• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy PC Performance Thread

The framerate is definitely unstable if you enable RT. I don't know what the deal is but this game clearly needs an optimization pass.

I'm often at 60 fps running around Hogwarts but the moment I set foot outside at the Transfiguration Courtyard, the framerate tanks down to 40 fps.

Generally, the game seems to perform all right. I would like it to do a better job of maintaining a consistent framerate but I haven't encountered any major bugs or crashes and I've noticed no significant stuttering issues. Going through doors very rarely causes a short load time of 1-2 seconds but I've noticed this only very occasionally roaming around the castle. For most part, opening doors is instantaneous for me.

5800X3D, 3090, 32 GB RAM
4K/Ultra + DLSS Balanced + RT Reflections + RTAO + NO RT Shadows + RT tweaks applied + DLSS dll updated to 2.5.1

RT tweaks:

Update DLSS: https://github.com/beeradmoore/dlss-swapper

Last edited:

nikos

There is no traditional fullscreen mode. This windowed fullscreen mode is locked to the resolution windows is running at.

It's pretty shitty. They've effectively locked out downsampling.

You can always change your desktop resolution and use DSR if you have an Nvidia card.

Locked the game to 60fps and have RTX on. no frame drops and the game is looking better

but the game is still stuttering a lot. i have the 60fps cap enabled in game but going to try capping it in the nvidia driver now to see if that makes any difference.

any tips to improve stuttering?

sertopico

Locked the game to 60fps and have RTX on. no frame drops and the game is looking better

but the game is still stuttering a lot. i have the 60fps cap enabled in game but going to try capping it in the nvidia driver now to see if that makes any difference.

any tips to improve stuttering?
More RAM and VRAM, or play without RT. The game looks great also without. On my 3080 it was stuttering the whole time, after mounting the 4090 it's been a day/night difference.

Maybe they will also fix it through a patch soon...

Last edited:
More RAM and VRAM, or play without RT. The game looks great also without. On my 3080 it was stuttering the whole time, after mounting the 4090 it's been a day/night difference.

Maybe they will also fix it through a patch soon...
I already have 32GB and a 4080 with 16GB VRAM. The game is using up to 21GB RAM and ~13GB VRAM.

I'll see if lowering the textures or something helps. Enforcing frame cap in nvidia is a little better but still a lot of stuttering. It seems to mostly be in hogwarts. I'll try turning off RTX as well.

b0uncyfr0

Here are some more options to try out for GameUserSettings.ini :

[SystemSettings]
r.TextureStreaming=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.AsyncCompute=1
FullscreenMode=0
LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=0
PreferredFullscreenMode=0

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.HZBOcclusion=1

[/script/engine.engine]
bSmoothFrameRate=0

So far, these are rather mixed - im sure somene more knowleagable can try them out and comment :)

Trying to force fullscreen mode (0) does something - at least the game knows its none of the pre defined options but i still couldnt see any of my VSR resolutions :pie_thinking:

okvjSIR.png

Last edited:

sertopico

I already have 32GB and a 4080 with 16GB VRAM. The game is using up to 21GB RAM and ~13GB VRAM.

I'll see if lowering the textures or something helps. Enforcing frame cap in nvidia is a little better but still a lot of stuttering. It seems to mostly be in hogwarts. I'll try turning off RTX as well.
I see. At what res are you playing? The game is quite memory taxing at 4k maxed out with rt on.

Are you using FG right? I think that maybe that 60 fps lock might give you problems.

Based on my testing the best thing is forcing vsync on from nvcp, setting unlimited refresh rate ingame, and enabling fg+dlss. No stuttering at all. I own a 1440p gsync monitor and an LG CX which is gsync compatible.

Last edited:
This game makes me think my i5 10400f and 3070 is a prehistoric rig. Stutters like a bitch. I saw my 16gb ram was nearing 100% utilization - I just ordered 16 extra GB RAM, hope it makes a difference

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.HZBOcclusion=1

Careful with this setting. This only gives an improvement for AMD GPUs, and even then, only in certain games.
On NVidia GPUs it can reduce performance.

