• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy sells more than 12 million units worldwide in two weeks, racking in 850 million dollars.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That didn't include PC (launched a year later), but still... 12+M is amazing, especially since this doesn't include PS4/Xbox One/Switch sales.
yuge-huge.gif
12 and million? Dude that’s low sales. Barely over million

just_jr

imagine announcing DLC for this game during a State of Play and Era completely in denial trying to ignore the show in their OT lol

DareDaniel

Banned
This whole thing is hilarious.

“Woke” game became big with bigots out of spite.
Woke game is canceled by the woke mob it panders to because the woke author didn't agree with 1 thing they said and the sales are celebrated by the average anti-woke youtuber that tells you to boycott anything woke just to mock the woke mob that tells you to boycott the woke game.

Nice. I'd expect it to drop off pretty significantly but it should sell another few million once PS4/Xbox One versions launch. With Switch too it could hit 20 million+ faster than Elden Ring.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game is very inclusive and "woke", so that makes no sense.
In what way is it woke, everything has always been inclusive and a little woke in some sense.
The original TNG series was woke if you really look at it, but it wasn't insane woke
it's the type you can agree with and are happy to see.
It's just extreme these days like they're smashing you over the head with it and that's what people people hate.

phant0m

r/games subreddit is deleting any post about this 😑
activists have really gone wild on this to absolutely no fucking avail. first era, then r/gcj then r/games

i'm still convinced this game sold more copies than it would have if they never said anything. we did it reddit!

i was permabanned from /r/games a few days ago for pointing out that r/gcj loved GFR for positively covering TLOU2 after they harassed them over HL

What is the % of residuals that JKR gets on every unit sold?

no one outside of WB Games and Rowling actually knows, which is honestly the best fucking part of all this. likely she gets something like $2 per sale, but they (WB) could have also just paid her a lump sum up front for usage of the IP and actual sales earn her nothing.

Last edited:

DareDaniel

Banned
In what way is it woke, everything has always been inclusive and a little woke in some sense.
The original TNG series was woke if you really look at it, but it wasn't insane woke
it's the type you can agree with and are happy to see.
It's just extreme these days like they're smashing you over the head with it and that's what people people hate.
The character creator is woke (you can be a male and choose the girl's dormitory because feelings, it also breaks the lore).
First trans character in the wizarding world.
Female character talks about her wife.
I don't know about anything about star trek, but none of this is what made the HP books so universally loved.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
For those of you talking JK Rowling royalties, I wonder too.

The $850M is retail dollars. So the wholesale price is around 70% of that, so you're still talking about $600M already. By the time the game sales end, it'll probably cross $1B cost price.

Just assuming $1B for sake of a benchmark, For every 1% royalty she pockets herself, that's $10M per percentage point. Or perhaps she has a flat fee like $2 per copy. Who knows.

Love it. JK has to do a tweet on the moolah to rub it in SJW faces.

She was already a billionaire. Sales from this game will barely be noticeable to her bank account.

kiryani

The craziest thing about all of this is this is very much phase 1.

The engine is so fucking good, Hogwarts is already built and functioning. The spells work great, everything is in place.

A sequel would just need to comprise of a few new spells, a few new enemy types, a few more interactions and that’s it, it’s ready to go and sell £1b first month.

Quidditch, Diagon-Alley, Gringotts, Azkaban, all pretty much untouched, and will be huge draws.

Not to mention the Tri-Wizard tournament which will be a whole game / story in itself. Then you’ve got other wizarding schools.

The source material ALONE ensure as long as they’re sensible with the timescales to get things spot on, something like 4/5 mainline games of this quality in 10 years , each with 3 paid DLC’s & a GOTY edition.

With a Xmas release schedule. This series will hit GTA/Pokémon numbers.

The engine is so fucking good, Hogwarts is already built and functioning. The spells work great, everything is in place.

A sequel would just need to comprise of a few new spells, a few new enemy types, a few more interactions and that’s it, it’s ready to go and sell £1b first month.

Quidditch, Diagon-Alley, Gringotts, Azkaban, all pretty much untouched, and will be huge draws.

Not to mention the Tri-Wizard tournament which will be a whole game / story in itself. Then you’ve got other wizarding schools.

The source material ALONE ensure as long as they’re sensible with the timescales to get things spot on, something like 4/5 mainline games of this quality in 10 years , each with 3 paid DLC’s & a GOTY edition.

You're vastly oversimplifying videogame development processes.

With that said, I would love to see a sequel that includes Diagon Alley, Knockturn Alley, London, and The Ministry of Magic.

And you're right, the idea of exploring other schools would be awesome as well.

Last edited:
Single player gaming live and kicking!!

