• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution E3 Screenshots And Previews

oYy0d.jpg

IpNET.jpg

TzfPn.jpg

5IUrc.jpg

hitman_247655b.jpg

hitman_absolution_wallpaper.jpg

hitman_absolution_picture.jpg

hitman_absolution_screen_1.jpg

hitman_absolution_pic.jpg

Video of visceral and immersive meatshields, takedowns and shootouts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0w21Cvuq_A

Hanmik said:

Here we see one of the first innovations in the game that probably will immediately get a mixed reception from the series' fans. For while Hitman sits in hiding behind a bookcase, the ambient colors suddenly dim, and the ushers will light up in a golden glow, so you can see their entire figure through walls and other obstacles. A bright line in the floor shows the route the nearest cop follows - with a direct path to Hitman.

The new ability called Instinct, and is part of the IO's objective to make up with some of the more outdated gameplay mechanics in the series. "The old hitman games are obese and they have their place, but they are quite severe and is heavily based on trial-and-error," says Blystad. "We wanted to create an experience that captures the soul of the old games, but makes them available to the modern player."
Fuck you IO.

"With the Instinct, you can see from your hiding that he will go left and you can go right to avoid him, instead of just blindly choosing one of two directions. We have removed much of this trial -and-error, and instead give the player a real choice, because you now know what you decide. "

and:
Elverdam continues: "Sometimes in previous games got a feeling that they had an enormous amount of options, but you do not necessarily understand the consequences to those choices.
Dumbing down confirmed. Choice = bad.

They took all the wrong clues from the old games.

and
It all depends on how demanding you are asking for himself. Though Hitman: Absolution will be easier to go to than the previous Hitman games, you can still challenge themselves by going after a completely "clean" and make the playthrough. All course designers should be able to prove that their orbits can be implemented without needing to kill other than the target. And you will be discovered, it is not the world. Where the earlier games were very binary - either you were discovered or were you not - this time much more gradually. Guards will investigate further before the alarm. And you have been rumbled, you can clear the witnesses of the road before they escape, and so is your disguise still good enough.
Dumbing down confirmed.
And those stupid statements about "how demanding you are to yourself" - I can challenge myself to play Duke 3D "stealth" as well, doesn't make it a stealth game.

D4Danger said:
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6317536/hitman-absolution-first-look-preview

It wasn't all pulling off clean kills and lurking in the darkness for 47, though. The jig was up once he grabbed a police officer and turned him into a hostage/human shield for the purpose of making a slow, backward ascent up a flight of stairs. As the cops swarmed around him with guns aimed squarely at his head, the music began to swell. Then, 47 reached the top of the stairs, and without warning, he broke the cop's neck to make a mad dash for the top floor of the library. He quickly stepped out onto a fire escape followed by a dramatic cutscene that revealed the bad news: All that was waiting for him outside was a torrential downpour and one angry police helicopter shining its searchlight directly on him. All of this was accompanied by music that, by this point, had grown into full-on industrial metal--a thunderous soundtrack to match the heightened action.

Then, 47 fled from the helicopter and its blinding light in a slick chase scene capped off by a slow-motion leap from one building to another. Things calmed down as he found an unfortunate Chicago cop wandering the rooftops by himself, who quickly became fodder for the chance to steal a policeman's outfit. Indeed, once again, you'll be able to borrow outfits from fallen foes to disguise yourself among your pursuers. What followed was a moment of relative comic relief, as 47 strolled from the roof into an apartment filled with potheads either scrambling to hide their drugs or too stoned to notice the man dressed as a cop who just walked into their hideout. But 47 had no issues with them, as he snuck out into the hallway where another bunch of cops were knocking on doors of other apartments in search of our bald hero.

