I wouldn't recommend looking at them unless you really need to. Part of the fun is discovering and noticing thing naturally.

And the main levels dwarf the tutorial missions. If anything, the military facility feels more like a Blood Money level.

One thing I liked about Blood Money is being able to set the game on the easiest difficulty and just mess around with the silly AI and try to be the worst possible assassin that ever existed.

Is the AI too smart this time around to be able to do stupid stuff?

Top Bottom