Elden ring
God of war ragnarok
Hogwarts legacy

All Massive sellers. This is what people want! what are peoples most anticipated games this year? 3 single player games in starfield, zelda and spider-man. People are hungry for high quality single player games. So piss off with your live service cash grabs.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The character creator is woke (you can be a male and choose the girl's dormitory because feelings, it also breaks the lore).
First trans character in the wizarding world.
Female character talks about her wife.
I don't know about anything about star trek, but none of this is what made the HP books so universally loved.
Fair enough 👍

Go_Ly_Dow

Probably been said, but HW has been one of the vilified and attacked pieces of entertainment media in recent memory. Coverage of it banned on many sites like Era. However its now shaping up to be one of the most successful games in recent memory.

What does that tell you about how small the group of woke libtards is and how no one takes them seriously. They are just vocal and influence others with bully tactics.

The indsustry should wake up and no longer fear or listen to these deranged and mentally ill activists.

Woke game is canceled by the woke mob it panders to because the woke author didn't agree with 1 thing they said and the sales are celebrated by the average anti-woke youtuber that tells you to boycott anything woke just to mock the woke mob that tells you to boycott the woke game.
Basically

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably been said, but HW has been one of the vilified and attacked pieces of entertainment media in recent memory. Coverage of it banned on many sites like Era. However its now shaping up to be one of the most successful games in recent memory.

What does that tell you about how small the group of woke libtards is and how no one takes them seriously. They are just vocal and influence others with bully tactics.

The indsustry should wake up and no longer fear or listen to these deranged and mentally ill activists.
Top Gun Maverick has to be the most stereotypical macho man, action packed, guy gets the girl plot known to man. They even changed the plot where it really should be Kelly McGillis and Tom Cruise in their 60s still going at it, but they dumped that old bag for sexy Jennifer Connelly.

Fans and critics loved it.

If that movie cant convince Hollywood that traditional movies with 1980s plots can succeed, nothing will.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Elden Ring is gonna get wrecked! :messenger_open_mouth:

No, not really. Especially since the sales performance between the two games is roughly equivalent (with Elden Ring maintaining a slight edge), even though it's not an exact apples to apples comparison.

Well, there it is.

Probably looking at 30M+ lifetime then.

Tough to say, really. A lot of people here are losing their shit and acting like this kind of performance has never been seen before, but it has been.

It's also a lot harder to get to 20 million than it is to get to 10. And a fast start is just that: a fast start.

And 30 million is simply elite territory.

I wonder if it will break 20 million by the end of the year.

My guess is no. Here's why:

1. No last gen ports until April.
2. Incredible competition in March, April and May...and the rest of the year still holds a lot of mysteries.

Elden Ring had a whole lot of time to itself because:
  • Horizon sequel came and went
  • Destiny 2 is Destiny 2
  • GT7 is an entirely different kind of game and was not in direct competition with ER.
That said, 20 million is definitely feasible for Hogwarts. It's a successful title, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

NahaNago

My guess is no. Here's why:

1. No last gen ports until April.
2. Incredible competition in March, April and May...and the rest of the year still holds a lot of mysteries.

Elden Ring had a whole lot of time to itself because:
  • Horizon sequel came and went
  • Destiny 2 is Destiny 2
  • GT7 is an entirely different kind of game and was not in direct competition with ER.
That said, 20 million is definitely feasible for Hogwarts. It's a successful title, no doubt about it.
It will be close, I think. If they market it during the winter holidays plus harry potter day, have sales, and they will have last gen available, so the 8 million needed to hit that 20 million is possible.

Chiggs

Gold Member
It will be close, I think. If they market it during the winter holidays plus harry potter day, have sales, and they will have last gen available, so the 8 million needed to hit that 20 million is possible.

Yeah, I can see that. And it will definitely be close. I don't want to bet against this game right now because of how well it's performing, but it's really the lack of current gen until April, and then the tough competition starting in March that give me hesitation. Look what it's going up against:

• RE4 Remake
  • Dead Island 2
  • Jedi Survivor
  • Redfall
  • Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Diablo IV
  • Suicide Squad

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I'm dead at all the people in here saying "that will show the woke crowd!" because by all definitions the game itself is "woke". You have lesbians, transgender people, and people of colour all over the place.
Those people never gave any shit about the pandering or the developers,they desperately wanted this game to fail just to show off and label players as bigots , they tried harrassing reviewers,bloggers, banning any talk about Hogwarts Legacy,and it backfired spectacularly, JKRowling will make tons of 💰💳out of this,nobody cares about the trans character either they just complain its named Sirona lol

The people who bought this game because of the controversy actually got a cool surprise since the game is so high quality,plus a lot of comedy,the ones who won't play it ,however could have been happy as well, but they aren't because they are miserable and crazy

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Edit: nevermind, pasted the wrong info from my clipboard, now the original thread seems to be gone....

Last edited:

They can take any DLC or the Sequel in many directions for sure. Quidditch needs to happen.

Yeah, I can see that. And it will definitely be close. I don't want to bet against this game right now because of how well it's performing, but it's really the lack of current gen until April, and then the tough competition starting in March that give me hesitation. Look what it's going up against:

• Suicide Squad
'tough competition' & 'suicide squad'?...

Last edited:
Top Bottom