• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy sells more than 12 million units worldwide in two weeks, racking in 850 million dollars.

The game is pretty "woke" to be honest though.
Animated GIF

Comandr

Well deserved. It’s an excellent game. Well crafted and thoughtful with respect to its characters and the player. Can’t wait for the next one. Hope I get to do years 6 and 7.

Yoboman

And people were doubting a few months ago when I said this will be the best selling game of the year, beating Spiderman and Zelda

Nichewarts is not to be underestimated

Kabelly

I'm dead at all the people in here saying "that will show the woke crowd!" because by all definitions the game itself is "woke". You have lesbians, transgender people, and people of colour all over the place.

ByWatterson

I'm dead at all the people in here saying "that will show the woke crowd!" because by all definitions the game itself is "woke". You have lesbians, transgender people, and people of colour all over the place.

Nah that ain't woke. That's just life. And if it's a little anachronistic, who cares? It's cool that a universally marketed franchise can appeal to lots of kinds of people.

Wokeism is about misplaced rage, not good intentions.

Last edited:

then explain why this game is founding the extermination of trans people?

LMAO the PS4/Xbone/Switch versions aren't even out yet.

It's guaranteed to break 20 million sales by the end of the year but the real question is how much higher than 20 million. 25 milion? 30 million?

This would be amazing but hate to be a downer but can’t see any sales numbers in quotes. from Warner brothers hours played yes,

I’m sure they would have released this information if had broke the 10 million mark when they announced hours played.

would love to be wrong though because it would be fucking awesome if true.
I'm very confused by your comment. Forbes, Variety, MSN, and others all said 12 million sold. You're saying it's because WB themselves didn't post the numbers? Where would they have pulled it from?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah, stupid trans rights aside, the game is way too woke. For a setting of 1800s UK there needs to be WAY more white people. Its so immersion breaking.

Totally! The game also has way too much magic, ghosts, and mythical creatures for 1800s UK. Ugh yuck, SO WOKE!!!!!

Topher

Gold Member
This would be amazing but hate to be a downer but can’t see any sales numbers in quotes. from Warner brothers hours played yes,

I’m sure they would have released this information if had broke the 10 million mark when they announced hours played.

would love to be wrong though because it would be fucking awesome if true.

From the article:

"according to numbers released Thursday by the video game company"

These are official numbers.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Elden Ring sold 20M across 5 platforms in a year, and was the second best selling game of 2022 worldwide. Hogwarts did 12M across 3 platforms in 2 weeks... lol

I think there's a little more nuance here to discuss, even though it's not quite apples to apples.
  • Elden Ring sold 13.4 million copies worldwide by the end of March 2022, rising to 20 million by February 2023.
    • So, after about one month on the market, Elden Ring achieved more sales than Hogwart's has achieved currently...but Hogwart's has only been on the market since 2/7 (early access for Deluxe owners) and has fewer platforms to be sold on.
      • Again, it's not apples to apples exactly, but minimizing Elden Ring's performance doesn't exactly line up with the facts.
Now the question becomes...can Hogwart's keep up the sales pace and match/exceed Elden Ring, or will it drop off the charts like a Marvel Phase 4 movie, meaning that everyone who wants it already has it.

The lack of available platforms to be sold on will make it tougher on Hogwart's...but that also means the triumph will be even sweeter if they can pull it off.

TL;DR: The performance is roughly the same, it's a whole lot harder to make it to 20 million than 10 or 12, and there is incredibly stiff competition on the horizon in March, April, and May.

Last edited:
They are not forced on your face, and it's not the main focus of the game. If the game was not good everyone would try to find something to nit pick and this would be also part of the issue that would get highlighted but the game is good and some minor political ideology does not get that much of the focus. Also even though the game is mega woke that includes all the diversity gamut was attacked by its own community for something that was out of the game and the developers hands.

Top Bottom