Every time 47 passed by a group of cops, the scene seemed to slow down to half speed as he pulled his cap down low to avoid being caught. This all happened in a slick, stylish way that managed to feel less like a break in the pace and more like the subtle ebb and flow of dramatic tension. Soon enough, after another series of dramatic near encounters with police officers, 47 managed to sneak out of the building and out onto a crowded train platform. At this point, the camera pulled out, and 47 was little more than a speck in the darkened, rain-soaked crowd. Escape successful.

this sounds amazing but I hope it's not all like that

Other questions abound, as well. During this demo, it always seemed like there was an extremely useful weapon placed right before an enemy encounter, whether it was the aforementioned power cord or bust or the bong sitting right before the doorway of the pothead hideout that you could use to bludgeon a pair of police officers who stormed in looking for you. Game director Tor Name mentioned that he wants Absolution to be less punishing than previous games, but we're hoping that doesn't simply mean every solution and every kill is spelled out for you in great big letters. After all, the payoff of experimentation has always been one of the hallmarks of the franchise. And beyond difficulty, there's also the question of how the game design will change with 47 being on the defensive rather than the offensive. Traditionally you've always been the man in control, sneaking into a target's stronghold and taking your sweet time studying the best way to assassinate him. Now, you're seemingly on the run from everyone--a la Jason Bourne--and that change is bound to have some consequences.

still some unanswered questions about how the game plays it seems
bjaelke said:
But as 47 barreled through an apartment building on the run, making his way through innocent bystanders (and taking out a cop with the aforementioned bong-kill), as he made his way to the lobby of the apartment in a stolen police uniform only to stumble on a SWAT team command center, as the player had to make the choice to grab a gun and kill everyone or try to hide in plain sight, it felt like a Hitman game to me. And when 47 walked out of the building, turned and made his way to a busy street and lost himself in the crowd, it felt like... coming home.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1173624p1.html
Sn4ke_911 said:

http://michaelbbrown.typepad.com/blog/2011/06/e3-2011-hitman-absolution-preview.html
Working his way up the building triggered a sequence that was more appreciably cinematic than in previous Hitman games. He ran up a staircase, taking out a number of cops below by shooting a chandelier. A police helicopter was called in, whose relentless machinegun-fire was destroying his cover, but he leapt thrillingly to a nearby building.

hitmanabsolution.jpg

by interfectum

edit: edited in the other screenshots showing combat and the helicopter escape
edit²: video with gameplay
edit³:added interfectums image

Jintor

Ahoi-Brause said:
Dumbing down confirmed. Choice = bad.

It is, in fact, possible for a game to be accessible and at the same time hardcore. Fuckin' look at Bayonetta. That game is hardcore as shit but is still super-accessible for people who just want to button mash and see cool shit. Raising one is not always going to be at the expense of the other. You don't know jack squat for certain about this game yet. Instinct can be turned off. It sounds like a glowing outline in Human Revolution or auto-play in Bayonetta - there for people who want it, and easily disabled for those who want out.

Nobody knows anything for certain yet. Chill out.

Interfectum

It may sound as if the Hitman has become very easy, but it need not be. "One of the problems with old hitman game was that unless you were an expert in the game, would you look like a real little killer," says Tore Blystad. "This time it's not hard to be a good assassin. Instead, it's hard to keep the situation under control, and hold yourself back from going berserk. We'd rather try to tempt the stealthy players to go into a more action -oriented direction. "

Such bullshit.

Jintor said:
It is, in fact, possible for a game to be accessible and at the same time hardcore. Fuckin' look at Bayonetta. That game is hardcore as shit but is still super-accessible for people who just want to button mash and see cool shit. Raising one is not always going to be at the expense of the other. You don't know jack squat for certain about this game yet. Instinct can be turned off. It sounds like a glowing outline in Human Revolution or auto-play in Bayonetta - there for people who want it, and easily disabled for those who want out.

Well so now they are turning it into bayonetta?
Same genre and all...
if you want a recent example how making a game more "accessible" looks like for the stealth genre: splinter cell: conviction.

Also: I said it before - Hitman was always accessible. I know of nobody who didn't get it on the first try. Even I got it when I was 14 when I played the first game.

It's just that you can't be a complete moron when you play the game - but for people who just want to shoot up shit there's kane and lynch after all.

There is no statisfaction anymore when the whole game is build arround takedowns and other shitty mechanics. The game will lose it's sandbox appeal (which they are slandering as "trial and error" now)

paskowitz

Jintor said:

Thank you. Logic prevails. Its like driving aids in Forza or GT. People moaned the games had gone soft. Then they promptly turned off all the aids expecting a cake walk and exploded into a wall. Anyone can play the game, but the hardcore setting is there if desired.

Interfectum said:
Such bullshit.
Yeah!

It may sound as if the Hitman has become very easy, but it need not be. "One of the problems with old hitman game was that unless you were an expert in the game, would you look like a real little killer," says Tore Blystad. "This time it's not hard to be a good assassin. Instead, it's hard to keep the situation under control, and hold yourself back from going berserk. We'd rather try to tempt the stealthy players to go into a more action -oriented direction. "

That's exactly what I was worried about - it's a fucking 3rd person shooter with tacked on optional stealth now.

Munin

Ahoi-Brause said:
blah blah blah

I am as much of a skeptic and fan of the old games as you but your breathless hyperbole about this game in this and the other Hitman threads is getting fucking annoying and obsessive. We haven't even seen any proper gameplay yet. Besides, all that ranting about the "Instinct" mode is completely moot, since it appears to be optional.

Just chill the fuck out for a second until you actually have the proper justification to rant endlessly.

Interfectum

My problem is not the training wheels they attached for idiots to enjoy the game, but the fact they want Agent 47 to look like a "bad ass killer" (a true hitman would want to look normal and slink in and out sight unseen... not look like a fucking action hero) and encourage going in with guns blazing. They even said they want to encourage stealthy players to go for action. Not really what I wanted to hear, but oh well.

RedStep

MMaRsu said:
It's just... why spend so much time on the shooting portion? True Hitman fans don't care about any of that stuff.

Jesus, who defined "true" Hitman fans, again? I've been playing since the original on PC, and I like to go on a rampage every now and again. The controls for that thus far have been janky as hell. I welcome the change.

Also, the developers seem to agree; Blood Money has
achievements for mass murder, and the last level is a pure shootout
. You people have short and narrow memories.

The game has so much freedom so you can play however you want, which could be as a ghost that causes accidents everywhere or as a screwdriver-wielding psycho. Why do you think it had such a large arsenal when you literally never need to use any of them?

They got the stealth thing down pretty well (except the murderous AI), why wouldn't they work on the broken part?

Interfectum said:
They even said they want to encourage stealthy players to go for action. Not really what I wanted to hear, but oh well.

I think the key word was "tempt", not "encourage". Many games tempt you to take the easy way out, but reward you for not doing so. The previous Hitman games (on Professional) punished you for deviating, since a shootout was generally just a quick trip to death.

I think opening the path and letting both players be successful, but with a greater reward for stealth, is smart and shouldn't change your game at all.

derFeef

Interfectum said:
My problem is not the training wheels they attached for idiots to enjoy the game, but the fact they want Agent 47 to look like a "bad ass killer" and encourage going in with guns blazing. They even said they want to encourage stealthy players to go for action. Not really what I wanted to hear, but oh well.
No, they said it's hard to keep stealthy because the other routes are fun as well.

Ahoi-Brause said:
That's exactly what I was worried about - it's a fucking 3rd person shooter with tacked on optional stealth now.
Man. What am I reading here?

Munin said:
I am as much of a skeptic and fan of the old games as you but your breathless hyperbole about this game in this and the other Hitman threads is getting fucking annoying and obsessive. We haven't even seen any proper gameplay yet. Besides, all that ranting about the "Instinct" mode is completely moot, since it appears to be optional.

Just chill the fuck out for a second until you actually have the proper justification to rant endlessly.
I'm pre-raging, it's like preordering.
So when the game releases and it's a stinker you all will rage and I can just say "told ya!"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Interfectum said:
My problem is not the training wheels they attached for idiots to enjoy the game, but the fact they want Agent 47 to look like a "bad ass killer" (a true hitman would want to look normal and slink in and out sight unseen... not look like a fucking action hero) and encourage going in with guns blazing. They even said they want to encourage stealthy players to go for action. Not really what I wanted to hear, but oh well.

8MBgF.jpg

obonicus

Ahoi-Brause said:
Also: I said it before - Hitman was always accessible. I know of nobody who didn't get it on the first try. Even I got it when I was 14 when I played the first game.

Always? Why did they make Blood Money far easier than the previous games? The games had bad controls up until Blood Money. Remember how much harder it was to apply the fiber wire/anesthetic to targets? How you couldn't ever run? Or the ninjas?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I wish NickIO, and others who've played the demo and press alike, come in here to adress this situation.

Interfectum

I still have faith the game will be good. Like I said, my biggest concern is if all the levels are as linear as the preview level or not. I want more levels like the Opera House or the Bayou wedding. I hope those are still possible in this game.

Sn4ke_911

A thread title change would be nice. So others can see those amazing shots too.