Also consider that disabling texture streaming forces more data to be put into vram. This can make things worse for people that have low vram.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
All of them. Moved to NVME, vsync in control panel, updated DLSS, RT off, shadows and fog medium, high priority in task manager, disabled CFG. Is there anything I'm missing :D?

You are limited by ram and vram, at the same time. So the game is probably hitting the swap file constantly.
You'll have to lower settings. Especially texture resolution and turn off RT. Using DLSS in lower quality levels, might reduce some vram buffers.
And of course, you should consider getting more ram. At least this way, the GPU can try to get data from main memory, instead of hitting the swap file.

winjer

Gold Member
B560 Tomahawk Wifi. i7-11700k.

This is the RAM i have. GSkill Ripjaws V Series 16GB. Ive heard not to mix and match or even buy two sets of the same RAM so just going to go with 32 GB for now.

If you are going to upgrade, you might get something faster. A 3600 MT/s kit would be better, as CPUs also like fast ram.

I see. At what res are you playing? The game is quite memory taxing at 4k maxed out with rt on.

Are you using FG right? I think that maybe that 60 fps lock might give you problems.

Based on my testing the best thing is forcing vsync on from nvcp, setting unlimited refresh rate ingame, and enabling fg+dlss. No stuttering at all. I own a 1440p gsync monitor and an LG CX which is gsync compatible.
I'm playing at 1440p with gsync monitor too.

What is FG? if you mean frame generation then yes I have it on. The game can't maintain 60fps without it as it drops to ~40fps at times.

I have Vsync enabled in nvidia globally. For the Hogwarts .exe I have the game capped to 59fps and in game fps is unlimited.

my full pc spec is 9900K, 32GB, RTX 4080, running on nvme ssd, and latest version of Windows 11 with the newest nvidia drivers.

I set texture quality to High instead of Ultra and disabled RT Shadows which seemed to help a little. I'm now going to try completely disabling RTX. it's a shame that i would need to turn it off when i'm getting a solid 60fps but the pacing is not great.

Last edited:
You are limited by ram and vram, at the same time. So the game is probably hitting the swap file constantly.
You'll have to lower settings. Especially texture resolution and turn off RT. Using DLSS in lower quality levels, might reduce some vram buffers.
And of course, you should consider getting more ram. At least this way, the GPU can try to get data from main memory, instead of hitting the swap file.
Yeah upgrading my GPu right now is a no no as I'm waiting for the next gen so let's see if 16gb extra ram does the trick

Yeah upgrading my GPu right now is a no no as I'm waiting for the next gen so let's see if 16gb extra ram does the trick
Moving to 16GB will definitely help. I can't imagine using my previous card, an RTX 2080, to play this lol. My 4080 can see 13-14GB VRAM usage at times. RAM usage is anywhere between 16-21GB.

winjer

Gold Member
I'll try that next!

That won't do much in your case.
You might be able to improve things a bit by closing all other programs while playing.
You can disable services you don't need.

For example, press Win+R. Then type "msconfig". Click on the Tab "services". Tick "Hide All Microsoft Services".
You can probably disable all services in that list. Although some programs like Steam, require the "Steam Client Service" running at Startup.
Restart your PC.

You can also open Task Manager, go to the tab "Startup Apps" and disable everything. Expect SecurityHealthSystray".

Are you using Geforce Experience? Consider disabling or uninstalling it.
Are you using a third party anti-virus with a bunch of useless features. Consider removing it.
Are you using RGB control panel, printer control panel, or other useless stuff like this? Uninstall them.

Also, avoid using several overlays. Stuff like MSI Afterburner, Steam Overlay, Geforce Experience, and other programs.
This can cause conflicts, instability and loss in performance.
So pick just one when running games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So...does anyone knows what is the correct exe for the game? the one inside steamapps-common-HL or the one inside phoenix-binaries-win64?

Does the winjer winjer method helps with the stuttering if rtx is on? because i have almost none without rtx but reflections are super flat.

