• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

SCB3

There's so much stuff packed in pretty much every location. A lot of small environmental interactions too. Music is absolutely phenomenal.
You can also customise your wand at Olivanders (type of wood, colour, length etc), aaaaah!

RDZxw8l.png

gEggDzy.png

i5No0ZT.png

9hZANs3.png

vJfl6DM.png

4cmmnJO.png
Hey look at that, can even play in Witcher language! Isn't technology wonderful

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Dynasty8

Two questions for those playing it:

1) How's the combat overall?

2) Does the game offer a decent challenge or is it easy like most triple A games? I'll even play on hard if I have to, but that'll most likely make enemies billyet sponges. :/

GHG

Gold Member
GHG GHG said you need to disable in steam. Haven't tried it yet.

I might have spoken too soon there. The controller is 100% recognised by the game and it automatically changes the button maps to the PS ones but I haven't felt anything with the triggers etc.

All we can hope is that it's just a bug at this point.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How's the writing? Good or Ubisoft level?
I’ve only played the intro (just been sorted, took 45 mins) and I think it’s been great so far - very much in line with the spirit of the books as far as a non-J.K piece can be.

rofif

Banned
Early PC impressions from me:

5800X3D, 4090, 32GB Ram.

• 4k native, DLSS upscaling off, ultra settings, all RT on (ultra) + DLSS 3 frame gen on = 80-90 fps
  • 4K DLSS quality, ultra settings, all RT on (ultra) + DLSS 3 frame gen on = ~105-120fps
  • 4K DLSS quality, ultra settings, RT off + DLSS 3 frame gen on = 120 fps locked
That's all I've tried so far since I settled on 4k native + RT + DLSS frame gen but nothing to be alarmed about as far as I can see. No issues with stuttering yet etc. The game compiles shaders upon booting the game so that's probably why, but so far it seems solid. I think I love Nvidia's fake frames.

Haven't managed to get any decent screenshots since I'm playing in HDR and screenshots always come out too dark when HDR is turned on but here's one from the opening area anyway:

TgPOs5.png

Also this game has the best fucking hair options I've ever seen for black men in a videogame I've ever seen. It's fantastic, meanwhile the white purple haired whales are crying? I don't get it. Clowns.
Giving fps numbers with dlss3 is like measuring penis length starting from the butt
(game looks good.... maybe I should get pc version instead of ps5 afterall)

btw. Can I get a huge afro like I do in every game character creator? (last glorious usage in Saints Row 2022)
fc3PKQ7.jpg

Last edited:

Eotheod

Do we have to start the game for the pre-order bonus? Won't probably play straight away as I've got Gotham Knights to finish up.

Krathoon

Gold Member
The PS5 exclusive is DLC, so you can't unlock it with a hack on the PC version. So, you have to wait a year.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Random question - is there a way to highlight my own posts here so it's easier to spot when scrolling?
Your own posts will be highlighted on the left, where your avatar is, in blue (for light theme) or grey (for dark theme).

Banjo64

cumsessed
The level of detail at the start of the game in

Gringots

Let’s me know straight away that this is going to be an unbelievably faithful game.

chris121580

Aside from the other positive things others have mentioned, I can’t express enough how much charm this game has. This development team has absolutely nailed the feel of what a Hogwarts game should be

Native dualsense support on PC by the way for anyone wondering.

Just make sure you first disable playstation controller support in the steam controller settings.
Sorry can you explain that? I'm digging around the menus and getting confused! Cheers

You guys have any advice for settings?

Download is finished now and I'm playing on XSX and an LG C8 OLED (so no 4K@120fps).

I'll start with fidelity/quality mode (I'm not someone who notices much difference between 30 and 60fps) and will heed the camera advice from earlier (acceleration all the way down, sensitivity up). Anything else?

Game is absolutely gorgeous! They deffo have some kind of memory leak problem on PC, it will randomly drop to 15fps for a good 10 seconds until it just snaps back to 60fps. Performance in the prologue was flawless though, really thought for a second that it might be one of the best performing launch day PC ports lmao.