ZombieFred said:
I wish NickIO, and others who've played the demo and press alike, come in here to adress this situation.
Yeah. Too much rage in here for nothing.

RedStep said:
Jesus, who defined "true" Hitman fans, again? I've been playing since the original on PC, and I like to go on a rampage every now and again. The controls for that thus far have been janky as hell. I welcome the change.
Going on a rampage was only fun because it was not what you are supposed to do in the game. I remember hours of fucking arround in the traditions of trade mission, I disovered tons of bugs just from messing arround in ways the game didn't expect me to.

If the game expects you to go on a rampage the appeal is gone.

obonicus said:
Always? Why did they make Blood Money far easier than the previous games? The games had bad controls up until Blood Money. Remember how much harder it was to apply the fiber wire/anesthetic to targets? How you couldn't ever run? Or the ninjas?
Well blood money did a great job at making the hitman series even more awesome with gread additions like pushing people down stairs.
But it didn't fuck over the whole concept of the series to cater to people who didn't get the games in the first place.

Also you could always run when holding down shift.

Sn4ke_911

Hanmik said:
you "forgot" this shot..

http://www.gamereactor.dk/media/76/hitman_247655b.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

That's an old one. I just wanted to post the new ones. The last screen was too big for imgur. I'll try with abload.de.

obonicus

Ahoi-Brause said:
But it didn't fuck over the whole concept of the series to cater to people who didn't get the games in the first place.

This doesn't either, though, as far as we know. My point is what you're complaining about you'd probably have complained about had anyone described Blood Money's changes to you.

Also you could always run when holding down shift.

You could run, but you it'd immediately bust your cover, because Russian soldiers HATE running. In Blood Money it increases suspicion, but it doesn't mean they start shooting at you.

JCtheMC

Ok after reading the Danish preview and doing some math i'm starting to feel the hype.

If i'm reading it correctly, you can avoid the helicopter chase altogether by choosing a completely different way to exit the level.

Jintor

Everyone is currently working off a embargo-broken translation of an article that nobody can guarantee wasn't simply pasted into Google translate.

obonicus said:
You could run, but you it'd immediately bust your cover, because Russian soldiers HATE running. In Blood Money it increases suspicion, but it doesn't mean they start shooting at you.
Yeah, but that was just a weird design choice they fixed in blood money.
Blood money was a great game, so why not build upon that blueprint?
Turning the game from a stealth game with optional rampage into a shooter with optional stealth is not the correct way of fixing things.

Spat_triate

I'm waiting for more impressions before I pass judgement, but so far it just sounds like they're some mechanics more accessible. The Hitman games are all about level design, so if they get that right I won't complain.

Interfectum

But for all the marvel, there's a nagging concern that IO Interactive may have diluted identity of the Hitman games in pursuit of a bolder, more direct game. There are at least enough glimpses to suggest IO hasn't forgotten just what made the series so popular in the first place. In the end, Absolution's success will depend on whether that identity emerges fully from the shadows.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-07-hitman-absolution-preview-preview

derFeef

Jintor said:
Everyone is currently working off a embargo-broken translation of an article that nobody can guarantee wasn't simply pasted into Google translate.
Even worse, screenshots.
47 is hiding - third person cover shooter!
47 is kicking someone in the groin - close quarter action game!
47 is holding a gun - no stealth mechanics anymore!
47 dressed like a policeman - uhm... third person cover shooter!

Interfectum

IO begins to move their man through the dilapidated book den, and the obvious gameplay influences on Absolution make themselves known. From Splinter Cell: Conviction, we have the countdown/panic warning in the centre of the screen - with two points moving closer together to inform how near we are to being rumbled - and an X-ray mechanic that lets us see the boys in blue through walls.

From Batman: Arkham City, the overhead HUD, indicating where gaggles of red-dotted enemies lie, and where helpful pockets of space have opened up. Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid 4 have also clearly been on IO's playlist in the last year, not least judging by the game's new disguise twist, in which you can reduce the heat on your tail by performing special impersonations of NPCs.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305624/previews/hitman-absolution-agent-on-fire/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRD7M8dMGxQ
HEY GUYS LOOK HITMAN 2 WAS A DUMBED DOWN SHOOTER
LOOK AT THE FIREFIGHTS GOING ON
SHOTGUNNING DUDES
SMG'ING DUDES
SNIPERAN' DUDES IN THE FACE WHILE BEING SHOT
THIS AINT LIKE THE FIRST GAME
I DONT SEE HIM SILENTLY KILLING ANYONE
GAME OVER MAN, HITMAN 2 SOLD OUT FROM THE ORIGINAL
I CAN TELL FROM A FUCKING TRAILER
YES I AM A PSYCHIC
Oh wait, it was an awesome game that focused on stealth, no matter what the trailer led you to believe (trailers are for attracting interest, the hardcore fans already know what to expect, they're trying to generate new interest, and suck people in with regenerating powers and have them come back for the awesome game play at higher difficulties with no magical powers)

Some of it sounds awesome, some of it sounds a little shaky, especially the chopper chase. I welcome making the shooting mechanics better (after all, Hitman is about choice) but if the ability to get SA on every level is made a little thing on side, as opposed to a major part of the Hitman experience, a lot of people won't be happy.

slopeslider said:
SHOTGUNNING DUDES
SMG'ING DUDES
YES I AM A PSYCHIC
Oh wait, it was an awesome game that focused on stealth, no matter what the trailer led you to believe (trailers are for attracting interest, the hardcore fans already know what to expect, they're trying to generate new interest, and suck people in with regenerating powers and have them come back for the awesome game play at higher difficulties with no magical powers)
You are completely missing the point.
With hitman 2 nobody had reason to doubt what the focus of the game was going to be. With recent developments in the game industry and some strange statements from IO interactive there was much reason for doubt.
The two new previews sound a little better though... but they might as well be unprofessionally hyped because the party was nice, let's wait and see.
I am very cautious about this new approach to hitman.

web01

Hype for this is quickly deflating.

Why try fix things that are not broken?

All they needed to do was improve the controls + better ai + better graphics for a true next gen hitman game.

Ahoi-Brause said:
You are completely missing the point.
With hitman 2 nobody had reason to doubt what the focus of the game was going to be. With recent developments in the game industry and some strange statements from IO interactive there was much reason for doubt.
The two new previews sound a little better though... but they might as well be unprofessionally hyped because the party was nice, let's wait and see.
I am very cautious about this new approach to hitman.
I'm GLAD they're putting in things to attract more people, the game will sell better for it, we'll still have our classic hitman as long as we dont play on hand holding easy mode, and the game will sell better for it, bringing in more money for sequels and content.
They said themselves it can be turned off on higher difficulties, so why would they let you do that if they built the whole game around that one mechanic? That's like cod turning off health regen on veteran mode, it'd break the game designed around you having unlimited health

slopeslider said:
I'm GLAD they're putting in things to attract more people, the game will sell better for it, we'll still have our classic hitman as long as we dont play on hand holding easy mode, and the game will sell better for it, bringing in more money for sequels and content.
They said themselves it can be turned off on higher difficulties, so why would they let you do that if they built the whole game around that one mechanic? That's like cod turning off health regen on veteran mode, it'd break the game designed around you having unlimited health
Blood Money sold better than Kane and Lynch.
So why do you think people will be attracted by more linear shooting mechanics?
I'm also not that much in love with corporations that I am happy they are putting stuff I don't like in games because it might sell better that way to a specific target audience I am not part of?
I mean... seriously what the fuck kind of logic is that?
"Let's put shooting in mario because we might get 3 more sales while we alienated the rest of our customers"

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
slopeslider said:
SHOTGUNNING DUDES
SMG'ING DUDES
YES I AM A PSYCHIC

lol pretty bad example but nice try. The trailer tells you to stay silent, stay professional...

Jintor

Ahoi-Brause said:
Blood Money sold better than Kane and Lynch.
So why do you think people will be attracted by more linear shooting mechanics?
I'm also not that much in love with corporations that I am happy they are putting stuff I don't like in games because it might sell better that way to a specific target audience I am not part of?
I mean... seriously what the fuck kind of logic is that?
"Let's put shooting in mario because we might get 3 more sales while we alienated the rest of our customers"

The logic is pretty easy to see. Hitman has always had the possibility of getting into a massive combat system, and even in Blood Money combat was... well... poor. So let's keep the stealth being awesome, and improve the shooting also.

I'm trying to stay calm in the face of your relentless naysaying but it's getting pretty difficult.

Top Bottom