Last edited:
So...does anyone knows what is the correct exe for the game? the one inside steamapps-common-HL or the one inside phoenix-binaries-win64?

Does the winjer winjer method helps with the stuttering if rtx is on? because i have almost none without rtx but reflections are super flat.
I tried his method and it made the game a lot worse. Every time I cast a spell the framerate would tank to as low as 8-11fps. Outside of casting spells I didn't notice any difference walking around.

RTX makes the game look better but the game isn't bad without them. I'm just going to turn RTX off completely because it's making the game stuttering mess. I was getting 70+ fps with RTX on so locked it to 60fps but the game is still stuttering. Turning off RT Shadows helped a little but still not great. The reflections and AO make the game significantly better. I didn't notice any difference with RT Shadows on or off.

winjer

Gold Member

The CFG tweak helps with streaming data, as it does not require constant verifying for security.
The Fullscreen optimization and DPI scaling are just for frame pacing.

It'ss not likely it will do anything for RT effects.

DanEON

Last night I tested it on my PC (4070Ti, Ryzen 7600, 32gb Ram) and on PS5. And decided to get a refund on steam and play it on PS5. The game looks identical on both, just like a PS4 game, lol. So I will play on PS5 because of the dualsense features, which are great.
Performance on PC was fine until Hogsmead, there the FPS was a mess, going from 90 to 25 suddenly, then I had to open the menus and wait for the fps to normalize to continue playing again, but then 30s later the game would tank to 25 fps again lol. I think it's some RT bug, because with RT off the game runs great at 100-110fps (dlss balanced + FG) with no stutter. Doesn't seems to be a vram issue, it was below 11gb even with RT on. It's just bad implementation.

JeloSWE

not to mention lack of Dualsense support. a magical game calls for a magical gamepad that is out of ordinary. haptic feedback effects in this particular game > 4k ray tracing

experience > resolution+framerate

this is rare times I side with my boi Rofif. game is best played on PS5
I've got pretty good vibrations using my DualSense wired. But I had to turn off any DS4 3rd party programs like DS4W, then change the settings in steam Big Picture and specifically for the Hogwarts game like in the image and restart the game.

If problems persist you can delete this file and relaunch the game. ...\AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\pc_info.json

I don't have the PS5 game to compare to, but now there are vibrations when entering and exiting the menu and some more. Before the only time I got anything was when you shoot with R2.

7qZp7PK.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Last night I tested it on my PC (4070Ti, Ryzen 7600, 32gb Ram) and on PS5. And decided to get a refund on steam and play it on PS5. The game looks identical on both, just like a PS4 game, lol. So I will play on PS5 because of the dualsense features, which are great.
Performance on PC was fine until Hogsmead, there the FPS was a mess, going from 90 to 25 suddenly, then I had to open the menus and wait for the fps to normalize to continue playing again, but then 30s later the game would tank to 25 fps again lol. I think it's some RT bug, because with RT off the game runs great at 100-110fps (dlss balanced + FG) with no stutter. Doesn't seems to be a vram issue, it was below 11gb even with RT on. It's just bad implementation.
The problem is that the game is completely missing shadows in non rt modes. There is no AO to speak off. Everything looks washed out and sticks out like a sore thumb. All the texture work is ruined because of this.

I can’t return it because i got it from gmg and activated on steam. Fuck.

SlimySnake

If you are going to upgrade, you might get something faster. A 3600 MT/s kit would be better, as CPUs also like fast ram.
is this a good one?

winjer

Gold Member
is this a good one?

It's decent enough. Although timings are a bit high.
Still you can tighten then a bit more, manually, if you care to do so.

RTX is definitely the cause of the insane frame pacing. Turned it off and it's smooth as butter now. The game doesn't look bad without RTX so no real loss. Might even unlock the game so it goes back to 130-140fps.

Hopefully some patches fix whatever is wrong with RTX. It would be cool to enable it again.

SlimySnake

Just upgraded for this game from 16 GB of RAM to 32 GB, holy shit, stuttering is almosy non-existent now, and it's not a placebo, running in Hogsmeade is waaaaay smoother.
In rt mode? What gpu do you have?

I don’t have stuttering. Just poor performance as soon as i step outside with rt on

This fixed stutterings for me:

1. Navigate to "AppData\Local\Hogwarts Legacy\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" and backup "Engine.ini". Add the following to the bottom of the file and save it:
[SystemSettings]

r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True

r.GTSyncType=1

r.OneFrameThreadLag=1

r.FinishCurrentFrame=0

r.TextureStreaming=1

r.Streaming.PoolSize=3072

r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1

[ConsoleVariables]

AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdates=1

AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesDuringGamethreadUpdates=1

AllowAsyncRenderThreadUpdatesEditor=1

Source

Just upgraded for this game from 16 GB of RAM to 32 GB, holy shit, stuttering is almosy non-existent now, and it's not a placebo, running in Hogsmeade is waaaaay smoother.
Yeah I'm calling it now......if you've got 16 GB RAM don't bother with the game in its current state. A few patches later, we'll see, but for now get at least 32 GBs boys.

kizito

Yeah I'm calling it now......if you've got 16 GB RAM don't bother with the game in its current state. A few patches later, we'll see, but for now get at least 32 GBs boys.
In Hogsmeade, Ram utilization overall is at 24 Go (4K DLSS on Balances). No wonder the game was stuttering hard when I had only 16 Go.

SlimySnake

I cant even install DLSS Swapper. Ive installed the certificate ten times now but the app still shows as untrusted.

hollams

Gold Member
I cant even install DLSS Swapper. Ive installed the certificate ten times now but the app still shows as untrusted.
Did you make sure you picked local machine instead of current user? I installed it last night on Windows 11 and didn't have any issues.

ClosBSAS

not to mention lack of Dualsense support. a magical game calls for a magical gamepad that is out of ordinary. haptic feedback effects in this particular game > 4k ray tracing

experience > resolution+framerate

this is rare times I side with my boi Rofif. game is best played on PS5
I thought dual sense was working on PC...didn't somebody say it here? Imma try it out. I am a lucky one with zero issues so far, 10 hrs in

yamaci17

I thought dual sense was working on PC...didn't somebody say it here? Imma try it out. I am a lucky one with zero issues so far, 10 hrs in
yes gamepad works but haptics and adaptive triggers are not supported sadly
hundreds of people asked/pestered/requested the feature on PC but sadly they didn't care

Buggy Loop

The framerate is definitely unstable if you enable RT. I don't know what the deal is but this game clearly needs an optimization pass.

I'm often at 60 fps running around Hogwarts but the moment I set foot outside at the Transfiguration Courtyard, the framerate tanks down to 40 fps.

Generally, the game seems to perform all right. I would like it to do a better job of maintaining a consistent framerate but I haven't encountered any major bugs or crashes and I've noticed no significant stuttering issues. Going through doors very rarely causes a short load time of 1-2 seconds but I've noticed this only very occasionally roaming around the castle. For most part, opening doors is instantaneous for me.

5800X3D, 3090, 32 GB RAM
4K/Ultra + DLSS Balanced + RT Reflections + RTAO + NO RT Shadows + RT tweaks applied + DLSS dll updated to 2.5.1

RT tweaks:

Update DLSS: https://github.com/beeradmoore/dlss-swapper

Those effects now look correct. I don't know what happened honestly, they picked RT effects but made them meaningless. You either live with the fact that peoples will go for rasterization for performance, or go balls deep into RT for the visuals.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Those effects now look correct. I don't know what happened honestly, they picked RT effects but made them meaningless. You either live with the fact that peoples will go for rasterization for performance, or go balls deep into RT for the visuals.

They were scared to make the RTAO meaningful thinking we would get pissed about the performance hit :messenger_grinning_smiling:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Started getting the foliage lod bug.
Just all of a sudden every bush is white until I’m right on top of it. 😂

Lowering the martial setting all the way down Serbs to fix it. 👎

Topher

Gold Member
Started playing today and it looks like I'm capped at 60fps even though it is set to "uncapped". Doesn't matter what I change. Strange

Top Bottom