Jin

Supposedly Nvidia driver drops tomorrow per their subreddit. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Got the PC version and having some issues. 4090/13900k/32gb ram. Issue is I had 1 crash so far and if I use Frame Generation it disables VSync which then introduces screen tearing. I have a 120hz display with VRR and it is fine if I turn off Frame Generation and turn Vsync back to on, but frame rate is not as good as with Frame Generation. Using DLSS in quality mode and getting range between 80-120fps. Range is better with FG but then I get screen tearing.

Does this have the day 1 patch? Also drivers not updated for the game so maybe that will help when drivers come out.

Oh I got banned for 2 weeks at that other place. I posted 2 days ago asking if anyone has input on the games performance on Series X and nothing happened...so I figured it was ok for me to mention that after having the game on Series X that it performs great and that I thought Quality mode at 30fps was the way to go. For some reason that was enough to ban my ass. Fucking idiots over there.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does this have the day 1 patch? Also drivers not updated for the game so maybe that will help when drivers come out.
My understanding is that the "Day One" patch is releasing Friday, and that Nvidia drivers for the game will release tomorrow.

nikos

This game is running an older version of DLSS. For those who want to use the latest version, you can download it at the site below and replace the file located in steamapps\common\Hogwarts Legacy\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Nvidia\DLSS\Binaries\ThirdParty\Win64

Could improve performance/visuals.

EDIT: For those playing with RTX on. Apparently if you disable RTX (while it's enabled) without restarting the game (therefore not applying) it keeps RTX on but improves performance. Not sure why, and I have yet to experiment with that.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
First, are there no horses in fucking Hogwarts; the fuck is pulling this carraige. B, is there really no Exclusive Fullscreen in this? And purple, pretty good looking game; haven't gotten out of the opening yet - and am totally expecting to get absolutely murdered on my system (only 16GB's of RAM), but hanging in so far. Finally, your character is ENTIRELY too happy to be involved - nice change from the gruff and already bitter and world weary characters we usually get.

. . .only negative - that cursor speed in menus is ridiculously slow and I hate that it's got the "colored" icons despite clearly having native DUALSENSE support. I like the flat white icons as it doesn't distract from the UI aesthetic.

Certinty

Is the side content as bad as some early impressions were saying where it’s all literally full of bland repetitive side quests? I sure hope not.

imsosleepy

First, are there no horses in fucking Hogwarts; the fuck is pulling this carraige. B, is there really no Exclusive Fullscreen in this? And purple, pretty good looking game; haven't gotten out of the opening yet - and am totally expecting to get absolutely murdered on my system (only 16GB's of RAM), but hanging in so far. Finally, your character is ENTIRELY too happy to be involved - nice change from the gruff and already bitter and world weary characters we usually get.

. . .only negative - that cursor speed in menus is ridiculously slow and I hate that it's got the "colored" icons despite clearly having native DUALSENSE support. I like the flat white icons as it doesn't distract from the UI aesthetic.
Lol its a lore thing. An animal is carrying the carriage but u can only see the animal if u have watched someone die

jshackles

I kinda wish there was a way to upgrade my copy to the Deluxe edition to play early now. But I bought it on GreenManGaming and redeemed it on Steam so no refunds. Steam seems happy to charge me $70 but they can fuck off with that.

MP!

You need a funky screen with funky hdmi cable, I think it’s 2.1 or something on those lines but maybe 1440p as well?
yeah maybe the cable?

From what I can tell
Fidelity is like Highest resolution and texture settings without raytracing
Fidelity with raytracing is the same as above but with adjustements to quality to fit raytracing (I actually think this mode feels better)
Performance is 60fps mode
Balanced is basically VRR mode? maybe...
HFR is max frame rate mode as fast as it can go.

those last two can only be done on certain monitors/tv's that support it

Last edited:

MP!

Does your house have an impact on your spells/abilities?
no
The house impacts your house robe color and the few characters you can initially interact with but nothing else really. Its more of an identity

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom