• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy sells more than 12 million units worldwide in two weeks, racking in 850 million dollars.

Rockondevil

As a Potter fan I'd absolutely buy a sequel in a heartbeat, though I do think it might not do as well.
The castle is done, people have explored it and that's a massive part of the franchise.

Yes they can add the ministry, dragon alley etc. but I'm not sure they are as big of a draw card.
Another school? That'd be interesting, but again maybe wouldn't draw the masses.

Either way, I'm in for whatever is next.

Last edited:
Don’t think that’s public information. It’s probably a couple of dollars per unit.

Don't they should in investor calls? WBD are publicly traded...

no one outside of WB Games and Rowling actually knows, which is honestly the best fucking part of all this. likely she gets something like $2 per sale, but they (WB) could have also just paid her a lump sum up front for usage of the IP and actual sales earn her nothing.

It could also be both.

I don't exactly remember in what context, but there was some info regarding residuals for celebs floating around 2013-2014, leaked from WB (pre-merger), that Christian Bale got $125M USD upfront + 5% in ticket sales and merchandise revenue for The Dark Knight Rises.

NahaNago

Yeah, I can see that. And it will definitely be close. I don't want to bet against this game right now because of how well it's performing, but it's really the lack of current gen until April, and then the tough competition starting in March that give me hesitation. Look what it's going up against:

• RE4 Remake
  • Dead Island 2
  • Jedi Survivor
  • Redfall
  • Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Diablo IV
  • Suicide Squad
I wasn't even thinking about most of those games when thinking about what would slow down hogwarts sales. My mind went straight to just
  • zelda
  • final fantasy 16
  • starfield
  • spiderman 2
Suicide squad is just so iffy. Like the DC brand can get a lot of folks to simply buy the game even with all of the drama.

Bekind

Neo Member
I mean seriously, HL is a good game, but is not as great as Spider Man. If Spider Man was released on all platforms, it would 100% percent be more popular and sold way more copies than Hogwarts Legacy.

Avalanche did a great job making Hogwarts, but they are nothing compared to Insomniac.

I mean seriously, HL is a good game, but is not as great as Spider Man. If Spider Man was released on all platforms, it would 100% percent be more popular and sold way more copies than Hogwarts Legacy.

Avalanche did a great job making Hogwarts, but they are nothing compared to Insomniac.

even on PS5 only, it will break 20m pretty fast i think. install base will be much larger by the end of this year. over 50m.

Last edited:
Got a feeling they might do a big Quidditch dlc
They would need to fix the broom controls or at least make them user configured or Quidditch will play like shit in the current game.

Also the engine is optimized for pretty graphics not frame rate so it would also feel like shit to play in the current game.

WB just needs to make a stand alone Quidditch game. No one ever tried after that one EA Quidditch game awhile back.

Doczu

They would need to fix the broom controls or at least make them user configured or Quidditch will play like shit in the current game.

Also the engine is optimized for pretty graphics not frame rate so it would also feel like shit to play in the current game.

WB just needs to make a stand alone Quidditch game. No one ever tried after that one EA Quidditch game awhile back.
Can't comment on the game itself as i'm waiting for the PS4 version to drop.

But if it's as you said then yeah,ake a seperate game. The old Quidditch game was pretty good for a licensed "sports" game. Had my fun with it and i'm not the biggest fan of HP

recma12

I'm dead at all the people in here saying "that will show the woke crowd!" because by all definitions the game itself is "woke". You have lesbians, transgender people, and people of colour all over the place.

Am ca. 50% into the main story and don't really see a problem.

Also doubt the vast majority in here has any issue with trans, lesbian or POCs existing or being in a game.
There is a trans barkeeper in the game but it is just a trans person working as a barkeeper, who cares?

Now, if the barkeeper would hold speeches about trans rights it would be a different story.

just_jr

I'm dead at all the people in here saying "that will show the woke crowd!" because by all definitions the game itself is "woke". You have lesbians, transgender people, and people of colour all over the place.

Just people living their lives without forcing any of their 300 genders bullshit and trying to make you feel guilty to be male/female with no homo feelings. That's fine by me

Topher

Gold Member

That's more about the franchise, though, than the developer. Insomniac has a richer history of video games as Avalanche was stuck with Disney shit for years, but Avalanche hit a home run with HL. Probably the biggest concern a lot of folks had about HL was the dev. They have proven the doubters wrong, I think.

Laieon

As a Potter fan I'd absolutely buy a sequel in a heartbeat, though I do think it might not do as well.
The castle is done, people have explored it and that's a massive part of the franchise.

Yes they can add the ministry, dragon alley etc. but I'm not sure they are as big of a draw card.
Another school? That'd be interesting, but again maybe wouldn't draw the masses.

Either way, I'm in for whatever is next.

I think there's a lot of small things they could add as a love letter to the franchise - wizard chess, a house cup, a triwizard tournament (I'd like to see that Ugandan school that Natsai went to make an appearance), quidditch, a patronus, ability to create a party (this feels like something that was originally in this game, but was cut; I definitely get the impression that at some point in development we could bring the friends we meet along the way with us), better enemy/monster variety using things that appeared in the books/movies but didn't make an appearance in this (a three headed dog, a basilisk, merpeople, pixies, pheonix', werewolfs, boggarts, dementors, etc...), throw in a morality system so that I could be become Tom Riddle if I wanted to...

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

The broom is so easy on a controller

gimmmick

Single player gaming live and kicking!!

Elden ring
God of war ragnarok
Hogwarts legacy

All Massive sellers. This is what people want! what are peoples most anticipated games this year? 3 single player games in starfield, zelda and spider-man. People are hungry for high quality single player games. So piss off with your live service cash grabs.

Diablo 4

Chiggs

Gold Member
I wasn't even thinking about most of those games when thinking about what would slow down hogwarts sales. My mind went straight to just
  • zelda
  • final fantasy 16
  • starfield
  • spiderman 2
Suicide squad is just so iffy. Like the DC brand can get a lot of folks to simply buy the game even with all of the drama.

Sure, I totally get it. The point I was trying to make was the sheer volume of games coming out this year puts Hogwarts in a tougher position than what Elden Ring had to contend with last year. There's no contest.

Again, I don't want to bet against Hogwarts but it might not be the cakewalk to twenty million that some folks think it could be.

And if it is, feel free to tar and feather me in town square. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Top Bottom